Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3875      
       3877              4374       4375       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

FlyingPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3876 #1 · p.3876 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Before you can have a "Bomber Moon" .. You have to have a "Bomber Sunset"

Sep 05, 2013 at 10:06 PM
gerov
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3876 #2 · p.3876 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Fabulous, Jay

Sep 05, 2013 at 10:22 PM
nrferguson
• • •
p.3876 #3 · p.3876 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Off to Greece to follow Henri cartier-Bresson to the island of Sifnos tomorrow - just happen to have friends with a house on the island, if it had been an island not made famous by C-B we would still be goinf there so will probably have about 200 pages to catch by the time we get back
Niall

RIAT 2013

Sep 05, 2013 at 10:38 PM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3876 #4 · p.3876 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

gerov wrote:
Fabulous, Jay

TYVM...

Sep 05, 2013 at 10:58 PM
Jeff W.
• • •
p.3876 #5 · p.3876 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I need help from the large reservoir of expertise here on MA2A. I'm looking to slowly acquire both a Hasselblad 500 series and SWC camera with two or three lenses. I'm not giving up my digital equipment or aviation photography by a long shot. What I do have is a hankering to spend some quality time exposing Kodak Tmax 100 or Ilford Pan F Plus film and I'm not getting any younger. There are some special places here in Arizona I want to explore at a slower pace and Victor's 6x6 format seems just the ticket.

Before I go spend a few of my hard earned shells, I need to become more conversant in all things Hasselblad. I guess I should have paid more attention to dad when he had his Hasselblads. Specifically I'll be looking at the 500 C and SWC series bodies. I'd also like some input on lens selection. I'll clearly be in the used market and want to choose wisely. Any help, pointers, references, etc would be sincerely appreciated.

Sep 05, 2013 at 11:22 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.3876 #6 · p.3876 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I think you need to schedule a phone call with Shooter. Decades of hands-on Hasselblad experience right there.

That being said, and though you've surely already been down that path, why not an old film 35mm camera? The cost would be much, much less, and the photographic experience is not so different. Easier to set up your own darkroom, too. Share with us, if you will, some of your thought process so far... I'd be extremely interested in reading about it.

Sep 05, 2013 at 11:32 PM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3876 #7 · p.3876 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

If you have the time, patience and scratch to go Medium Format, IMO, given what we have to shoot in AZ, DO IT!

Imagine getting the kind of detail I have in that Superstitions pano in only one frame instead of 20?!

Makes me giddy just thinking about it!

Sep 06, 2013 at 12:02 AM
Jeff W.
• • •
p.3876 #8 · p.3876 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
I think you need to schedule a phone call with Shooter. Decades of hands-on Hasselblad experience right there.

That being said, and though you've surely already been down that path, why not an old film 35mm camera? The cost would be much, much less, and the photographic experience is not so different. Easier to set up your own darkroom, too. Share with us, if you will, some of your thought process so far... I'd be extremely interested in reading about it.

I'm hoping Jim will chime-in when he gets a free minute or two.

No doubt Rodolfo, an old 35mm film camera would be easier on my bank account. I've always been attracted to the 1:1 ratio and Hasselblad's 6x6 format fills that bill in spades. All these years later, I can still remember looking down into my father's Hasselblad and being intrigued the laterally reversed image that appeared to be glowing on the focusing screen. I believe the 1:1 ratio challenges me to slow down and really work on achieving a solid composition. I also think that medium format is a good compromise between 35mm and large format.

Without getting all sappy about it, I've had a thing for Hasselblad's ever since I watched my father wield his. In addition, my wife is one generation removed from Sweden and it definitely carries some mojo at my house. I've got more thoughts to share; however, I've got to attend a late appointment - those pesky clients. More to come later

Sep 06, 2013 at 12:13 AM
astrobrian
• • •
p.3876 #9 · p.3876 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Sep 06, 2013 at 01:51 AM
Jeff W.
• • •
p.3876 #10 · p.3876 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

FlyingPhotog wrote:
If you have the time, patience and scratch to go Medium Format, IMO, given what we have to shoot in AZ, DO IT!

Imagine getting the kind of detail I have in that Superstitions pano in only one frame instead of 20?!

Makes me giddy just thinking about it!

