Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3874      
       3876              4242       4243       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Go4Long
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3875 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Got great news from Austin today, I'm credentialed for the USGP in November. I'm a little disappointed that I don't get to test my skills through a myriad of chain link, but I'll just have to readjust. Might have to weaken and get a 200-400 before then, darn that Beckman guy!

Congrats Jim. I've been offered them for the MotoGP race. Due to a controversial policy by Dorna (the governing body of MotoGP) to charge for Credentials issued to online publications I may have to shell out some coin for them unfortunately (less than a grandstand seat still since the publication would be footing most of the bill)...but I think it might just be worth it to get truly front row seats...just have to wait and see what the dates are for the race before I tell the publication if I will attend on their behalf or not.

*EDIT* Gah...caught off guard with the TOPP. Here's an oldie from Alliance 2011

Sep 05, 2013 at 02:36 AM
carrg1954
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3875 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hi
The present offering from adobe, is not really cloud based, you download the program(s) from the cloud, depending on what programs you select depends on how long the rather large files take to download, poor band width can see this be 2-3 hrs. The program(s) then run off line.
You do need to be on line when the program(s) phones home to the adobe mother ship monthly.
Regards

Sep 05, 2013 at 03:39 AM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.3875 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
They eventually force your hand by not supporting the raw files produced by the next generation cameras. Sooner or later we'll all have to be cloud based if we continue to update our gear.

For now, (and I realize things can change), as long as you have CS5, you can upgrade to a perpetual CS6 license that Adobe says they will continue to support "indefinitely". They claim they will continue to fix bugs, and they will continue updating ACR to open files from new cameras. But you won't get any ACR enhancements, those are reserved for the Cloud folks.

As far as forever being tied to CC in order to open your old files, I am pretty sure Adobe acknowledged that issue in the past few months, and they offered a solution. I just don't remember what it was, but I know they said they wouldn't leave people high and dry if they decided to quit the subscription. I suppose the issue is whether a PSD file created three years from now will still be editable by CS5 if you quit the subscription. I don't know.

Here is a link to the FAQ for the new $10/mo offer.
http://www.adobe.com/products/creativecloud/faq.html Scroll down to the "Photoshop photography program offer". It really does look like the price will be $10/mo forever, as long as you don't cancel. You also have to own at least CS3 to be eligible for the offer in the first place.

I think I'm finally going to make the leap to CC with this deal. It wasn't at all appealing before. (I'm still running CS5).

Mark

Edited on Sep 05, 2013 at 04:02 AM · View previous versions

Sep 05, 2013 at 03:55 AM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.3875 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

carrg1954 wrote:
Hi
The present offering from adobe, is not really cloud based, you download the program(s) from the cloud, depending on what programs you select depends on how long the rather large files take to download, poor band width can see this be 2-3 hrs. The program(s) then run off line.
You do need to be on line when the program(s) phones home to the adobe mother ship monthly.
Regards

If you're month-to-month, you can only use your software for 30 days without phoning home. If you have an annual subscription, even though you are being billed monthly, you can go up to 90 days without an internet connection.

Mark

Sep 05, 2013 at 03:58 AM
nrferguson
• • •
p.3875 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
By the way, is everyone aware of the new Adobe program to entice photographers into switching to the CC software? The way I understand it, you can get LR, PS, and BH for a $10/month payment, forever (this is not an introductory price), so long as you have PS CS3 or newer, you sign up before 12/17, and you don't let your membership lapse thereafter.

LR and PS for $10/month seems like a very good deal to me...

Typically, in the UK they're offering CC only to anyone with CS6 for £27.34 PCM (about 42 usd) for a one year introductory period - and then it goes up to 73.21 USD pcm _ welcome to Rip-off Britain, where everything costs twice what it does in the rest of the world for half the value!!!
Niall

Edited on Sep 05, 2013 at 08:05 AM · View previous versions

Sep 05, 2013 at 07:08 AM
Go4Long
• • •
p.3875 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

hmmm...I just double checked, since I have a PC and a mac, and it turns out that for that $10 a month I can have it activated on both my PC and my Mac...me thinks I'm going to have to go ahead with that.

Sep 05, 2013 at 08:36 AM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.3875 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

There's one thing I really like, and that some people might not know about, in the new CC edition.

With the standalone software installations like CS6, you can only install on two machines. With the new cloud-based software, you can install on as many machines as you like; but you must be signed in to your Adobe account in order to use the software and you can only be signed in on two computers.

This makes the whole thing much more convenient for people like me, who may use one or two machines nearly all the time but may need to use the software on one or two additional machines on occasion. All you need to do is sign out from one or both of the machine you regularly use, and then sign in on the machine you want to use this time, and Bob's your uncle.

Sep 05, 2013 at 01:50 PM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.3875 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

nrferguson wrote:
Typically, in the UK they're offering CC only to anyone with CS6 for £27.34 PCM (about 42 usd) for a one year introductory period - and then it goes up to 73.21 USD pcm _ welcome to Rip-off Britain, where everything costs twice what it does in the rest of the world for half the value!!!
Niall

Niall,

That is the pricing for the complete CC package - ie every product Adobe make.

