Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3941      
       3943              4396       4397       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

tom cardin
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3942 #1 · p.3942 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Nice coat of wax, on that sweetie, Ryan. I like it.

Tom

Oct 25, 2013 at 04:46 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3942 #2 · p.3942 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Push Me Pull You

Saturday at Alliance.

Oct 25, 2013 at 05:29 PM
Go4Long
• • •
p.3942 #3 · p.3942 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Sooooo...I have an interesting one for the brain trust...

Back in 2009 I gave aperture a shot. Can't say that I know why, but regardless...I'm trying to go through all my galleries, refresh, redo, etc as part of a site redesign.

I am back to lightroom now, on my PC. Obviously can't just import the aperture album to lightroom, wondering if there is an easy way to get the files from the mac laptop to a PC desktop short of exporting, transferring, transferring some more, importing.

Oct 25, 2013 at 06:03 PM
ELinder
• • •
p.3942 #4 · p.3942 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I am absolutely kicking myself, but I screwed up and a significant portion of my photos from the last flight on HQ Thursday are unusable. I set my D4 to shutter priority to manage the prop blur and auto ISO for the slowly fading light, not thinking about the fact that my aperture would go wide open to f/2.8 before the ISO would kick in. I must have done something else too, but I don't know what. In this photo Nikon's own ViexNX2 program shows the focus point is dead on the Remos left hand wheel boot. But the Remos is slightly out of focus while the 172 is sharper. There's a lot of photos like that. Anyone have an idea what may be going on?

Erich

NIKON D4    70mm    f/2.8    1/160s    100 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Edited on Oct 25, 2013 at 11:47 PM · View previous versions

Oct 25, 2013 at 09:03 PM
Jan-Arie
• • • •
p.3942 #5 · p.3942 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Nothing wrong with them Erich I like them.

Oct 25, 2013 at 09:17 PM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
p.3942 #6 · p.3942 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hi Erich:

sounds like a too narrow DOF to me. We were pretty tight for f2.8 to get both. That shot is awesome though! Its definately an extra challenge to balance keeping the fstop closed enough and the ISO as low as possible for max quality with 2+ ship formations.

Glenn

ps - as long as the 172 is in focus its a winner!

Oct 25, 2013 at 09:37 PM
ELinder
• • •
p.3942 #7 · p.3942 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks, but at anything over 50% view it's really obvious the Remos isn't in focus.
Here's one that did turn out.

Erich

Mustang flight echelon right

NIKON D4    70mm    f/9.0    1/125s    100 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Oct 25, 2013 at 09:38 PM
ELinder
• • •
p.3942 #8 · p.3942 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Glenn, , you would say that, but Steve may beg to differ. Yeah I get the narrow DOF at f/2.8. The thing that puzzles me is the focus point is on the Remos but your plane is in focus.

Erich

Oct 25, 2013 at 09:41 PM
Jurgen Radier
• • •
p.3942 #9 · p.3942 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hey all. remember me?

I have to admit that I haven't been around in.... 5 months... ouch! Life and especially work has been crazy and haven't given me much time to hang around here (though I did read up on a full 130 pages in the last few days...) or do any photography. I've mainly been doing analysis on how the company can make more money by us being more efficient, and I'm having a good time. Furthermore the company makes me travel a fair bit as well which is always fun.

I have to say, the level of imagery here is still as outstanding as ever! It really was a pleasure reading up on everything . Steve, is that a towhook on your Remos?

I will be in Dallas for work (IATA Slot Conference) between the 12th and the 16th of November. Is anyone in the area that feels like dinner on the 12th to catch up? I'm not sure who live around there anymore....

Keep up the nice shots guys and girls! it is a pleasure to watch them

Oct 25, 2013 at 10:16 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3942 #10 · p.3942 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Erich, I like them both, focus issues notwithstanding. And I've never seen a _red_ lightning bolt prop before!

To my eye the first one could be pushed a little brighter, especially if it's a RAW file. And the second one will take some editing time in Photoshop but would look awesome if you were able to remove the Cub strut and wing. Are your PS skills up to the task or do you need some help? I ask because there are some real PS studs on this list...and I am not one of them

Oct 25, 2013 at 10:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3942 #11 · p.3942 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jurgen Radier wrote:
Hey all. remember me?

