FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3876      
       3878              4532       4533       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevezzzz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3877 #1 · p.3877 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

My friend Butch has a place in the mountains above Pagosa Springs, CO. Seems that his neighbor's cows had strayed onto his property and were setting up camp in his meadow, eating his grass and fouling his pond. The neighbor was slow to do anything about it (Colorado law requires you to 'fence out' livestock, a holdover from the open range era) so when I showed up one day last week on my way home from Monterey, as certified nerds we did the only logical thing: we used two quadcopters to herd the cows back to the neighbor's place.

It worked, too.

[you can see Butch's Phantom at top center against the trees...]

Nerdfest at the OK Corral

Jul 30, 2014 at 02:43 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.3877 #2 · p.3877 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
*sigh*

Seems to me that Canon has clearly lost interest in the stills shooters who built its business.

That's a very old announcement, from March. NAB 2014 was in April. I think the current target date for announcements is Photokina in September.

In other news, the last surviving crew member of the Enola Gay has died:

Theodore VanKirk

Mark

Jul 30, 2014 at 03:04 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3877 #3 · p.3877 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I threw together a video from the externally mounted Garmin VIRB Elite, of yesterday's formation flight (I use the term loosely) with the Sinus Flex.

http://www.stevezphoto.us/pipistrel619/h89e6c0d#h89e6c0d

Jul 30, 2014 at 03:45 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3877 #4 · p.3877 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Great use of a Quad Zim! Don't Youtube it, there will be a whole slate of department of agriculture regulations implemented, oh........and not to mention PITA!

Jul 30, 2014 at 03:59 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3877 #5 · p.3877 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Nice a2a video. Must be nice to have backdrops that go on forever for your compositions, just beautiful!

Jul 30, 2014 at 04:02 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3877 #6 · p.3877 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
*sigh*

Seems to me that Canon has clearly lost interest in the stills shooters who built its business.

Yup! Regardless of the age of that announcement, the message hasn't changed. What gets me is the fact that they no longer even care to disguise their lack of interest in us. Good news for Nikon.

Jul 30, 2014 at 04:05 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3877 #7 · p.3877 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

AvWeb had a little blurb just now about a drone (Phantom II) that zipped over some people's heads at about 75' and continued down in between the exhibit halls. Nobody seems to know who was flying it, and EAA had not approved drone flight on the grounds. Man, there are some dufus's out there. But it's kind of like terrorists (you know "workplace violence"....) it's pretty difficult to stop individuals from doing stuff like that, they're there and then they're gone.

Jul 30, 2014 at 05:10 PM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.3877 #8 · p.3877 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Canon underwhelms for a second year............

Regardless of what Canon does or does not announce, I'm of the opinion that they don't believe in still photography. Many of their long-time "Explorers of Light" professionals have bailed to Nikon. The #1 reasons cited is that Canon is going in a direction (business wise) that does not have still photography as a primary area of emphasis.

It's sad for me to see this happening, but I can't deny the obvious anymore. Nikon is head and shoulders above Canon. Not just because of the wonderful cameras they've released the past few years, but because it is obvious that Nikon continues to believe in still photography.

Jul 30, 2014 at 06:49 PM
gerov
• • • • •
p.3877 #9 · p.3877 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jeff,
how is that 'Blad treating you - have you had a chance to experiment with it?

Gero

Jul 30, 2014 at 08:13 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3877 #10 · p.3877 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

At the risk of boring most of you, here's another Tesla owner's response to someone who was worried about the 'compromises' inherent in owning a Model S, and the feasibility of taking road trips:

"I would say all potential buyers worry about road trips. It's hard to imagine what else there is to worry about since really the only thing an ICE [ed.: internal combustion engine] car can do that a Model S can't is drive 400 miles, stop for 10 minutes, and repeat.

"Of course I worried about [road trips]. Then I did the research, thought about my actual usage, realised I was worrying about nothing, and paid my deposit.

"I can't wrap my head around spending $80k and then having to make compromises either. That's why I didn't buy a car that compromises safety by sitting my kids on top of 100 liters of highly flammable liquid every time I want to take them to school. I didn't buy a car that compromises practicality by eating into the usable space with engines and transmissions and fluids and gearboxes and fuel tanks. I didn't buy a car that compromises performance just to keep the running costs down. I didn't buy a car that compromises responsiveness by having to have a complex gearbox to work around the fact that the propulsion system can only operate well in a narrow window of speeds. I didn't buy a car that compromises future-proofing and upgradeability just so that the manufacturer can sell me a new one in 2 years time. I didn't buy a car that compromises customer service by making me deal with a profit hungry dealership who don't have my interests at heart. I didn't buy a car that compromises my wallet by making me spend more on fuel than I spent buying the car itself.

"There are compromises everywhere. You just need to stop and realise that the ones you are already making are just as big a deal as the new ones you might face in future."

Jul 30, 2014 at 08:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3877 #11 · p.3877 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Sure like those gulling doors on the "X". Don't particularly like the yahoo on the blog who wants everyone to sign a petition banning fossil fueled vehicles......sheesh!

Jul 30, 2014 at 11:00 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3877 #12 · p.3877 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

The angle in your shot really accentuates the beautiful lines of your "S". I'm thinking that was taken prior to your FOD incident.

Jul 30, 2014 at 11:01 PM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.3877 #13 · p.3877 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

gerov wrote:
Jeff,
how is that 'Blad treating you - have you had a chance to experiment with it?