I have paid single app pricing of £14.29 + VAT since CS6 came out.
I am waiting to hear if I now get LR5 as part of my package.

Mark

Sep 05, 2013 at 01:55 PM
cbrandt
• • •
p.3875 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

so in regards to Adobe .. they must of contracted with a huge SERVER organization w/ mirror sites to pull this off so there is 100% up time ......

I was thinking they'd get out of paying the big Software Companies for code to run on WIN 8 or new MAC's for example, but that's not true cuz many of the subscribers will be running newer computers ......

Is this sort of a Thin Client .. where all the programs are housed in servers in a distant far away land and you just password into them on any computer available ..

I believe they are looking at doing Thin Client more and more where I used to work .. thus eliminating desk top techs - viruses from folks downloading and installing HOME programs -- then there is that 1 license for 1000 pc's versus individual licenses to account for ....

secretary . nurse has a failure at her * work station * she just puts it aside and pulls another monitor - keyboard from the dept. supply room - plugs it in and sends a msg that her old monitor tag # is broken and someone someday comes by and picks it up...

Sep 05, 2013 at 03:05 PM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.3875 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Curtis,

Not really - you still download the programmes to your computer, it's just not as restrictive as it was before.

Sep 05, 2013 at 04:14 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Wrei
• • • •
p.3875 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I am just thinking and writing here, don't know for certain. But Adobe asked me to participate in a survey that was geared to PS/LR and the CC. I think the primary purpose for this is to eliminate version control by Adobe for all their software brands. They will have one version active at a time, which is the active software. When you open your computer, you will be notified there is an update. (I wonder if the upgrade downloads automatically, or if you have to approve it?) Of course this means they have to ensure their software is continually compatible backward.

This means they do not have to provide upgrades to previous versions for camera/lens changes or for software. I wonder how they plan to keep one Mac version if Mac comes out with a new operating system? I think that will drive them to maintain more than one current (active) version. Will this drive users to upgrade their operating systems too?

Sep 05, 2013 at 04:17 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3875 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I've been running CC for a few months now. Aside from the pricing, the only thing really awkward about it is that Adobe apparently keeps moving the executable on my iMac; when exporting files to PS from LR5 I regularly have to acknowledge a pop-up complaining that the application file has moved and would I like to re-attach?

Sep 05, 2013 at 04:44 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3875 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

What a life story...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/10286869/Wing-Commander-Kenneth-Wallis.html

Edited on Sep 05, 2013 at 04:54 PM · View previous versions

Sep 05, 2013 at 04:45 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.3875 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Ensuring that their software is compatible with different Apple and Windows operating systems is something they've already been doing for decades. But as you noted, now they only have to make sure that they're providing the same "CC" functionality to each OS.

This is hugely beneficial to them in terms of simplicity and work reduction. Say they used to support three versions of software, for five different operating systems... that's 15 codebases to maintain, update, and patch. Now, it's a single version of their stuff so they only have to deal with the OS variations... they'll get down to five codebases and reduce that particular part of their coding investment by 2/3.

Sep 05, 2013 at 04:48 PM
Wrei
• • • •
p.3875 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
Ensuring that their software is compatible with different Apple and Windows operating systems is something they've already been doing for decades. But as you noted, now they only have to make sure that they're providing the same "CC" functionality to each OS.

This is hugely beneficial to them in terms of simplicity and work reduction. Say they used to support three versions of software, for five different operating systems... that's 15 codebases to maintain, update, and patch. Now, it's a single version of their stuff so they only have to deal with the OS variations... they'll get down to five
...Show more

…and fewer employees.

One other thought…I am wondering about the integration of plug-ins? Will they keep up with Adobe?

Sep 05, 2013 at 05:31 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3875 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I think I'll run CS6 into the ground, then see what my options are. I have a pretty great behind the scenes deal with Adobe and I don't want to mess with it.

Sep 05, 2013 at 06:31 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.3875 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

FYI. November 9th

Sep 05, 2013 at 06:52 PM
futurshox
• • • •
p.3875 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
What a life story...

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/10286869/Wing-Commander-Kenneth-Wallis.html

I met him once, at a small fly-in at Seething. A perfect English gentleman.

Sep 05, 2013 at 07:26 PM
Jan-Arie
• • • •
p.3875 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

F16
Apache
Grippen
Mirage

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM lens    330mm    f/6.3    1/400s    50 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM lens    260mm    f/8.0    1/125s    50 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM lens    330mm    f/8.0    1/400s    50 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM lens    400mm    f/8.0    1/400s    100 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Sep 05, 2013 at 08:07 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3875 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

NightOwl Cat wrote:
FYI. November 9th

I see the Doolittle Raiders' final toast will be an 'invitation-only event'.

Sep 05, 2013 at 09:15 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password