1       2       3              3960      
       3962              4533       4534       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

futurshox
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3961 #1 · p.3961 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Aerosur wrote:
Also is there anything that should be avoided in aviation photography? I heard that you should never merge the wing with the horizontal stabilizer.

Thanks

I want to know who has been feeding you all these 'rules'!

OK, there are guidelines in photography (rule of thirds etc) but like any rules, they can (and in photography's case, should) be broken.

On the example above, on a personal level I do think that an image looks cleaner if aeroplane parts are not obscuring each other - as far as is practical - but that's not to say I'd never take such a shot. It all depends on the circumstance and your own personal preference on what looks good.

Oct 16, 2014 at 01:33 PM
ELinder
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3961 #2 · p.3961 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

DG303pilot wrote:
Was cleaning out some files from my shoot at Miramar and came across this one and was hoping someone could confirm what is happening. I know I always step on my brakes before retracting and I am assuming that this is what I captured with this flight of F-18's. It just seems like a very large amount of brake dust from the previous flight. Thoughts?

Thanks,
Jim

Never seen that before, but your explanation sounds plausible. Interesting that it is more on the left main, and on the b/g aircraft it seems to be the same wheel. Did you get the frames before or after that? Did they tap first one brake then the other, or are the brakes automatically cycled when they select gear up?

Erich

Oct 16, 2014 at 02:04 PM
Kenj8246
• • • • • •
p.3961 #3 · p.3961 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
... it becomes such a chore to go out shooting that it becomes work. There are enough things that are work, don't make something you love and that relaxes you a chore.

Amen to that!

Kenny, a longtime A2A lurker

Oct 16, 2014 at 02:16 PM
DanNehmer
• •
p.3961 #4 · p.3961 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Rodolfo,

Stunning photo our our pope! You have truly captured the light in his eye, thank you.

Dan

Oct 16, 2014 at 04:40 PM
nrferguson
• • • •
p.3961 #5 · p.3961 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

MMcGrath wrote:
Wonderful Rodolfo.
It's amazing the difference the Pope has made by welcoming people rather than chastising them.

+1 Both shots are good but no.1 is IMHO really super as the second one makes him look he has a double (treble??)chin
Niall

Oct 16, 2014 at 04:56 PM
Aerosur

p.3961 #6 · p.3961 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

On the example above, on a personal level I do think that an image looks cleaner if aeroplane parts are not obscuring each other - as far as is practical - but that's not to say I'd never take such a shot. It all depends on the circumstance and your own personal preference on what looks good.

Thanks eveyone for replying, Futurshox, can you elaborate a little more on the above, that being said does the image still work for you.

Thats kind of another struggle I am trying to overcome, when things block other things in airplane parts. I have been told about the rule of "continuation" being applied, to these situations. I would image the same thing, can be said in people photography, when you have a clothing item, covering some of the hand or arm, etc.

With all respect, I am a little concerned, that planes are not clean if parts are blocking other parts. I seen air to air photos as well do this.

Thanks Steven

Oct 16, 2014 at 05:01 PM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.3961 #7 · p.3961 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Apple just announced iMAC with 5K retina screen. It looks amazing.

Oct 16, 2014 at 06:23 PM
Go4Long
• • • •
p.3961 #8 · p.3961 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

of course they did...I just bought one of the "old" ones :P

Oct 16, 2014 at 06:44 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3961 #9 · p.3961 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Go4Long wrote:
I'm Joining Zimm on his A2G fun :P Koko's Crater and Hanauma Bay

Big fun, eh, Steve2?

Let me make a couple of comments about the two A2G images you posted on the last page, pertaining to the location of the horizon. The first one suffers a little from having too much empty sky, and also my eye wanders to the bottom of the frame and wants more. Unlike traditional landscape photography, I don't mind placing the horizon close to the edge of the frame: an aerial landscape is usually about the ground, not the sky, so the traditional, one-third/two-thirds placement of the horizon doesn't always make sense.

The second image you posted has a different issue: you can see from the converging perspective lines and the softening of detail near the top of the frame that the horizon is just out of frame, and it feels wrong not to have that 'closure', at least IMHO.

How do other people feel about any of this?

Oct 16, 2014 at 06:51 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3961 #10 · p.3961 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Go4Long wrote:
of course they did...I just bought one of the "old" ones :P

Oooh, I think my 'old' iMac 27" is due for a refresh...

Oct 16, 2014 at 06:52 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

nickjohnson
• • •
p.3961 #11 · p.3961 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
All three winners Nick, good luck! Keep us posted.

Well ….... The print competition went very well. Our club has about 60 members. We have no real stars but we do have a LOT of good photographers who are very evenly matched. It was an open (no set subject) colour print competition. We had 63 entries with a max of 3 prints per competitor – so there where at least 21 competitors. There where 10 awards – 3 commended, 3 highly commended, then 4,3,2,1. Points awarded and put into a season long league table. I got 2 commended with “Business As Usual” and “Fun”. I got second with “Avoiding Action”. Nobody got more than one award except me – I got all three of mine in the awards – chuffed I am! B&W print competition in a couple of weeks.

