Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3876      
       3878              4356       4357       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3877 #1 · p.3877 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

The City of McKinney finally got it done:

http://www.allenamerican.com/articles/2013/09/06/allen_american/news/365.txt

Cutter, who I have never been a fan of, is gone 10/31 as is a questionable real estate developer who has held sway over the airport for decades. This will be good for the airport, and opens a few doors for some plans we have in the near future. Couldn't happen at a better time. I don't expect fuel prices to drop, but as long as a quick trip to Sherman saves me two bucks plus a gallon, I'm good.

Sep 07, 2013 at 01:17 AM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3877 #2 · p.3877 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

That's seriously into the Blue/Black Hour!

If you're lucky Jim, you may get CAF HQ as a new neighbor...

Your airport is on the short list.

Sep 07, 2013 at 01:20 AM
Wrei
• • • •
p.3877 #3 · p.3877 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

There use to be a pastel blue B-25 sporting the CAF stamp that would visit Ellington in the middle '70s. The Pilot, co-pilot and bombadier's seat were all covered in pastel blue leather and were very comfy, but it never looked right.

Sep 07, 2013 at 01:23 AM
KZinnack
• •
p.3877 #4 · p.3877 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Speaking of striking imagery:

http://archdezart.com/2012/05/12/54-amazing-military-photos/

Great shots! The F-15 from the Mass. ANG especially so. My son-in-law is currently a crew chief with the 104th. The Lt. Col. , Chris Bigelow, used to be SSgt Chris Bigelow when we both joined the unit in 1986. We were both SAC KC-135A crewchiefs and quickly became friends. I seperated from the 104th and Chris finished college and became a pilot on the A-10s and then F-15s.Thank you for sharing the pictures.

Sep 07, 2013 at 01:34 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3877 #5 · p.3877 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Ain't ever going to happen Jay. The CAF wants lots of gimme's and McKinney isn't into those. Reason 2, we are bordered by a city that sues us when a hangar door squeaks, so McKinney isn't going to get too excited about making a home for a bunch of thundering warbirds. I could be wrong, but the City would have to have a major change of heart. Grayson County is a more likely choice, although it's out in the middle of nowhere, and they don't have deep enough pockets to offer incentives. McKinney has the pockets, but they turn down 90% of the opportunities that come to them, which has been great for the surrounding area. That Marriott, and all those shops surrounding it, Mckinney turned their nose up at all that.

Selfishly, they would probably want the same ground we're looking at, and that might complicate things a bit.

Sep 07, 2013 at 01:36 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3877 #6 · p.3877 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Wrei wrote:
There use to be a pastel blue B-25 sporting the CAF stamp that would visit Ellington in the middle '70s. The Pilot, co-pilot and bombadier's seat were all covered in pastel blue leather and were very comfy, but it never looked right.

Eeeeeeew!

Sep 07, 2013 at 01:37 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3877 #7 · p.3877 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Although, I did hear that the CAF "Airsho" will remain in Midland for another 10 years, by contract with the city. So McKinney wouldn't have to deal with the fallout from hosting that event, for a while.

Sep 07, 2013 at 01:40 AM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3877 #8 · p.3877 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Ain't ever going to happen Jay. The CAF wants lots of gimme's and McKinney isn't into those. Reason 2, we are bordered by a city that sues us when a hangar door squeaks, so McKinney isn't going to get too excited about making a home for a bunch of thundering warbirds. I could be wrong, but the City would have to have a major change of heart. Grayson County is a more likely choice, although it's out in the middle of nowhere, and they don't have deep enough pockets to offer incentives. McKinney has the pockets, but they turn down
...Show more

Very true, but it's not the museum and home for "Airsho" they're looking at. It would be an entirely new museum and interactive thing that would be built from the ground up as a revenue-generating aviation "experience"

Key Word: Revenue (which is taxable...)

Sep 07, 2013 at 03:59 AM
Jeff W.
• • •
p.3877 #9 · p.3877 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Jeff,

1.) Things might have changed, but no one touched my Blads, but Blad. Tony Corbell and Ernst Wildi watched over my gear with eagle eyes.

2.) No, replacing the seal isn't a big deal for Blad, but neither is an oil change on a BMW, it's just more expensive than you would think. I'm guessing a seal refurb on one back is probably $150 or so, but that's just a guess.

3.) Yes, The Super Wide is an architecturally perfect camera. No distortion, sharp as a tack. The drawback is, no tilt/shift, it is what it is. Often you will be
...Show more

Thanks much for the sage counsel Jim - the journey begins

Night moves at KPHX...

Sep 07, 2013 at 06:28 AM
Jan-Arie
• • • •
p.3877 #10 · p.3877 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Nice light on that last one Jeff.

