Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3866      
       3868              4276       4277       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3867 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hi Steven,

Great news! HQ Thursday will get rolling late morning on Thursday, and end when we get bored, as if. Keep me posted. Zim generally comes in the day before, as doesJay and Larry. Do what you can. Don't know what my shooting schedule is leading up to Thursday, but I typically head to the hangar early Thursday morning with coolers/drinks etc.

Aug 31, 2013 at 02:05 AM
Colin Giersberg
• • • •
p.3867 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Go4Long wrote:
Indeed. The FP-7's, CP 4106 and 4107, run as a married pair (while technically they can run separately they don't), they used to always travel with the CP 3084 (a GP38 painted in the same livery) with them because, well, they break down a lot...but starting this year they have been rockin it solo. They're only used for Royal Canadian Pacific trips. Which are usually two or three day excursions around the loop from Calgary to Lethbridge to Golden then through the mountains via the Spiral Tunnels. Five star dining on board and the whole nine yards.

If you happen to
...Show more

Thanks for the reply. I assume that the FP7's have the 567 series engines. At 60+ years old, I guess I wouldn't run too well if I had worked as hard as those engines have.

Aug 31, 2013 at 02:06 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3867 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Rodolfo,

Had I been commissioned for your assignment, I probably would have approached it with an editorial style. The look I would have been aiming for, as Steven alluded to, would have been strong, but warm. Casual, but not too casual, and I would have used key lighting with a little fill bounce to sculpt your face and take advantage of the character that resides there.

All easy characteristics to delineate, not so easy to bring to digits sometimes. Typically these assignments really challenge a photographer, because unless the subject is one of those model types who can assume the pose when needed, it is up the the shooter to both bring those characteristics out in the subject, and have his or her lighting and compositional ducks lined up, simultaneously. Tall order for sure.

Here is a good example. I had 3 minutes with this gentleman. Key image in an annual report. Very high horsepower, didn't want to be in front of a camera that morning. 3 minutes to get to know him, warm him to whatever degree I might, compose, light, shoot and shake his hand on the way out. That's why these types of assignments run 2 to 3 grand for 3 minutes.

Aug 31, 2013 at 02:47 AM
Go4Long
• • •
p.3867 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Yes jim, that is pretty much a perfect example of what I would expect to see.

Colin Giersberg wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I assume that the FP7's have the 567 series engines. At 60+ years old, I guess I wouldn't run too well if I had worked as hard as those engines have.

Upon further digging, what I've always thought were FP7's are actually FP9's with the 567C power plant...My mistake. Either way, at over 50 years old they've definitely served their sentence :P

We do also VERY occasionally run a 4-6-4 H1b Hudson that first entered service in 1930, if you think the EMD's look like they're well maintained you should see the inside of the Empress...you could eat off the floor in it. I was down in our ogden shops for training and it was sitting inside and I managed to twist enough arms to get to climb into the cab.

Aug 31, 2013 at 03:19 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3867 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

The subject liked it, lamented that he was the age he was, but everyone seemed very pleased. Another bullet dodged in a 32 year firefight I think my stomach was in a knot for days in anticipation of the 3 minutes. I've found that anxiety is productive, because it causes you to live out, in a virtual sense, every possible way a shoot can go south. In most cases a shoot will never go that far south in that many ways (in most cases) so you are so over prepared that it's over before you know it. And no, the knots don't lessen over the years with experience, because the folks who are your subjects just keep getting higher up the food chain so the pressure just continues to mount.

Aug 31, 2013 at 03:38 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3867 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Under the heading of, there's always something cooking at HQ, there's a possibility of a B25 mission the evening of HQ Thursday. Subjects would be corporate stuff, Lear 60, TBM 850, Citation XL, MU2. I'll probably just take a couple of shooters with me, pm me if you feel drawn to those subjects.

Aug 31, 2013 at 03:45 AM
Jeff W.
• • •
p.3867 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

We've been enjoying some wonderful sunsets the past few weeks. Late evening departure from KPHX.

Aug 31, 2013 at 05:26 AM
MMcGrath
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3867 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Last weekend I took a trip onboard BA's new Airbus A380 from London to Frankfurt & back.

Parked at the gate at LHR

Forward stairs to the upper deck. The BA speedmarque logo on the bulkhead is a nice touch.

Seat 2K - BA FIRST

A380 flight deck after arriving back at London Heathrow.

Aug 31, 2013 at 09:23 AM
Tim Ashton
• • • •
p.3867 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
Want to see what a 377 megawatt solar generating station looks like in a 360-degree virtual tour?

http://www.ivanpahsolar.com/virtualtour/

Google Maps:

http://goo.gl/maps/nZxCJ

That gentlemen is an example of the best of the US economy at work
Simply amazing
Tim

Aug 31, 2013 at 10:34 AM
Wrei
• • • •
p.3867 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

From out of the smoke (Hey, it seems a little slow this morning!)

Aug 31, 2013 at 03:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jeff W.
• • •
p.3867 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

A needed monsoon storm approaches downtown Phoenix.

Aug 31, 2013 at 03:53 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3867 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Nice images Guys!

Aug 31, 2013 at 04:03 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.3867 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Had I been commissioned for your assignment, I probably would have approached it with an editorial style. The look I would have been aiming for, as Steven alluded to, would have been strong, but warm. Casual, but not too casual, and I would have used key lighting with a little fill bounce to sculpt your face and take advantage of the character that resides there.

Had I the stature (or budget) of the gentleman so ably captured in your post, I'd have been honored to commission you, my friend. In this case, we were limited by time, circumstance, the photographer's skill, and the subject's appearance.

Steven's right in that neither one is a "great" result, of course, and I'm always happy to hear candid feedback... I happen to agree completely in both cases. I'm going to have to do better, obviously, both in front of and behind the camera. But for that one event, it'll have to do.

Aug 31, 2013 at 04:30 PM
DanNehmer
• •
p.3867 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jeff,

Love the storm over Phoenix, very nice photo.

Dan

Aug 31, 2013 at 06:35 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3867 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Wish we were going to be in geographic proximity to one another Rodolfo. Budget wouldn't be a consideration, and "stature" is a very subjective thing. I'd be happy to capture a great image of an international mogul such as yourself!

Aug 31, 2013 at 06:48 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3867 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Razor 17 invited me down for a little get together at Lancaster airport today, and I would have liked to taken him up on it. When I finished my early morning assignment, and then a quick meeting after, the mercury was rapidly headed to the expected 106 degrees, and I began rapidly losing the desire to be outside.

Thanks Lynn, we'll do it another time.

Aug 31, 2013 at 06:52 PM
pete langlois

p.3867 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Mike Goulian at the New England All Star Airshow at Plymouth Municipal Airport, Plymouth, MA

Aug 31, 2013 at 08:00 PM
pete langlois

p.3867 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Scott "Scooter" Yoak's P-51D Quick Silver at the New England All Star Airshow

Aug 31, 2013 at 08:04 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3867 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Welcome Pete!

Aug 31, 2013 at 08:12 PM
Jan-Arie
• • • •
p.3867 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

B17
P47G
Spitfire Mk 1A
Gloster Gladiator

B17 Sally B

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM lens    330mm    f/11.0    1/250s    50 ISO    0.0 EV  

P47G

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM lens    275mm    f/10.0    1/80s    50 ISO    0.0 EV  

Spitfire Mk 1 A

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM lens    400mm    f/16.0    1/125s    50 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Spitfire Mk 1A

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM lens    285mm    f/10.0    1/125s    50 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Gloster Gladiator

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM lens    285mm    f/9.0    1/125s    50 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Aug 31, 2013 at 08:56 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password