FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3913      
       3915              4532       4533       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

FlyingPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3914 #1 · p.3914 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Zim, is Michael Maya Charles based at your airport? He's been writing about that accident since it happened.

Sep 02, 2014 at 05:51 AM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3914 #2 · p.3914 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Um, regarding processing "lessons"...

I can tell people what I do and what software I use, but it's really a question of vision and style and that's something I can't teach.

I mean, you don't really want your images to look exactly like mine, right? You want your own interpretation to shine through, yes?

Sep 02, 2014 at 05:53 AM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3914 #3 · p.3914 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Another "Dawn Patrol" Wildcat Shot...

Sep 02, 2014 at 06:55 AM
nrferguson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3914 #4 · p.3914 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

nickjohnson wrote:
YES (Short answer)

(Longer answer) There are loads of shows to choose from – suggest you have a talk with J-A - he's been to a lot of them. No idea when the 2015 Vulcan schedule will come to light. The Shoreham show has a very special place in my hart – but is crowded and you shoot into the sun a lot of the time. The Eastbourne show has long been on my wish list – shooting from Beachy Head for a unique perspective.

+1 for Beachy Head - maybe next year! I didn't go to Bournemouth this year (much as I wanted to see the Sea Vixen) as I went last year, the SV got cancelled, and I ended up with no keepers as was shooting into hazy sun all afternoon!!
Niall

Sep 02, 2014 at 07:05 AM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3914 #5 · p.3914 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Alone Against The World

Sep 02, 2014 at 07:18 AM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.3914 #6 · p.3914 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

FlyingPhotog wrote:
Um, regarding processing "lessons"...

I can tell people what I do and what software I use, but it's really a question of vision and style and that's something I can't teach.

I mean, you don't really want your images to look exactly like mine, right? You want your own interpretation to shine through, yes?

I absolutely want my images to look the way I want them to look. And I can confidently say that, in the end, I know exactly what I want out of any particular image. What I don't usually know is how to get there, or even whether I can get there, because my knowledge of the tool sets available is insufficient.

Lessons, examples, and tips on how (and how not) to use those tools, or which tools are best suited to a particular task, are where my knowledge of digital photography is weakest. And of course, to improve my skills as much as possible, I always look to the most gifted teachers for guidance and inspiration.

I enjoy watching other gifted artists teach how their use of the tools allows them to reach certain stylistic goals in image processing. I'd love to learn from you as well, and I'm sure I'm not alone.

Sep 02, 2014 at 12:40 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3914 #7 · p.3914 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

FlyingPhotog wrote:
Zim, is Michael Maya Charles based at your airport? He's been writing about that accident since it happened.

Yes, he and the accident pilot both have houses on the airpark at KEIK. Do you have any links to what he's written? Google is coming up empty.

Sep 02, 2014 at 01:48 PM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3914 #8 · p.3914 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Zim, I was referring to ongoing comments MMC has been making on Facebook.

Sep 02, 2014 at 03:05 PM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.3914 #9 · p.3914 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
I absolutely want my images to look the way I want them to look. And I can confidently say that, in the end, I know exactly what I want out of any particular image. What I don't usually know is how to get there, or even whether I can get there, because my knowledge of the tool sets available is insufficient.

Lessons, examples, and tips on how (and how not) to use those tools, or which tools are best suited to a particular task, are where my knowledge of digital photography is weakest. And of course, to improve my skills
...Show more

Likewise if I could learn 1/10th of 1% of your post processing skills then it would make my images 'look' better. I don't want my images to look exactly like your style, however I would like them to pop off the screen more.
The areas I'd be most interested in gaining some insight from you are with regards to the clarity of your images and your B&W processing techniques. I have never been able to come close to achieving the tonality that you can with a B&W image.

Sep 02, 2014 at 06:17 PM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
p.3914 #10 · p.3914 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jay:
I want all my images to have a soft broken cloud deck with a snow capped mountain peak sticking through. Can you help me?

Glenn

Sep 02, 2014 at 08:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3914 #11 · p.3914 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I honestly just don't know how to reply...

I'm 99% self taught. I stay up for hours playing in LR and Photoshop. 2am, 3am, sometimes 4am .. just playing. Try "X" .. Hate It .. CTL Z .. Start Over
Wash / Rinse / Repeat until I hit on something I like.

I've read a little online and I do have a book or two by Kelby and by Kloskowski (the latter was on layers, masks and layer properties which, IMO, is the true power of Photoshop for photographers.)

As for B&W, get the Nik/Google suite and wring out Silver Effex Pro. That's what I use.
B&W Conversions are far more than simply removing saturation. Color Temp of the original plays a huge part and then you play with the colored filters and tweak the sliders to taste.

Re: "Crispness" .. It's a combo of the best glass I can afford and the best light I can find. I sometimes go out to shoot with local friends at less than optimal shooting times and while they bang away, I stand and watch. I don't pick up the camera until and unless I like what I see, or I have to shoot because there's money involved (either mine or someone else's) Capture Sharpening plays a part (via LR) and then judicious use of Nik Viveza and High Pass Sharpening can put a little polish on the apple, but it has to start with something worthwhile. To put it bluntly: Don't settle for an image that's just kinda "ok" If your panning is a little off or if you dropped your shutter speed just a little too much and you end up with something a tad soft, either delete it and do better next time or don't show it to the world. I have thousands of crap images but the wider world will never know how often I miss. The bulk of my Oshkosh 2014 is garbage and nobody will ever see them because the weather was god awful and the light was worse.

