1       2       3              3912      
       3914              4533       4534       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevezzzz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3913 #1 · p.3913 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jeff W. wrote:
Wonderful work Steve. You did not give your Nikon's a moments rest. Is this the 800 or 810?

Thanks, Jeff. This one's from the D800: I had the 28-300 on the D800 and the 80-400 on the D810, and I needed 56mm to get both airplanes in the frame.

Sep 01, 2014 at 08:40 PM
nickjohnson
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3913 #2 · p.3913 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
Yes!

I contributed to the Vulcan's winter maintenance program in the hope that I'd get to see it fly before they have to retire it forever. Didn't happen this year; I wonder if there will even be a next year...

Steve, Assuming all goes well there will be a next year – but 2015 will, apparently, be the last year. Now I know that the trust have been playing that song just about every year for ages now. Fact is that a lot of us over here have heard it once too often. However, the trust chairman has – in print – stated that the displays are now trading airframe fatigue index for engine life. Further, take off has been cleared to use less that 100% thrust – per some old RAF procedure.

The trust are not very transparent with what the true limiting factors are – IMHO. I've looked at the post restoration, CAA permit to fly and I think it may be that the limitation that makes 2015 the end of the road is that no engine may be installed for more than seven years. Problem is that following a mishap a few years ago they are now apparently down to six engines – four in the a/c and two spare. It has been stated by the trust, RR, RAF, that there are no more engines hanging around in dusty corners of storage sheds or hangers. So the big LE skin mod has given us two more years flying – max. After that the plan is to keep the a/c in working condition and have “high speed” taxi demonstrations.

So, 2015 is your best bet? If you get the chance try and pick a display venue where there are no local restrictions. That gives the crew a chance to give a full display. Maybe RIAT 2015??

Sep 01, 2014 at 08:43 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3913 #3 · p.3913 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

The Palouse in eastern Washington, just west of Pullman. Too bad the harvest was complete, but it's still an eyeful.

stereo-X pair for cross-eyed viewing

stereo-X pair for cross-eyed viewing

Edited on Sep 01, 2014 at 09:48 PM · View previous versions

Sep 01, 2014 at 09:17 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3913 #4 · p.3913 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks for the 'local' perspective on the big delta wing bomber, Nick. I said it last year about this time, but I would dearly love to have a chance to see the Vulcan fly; and it's a great opportunity for a little MA2A mini-gathering, don't you think?

Sep 01, 2014 at 09:29 PM
nrferguson
• • • •
p.3913 #5 · p.3913 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

nickjohnson wrote:
Steve, Assuming all goes well there will be a next year – but 2015 will, apparently, be the last year. Now I know that the trust have been playing that song just about every year for ages now. Fact is that a lot of us over here have heard it once too often. However, the trust chairman has – in print – stated that the displays are now trading airframe fatigue index for engine life. Further, take off has been cleared to use less that 100% thrust – per some old RAF procedure.

The trust are not very transparent with
...Show more

They lost two spare engines in quick succession in installation errors - not sure what the first one was, but for the second one apparently they installed a brand new engine (ie never ever been used) and started it up without realising that it was packed with silicon gel to protect it from corrosion - which completely wrecked it!!
The problem over last winter was a section of the main spar which was reaching its fatigue safety life with no replacements available, nor construction jigs to build another, so it was necessary to "reverse engineer" the existing spar to make a jig to construct a new one - that apparently cost £12M!!! So, my understanding is (from what was said during the commentary at Dunsfold a couple of weeks ago) that, with the old spar they had engines that far exceeded life expectancy of the spar (which they thought they couldn't afford to replace) so they ran the engines at optimum power to reduce the strain on the spar - they now have a new main spar that has a life expectancy that far exceeds that of the engines, so they are running the engines at levels that increase engine life - I think I've got that right! The commentator said that they hoped that they would still be flying in 2016, but couldn't guarantee it - they were safe for 2015. RIAT is probably the show to come to if you're coming (this year you could have done RIAT one day of the weekend, Flying Legends the other day, and then on to Farnborough, but I'm not sure of the dates for next year and no Farnborough, of course, as it's alternate years with Paris).
Niall

Vulcan + Folland Gnats at Dunsfold

Sep 01, 2014 at 10:00 PM
nickjohnson
• • •
p.3913 #6 · p.3913 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
Thanks for the 'local' perspective on the big delta wing bomber, Nick. I said it last year about this time, but I would dearly love to have a chance to see the Vulcan fly; and it's a great opportunity for a little MA2A mini-gathering, don't you think?

YES (Short answer)

(Longer answer) There are loads of shows to choose from – suggest you have a talk with J-A - he's been to a lot of them. No idea when the 2015 Vulcan schedule will come to light. The Shoreham show has a very special place in my hart – but is crowded and you shoot into the sun a lot of the time. The Eastbourne show has long been on my wish list – shooting from Beachy Head for a unique perspective.

Sep 01, 2014 at 10:12 PM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.3913 #7 · p.3913 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
The Palouse in eastern Washington, just west of Pullman. Too bad the harvest was complete, but it's still an eyeful.

