Nerdfest at the OK Corral: Round 2

...the video.

http://bit.ly/WOPTRA

Jul 31, 2014 at 12:15 PM
Jeff W.
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3878 #2 · p.3878 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

What a fun video Steve. At least put a Stetson and some spurs on your quadcopter if you're going to use it to replace the iconic American cowboy

Jul 31, 2014 at 12:46 PM
futurshox
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3878 #3 · p.3878 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Just needs some laser bolts shooting from the quadcopters!

If we're in video mode; here's one I made of last weekend's fun and games, taking my Jeep off road for the first time.

Jul 31, 2014 at 01:50 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3878 #4 · p.3878 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Good points Jeff. Across the board Canon has demonstrated that their focus is on Cine products. The migration from white to black is no secret, the only person I know who has gone the other direction in the last few years is Kelby and there were millions of "Canon Bucks" pushing that brand shift.

It's not that I don't love my 1DX bodies, I do, but when you have tens of thousands of dollars invested in a brand and that brand begins dropping off the map in sponsorship and visibility in your field, it does dampen your enthusiasm for that product. Oh yeah, then there's the three or four years of patent filing announcements, followed by vaporware releases. All in all it doesn't give you the feeling that they have your back.

I'm just whining and promise to quit reading out of date NAB releases (that in spirit still apply). My Canon gear has paid for itself hundreds of times over and served me well. When it's time to move on, it's time to move on. Just is contrary to my marketing instincts. I don't like to give my clients a reason to look elsewhere when I've worked so diligently to build confidence and loyalty, and find it odd when others do.

Jul 31, 2014 at 02:18 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3878 #5 · p.3878 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Zim that is just hilarious! You may well have invented an entirely new industry. I love the clip where the cow is looking right at your Phantom trying to figure out just what in the world is going on.

Jul 31, 2014 at 03:40 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3878 #6 · p.3878 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Is Adobe trying to push Lightroom into the Creative Cloud? My standalone copy of LR5 told me there was an update available, but when I tried to download it, I was directed to do the update through Creative Cloud. Anybody else seen this?

Jul 31, 2014 at 03:59 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3878 #7 · p.3878 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I just booted LR5 up, got the update notice and clicked two download buttons and it appears to be downloading normally.

Jul 31, 2014 at 04:14 PM
gerov
• • • • •
p.3878 #8 · p.3878 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Steve, that was an awesome video.

Gero

Jul 31, 2014 at 04:25 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3878 #9 · p.3878 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
I just booted LR5 up, got the update notice and clicked two download buttons and it appears to be downloading normally.

Do you also have a CC subscription, Jim?

Jul 31, 2014 at 04:55 PM
Wrei
• • • •
p.3878 #10 · p.3878 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Zim, I have the $9.99/mo. CC for Photoshop and desktop LR5. When I opened LR5 this morning, it asked if I wanted to upgrade. Everything went normal, including my .4Mb download speed from Clear/Sprint.

Jul 31, 2014 at 05:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3878 #11 · p.3878 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I guess the difference is that I have the full CC subscription, though this is the first time I've had to update LR through the CC control panel.

Jul 31, 2014 at 05:18 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3878 #12 · p.3878 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I'm sure that Adobe is going to herd us non CC dinosaurs in that direction, it just makes sense. I'm going to get the most from what I have already ponied up for, and then I'll step into the future.

Jul 31, 2014 at 05:42 PM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
p.3878 #13 · p.3878 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hey Steve: The first good use of a drone i've seen - screwing with cows...thats something I could get into!

Jul 31, 2014 at 06:51 PM
Jan-Arie
• • • •
p.3878 #14 · p.3878 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Maybe a long-shot but what if Canon decides not to upgrade the current models etc .
By now I have some great gear but there comes a point that something has to be replaced and switching a brand would be pretty expensive for me.

Ill try one of your Nikon's when I come over...

Jul 31, 2014 at 06:55 PM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.3878 #15 · p.3878 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Canon Rumours reckon 7D2 will be announced at Photokina, along with a new 100-400 that features a ring zoom.

Like JA, I'm not too sure the economics of a switch would work for me. However, I know a lot of folk in the UK who have opted for the D7100 rather than waiting for a D300 replacement who love it, and it does seem to produce nice sharp images.

If I were to swap to Nikon I would get the following:

D810, 14-24 2.8, 24-70 2.8, 70-200, 2.8, 500F4.

Jul 31, 2014 at 07:58 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3878 #16 · p.3878 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I don't think that Canon is going to pull out of the market, and they still have very good gear. Right or wrong, I like my gear to be on the cutting edge, it motivates me to shoot with the latest and greatest. When you shoot the volume of assignments that I do, anything that can keep you excited and fresh, is worth the price of admission. Switching brands, for anybody with a collection of bodies and lenses, is a tough pill to swallow, and one shouldn't just jump off the deep end willy nilly. Seems to me that Canon will update, albeit slowly, and still produce fine products in the still market. Look at the 200-400 for instance. The large sensor is what lured me away. Canon promised it long before Nikon ever mentioned it, then Nikon announced, produced, announced and produced a second time and Canon still talks about their patent. I can't make money with their patent

If I didn't have the need for the D800 series, I'd be happy with what my Canon gear produces. You guys don't need to be in a rush to jump ship.

Jul 31, 2014 at 08:51 PM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.3878 #17 · p.3878 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

If you look closely at what Canon have been doing, they have revamped and released a lot of their L glass line up over the past couple of years. Rumours of 35L and 50L being done early next year. All this points to getting the glass refreshed so that it can resolve higher resolutions before releasing the higher MP cameras.

The time to swap brands for me would have been when I bought the 1DIV and 70-200 2.8 II. Earlier this year I bought the 24-70 2.8 II.

The one lens I wish Canon did was a 14-24.

Jul 31, 2014 at 09:20 PM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.3878 #18 · p.3878 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I'm not looking to swap brands. It doesn't make economic sense for me at this time. I'm simply disappointed that Canon apparently doesn't care that they are losing market share and previously loyal pros. I don't think that bodes well for Canon's future in still photography. They've definitely introduced some wonderful new glass, but I don't see that making up for the fact that Canon is becoming an "also ran" in the DSLR market.

There is a chance that a large segment of new shooters may have gone to Nikon because they had the "best" when these folks entered the DSLR market during the past 2-3 years. Regardless of future technology advancements, Canon may not be able to lure these folks to swap for the very same reason many of us Canon shooters cannot do so now. I think the potential loss of "new blood" could really hurt Canon long-term.

Edited on Aug 01, 2014 at 01:09 AM · View previous versions

Jul 31, 2014 at 10:44 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3878 #19 · p.3878 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Uh, oh, looks like the other shoe is about to drop: just got an email from Adobe saying that they will renew my CC subscription on 01 September at $49.99, plus taxes. I've been paying $19.99 per month, and my CC account plan detail page still says that my next bill date will be August 31, for a total of $19.99.

I thought I was grandfathered in at the $19.99/mo rate, but it looks like Adobe doesn't think so.

Jul 31, 2014 at 10:50 PM
Wrei
• • • •
p.3878 #20 · p.3878 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I held off buying into Adobe's software rental concept until they announced the $9.99/mo. price was no longer 'introductory' or 'special', and was the set price. I figured if I couldn't afford to upgrade my Canon cameras, I would upgrade my software. We'll see.

edit for TOPP: Sorry, no airplanes...

Edited on Aug 01, 2014 at 02:28 AM · View previous versions

Jul 31, 2014 at 10:59 PM
1       2       3              3877      
       3879              4529       4530       end

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3877      
       3879              4529       4530       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password