1       2       3              3955      
       3957              4532       4533       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3956 #1 · p.3956 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jeff W. wrote:
No matter how I try, I've yet to find an angle on the F-35 that I think makes it look like a seriously sexy super sonic fighter. To me, is just screams "weird". I suppose this is just further testament to my shortcomings behind the camera.

No, just your aesthetic biases from years of seeing different aircraft. Nothing wrong with that.

By the way, that's a beautiful image, with smooth and silky tones. And it's actually one of the neatest, most flattering images I've seen of the F-35. Regardless of your opinion of the aircraft, that's a job well done.

Oct 11, 2014 at 03:12 AM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.3956 #2 · p.3956 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
No, just your aesthetic biases from years of seeing different aircraft. Nothing wrong with that.

By the way, that's a beautiful image, with smooth and silky tones. And it's actually one of the neatest, most flattering images I've seen of the F-35. Regardless of your opinion of the aircraft, that's a job well done.

You're too kind Rodolfo, thank you. If I had been photographing in more typical Arizona blue skies and puffy white clouds, the 35 may have looked better.

When I have some texture or variation in a storm cloud layer, I can usually pull some detail from the background - like I did with the F-35. Especially if the clouds are a mix of dark (primarily) with splotches of white. However, in some cases the cloud layer was solid with little if any texture or contrast. That has been a real challenge for me with several images from this particular day. What little creativity I have in my brainpan was quickly exhausted trying different techniques to mine even a smidgen of texture and contrast from a nearly solid grey/white background. It was very frustrating that the Prowler and background cloud wall was nearly the same color/hue. Any efforts I made to separate the two was not effective. After many failed attempts, I finally embraced the wall of grey/white and tried to create a stormy mood. I'm not sure how well I like this particular effort, but it is much better (IMO) than the RAW file. I'm hoping that our British contingent can offer some helpful and much needed advise. Just to give you some context, this Prowler is less than 100' over the end of RWY 21L and I haven't cloned anything out of this image.

NO VISIBLE HORIZON

Oct 11, 2014 at 04:51 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3956 #3 · p.3956 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I know what you mean Zane, there are numerous vantage points around the perimeter roads. Post 9/11 it doesn't take too long for DFW's finest to come along and usher you to Pioneer Plaza.

Zane Adams wrote:
Thank you Jim,

The spot is for limitd use only...I don't hang out there for long, but I've never been ran off from there either. Just not an 'official' spot at DFW.

Map>>> http://goo.gl/maps/TlA1L

There tends to be some heat problems with shooting from there...but it lends it's self to some drama...for airliners that is...lol

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3954/15475639186_8fc9839989_b.jpg

Oct 11, 2014 at 03:07 PM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.3956 #4 · p.3956 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Now this is what I'm talking about when it comes to the sleek lines I associate with a super sonic fighter. I know the F-5 is old by today's comparisons, but it still looks good and nasty in my book. Especially in aggressor colors

This is "Sniper 00" going for the midfield break at MCAS Yuma.

CLOUDPIERCER

Oct 11, 2014 at 03:47 PM
nickjohnson
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3956 #5 · p.3956 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jeff W. wrote:
You're too kind Rodolfo, thank you. If I had been photographing in more typical Arizona blue skies and puffy white clouds, the 35 may have looked better.

When I have some texture or variation in a storm cloud layer, I can usually pull some detail from the background - like I did with the F-35. Especially if the clouds are a mix of dark (primarily) with splotches of white. However, in some cases the cloud layer was solid with little if any texture or contrast. That has been a real challenge for me with several images from this particular day.
...Show more

Dear Jeff, I hear you and feel your pain. All the modern “in service” jets I've encountered have the special, low viability, grey (ish) paint jobs. Said paint job is very effective – grey day = grey 'plane - purple blue dark stormy sky = same for 'plane. So white balance is a nightmare. Green fields and blue sky? Take your pick – one right the other not so much, or compromise between the two and it looks ….. “alternative”. No matter – as you point out – grey clag is the real downer. Getting any visual contrast I find very difficult. I usually end up with halos around the aircraft. I don't know if masking is the answer – I need to learn how to do that properly - to find out.

So I have no answer for you – but your kind enquiry deserves an answer. Accordingly, give me some time, and I will post a result – good, bad, or indifferent. In the meantime, could you post a raw version of your Prowler image?