I've been waiting for these Steve. The Palouse is on my bucket list. I've heard from a few shooters who were there and said they also missed the beginning of the harvest - no green to contrast with the yellow. Lovely images sir.

Sep 01, 2014 at 10:24 PM
brian_sp
• • • •
p.3913 #8 · p.3913 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

ok, a lil intimidated posting these after all the top notch photos here

i attended the Duluth, Mn airshow last weekend, my second airshow, i got in on Thursday to cloudy weather and was able to catch the Blue Angels practicing

Saturday was a complete wash out, nothing left the ground
Sunday i got there early to the same conditions, walked the grounds and returned to my car contemplating on leaving but something told me not to, the Blue Angels needed a 1000ft of ceiling to perform, the Raptor needed 1500ft and at the time there was only 600ft, but things finally lifted later just enough to get in some of the show, the Raptor only did a few fly bys cause of not quite enough ceiling and the Angels only did their lower levely show

lighting was horrible but...my first time to see the Angels and a Raptor

Sep 01, 2014 at 10:42 PM
brian_sp
• • • •
p.3913 #9 · p.3913 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Sep 01, 2014 at 10:44 PM
brian_sp
• • • •
p.3913 #10 · p.3913 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Sep 01, 2014 at 10:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

brian_sp
• • • •
p.3913 #11 · p.3913 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

sorry for all the pics,,,all excited about my second airshow

Sep 01, 2014 at 10:51 PM
ELinder
• • •
p.3913 #12 · p.3913 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Brian, no need to apologize, if we didn't get just as excited we wouldn't be here.

Julie Clark salutes the Cleveland crowd after her Labor Day show.

Erich

Sep 01, 2014 at 11:25 PM
Razor17
• •
p.3913 #13 · p.3913 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Good afternoon Steve, I wanted to check in with you as a PA-46 crashed off of Erie, CO today...

Lynn

Sep 01, 2014 at 11:38 PM
Tim Adams
• • • •
p.3913 #14 · p.3913 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Five more days until I am on the ramp at Reno. For now, the C7R.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM lens    300mm    f/18.0    1/125s    100 ISO    -0.7 EV  

Sep 01, 2014 at 11:55 PM
Tim Adams
• • • •
p.3913 #15 · p.3913 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Falken Tire Porsche 911 GTLM

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM lens    300mm    f/14.0    1/125s    100 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Sep 02, 2014 at 12:23 AM
Bill Gass
• • • •
p.3913 #16 · p.3913 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Probably see you there Tim.
Nice work Brian, nice.

Sep 02, 2014 at 12:42 AM
USM IS
• • •
p.3913 #17 · p.3913 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

FlyingPhotog wrote:
^^^ BOOM! ^^^

Thank you very much Jay, and Jeff W.

Mike

Sep 02, 2014 at 01:02 AM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.3913 #18 · p.3913 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Ryan Harris wrote:
Jay, I know people paid money for it at Madras, but I'm sure your post processing tutorial would interest several people on this thread!

I'd certainly be happy to pay for such a tutorial. I have quite a few captures which I think could be beautiful if they received processing that I simply don't know how to give them... and I sure know that even a little "Beckman Grade" magic pixie dust would help me a lot. If that tutorial ever becomes more widely available, my guess is that quite a few people would benefit from it.

Edit: and of course, after saying that it follows that I'd get TOP and need an image. Well, no "potentially beautiful" images available right now, but an interesting photojournalistic image at least: unedited and courtesy of the Samsung GS4 phone I had at the time. I'm sick of saying "don't have an image" to y'all. The image below is from the city of Antigua in Guatemala, where one of the centuries-old traditions is to make carpets -- blocks long, or even kilometers long -- out of colored sawdust, pine needles, and other such materials, to remember and glorify Him. People plan and prepare for months, and some of them (not this one) are truly works of art.

"Street Carpets" in Antigua during Holy Week

SCH-I545    4mm    f/2.2    1/1340s    50 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Sep 02, 2014 at 02:28 AM · View previous versions

Sep 02, 2014 at 02:13 AM
Colin Giersberg
• • • •
p.3913 #19 · p.3913 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Brian, that is some nice Raptor Jello and some serious moisture as well.

Sep 02, 2014 at 02:13 AM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3913 #20 · p.3913 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Razor17 wrote:
Good afternoon Steve, I wanted to check in with you as a PA-46 crashed off of Erie, CO today...

Lynn

Thanks for your concern, Lynn.

I think I saw the accident airplane shortly before the crash: from my position south of the airfield I saw a Malibu on final approach to Rwy 33, displaced to the right while someone else was departing from Rwy 15, then he maneuvered to re-acquire the runway centerline less than a mile from the approach end of 33. Sounds from the news reports as though he must have initiated a go-around and then suffered a loss of engine power.

I did not know the pilot or his passengers, but I am saddened at the loss of the five souls on board, as well as the dog that was with them.

Sep 02, 2014 at 02:48 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password