Jay - I'll definitely make the time and work on the patience. Regarding the cost and just to be clear, I'm talking about a film camera - not digital. If I had the cash for a medium format digital camera, I'd go with a Phase One. As it is, I should be able to get a good condition used 500 C series body for less than a new high-end DSLR. A good used Hasselblad SWC will be more $$$.

Sep 06, 2013 at 02:07 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3876 #11 · p.3876 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Ahhh, "Hasselblad", nothing quite like a vintage Blad. Wish I had known, this will make you weep Jeff, but I sold two virtually new 203 FE bodies, a 50mm, 150mm, 250mm, 140-280 zoom, finder, UV and polarizers (Zeiss) for each lens, two 12 and two 24 exposure backs, a polaroid back, all in a Halliburton case.........$5,000 in cash. Probably hadn't had a dozen rolls of film run through it.

Sold two 500c/m bodies, a 40mm, 50mm,150mm, 250mm, 350mm, four backs, meter finder, filters, winder, a polaroid back, $2,300.

The last camera I sold was my Fuji GX617 panoramic. All the detail of a Blad with a pano format, unbelievable image quality. Two lenses, ground glass, center spot ND filters, and polarizers. Mint condition, $2,200.00.

Depressing, but so was the fact that they were sitting in cases which I opened every six months to work the shutters.

I'd suggest you go with 500C/M bodies. The C models are very long in the tooth and you do not want to have a Blad repaired. I used to send mine in to be serviced, with nothing really wrong and the bill was generally three or four hundred bucks. The biggest thing you have to watch for is the seal in the backs wear out over time and you get light leaks. The dark slide rides on the seal and eventually it just fails. The problem is, it's not a failure you can diagnose, before it damages film. You shoot Polaroid with the Polaroid back, then put your film back on, pull your slide out an begin shooting. Don't waste your money on a winder, mine never failed to jam the body requiring a trip back to Blad....$300 bucks.

The bodies and lenses are bullet proof. Every once in a while a leaf shutter will fail, but it's rare, generally as a result of a jolt. I had an impatient client think it was funny to grab up one of my cases as I shot a final exposure. Before I could yell to him that the case wasn't latched, he lifted it up and bounced six lenses and two bodies off an asphalt driveway. The shutters in all six lenses failed within a day. The bill from Blad was seven grand. The client wouldn't go near one of my cases from that day on, which was my preference to begin with.

Anything in particular that I can tell you about shooting a Blad? It's pretty much still "f/8 and be there", just slower and with a "clunk" rather than a zip. I still have the pristine 500C that God sent to me 34 years ago, it's at HQ in plain sight to remind me what a miracle every day of my life has been, and how all He asked was trust.

Here's a 6x6 to whet your whistle...............

Sep 06, 2013 at 03:40 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3876 #12 · p.3876 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Oh yeah, There was a pristine, current production SW in there with the 500 C/M set, ugh, nauseates me a little to think of it.

Sep 06, 2013 at 03:48 AM
futurshox
• • • •
p.3876 #13 · p.3876 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I just learnt that the World Aerobatic Championships 2013 are being held in Sherman, TX (KGYI) in October!
http://wac2013.com

Sep 06, 2013 at 12:15 PM
Jeff W.
• • •
p.3876 #14 · p.3876 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Ahhh, "Hasselblad", nothing quite like a vintage Blad. Wish I had known, this will make you weep Jeff, but I sold two virtually new 203 FE bodies, a 50mm, 150mm, 250mm, 140-280 zoom, finder, UV and polarizers (Zeiss) for each lens, two 12 and two 24 exposure backs, a polaroid back, all in a Halliburton case.........$5,000 in cash. Probably hadn't had a dozen rolls of film run through it.

Sold two 500c/m bodies, a 40mm, 50mm,150mm, 250mm, 350mm, four backs, meter finder, filters, winder, a polaroid back, $2,300.

The last camera I sold was my Fuji GX617 panoramic. All the
...Show more

Thanks for the solid information Jim, my whistle has definitely been whet. I wish I would have been in position to take advantage of your 500c/m package - that individual got a tremendous bargain IMO. Slow and square is precisely what I'm looking for. A few follow-up questions and I'll stop taking up valuable MA2A bandwidth.

