1       2       3              3871      
       3873              4533       4534       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Glenn Watson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3872 #1 · p.3872 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

msalvetti wrote:
Doing well Glenn, thank you. Been reading along every day, but crazy busy. This spring our daughter graduated high school (our last one), so prom, graduation, parties, etc. Weird feeling. Now need to pay for another 4 years of college for her......yikes.

Glenn, your work out of Offutt has been awesome! I love every image. Been sharing them with some folks at work (Lockheed Martin is a major client of ours, so the F-22 and the Lightning were great to see together). And I can brag, "I know that guy".

Mark

Thats great Mark - my three girls are catching up with yours faster everyday. It was a big rush to fly with that Heritage flight and I'm glad people are sharing the images. After we recovered and shutdown i just sat in the seat of the Bonanza smiling and not saying anything for about 5 minutes till i could get my legs under me and walk - in my mind at least it was probably the single coolest thing i've accomplished with this whole photography thing. As always i was really excited to share the pictures here with all my friends i knew would appreciate them the most.

Glenn

edit for TOPP -

The real secret to flying with Raptors:

Glenn

Edited on Jul 27, 2014 at 01:06 AM · View previous versions

Jul 27, 2014 at 01:01 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3872 #2 · p.3872 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

That after the mission catharsis is something isn't it Glenn?! The three stages for an air to air photographer: the before the mission insanity, the during the mission intensity, and finally, the post mission intoxication. The whole thing is definitely addictive.

Jul 27, 2014 at 01:05 AM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
p.3872 #3 · p.3872 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hi JW:

Thats the truth. When its my flight and I planned everything and am in charge, the before insanity is usually minimal. But in the cases of these airshow flights, or quick hops trying to capture something when the goal of the sortie is something other than photos the insane pressure is definitely high. The most i've ever experienced with the Raptor flight - i was just reviewing my video footage of the flight and that 2 ship was together on the Bonanza for exactly 1 minute and 20 seconds - the time it took to do a single 360 degree turn. They both wanted speed - 175 knots...fyi, the A36 doesn't go 175 knots! The good news is it gains energy rapidly in a descent, so we joined up high with everything firewalled and began a single descending 360 and dropped them off at the edge of the airshow box for their airshow passes. what a rush!

Glenn

Jul 27, 2014 at 01:17 AM
astrobrian
• • •
p.3872 #4 · p.3872 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Had a mini version of that myself as well. An 8 ship formation flight for a memorial and just trying to get what I could as I could. The only half planned shot was the P-51 who kindly obliged me in joining up with us briefly after the flyover for a few bonus shots.

Jul 27, 2014 at 01:56 AM
astrobrian
• • •
p.3872 #5 · p.3872 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Ever get the feeling you're being watched?

Jul 27, 2014 at 02:07 AM
Go4Long
• • • •
p.3872 #6 · p.3872 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
BTW, Steven, your D810 images looked good. I have been so swamped that all I have had time to do is unbox it and set my custom functions. How do you like it so far? I was going to shoot a project with it last week, but I decided to stay with my existing workflow until I've had some time to explore it's capabilities.

I have no D800 to compare it to, so I'm not comparing it to what 90% of people are asking about how it relates to...but my initial impressions are very good. Focus is more snappy and accurate than even my D3s (I was playing with it a bit today tracking my toddler), the new group mode auto focus is cool (and definitely will be in use at Airshows), the shutter is ridiculously quiet (although I never had any complaints about the satisfying sound of the D3s shutter), and the files are a treat to work with so far.

I've been working like mad at my day job trying to earn myself the time off for Abbotsford, so I haven't been home much to really play with it. But tomorrow I should have some quality time with it.

My only two complaints so far are pretty minor. The first complaint has more to do with Adobe. The workflow right now is sub par at best. I have to use Adobe DNG converter to bring the files over to my computer, then import the new DNG's to lightroom.

The second complaint is I might need a new laptop just to handle the big files...my Macbook Pro from 2009 appears to be struggling a little bit...on the plus side though, our new iMac has 32gb of ram to chew through it.

Jul 27, 2014 at 02:12 AM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3872 #7 · p.3872 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Glenn Watson wrote:
Good stuff Stevez. Dont recall seeing any of those pics on here....how fun would it be to get the keys to a T-45 for an hour or two?

Thanks, Glenn. Yeah, I'd take an hour of pattern work in a T-45, any day.

I'm just in awe of your Ruff Stuff and Raptor images. Question for you: I've looked, but I can't find the A36's reflection in the Raptor's canopy. Can you see it in the D800 originals?

Jul 27, 2014 at 02:12 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3872 #8 · p.3872 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Nice work Brian! Glad to see you are keeping the rust off!