Steve, is that a towhook on your Remos?

Hey, Jurgen, it's nice to hear from you!

Yes, that's a Tost tow release: the Remos is certified to tow gliders up to 1500lb GW. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to find an insurance company who will cover me for glider towing, even occasionally.

Oct 25, 2013 at 10:19 PM
MustangsX2
• •
p.3942 #12 · p.3942 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

ELinder wrote:
I am absolutely kicking myself, but I screwed up and a significant portion of my photos from the last flight on HQ Thursday are unusable. I set my D4 to shutter priority to manage the prop blur and auto ISO for the slowly fading light, not thinking about the fact that my aperture would go wide open to f/2.8 before the ISO would kick in. I must have done something else too, but I don't know what. In this photo Nikon's own ViexNX2 program shows the focus point is dead on the Remos left hand wheel boot. But the Remos
...Show more

Were you shooting with foucs set to AFC or AFS?

Oct 25, 2013 at 10:22 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3942 #13 · p.3942 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Erich, to spread the misery around a bit, I've got hundreds of photos from Saturday at Alliance where the 1DX + 200-400 f/4 failed to focus properly. Can't quite figure out if it's operator error or an AF malfunction, but I bet it's a little of both: I had the camera set for AI Servo (continuous AF) most of the day, but I do remember switching to Single Shot from time to time, so it's likely I just forgot to switch back and my panning bursts suffered as a result. However, there are some multi-frame bursts where the focus is just a tiny bit off and stays that way, even when the plane is first getting closer and then getting farther away throughout the pass, and it's the only thing in the frame: if it were set on Single Shot AF you'd expect the focus to get better or to get worse through the pass, but not stay the same. It's a mystery.

Oct 25, 2013 at 10:49 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3942 #14 · p.3942 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Four round engines and three tails, anyone?

http://vimeo.com/76275010

Oct 25, 2013 at 11:15 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3942 #15 · p.3942 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

How about six round engines and five tails?

http://vimeo.com/74040004

Oct 25, 2013 at 11:16 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3942 #16 · p.3942 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Welcome back Jurgen!

Don't understand what could have gone wrong Zim. Either setting should still have rendered the majority of your images sharply. Sorry, I know how frustrating something like that is.

Well tomorrow promises to be challenging. Due to security concerns I can't give you the details until after the event, but suffice it to say it will be, even for me, unusually rapid fire.

Oct 25, 2013 at 11:36 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3942 #17 · p.3942 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Tim Adams wrote:
The sad fact of the matter is that no all out race Mustang is worth even close to what a fresh TF restoration is worth. You can only do one thing with Strega, race it. Even with it's ferry motor in, it can't be a fun plane to fly with the turtle deck and race canopy.

You are right Tim. It'll go to a collector, or a museum who wants a piece of Reno history. Once you start whacking on a Mustang the value drops like a bag of hammers.

Oct 25, 2013 at 11:42 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3942 #18 · p.3942 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Just watched the forecast for tomorrow, clouds and drizzle........might not be as challenging as I thought......

Oct 25, 2013 at 11:44 PM
ELinder
• • •
p.3942 #19 · p.3942 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Steve, I lightened up the first image. The second one I could take out the strut myself, but I actually like it better with it in there. Emphasizes that we were a flight of 3, even though it's obvious since someone had to be there to take the pic. I feel your pain going thru the photo folder deleting shot after shot.

Curtis, in that pic I was in AF-S with the release mode set to focus. I'm thinking it has to do with Live View mode. For some shots I was holding the camera upside down and out the door to the side using live view to get a rough framing, then shooting bursts. The problem is I can't seem to find a place in the EXIF where it says if Live View was used in a particular shot, so I can't be sure that's what's going on.

Erich

Oct 25, 2013 at 11:58 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3942 #20 · p.3942 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Randy needed an image for his trade show booth................

Oct 26, 2013 at 12:50 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password