Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3927      
       3929              4396       4397       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jan-Arie
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3928 #1 · p.3928 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

MMcGrath wrote:
J-A what happened to your camera?

Don't know yet Mark It wouldn't produce sharp pictures any more.
Tried everything resetting new firmware etc. but still the same results.
Tried to put it on manual but when I saw a sharp image in the view finder and pushed off a frame the photo was un sharp and blurry.
The thing that surprised me was when I manually tried to focus you could hear the camera make a bleeping sound normally that tells you that he is in focus but that was not what I was seeing but I did fired off one shot and to my amazement the photo was sharp but I couldn't see a sharp photo in the viewfinder? so you tell me if you think what caused that.
Even calibrated the eye piece to my eye so i knew for sure that i ruled everything thing out that I new of.

Tried all my lenses on another body but the were all good there with sharp results.
To bad it happened wile in the Loop and I didn't had my mark II with me.
Next time I will haul the spare with me...

I did take some photo's with it they are on the previous page some were from when it still preformed good the others were taken with the Live view function that worked ok but not on fast Jets.

Edit for tops 300 mm with live view

BAe Hawk T1

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM lens    300mm    f/2.8    1/400s    50 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Oct 15, 2013 at 07:51 PM · View previous versions

Oct 15, 2013 at 07:31 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3928 #2 · p.3928 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Good afternoon everyone. In the spirit of full disclosure, I need to tell you that the B25 mission just got scrubbed. The 25 will not be at Alliance, suffice it to say that schedule changes caused several key components to drop from the mix, "it takes a village" as Hillary once said. I'm disappointed, but it's the nature of the beast. Additionally, when you try as hard as we do to make these things happen, and they don't, I default to the fact that God is in control, and maybe he sees something I don't in this picture, so I am at peace with that.

On to the good news. Hutchins BBQ will be ready to pick up at 11 on Thursday (forecast to be beautiful) I paid the light bill and taxes so we still have HQ to hang out in In the grand scheme, we'll be fine.

"That is all!"

Oct 15, 2013 at 07:33 PM
RobMoser
• • •
p.3928 #3 · p.3928 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jan-Arie wrote:
Tried to put it on manual but when I saw a sharp image in the view finder and pushed off a frame the photo was un sharp and blurry.
The thing that surprised me was when I manually tried to focus you could hear the camera make a bleeping sound normally that tells you that he is in focus but that was not what I was seeing but I did fired off one shot and to my amazement the photo was
...Show more

What about your focusing screen? I once had a focus screen come adrift. Same effect; looked out of focus but the pictures came out sharp.

Rob

Oct 15, 2013 at 07:35 PM
ELinder
• • •
p.3928 #4 · p.3928 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jim, well that's a real bummer. That makes it 0 for 2 for me trying to get a flight. Hopefully there will be a "third time's the charm" opportunity. At least it looks like we'll have plenty of blue sky and lots of other planes to point our cameras at.

Erich

Oct 15, 2013 at 07:45 PM
Jan-Arie
• • • •
p.3928 #5 · p.3928 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Rob can't see some things loose everything looks in order to me but I'm no Technician we will see what's wrong with it in the days to come.

Oct 15, 2013 at 07:50 PM
MMcGrath
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3928 #6 · p.3928 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jan-Arie wrote:
The thing that surprised me was when I manually tried to focus you could hear the camera make a bleeping sound normally that tells you that he is in focus but that was not what I was seeing but I did fired off one shot and to my amazement the photo was
...Show more

Strange.

Oct 15, 2013 at 07:59 PM
Jan-Arie
• • • •
p.3928 #7 · p.3928 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Almost Dark

Last rays

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM lens    300mm    f/4.5    1/500s    50 ISO    0.0 EV  

Oct 15, 2013 at 08:01 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3928 #8 · p.3928 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Sorry Erich,

On the bright side, any of you who have been around me while we are planning, holding together and executing these missions, know how stressful it is. Knowing that we've scrubbed, albeit disappointing, will allow me to do the fifty other things I'm tasked with at the show, and enjoy you all to boot.

We might just stir up an air to air or two at HQ on Thursday, who knows?

Oct 15, 2013 at 08:04 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3928 #9 · p.3928 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I'll see your beautiful Hawk shot Jan Arie, and raise you one......................

Oct 15, 2013 at 08:08 PM
david russell
• • •
p.3928 #10 · p.3928 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

ELinder wrote:
Hey, I just saw on the Alliance website that the T-Bird painted T-38 will be there. Do I need new reading glasses, or is that a recent addition? Either way, cool!