Commit as much time (or more) to your post processing as you devote to your shooting and your skills will improve. Bet on it... Pressing the shutter button is only half the job.

Sep 02, 2014 at 08:19 PM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3914 #12 · p.3914 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Here's one for the "collective"

Wonderful Opportunity and Dynamite Subjects and despite not quite being able to get the exact formation we wanted, I managed to get all four planes in the frame and reasonably sharp.

But...

Something feels off and I can't nail it down. SO, feel free to tell me why this doesn't feel right?

This was built from two "Smart Object" frames in Photoshop which allowed me to have separate handles on the background and the airframes (essentially, you get raw converter controls for each layer.)
Dropped a mask over the top of the planes (so nothing would show) and then went in and "painted" just the planes in through the mask. Flattened the resulting image and did a High Pass Sharpen layer.
Warmed the resulting .psd file a little once it was back in LR and also put a diagonal gradient of -.50 from upper left toward lower right to reign in the sunset just a little bit more.

Have At It...

Sep 02, 2014 at 08:21 PM
Jan-Arie
• • • •
p.3914 #13 · p.3914 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I still have to find the time to start using LR tried it a couple of time but don't get it...
So i'm stuck with PS CC not bad at all but the grass is always greener at the neighbours.
Maybe it's time to buy a book the problem with me is when sitting behind the computer for long times I always fall asleep :-)

Sep 02, 2014 at 08:35 PM
Bill Gass
• • • •
p.3914 #14 · p.3914 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Someday I hope to figure out layers and masks, my photoshop time has practically dropped off, but so has my shooting. Camera and lens make a huge difference and is very noticeable. You can obviously hold that puppy really still, maybe arms like a stabilizer. I'm so shaky any more it's ridiculous. I'll try to shoot only jets at Reno. . Keep up the great work Jay...And the rest of you PEEPS !

Sep 02, 2014 at 09:46 PM
Razor17
• •
p.3914 #15 · p.3914 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

FlyingPhotog wrote:

Wonderful Opportunity and Dynamite Subjects and despite not quite being able to get the exact formation we wanted, I managed to get all four planes in the frame and reasonably sharp.

But...

Something feels off and I can't nail it down. SO, feel free to tell me why this doesn't feel right?

This was built from two "Smart Object" frames in Photoshop which allowed me to have separate handles on the background and the airframes (essentially, you get raw converter controls for each layer.)
Dropped a mask over the top of the planes (so nothing would show) and then went
...Show more

Jay, to me it seems that the broken formation and the sun light are playing against each other. Just me as I look to your work in an effort to better mine...

Respectfully,

Lynn

Sep 02, 2014 at 09:57 PM
Razor17
• •
p.3914 #16 · p.3914 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

FlyingPhotog wrote:

Another "Dawn Patrol" Wildcat Shot...
http://crosswindimages.com/img/s12/v183/p277243779-6.jpg

Really nice, this would work with a F-8 Bearcat as well... ;-)

Sep 02, 2014 at 10:01 PM
nickjohnson
• • •
p.3914 #17 · p.3914 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

FlyingPhotog wrote:

But...

Dropped a mask over the top of the planes (so nothing would show) and then went
...Show more

Jay, with hart felt respect and admiration.

The brightest thing in the picture is not your subject(s)?
The second brightest thing in the picture is the ground and it covers about half the frame.
The subject aircraft “look” to have a lot higher contrast than the rest of the picture – to me they have a dropped in look on the furthest two.
The gap between the nearest aircraft and the rest fights with the number of aircraft being an even number, in a way that troubles me.

FWIW Most all my modest pp skills where / are learned exactly the way you describe – e.g. hrs and hrs of just trying stuff in whatever tools you chose to use. People, it takes time and lots of it.

…. right, Coat, Tin foil hat, Door.

Sep 02, 2014 at 10:33 PM
futurshox
• • • •
p.3914 #18 · p.3914 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jan-Arie wrote:
I still have to find the time to start using LR tried it a couple of time but don't get it...

I can run you through it in October if you like.

Ar, here we are at top again... My name ain't Zim, but that doesn't stop me shooting through airliner windows....
These were somewhere between Portland and San Diego.

Sep 02, 2014 at 10:56 PM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3914 #19 · p.3914 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I appreciate the feedback on the four-ship. I guess we just exceeded what was doable at the time....

At least we didn't kill anyone.

Live and Learn.

Sep 02, 2014 at 11:17 PM
Razor17
• •
p.3914 #20 · p.3914 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

FlyingPhotog wrote:
I appreciate the feedback on the four-ship. I guess we just exceeded what was doable at the time....

At least we didn't kill anyone.

Live and Learn.

Only other problem was, I wasn't flying one of them...

Sep 02, 2014 at 11:26 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password