While searching the files for a couple of Spitfire photo's for my Nephew's school project I'm came past this one missed in the past wile editing

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +1.4x lens    400mm    f/13.0    1/250s    100 ISO    +0.7 EV  

Sep 07, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

cbrandt
• • •
p.3877 #11 · p.3877 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Sounds like good news for Allen Jim ...... our airport is County owned.

Sep 07, 2013 at 04:07 PM
Jeff W.
• • •
p.3877 #12 · p.3877 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jan-Arie wrote:
Nice light on that last one Jeff.

While searching the files for a couple of Spitfire photo's for my Nephew's school project I'm came past this one missed in the past wile editing

Thanks for the kind words J-A. I love the Spit in B&W - nice conversion sir

v.2 of Night Moves at KPHX...

Sep 07, 2013 at 04:13 PM
Jeff W.
• • •
p.3877 #13 · p.3877 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
The City of McKinney finally got it done:

http://www.allenamerican.com/articles/2013/09/06/allen_american/news/365.txt

Cutter, who I have never been a fan of, is gone 10/31 as is a questionable real estate developer who has held sway over the airport for decades. This will be good for the airport, and opens a few doors for some plans we have in the near future. Couldn't happen at a better time. I don't expect fuel prices to drop, but as long as a quick trip to Sherman saves me two bucks plus a gallon, I'm good.

"The airport runway is the most important mainstreet in any town."

Norm Crabtree, former aviation director for the state of Ohio.

Sep 07, 2013 at 04:41 PM
astrobrian
• • •
p.3877 #14 · p.3877 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Playing around with a 10x30 crop.

Sep 07, 2013 at 05:12 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3877 #15 · p.3877 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Who knows? McKinney might bite. Having been deeply involved at TKI for close to 30 years, I'm skeptical. We're looking at several options for our own needs. One would involve buying HP's hangar, which has been empty for several years, the other is having Butch build us a new version about the same size on one of two possible sites, one on the airport, one "through the fence". HP's hangar is nice and with a little refurb would look like new, a plus with that one would be the fact that a million bucks worth of concrete is already out in front of it. We would have to pony up for that if we went new. The drawback to anything on the airport is that legally it could become the city's property in 40 years. That option has never been exercised by the city, and they claim they never will, but legally it could happen. My flying activities will most likely be scaled back somewhat by 2053, but I like to keep my options open

Sep 07, 2013 at 07:41 PM
astrobrian
• • •
p.3877 #16 · p.3877 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Is it really that quiet on here today?

Sep 08, 2013 at 03:33 AM
david russell
• • •
p.3877 #17 · p.3877 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

astrobrian wrote:
Is it really that quiet on here today?

Well Brian, I was sitting here this evening reflecting on my flying......I took a gentleman named Bill on his first ever glider flight yesterday. Bill is, amongst other things, one of the pilots of "fifi" and a very high time pilot. He did an amazing job of flying the second half of the tow and cored several thermals like a pro. The man is a good stick.

As we flew, the obvious questions came up: "how do we know we can make the airport?", " what if the wind changes?", "what if the runway is blocked?" "What if the rope breaks down low? and so on. Some of the answers seemed to unsettle him and he was actually pretty tense during the approach to land. It became obvious that along with being a good stick, that he was very CRM and procedure oriented....very.

I'm sitting here tonight thinking that while I would give my left.....well anything.... to get the same hour of stick time in fifi that he got in my glider, I have no interest in flying anything that is so procedure driven. I like a bit of the unknown, the solo flight and the real time risk management that seems to go with flying gliders.

But man....fifi? If only I could get an hour in the right seat of that thing....

Enough thinking for tonight.....gotta fly in the morning.

Edited on Sep 08, 2013 at 05:24 AM · View previous versions

Sep 08, 2013 at 04:08 AM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.3877 #18 · p.3877 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Speaking of B-29's, I stumbled across this on eBay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/380707567062?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649

It's the steering yoke button from a B-29. On the back it's engraved "Devils Delight, first flight Oct 5, 1944, flew over Tokyo Nov 29, 1944 Pilot Wm Douds".

Nov 29, 1944 was the first B-29 raid over Tokyo. A little research shows that Devils Delight was on that raid, and Douds was her pilot.

Less than a day to go, over $200 right now. Wonder where it will end up. I bet it would look good on Fifi.

Mark

Sep 08, 2013 at 04:48 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3877 #19 · p.3877 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Ruminations such as yours David, make MA2A such a great place. We're so much more than cool images, although we are that too.

Gracie and I taking the active to watch the sunset tonight..................

Sep 08, 2013 at 05:22 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3877 #20 · p.3877 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I have got the SL dialed in. We shot a dozen landings tonight where you could barely feel the tundras roll onto the runway. I love that airplane!

Sep 08, 2013 at 05:24 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password