Oct 16, 2014 at 07:42 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3961 #12 · p.3961 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Aerosur wrote:
Thanks eveyone for replying, Futurshox, can you elaborate a little more on the above, that being said does the image still work for you.

Elaboration is pointless: there are no rules that apply universally. Artistic intent and technical competence are what count. Go thou and shoot airplanes. If you like an image, ask yourself why it works for you. When you begin to understand yourself you will start to develop a style all your own, and that's worth ever so much more than a slavish devotion to other peoples' rules.

Shoot. Study. Reflect. Adjust. (Lather, rinse, repeat.)

Oct 16, 2014 at 08:15 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3961 #13 · p.3961 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

nickjohnson wrote:
Well ….... The print competition went very well. Our club has about 60 members. We have no real stars but we do have a LOT of good photographers who are very evenly matched. It was an open (no set subject) colour print competition. We had 63 entries with a max of 3 prints per competitor – so there where at least 21 competitors. There where 10 awards – 3 commended, 3 highly commended, then 4,3,2,1. Points awarded and put into a season long league table. I got 2 commended with “Business As Usual” and “Fun”. I got second with “Avoiding
...Show more

That's just outstanding, Nick. Congratulations!

Oct 16, 2014 at 08:18 PM
JakeB17
• •
p.3961 #14 · p.3961 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
Elaboration is pointless: there are no rules that apply universally. Artistic intent and technical competence are what count. Go thou and shoot airplanes. If you like an image, ask yourself why it works for you. When you begin to understand yourself you will start to develop a style all your own, and that's worth ever so much more than a slavish devotion to other peoples' rules.

Shoot. Study. Reflect. Adjust. (Lather, rinse, repeat.)

Exactly. Don't get too caught up in the technical details and lose sight of the intent of the photo.

I recommend reading the book "The Photographer's Eye" to get an in-depth knowledge of how different compositional rules work. Then put it all in the back of your mind and go out and shoot. Try to break the rules and make it work.

Also, unless you're working as a photojournalist for a newspaper, shoot how it feels, not how it looks. I'll leave that open to interpretation.

Oct 16, 2014 at 09:06 PM
nrferguson
• • • •
p.3961 #15 · p.3961 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JakeB17 wrote:
Exactly. Don't get too caught up in the technical details and lose sight of the intent of the photo.

I recommend reading the book "The Photographer's Eye" to get an in-depth knowledge of how different compositional rules work. Then put it all in the back of your mind and go out and shoot. Try to break the rules and make it work.

Also, unless you're working as a photojournalist for a newspaper, shoot how it feels, not how it looks. I'll leave that open to interpretation.

Photographer's Eye is well worth a read (as are Michael Freeman's other books). As regards club photo competitions, this photo of mine got one of only four 10s in Division 1 at last week's opening projected image round. However, she really didn't like my other photo (not aviation) on the grounds of "I've been to Grand Prismatic Spring and there are much better and more colourful pictures to be taken of it! You were lucky to get the two people standing on the bench" Good grief, if luck isn't allowed half the most famous photos in the world be categorised as just "lucky"!!

Niall

Oct 16, 2014 at 10:36 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3961 #16 · p.3961 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

It's all subjective, Niall. Yes, that's the Grand Prismatic Spring and it's not very 'colorful'...but the fact that it's the Grand Prismatic Spring isn't what the photo is about!

Tell you what: I like it better than the F-18 shot.

Did I mention that it's all subjective?

Oct 16, 2014 at 10:41 PM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.3961 #17 · p.3961 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

A touch of "hood art" from the weekly hot rod show in Scottsdale.

Oct 17, 2014 at 01:08 AM
ELinder
• • •
p.3961 #18 · p.3961 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

MMcGrath wrote:
Apple just announced iMAC with 5K retina screen. It looks amazing.

Last week my 8 year old MacBook Pro died, so I bought a new 13 inch retina version. It's amazing, and talk about a huge leap in performance! Can't even imagine how good a 27 inch 5K display is. The down side is, it's going to show every little lapse in technique in vivid detail.

Erich

Oct 17, 2014 at 01:18 AM
Aerosur

p.3961 #19 · p.3961 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks guys for the suggestions and the recommendation into that book. The point made about just shooting and not worrying about what other people say, or taking there advice and rejecting or accepting it, is hard for me to grasp, I do not know why but it is. I think I am lacking in confidence.

That being said, Ill take a different approach to that image; based on the what was said here; I am assuming that you guys see it wrong> To me I think it works, because we know what is behind, and our mind should be able to "fill in" whats missing: But I am not confident that this is correct or if this is a valid excuse, and the part that throws me off is the "clean" part

Here is the image again, for you want have to scroll up:

Oh BTW I have noticed some really neat images being posted here, dont worry I am not overlooking them

Oct 17, 2014 at 03:41 AM
JakeB17
• •
p.3961 #20 · p.3961 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Quick one from the south side of LAX today.

That A340 is a beast.

Oct 17, 2014 at 03:58 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password