Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3883      
       3885              4346       4347       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevezzzz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3884 #1 · p.3884 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Hi Guys and Gals,

I'm going to be a bit scarce for a bit, lot's happening, all more than good. I have secured rooms at the Allen Marriott Courtyard for Wed/Thurs/Mon evenings. There'll be a keyword that will get you the preferred rate. Normal rate is $149, HQ rate should be $119.

I have an annual report shoot early Wednesday morning that will probably take me to noon, then I'll head to HQ for prep. Zim, as always, your spot in the hangar will be spotless and waiting. Glenn, if you would like, I'll put 7PC on the lift and there'll
...Show more

Sounds good, Jim. Please see if you can add Sunday to the Allen Marriott special rate. If I get down there in the Remos, I'll plan to leave it at HQ until Monday morning, and overnight in Allen on Sunday, like last year.

[edit for TOPP: in honor of the fact that the Front Range of Colorado is no longer landlocked (see my earlier posts), here's a sailing photo from Norway, taken in 2008]

Edited on Sep 13, 2013 at 02:32 AM · View previous versions

Sep 13, 2013 at 02:12 AM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3884 #2 · p.3884 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
I have an annual report shoot early Wednesday morning that will probably take me to noon, then I'll head to HQ for prep. Zim, as always, your spot in the hangar will be spotless and waiting. Glenn, if you would like, I'll put 7PC on the lift and there'll be a spot for your ride as well.

I will take the spot...not sure what i'm arriving in but it will have wings!

Sep 13, 2013 at 02:17 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3884 #3 · p.3884 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Zim, no problem.

Glenn, no problem.

Zim, beautiful as usual!

Lady Jo, Have a great/safe time.

Sep 13, 2013 at 02:35 AM
skyhawkpilot
• • •
p.3884 #4 · p.3884 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Alliance sounds like a blast, I am sorry I am going to miss it this year...again.

Jeff W - Those are some awesome night shots at KPHX. Care to share the technical details? I took a few night shots from the Dover Air Force Base Tower that I will post in the next day or two...I am interested in how to make shots like those pop a little more.

I am slightly underwhelmed by my cameras low light performance.

Sep 13, 2013 at 02:56 AM
Jeff W.
• • •
p.3884 #5 · p.3884 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
[edit for TOPP: in honor of the fact that the Front Range of Colorado is no longer landlocked (see my earlier posts), here's a sailing photo from Norway, taken in 2008]

You know how I love your sailing images Steve. Another one that has me wanting to say "call me Ishmael"

skyhawkpilot wrote:
Jeff W - Those are some awesome night shots at KPHX. Care to share the technical details? I took a few night shots from the Dover Air Force Base Tower that I will post in the next day or two...I am interested in how to make shots like those pop a little more.

I am slightly underwhelmed by my cameras low light performance.

Thanks Andrew. The last shot was a blending of four separate images. The toughest part for me was getting the correct white balance. With all the different colored lights on an active ramp like the US Airways at PHX, I believe getting as close as possible to the correct white balance goes a long way to achieving a little "pop" in the image. Much better that if it had a strong yellow, red, or blue cast. I also only shoot these types of images off a sturdy tripod and with a remote shutter release. I turn off my AF and IS, I manually focus in live view on the LCD using a 10x loop, I typically set the camera (Zim's 5D3) at ISO 100 and f/11. I then dial-down my shutter speed until I achieve an exposure I like on the LCD and histogram. These turned out to be 19-second exposures. Besides the blending fun in CS6, it is mainly old post processing habits in both LR4 and CS6.

Sep 13, 2013 at 04:16 AM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3884 #6 · p.3884 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

A quick flood update. We're doing fine and there's a break in the rain (blue sky!), but a whole lot of folks around Boulder County and points north are under water. More rain in the forecast through the weekend, but I'm hopeful we've seen the worst of it.

I just saw a Chinook pass overhead on its way toward Boulder, no doubt to help with extractions and moving emergency personnel into areas cut off by the flooding.

Sep 13, 2013 at 05:06 PM
david russell
• • •
p.3884 #7 · p.3884 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
A quick flood update. We're doing fine and there's a break in the rain (blue sky!), but a whole lot of folks around Boulder County and points north are under water. More rain in the forecast through the weekend, but I'm hopeful we've seen the worst of it.