1. Whom do you recommend for Hasselblad repair work?

2. How big a deal is it to get a worn-out seal replaced?

3. Did you find any advantage to shooting with the SWC versus a 500c/m?

Sep 06, 2013 at 02:53 PM
Razor17
• •
p.3876 #15 · p.3876 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Carl Best in his T-6 at the Lancaster Fly-In last weekend.

Texas Heat

Sep 06, 2013 at 04:11 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3876 #16 · p.3876 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

My old ride, "Pacific Prowler" sold on the QT a few weeks ago. If I have my way, it will sell again in the very near future.

Sep 07, 2013 at 12:10 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3876 #17 · p.3876 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jeff,

1.) Things might have changed, but no one touched my Blads, but Blad. Tony Corbell and Ernst Wildi watched over my gear with eagle eyes.

2.) No, replacing the seal isn't a big deal for Blad, but neither is an oil change on a BMW, it's just more expensive than you would think. I'm guessing a seal refurb on one back is probably $150 or so, but that's just a guess.

3.) Yes, The Super Wide is an architecturally perfect camera. No distortion, sharp as a tack. The drawback is, no tilt/shift, it is what it is. Often you will be cropping your square frame to rid yourself of unwanted stuff top and bottom. I bought the SW simply because I couldn't afford 30K to dive into the Sinar 4x5 world and it bought me a couple of years at which point I dropped twice that with Sinar. Sold all that last year for three grand, less than my Schneider 78mm Super Angulon sold for new. Oh well, it paid for itself a hundred times over, as did my 500C/M gear. I took a bath on the 203 FE stuff though.

Sep 07, 2013 at 12:25 AM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.3876 #18 · p.3876 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
My old ride, "Pacific Prowler" sold on the QT a few weeks ago. If I have my way, it will sell again in the very near future.

Does that mean the expensive wing-off corrosion repair you told us about was done, or is that something the new owner is going to have to deal with?

Mark

Sep 07, 2013 at 12:29 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3876 #19 · p.3876 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Lucked out yesterday and completed a 2 day project in just one (18 hour) day. So, this morning I headed to the hangar and put the Super Legend through it's paces for 2.5 hours. I love 877PC and it will always be part of the family, but there's a lot to like about my Buddy Darin's new creation. My first goal was to work the pattern until I could squeak those big Tundra tires on with barely a chirp. That took about 20 minutes. Then I began exploring the flaps, simply amazing. With just one notch one can slide down final at a stable 45 knots, play the nose on the horizon and be down and stopped in a couple of fuselage lengths. I lined up with a runway light, poured the cobs to it with one notch, and jumped off the runway long before I crossed the next light, so less than 75 feet by far. Another 20 minutes in the pattern and Wilson One arrivals were in order.

The pattern started to fill so I blasted out to the lake to run Glenn's and my favorite route. The air was incredible this morning, cool and solid as a rock. I decided to go do a little air work. Stalls in every configuration are non-events. The aircraft flies like a much heavier plane in a way, but unlike Super Cubs and Husky's, it is a two finger flyer. The Lyc 0233 is very smooth and responsive and the composite adjustable prop is a perfect match for it.

The Super Legend has new seats, leather stitched with lumbar supports in just the perfect location. I flew for 2.5 hours and could have gone twice that in complete comfort. That is one mod that I'm having the boys at Legend do on 7PC, a half an hour in my front seat and my back is screaming.

When I was playing around the lake I could just imagine skimming that glassy water with a set of Legends amphibs, what fun that will be. Today was so much fun, JR and I are going to do a carbon copy tomorrow morning. My Super Legend is going to be metallic black with silver side lightening bolts and a silver sunburst on the wings. The Garmin 696 in the center of the panel makes you grin when you think of trying to fold maps in a Cub so you could read them but not have them fly around the cabin. We've come a long way.

Sep 07, 2013 at 12:59 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3876 #20 · p.3876 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Don't know Mark, but I'd bet that it never was addressed. If I execute my plan, it would go to Chino for an extended stay and come back a show winner. I've always loved that airplane, and when it is polished, it's beautiful.I suppose it's possible that the new owner wouldn't sell it, but there's a number for everything in most cases. I'd like the 25 I buy to be brought to the standards that Rod Lewis' Mitchell was restored to, flawless. I can see Gunny grinning through the wind screen now.

Sep 07, 2013 at 01:09 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password