Jul 27, 2014 at 02:13 AM
Go4Long
• • • •
p.3872 #9 · p.3872 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
I'm just in awe of your Ruff Stuff and Raptor images. Question for you: I've looked, but I can't find the A36's reflection in the Raptor's canopy. Can you see it in the D800 originals?

Stealth Bonanza

Jul 27, 2014 at 02:14 AM
astrobrian
• • •
p.3872 #10 · p.3872 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Nice work Brian! Glad to see you are keeping the rust off!

Thanks Jim! I'm trying my best with the opportunities given. They're not quite as plentiful as they once were, but that just makes me cherish what I get that much more.

Jul 27, 2014 at 02:21 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3872 #11 · p.3872 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

You have told me exactly what I was hoping to hear Steven. The autofocus is what I was really hoping wasn't overstated by Nikon. Doesn't Adobe have the RAW converter for the 810 yet? Haven't messed with NX-2, but I would imagine it's one step above a virus like Canon's DPP.

I've been toying with getting to know Capture 1 better, just in case I go Phase One at some point. I've had a couple of people, who I respect tell me they feel the RAW conversion engine gives them considerably higher quality images as compared to Adobe. When I went to the P1 demo and shot those few shots out in a rainy parking lot, I downloaded the demo version of Capture 1 to convert them. I kind of felt like the program worked nicely and the end file was silky smooth. About once a month I get a 50% off offer on Capture 1, but I just haven't had time/motivation to click and buy it.

Looks like the first shoot with the D810 might be my friend's A/4. I don't think we'll shoot it A2A though, but some dusk shots with a little light painting might be cool.

Jul 27, 2014 at 02:25 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3872 #12 · p.3872 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Not nearly as heart pounding (unless one gets excited about invoicing, and I do!), one of Chandler and my projects from yesterday...................

Jul 27, 2014 at 02:28 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3872 #13 · p.3872 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

The GoPro does work well.....you have a thing for PVC don't you Buddy?

You're going to freak when I get the Ronin, perfect for your big open door!

Jul 27, 2014 at 02:32 AM
Go4Long
• • • •
p.3872 #14 · p.3872 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
You have told me exactly what I was hoping to hear Steven. The autofocus is what I was really hoping wasn't overstated by Nikon. Doesn't Adobe have the RAW converter for the 810 yet? Haven't messed with NX-2, but I would imagine it's one step above a virus like Canon's DPP.

I've been toying with getting to know Capture 1 better, just in case I go Phase One at some point. I've had a couple of people, who I respect tell me they feel the RAW conversion engine gives them considerably higher quality images as compared to Adobe. When I
...Show more

Yes, the DNG converter is what I've been using. It's still an extra step...and I hate taking 2 steps instead of 1...that's just me.

I've always just used lightroom, and I like the workflow on it, so I have no real desire to suddenly start learning a new process. LONG LIVE LIGHTROOM :P

Jul 27, 2014 at 02:51 AM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3872 #15 · p.3872 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Greetings from AirVenture 2014. Not sure how much I'll post from the road, but wait until I get home!

Jul 27, 2014 at 03:03 AM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3872 #16 · p.3872 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:

I've been toying with getting to know Capture 1 better, just in case I go Phase One at some point. I've had a couple of people, who I respect tell me they feel the RAW conversion engine gives them considerably higher quality images as compared to Adobe. When I
...Show more

Scuttlebutt around the web says that the latest Adobe candidate releases of ACR and DNG Converter that can handle D810 files are clearly inferior to the Nikon conversion software that comes with the camera; let's hope for better when Adobe gets around to a full release.

Jul 27, 2014 at 04:46 AM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3872 #17 · p.3872 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Spring has finally come to the high country: the tundra above tree line is greening up. Here's a Stereo-X pair of the back side of the Arapahoe Peaks west of Boulder. Frame grabs from UHD video from the Panny GH4. I was planning to give the D810 a workout, too, but I grabbed the wrong camera and ended up with the D800. Those bad boys look alike...

Jul 27, 2014 at 04:50 AM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
p.3872 #18 · p.3872 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
Thanks, Glenn. Yeah, I'd take an hour of pattern work in a T-45, any day.

Thanks buddy. Nope, no reflections whatsoever. Dont even want to know how much that canopy costs!

Looking close, i dont really see a point in any photo where any canopy surface is perpendicular to my ship.

Glenn

Jul 27, 2014 at 04:51 AM
Go4Long
• • • •
p.3872 #19 · p.3872 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Glenn Watson wrote:

Acemaker I

http://www.machpointoneaviation.com/img/s12/v184/p290960315.jpg

Glenn

Just noticed that these are the same guys that are coming to Abbotsford in two weeks.

Jul 27, 2014 at 06:55 AM
Jan-Arie
• • • •
p.3872 #20 · p.3872 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Italian AMX

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM +2.0x lens    600mm    f/9.0    1/640s    200 ISO    +0.7 EV  

Jul 27, 2014 at 08:19 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password