Oct 11, 2014 at 04:00 PM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.3956 #6 · p.3956 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

nickjohnson wrote:
Dear Jeff, I hear you and feel your pain. All the modern “in service” jets I've encountered have the special, low viability, grey (ish) paint jobs. Said paint job is very effective – grey day = grey 'plane - purple blue dark stormy sky = same for 'plane. So white balance is a nightmare. Green fields and blue sky? Take your pick – one right the other not so much, or compromise between the two and it looks ….. “alternative”. No matter – as you point out – grey clag is the real downer. Getting any visual contrast I find
...Show more

Hey Nick - Any help, advise or counsel you could offer would be appreciated.

Oct 11, 2014 at 04:36 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3956 #7 · p.3956 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

One of my very good clients just acquired several F5's in flying condition. We're planning some cool air to air sessions with them.

Oct 11, 2014 at 05:00 PM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.3956 #8 · p.3956 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
One of my very good clients just acquired several F5's in flying condition. We're planning some cool air to air sessions with them.

If you need an elderly lens bearer for this assignment, let me know

Oct 11, 2014 at 05:44 PM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3956 #9 · p.3956 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

The Marine CH-53
Maybe not subtle, but highly effective...

Oct 11, 2014 at 06:34 PM
nickjohnson
• • •
p.3956 #10 · p.3956 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Here you go Jeff. This is bad even by my standards. Grey day, grey (ish) plane, oh, and two stops under exposed – just for good messure.

So this is the after – as in after DXO, Lightroom, CS6, SEP2, kitchen sink + taps.

Well yes it's full of noise – it's a Harrier.

…. and on firmer ground.

Oct 11, 2014 at 07:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

kdrk888
• • •
p.3956 #11 · p.3956 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jeff W. wrote:
No matter how I try, I've yet to find an angle on the F-35 that I think makes it look like a seriously sexy super sonic fighter. To me, is just screams "weird". I suppose this is just further testament to my shortcomings behind the camera.

On the other hand, the F-22 is sexy from every angle.. But I would still like to see an F-35 in flight. I don't think they have shown them on the east coast.

Douglas

Oct 11, 2014 at 09:25 PM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
p.3956 #12 · p.3956 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

You got that right Douglas!

Glenn

Oct 11, 2014 at 09:48 PM
kdrk888
• • •
p.3956 #13 · p.3956 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Glenn, I envy you guys who have opportunities to shot air to air!

BTW, I think I have read somewhere folks said the F-35 looks like a female guppy .

Regards,

Douglas

Oct 11, 2014 at 09:57 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3956 #14 · p.3956 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

nickjohnson wrote:
Well yes it's full of noise – it's a Harrier.

Oh, ha!

Oct 11, 2014 at 11:34 PM
Jan-Arie
• • • •
p.3956 #15 · p.3956 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Man Jeff that F5 is Tack sharp amazing..
Sorry no Photo it's in the middle of the night i'm off to bed

Oct 11, 2014 at 11:51 PM
Razor17
• •
p.3956 #16 · p.3956 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Zane Adams wrote:
Thank you Jim,

The spot is for limitd use only...I don't hang out there for long, but I've never been ran off from there either. Just not an 'official' spot at DFW.

Map>>> http://goo.gl/maps/TlA1L

There tends to be some heat problems with shooting from there...but it lends it's self to some drama...for airliners that is...lol

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3954/15475639186_8fc9839989_b.jpg

Sweet spot to shoot from Zane, but watch out of a unmarked Tahoe, if you are marked, several will arrive. People try to shoot on the fence in front of CAE and get nailed every time...

Oct 12, 2014 at 12:46 AM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3956 #17 · p.3956 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

UH-1Y Venom from HMLA-269 "Gunrunners" at WTI 1-15
Pretty sure the pilot is singing "Kill The Wabbit, Kill The Wabbit..."

Oct 12, 2014 at 08:42 AM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3956 #18 · p.3956 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Giant Grey Cuisinart...

Oct 12, 2014 at 09:02 AM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3956 #19 · p.3956 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Respect My Authoritay!
Marine providing perimeter security for the helo exercise in Yuma.

Oct 12, 2014 at 09:24 AM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3956 #20 · p.3956 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

"Double Nuts" bird from VMA-223 "Bulldogs" on short final into MCAS Yuma during WTI 1-15

Oct 12, 2014 at 10:08 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password