Gero

Hey Gero; good to hear from you. I love my Hasselblad. I've not been able to use it as much as I had hoped; however, it is a wonderful piece of photographic equipment. In addition to my 80mm CF lens, I have acquired a 50mm CF and 150mm CF. I've also begun accumulating some accessories that let me customize my 'Blad to best suit my needs. My 500CM is a 1984 vintage unit and works like it just came off the factory floor in Göteborg. I continue to me amazed at this "outdated" analog technology. IMHO, Victor was waaaaaaay ahead of his time. A modular camera system that you could argue still has no equal.

120 flim is still plentiful; however, I've hedged my bets and laid-in a generous supply that is kept chilled in a special refrigerator at the house. After playing with Kodak "T" films (i.e. T-MAX100/440), I've settled on Fuji Neopan Acros100 with IlfordFP4+ for my B&W images. I found a stash of good Fuji Velvia 50 from a guy in Oregon and have a generous supply of that for my color needs.

I've had to relearn my spot meter and take a refresher on the Zone system, but I truly believe that will help me with my digital captures in addition to my film work. I've also be reminding myself how to process my film in the kitchen. The trick is to successfully navigate the lovely Mrs. and not lose my access privileges

When I get some extra time from a very busy schedule to really dial in my film technique, I'll post a few here for some quality MA2A C&C. Sorry to palaver.

Jul 30, 2014 at 11:49 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3877 #14 · p.3877 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
The angle in your shot really accentuates the beautiful lines of your "S". I'm thinking that was taken prior to your FOD incident.

Yes, Jim, this was shot in February on my way home from El Centro. The backdrop is Comb Wash in southern Utah.

Speaking of El Centro...

Edited on Jul 31, 2014 at 01:17 AM · View previous versions

Jul 31, 2014 at 01:10 AM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3877 #15 · p.3877 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Sure like those gulling doors on the "X". Don't particularly like the yahoo on the blog who wants everyone to sign a petition banning fossil fueled vehicles......sheesh!

The 'Falcon Wing' doors on the X are something: they'll allow you to stand up from your seat in the second row and don't extend more than about six-eight inches out from the car as they open. As for the blog, the environmental aspect of owning an EV is way down the list of reasons to buy one, behind safety, performance, handling, comfort, convenience and several other things.

Jul 31, 2014 at 01:14 AM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3877 #16 · p.3877 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

And, just because, here's a shot from HQ Thursday last year: Jim and Kevin on the go after shooting some Wilson 1 arrivals.

Jul 31, 2014 at 01:19 AM
gerov
• • • • •
p.3877 #17 · p.3877 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jeff W. wrote:
Hey Gero; good to hear from you. I love my Hasselblad. I've not been able to use it as much as I had hoped; however, it is a wonderful piece of photographic equipment. In addition to my 80mm CF lens, I have acquired a 50mm CF and 150mm CF. I've also begun accumulating some accessories that let me customize my 'Blad to best suit my needs. My 500CM is a 1984 vintage unit and works like it just came off the factory floor in Göteborg. I continue to me amazed at this "outdated" analog technology. IMHO, Victor was waaaaaaay
...Show more

Jeff,

Palavering is quite ok in my book I have a 1956 Rolleiflex TLR that my stepfather bought as a PhD student in Tuebingen, Germany back in 1956. One of the most sublime things with these cameras is to look down through a ground glass viewfinder that is as big as the negative and seeing that image pop into focus. The lens on my TLR is wonderfully sharp, and I've taken some wonderful images with it. My favorite films have been Ilford Pan F plus (50) and Velvia 50 as well.

Look forward to seeing some of your work with your camera.

Gero

Jul 31, 2014 at 01:24 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3877 #18 · p.3877 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Wow Zim, love that capture of Kevin and me in 7PC. Looking forward to the next time!

Jul 31, 2014 at 02:45 AM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3877 #19 · p.3877 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Why are people reading NAB press releases in any fashion related to still photography?

NAB = National Association of BROADCASTERS...

As for EOL jumping ship, I know four of them personally and NONE have migrated to any other brand so I call BS on that statement.

Jul 31, 2014 at 06:13 AM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.3877 #20 · p.3877 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

FlyingPhotog wrote:
Why are people reading NAB press releases in any fashion related to still photography?

NAB = National Association of BROADCASTERS...

As for EOL jumping ship, I know four of them personally and NONE have migrated to any other brand so I call BS on that statement.

Jay - Your loyalty to Canon is laudable. It hasn't been easy for me to watch as Canon continues to sit on the sidelines while Nikon produces superior cameras. I still think Canon has the edge on glass, but they are lagging behind in high-end sensors for still photography.

You're at Oshkosh, is Canon? I checked the EAA website and while they list Nikon, they don't list anything for Canon. Maybe I'm misinformed, but it is my understanding that Canon no longer participates in Oshkosh - why?

Lastly, calling BS on my statement regarding EOL defection simply does not wash. I know three EOL folks that have jumped ship to Nikon. One is Seth Resnick. You can read about his rationale here: http://www.d-65.com/blog/coming-home-to-nikon-the-story-behind-the-story/ - decide for yourself. Besides the EOL folks, there are plenty of hard working professional shooters that own a ton of Canon gear and are now buying Nikon.

I hope Canon proves me wrong. I hope they introduce a new camera that rivals or exceeds the performance of Nikon's D800 and D810 cameras. Heck, they've had plenty of time to come up with something. We will see if there is more disappointment from Canon at Photokina this September or if they finally try to be competitive with Nikon? Even if they do intro a rival for the D810, let's see how long it takes Canon to go from announcement to having cameras in the market. Their performance on delivery for the 1DX was not impressive. Again, I'd love for Canon to prove me wrong. That being said, I've stopped holding my breath waiting for the proof.

Edit for TOPP:

Edited on Jul 31, 2014 at 12:41 PM · View previous versions

Jul 31, 2014 at 11:57 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password