FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3897      
       3899              4532       4533       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

ELinder
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3898 #1 · p.3898 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Unbelievable. There's already a service advisory for the Nikon D810 for hot pixels in long exposures. I applaud Nikon for getting new products out fairly quickly, but the last few years it seems like they are doing it at the cost of proper product testing.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Service-And-Support/Service-Advisories/hyvanded/Technical-Service-Advisory-for-Users-of-the-Nikon-D810.html

Erich

Aug 19, 2014 at 01:24 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3898 #2 · p.3898 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks for the heads up Erich, stuff happens. I'm pleased that they have jumped on it. I haven't seen any hot pixels in my exposures up to 3 seconds, but I'll go shoot some longer ones at HQ this evening.

If you can hold off on your RRS decision until October, you are welcome to get a hands on experience with mine. I don't have any experience with the gear that Rodolfo mentioned. Once I find something good, I'm kind of OCD about consistency and not mixing and matching.

Aug 19, 2014 at 02:12 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3898 #3 · p.3898 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Larry Grace just forwarded a note to me from Dave Higdon. Many of you know Dave and most of you have seen his images and his writings. Dave lost his wife Annie to Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma yesterday morning. Annie ran her battle for a short 13 weeks from diagnosis to the end, ugh. His note was eloquent and a tribute to Annie and their relationship, heartbreaking and uplifting all at once. Please lift Dave up in your thoughts and prayers, and go tell someone how much you love them, 13 weeks............how fragile we are and how fleeting is this journey.

Aug 19, 2014 at 02:20 PM
nickjohnson
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3898 #4 · p.3898 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
Posted another motorglider video, thermal soaring over the mountains west of Boulder here.

http://www.stevezphoto.us/aviation/h14bdd26c#h14bdd26c

Thanks for the video Steve. Wonderful views and free flying lessons what's not to like? BTW, I was printing some of my stuff yesterday reviewing the different papers matching them to images. Got to thinking that your recent aerial landscapes would look absolutely tremendous on Epson Velvet Fine Art paper just say'in.

Aug 19, 2014 at 02:23 PM
Go4Long
• • • •
p.3898 #5 · p.3898 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

ELinder wrote:
Unbelievable. There's already a service advisory for the Nikon D810 for hot pixels in long exposures. I applaud Nikon for getting new products out fairly quickly, but the last few years it seems like they are doing it at the cost of proper product testing.

http://www.nikonusa.com/en/Service-And-Support/Service-Advisories/hyvanded/Technical-Service-Advisory-for-Users-of-the-Nikon-D810.html

Erich

I don't think this is an issue exclusive to Nikon (the lack of proper testing I mean), or even exclusive to photography...as it is, this issue only affects EXTREME circumstances of like 5 minute exposures.

Aug 19, 2014 at 02:31 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3898 #6 · p.3898 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

You are right Steven, and Canon has a little less of an opportunity for problems like this..........um, because they only announce new product rumors, and rarely actually manufacture them A novel way to avoid recalls.

Aug 19, 2014 at 03:53 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3898 #7 · p.3898 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I never thought that one could be "too" conservative, until my orthopedic guy gave me orthotics yesterday and there were two right foot inserts in the box I guess something "left" is necessary every once in a while If only we could get them to work together like our feet, and not kick each other every step!

Aug 19, 2014 at 07:09 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3898 #8 · p.3898 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Just walked out of a two hour meeting with a huge air to ground project, two dozen locations! An aerial photographer out of Central Texas has been trying to get this company's business for a month, even shot some stuff on spec hoping to win their work, it just had no personality. As Zim has so aptly shown us, there's aerials, and then there's aerials!

Aug 19, 2014 at 07:34 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3898 #9 · p.3898 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Just ran my serial number through and my D810 is one that requires shipping back to Nikon for repair. It'll have to wait until after my next trip, though. I leave tomorrow, in the Virus SWiS, to meet up with Jay and Scott Slocum and Lyle Jansma in Oregon.

Aug 19, 2014 at 07:54 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3898 #10 · p.3898 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Have fun Zim! I wouldn't be in any rush to ship it back. What is the range?

Aug 19, 2014 at 07:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jan-Arie
• • • •
p.3898 #11 · p.3898 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hey Steve how do you know that you can get back to the field with no engine on can you calculate that? great movie cool scenery..
EDIT and a coooool trip have fun

Aug 19, 2014 at 08:03 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3898 #12 · p.3898 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

As I suspected, mine is in the range. I don't want to be without it, I wonder if they ship me another if it will have the same problem?

Aug 19, 2014 at 08:07 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3898 #13 · p.3898 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Asked, and answered.....

http://photographylife.com/nikon-confirms-the-d810-thermal-issue-and-offers-a-solution

I'm going to be at HQ this evening and will shoot some long exposures to see what all the hubbub is about. The above release claims that this will not affect most photographers, unless you happen to be going for a five minute prop blur shot.

Aug 19, 2014 at 08:20 PM
Go4Long
• • • •
p.3898 #14 · p.3898 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

are you an NPS member?

Even if they shipped you a loaner to use in the mean time, if it had the same issue it would still be better than no camera at all?

Aug 19, 2014 at 08:21 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3898 #15 · p.3898 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hi Steven,

yes, I'm in the process of becoming an NPS member, and I have my D800 as well. I ordered two 810's but let another guy that was chomping at the bit have my second one (guess that bit of gallantry served me doubly). ISAP works very closely with Nikon at the top, I'm not too worried about this being much of an inconvenience.

Aug 19, 2014 at 08:36 PM
johnahill
• • • •
p.3898 #16 · p.3898 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Another kind of Mustang, in the pouring rain at Brooklands

Thanks god for umbrellas and DSLR's than can be operated with one hand

Aug 19, 2014 at 09:47 PM
johnahill
• • • •
p.3898 #17 · p.3898 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

It's a shame they don't place the cars with better background but hey what can I do about it......
So unfortunately bbq tent it is.

Aug 19, 2014 at 09:49 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3898 #18 · p.3898 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Have fun Zim! I wouldn't be in any rush to ship it back. What is the range?

Sneaky: Nikon doesn't publish the range, they just ask for your serial number and then take you to the web page for arranging a return, if it's in range. I guess they don't want the world to know just how many units are affected.

Edited on Aug 19, 2014 at 10:40 PM · View previous versions

Aug 19, 2014 at 10:22 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3898 #19 · p.3898 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jan-Arie wrote:
Hey Steve how do you know that you can get back to the field with no engine on can you calculate that? great movie cool scenery..
EDIT and a coooool trip have fun

Why, it's simple, J-A: years of experience, a cool head and a keen eye.

Aug 19, 2014 at 10:30 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.3898 #20 · p.3898 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jim, make sure you take care of those feet! You're kind of dependent on them. Just curious, are your orthotics the hard leather kind that seem like they would last forever? I ended up with a pair that cost $400 but aren't much more than plastic and foam. Not going to go with that guy again. I realized the off-the-shelf $40 Powerstep inserts are probably all I need anyway.

How is our Arizona crew doing? Sounds like some crazy rain and flooding in Phoenix today.

Mark

Aug 19, 2014 at 10:47 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password