Upload & Sell: On
p.3947 #1 · p.3947 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Welcome Aerosur!

Oct 02, 2014 at 03:15 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3947 #2 · p.3947 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Those tanks would use up a lot of runway Rob! Thanks for fielding my video questions, I really appreciate it! I kind of thought that's what you would say about the Sony. Looking more and more like I'll end up with the Sony PXW-180. I think it will be a good piece of gear for me. I'm fiddling with a new Canon XA-25 and it's nice, but I have a bit of a psychological hurdle to get past with any camera in that small "camcorder" form factor. Doesn't feel like a pro piece of gear, I know that's probably ridiculous.

Have there ever been this many options in video gear before? Seems like Canon, Sony, Panasonic, release new cameras weekly. Difficult to make sense of. I just need to pull the trigger and not look back.

Oct 02, 2014 at 03:22 AM
Aerosur

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3947 #3 · p.3947 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks guys for the warm welcomes.

I hope I am not hijacking this forum Some really nice pictures I seen here so far, that tank shot is striking

Anyway, I am in a little state of confusion. Knowing me I like to ask the opinion of everyone that I can, So I asked a good aviation photographer, his views on deflected control surfaces. He stated that his preference was to see them as "clean" as can be, then how would this apply to Landing and takeoff aircraft? They are never clean. Well I don't know which way to go, all my aircraft pictures can be pointless if this is the case.

Thanks

Steven Here is three links to pictures. Note they are not clearly taking off. Is it okay?

http://www.airteamimages.com/mcdonnell-douglas-md-11_N951AR_skylease-cargo_117111_large.html

http://www.airteamimages.com/boeing-777_PT-MUF_tam-airlines_164693_large.html

http://www.airteamimages.com/boeing-707_9Q-CLK_democratic-republic-of-congo-_191351_large.html

Oct 02, 2014 at 03:55 AM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3947 #4 · p.3947 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Aerosur, you're overthinking this issue. Shoot what you like, share what you shoot, and see what kind of response you get. To my mind there is nothing wrong with anything you've posted so far; keep 'em coming!

Oct 02, 2014 at 04:07 AM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3947 #5 · p.3947 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Glenn Watson wrote:

http://www.machpointoneaviation.com/img/s7/v155/p880011194.jpg

Glenn

Guess I like the second one a little better, Glenn: better look at the pilot, for one thing.

Oct 02, 2014 at 04:08 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3947 #6 · p.3947 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Zim is right. Don't fence yourself in. Typically I wouldn't choose a shot with the landing gear in transit, but one of my favorite images of all time is a shot of a BBJ coming right at me with the gear at 45 degrees in retraction. Another favorite is a B24 image head on with the gear coming up. Both of those compositions were pre planned and everyone pretty much likes the dynamic feel. Shoot your vision and don't let preconceptions limit you.

I have a departure shot of a GV, straight up the tail with the gear going into the wells. That image consistently sells at Getty, year in, year out. A shot of something big on approach, with everything hanging out can be very cool too. There are no rules.

Oct 02, 2014 at 04:28 AM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
p.3947 #7 · p.3947 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
Guess I like the second one a little better, Glenn: better look at the pilot, for one thing.

yeah me too - its sharper too...thanks buddy!

Oct 02, 2014 at 04:31 AM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.3947 #8 · p.3947 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Aerosur, where are you from? And, remind me to buy you lunch when I get back from Italy in a few weeks. As noted by two of MATA's finest: don't overthink what is "acceptable" in a photograph. If you like it, shoot it, print it, frame it, and sell it. Don't worry too much about what others like or dislike.

Oct 02, 2014 at 05:53 AM
Rusty1
• • •
p.3947 #9 · p.3947 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

yipDog wrote:

Not aircraft but at least at the airport!
Chieftain parked near the heli hangars at FFZ.
We were supposed to shoot with some of the Falcon Warbirds planes but they got blocked in their hangar due to a few CAF planes needing to hide from the massive storms we got.
Jay and I had fun anyway...

http://yipdog.smugmug.com/Airplanes/Modern-Military/i-3dwMxrp/0/X2/Boom-X2.jpg

http://yipdog.smugmug.com/Airplanes/Modern-Military/i-556N5fQ/0/X2/Attack-on-FFZ-X2.jpg

I'd say when you can make a Tank look pretty you have really arrived as a photographer. Wonderful composition and use of light

Oct 02, 2014 at 10:17 AM
futurshox
• • • •
p.3947 #10 · p.3947 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
As noted by two of MATA's finest: don't overthink what is "acceptable" in a photograph. If you like it, shoot it, print it, frame it, and sell it. Don't worry too much about what others like or dislike.