I just saw a Chinook pass overhead on its way toward Boulder, no doubt to help with extractions and moving emergency personnel into areas cut off by the flooding.

Lots of helicopters overhead here. They seem to be based at Boulder and heading to hard-hit places like Lyons and Jamestown...and they really do seem to like flying low!

Sep 13, 2013 at 07:49 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3884 #8 · p.3884 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I don't know if this has already been mentioned, but you can stream live video from Reno: today, tomorrow and Sunday.

http://airrace.org/race_experience/sights_sounds.php

Sep 13, 2013 at 08:15 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3884 #9 · p.3884 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Matt Jackson has Strega running strong: with its newly installed canopy, Strega came from the back of the pack to win today's Unlimited Silver heat going away. With Strega back in the hunt, tomorrow's Unlimited Gold heat will be very interesting...

Sep 13, 2013 at 08:51 PM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3884 #10 · p.3884 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Is it October Yet?

Sep 13, 2013 at 10:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Leo Hursh
• • •
p.3884 #11 · p.3884 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Angry wrote:
Sorry guys I must have missed it,..been chasing my tail.
Did anyone have an opinion on this Alliance Lens question

Al

Al, Jim is right about the focal lengths but make sure you rent the V2 of the lens. It will save you 2.5-3 lbs. As an option, why not look at renting a 200-400? It looks to be similarly priced for rental as the 400 2.8 II and about 1/2 lb lighter to boot.

Lens Rentals 200-400
The owner, Roger, is a member on these forums (RCicala). I don't have any affiliation with this company other than being a satisfied customer!

Sep 13, 2013 at 11:05 PM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3884 #12 · p.3884 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

KNOCK KNOCK..

Sep 13, 2013 at 11:51 PM
DanNehmer
• •
p.3884 #13 · p.3884 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

WOW! That is awesome Jay, what a perspective. Amazing to me, 3884 pages of airplane pictures you're still finding a new way to shoot them.

Dan

Sep 14, 2013 at 12:28 AM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3884 #14 · p.3884 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks Dan...

Just trying to think outside the BOx

Sep 14, 2013 at 12:34 AM
david russell
• • •
p.3884 #15 · p.3884 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

FlyingPhotog wrote:

KNOCK KNOCK..
http://crosswindimages.com/img/s10/v101/p2049927464.jpg

The spirit of George Thorogood?

Sep 14, 2013 at 12:46 AM
J Mosher
• •
p.3884 #16 · p.3884 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jay,
Loving your images! That B-1 shot and F-22 weapons bay door open shot are Badass!

I always read this thread but lately I haven't had an image to share.

I found one...

Jeremy

Edited on Sep 16, 2013 at 10:45 PM · View previous versions

Sep 14, 2013 at 12:54 AM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3884 #17 · p.3884 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Well, Strega was DQ'ed for a show line cut. Matt Jackson said he was forced off his line by two slower racers maneuvering in front of him, but there it is. I guess that means he starts at the back of the Silver pack again tomorrow, so he still has a shot at the Gold final on Sunday if he wins the heat tomorrow.

Sep 14, 2013 at 01:23 AM
Colin Giersberg
• • • •
p.3884 #18 · p.3884 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Wonderful Bone in your face shot. Please do post more, Jay.

Sep 14, 2013 at 01:54 AM
Colin Giersberg
• • • •
p.3884 #19 · p.3884 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jeremy, I really like the F35 shot.

Sep 14, 2013 at 01:55 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3884 #20 · p.3884 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Ok Gang, I need an approximate head count for rooms at the Marriott/HQ. I'm thinking this is close:

AL - Wed/Thurs/Sun/Mon
Zim - Wed/ Thurs/Sun
Glenn & Nadya - Thurs
Jay - Thurs/Sun
Larry - Wed/Thurs/Sun
Lady Jo - Thurs

Who might I be missing? I'll have Monday evening in reserve for Zim, just in case there is WX. Glenn, I'll get you a PPR for Friday am in and Friday evening out. Just get me aircraft specifics as soon as you know them.

Sep 14, 2013 at 02:41 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password