Erich

I imagine that this is Ross Perot Jr's T-38. It lives at Alliance and has been on display each year that I've been there. It has flown behind the B-25 on photo missions as well.

Perhaps it is flying as part of the show this year too?

Oct 15, 2013 at 08:11 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jan-Arie
• • • •
p.3928 #11 · p.3928 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks Jim nice one of Tarnish

You still have a great time I can vouch for that

Passing the Wire

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM lens    300mm    f/2.8    1/2500s    50 ISO    0.0 EV  

Oct 15, 2013 at 08:14 PM
Jan-Arie
• • • •
p.3928 #12 · p.3928 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

3 ship call-sign Mustang

Mustang Flight

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM lens    300mm    f/2.8    1/1000s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Oct 15, 2013 at 08:22 PM
Jan-Arie
• • • •
p.3928 #13 · p.3928 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Last one in buys the beer

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM +2.0x lens    600mm    f/5.6    1/2000s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Oct 15, 2013 at 08:32 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3928 #14 · p.3928 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

J-A, thanks for doing my homework for me.

Jim, sorry to hear the '25 A2A is off, but those are the breaks.

Erich, it wasn't until my third try that a B-25 mission I was scheduled for actually got off the ground. I think I'm batting 3-for-8.

In other news, now that the Remos's electrical gremlins seem to be behind us, today's test flight was marred by a bad drop on both mags and the engine running rough at any setting below high cruise. I need another day to sort things out...

Oct 15, 2013 at 08:44 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3928 #15 · p.3928 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Sorry Zim,

What does that do to your arrival plans? I'd send the Pilatus for you, but in keeping with all this other stuff, all that has been pushed into next year! Ugh!

Oct 15, 2013 at 08:57 PM
futurshox
• • • •
p.3928 #16 · p.3928 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Well I have been looking at the weather and in all honesty, if we have a pleasant afternoon/evening in Jim's HQ, shooting the sh!t between us / hangar flying, then it will be a good day. I'm looking forward to putting a few more faces to names and spending some quality time. Anything else is a bonus!

While we're all disclosing, I'll be with you at Alliance on Friday but I'm bailing after that to try for Jasper air race on Saturday, weather permitting.

Oct 15, 2013 at 09:08 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3928 #17 · p.3928 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Sorry Zim,

What does that do to your arrival plans? I'd send the Pilatus for you, but in keeping with all this other stuff, all that has been pushed into next year! Ugh!

I haven't quite made up my mind to scrub the cross-country flight to KTKI; I've got an airline ticket and a rental car reservation for tomorrow as a fallback, so you can still expect me sometime tomorrow afternoon. Webesee...

Oct 15, 2013 at 09:52 PM
RobMoser
• • •
p.3928 #18 · p.3928 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jan-Arie wrote:
Rob can't see some things loose everything looks in order to me but I'm no Technician we will see what's wrong with it in the days to come.

On my D2's, there's a light metal frame that holds the focusing screen up and in place. You can unclip it to change focusing screens and it needs to be snapped right up snug. Not sure if your Canon is similar, though.

Rob

Oct 15, 2013 at 10:32 PM
XHawkeye
• •
p.3928 #19 · p.3928 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

MMcGrath wrote:
To those headed to Alliance, I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time.

Ditto, the weather should be perfect, I'll be in Iowa 'helping' with corn harvest.

JWilsonphoto wrote:
On to the good news. Hutchins BBQ will be ready to pick up at 11 on Thursday (forecast to be beautiful) I paid the light bill and taxes so we still have HQ to hang out in In the grand scheme, we'll be fine.

"That is all!"

Jim, you are going to ruin barbeque for the visiting 'foreigners'. They will be unable to find barbeque as good back home. Hutchins has very good ribs & brisket, but the best part is they are open for dinner unlike Pecan Lodge or Meshack's.

Oct 15, 2013 at 11:23 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3928 #20 · p.3928 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
I haven't quite made up my mind to scrub the cross-country flight to KTKI; I've got an airline ticket and a rental car reservation for tomorrow as a fallback, so you can still expect me sometime tomorrow afternoon. Webesee...

The second test flight today went better: some fiddly stuff with the carbs and new plugs. I look forward to the new 912iS engine fitted to the Pipistrel: no carburetors!

Oct 15, 2013 at 11:44 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password