If we all liked the same stuff, it'd be boring

Oct 02, 2014 at 02:15 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3947 #11 · p.3947 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Someone posted a clip of a brand-spanking-new CargoLux B747-8, taking off out of Paine Field on its delivery flight:

http://youtu.be/bnBr3enzW1I

Now, far be it from me to say that a long-standing tradition--in this case of rocking the wings in salute to the workers who built your shiny new airplane--should be discontinued. However, in this clip we see uncoordinated flight in close proximity to the ground. Showboating, hotdogging, or a demonstration of superior airmanship: whatever you want to call it, it looks like trouble to me.

Reminds me of the B-52 that crashed twenty years ago out at Fairchild AFB while practicing an airshow demo.

Oct 02, 2014 at 02:29 PM
nickjohnson
• • •
p.3947 #12 · p.3947 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
Someone posted a clip of a brand-spanking-new CargoLux B747-8, taking off out of Paine Field on its delivery flight:

Now, far be it from me to say that a long-standing tradition--in this case of rocking the wings in salute to the workers who built your shiny new airplane--should be discontinued. However, in this clip we see uncoordinated flight in close proximity to the ground. Showboating, hotdogging, or a demonstration of superior airmanship: whatever you want to call it, it looks like trouble to me.

Reminds me of the B-52 that crashed twenty years ago out at Fairchild AFB while practicing
...Show more

I'm with you Steve. I have no idea how putting one wing tip in ground effect, with high AOA, and the gear down, is a good idea. Oh, and if it had all gone wrong good luck with the hull insurance.....

Oct 02, 2014 at 04:58 PM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.3947 #13 · p.3947 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:

Reminds me of the B-52 that crashed twenty years ago out at Fairchild AFB while practicing
...Show more

Not being a pilot, I probably sound like an 11-year old boy discussing sex; but that was too hairy for me. I assume that was a Cargolux pilot showing off for the Boeing folks. It sure looked like it was nearly stalling as it rolled from one side to the other. I suspect someone at Cargolux may be interested in that stunt.

Oct 02, 2014 at 06:05 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3947 #14 · p.3947 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

You're dating yourself Jeff, unfortunately a lot of 11 year olds these days know more than we do about that subject.

Oct 02, 2014 at 07:30 PM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
p.3947 #15 · p.3947 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I'm sure that jet empty with 4 big engines was flying was just fine. A little uncoordinated on the controls on the roll to the left. definitely not something you see everyday!

Oct 02, 2014 at 07:49 PM
ELinder
• • •
p.3947 #16 · p.3947 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

True, an empty 747 probably has plenty of performance to spare, but I bet it still got his attention when the nose yawed right while the right wing was down!

Erich

Edit: I swear this wasn't a TOPP when I posted it!

Edited on Oct 02, 2014 at 10:56 PM · View previous versions

Oct 02, 2014 at 09:33 PM
Razor17
• •
p.3947 #17 · p.3947 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jim, you staying dry up there? Its fixing to hammer here...

Oct 02, 2014 at 09:37 PM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.3947 #18 · p.3947 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
You're dating yourself Jeff, unfortunately a lot of 11 year olds these days know more than we do about that subject.

Sad, but true Jim. I turn 59 tomorrow and not certain I'm 100% conversant on that particular subject

Oct 02, 2014 at 09:41 PM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.3947 #19 · p.3947 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Glenn Watson wrote:
I'm sure that jet empty with 4 big engines was flying was just fine. A little uncoordinated on the controls on the roll to the left. definitely not something you see everyday!

I certainly defer to your expertise Glenn. It just looked awful dicey to me at such a low altitude.

Oct 02, 2014 at 09:42 PM
Razor17
• •
p.3947 #20 · p.3947 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Glenn Watson wrote:

They were slow on the foot rests/rudders...

Oct 02, 2014 at 09:48 PM
1       2       3              3946      
       3948              4531       4532       end

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3946      
       3948              4531       4532       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password