FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3846      
       3848              4531       4532       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevezzzz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3847 #1 · p.3847 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Wow, that didn't take long: your support has already pushed 'Bow Watch' over the 1000 point threshold and into the light, as it were. That's the power of social media: thanks to all who voted!

Jul 08, 2014 at 11:11 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3847 #2 · p.3847 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Arizona photographer Mike Olbinski captures

" target="_blank">time lapse footage
of a small wildfire blowing up into a real conflagration.

Jul 08, 2014 at 11:22 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3847 #3 · p.3847 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I've published a couple more test reels of Garmin VIRB Elite footage on my website.

This one shows me stopping the prop and doing some engine-off soaring in the new 15-meter Pipistrel Sinus Flex, followed by my first no-engine landing at KBDU. Note the wing flex and how it makes the cockpit seem like it's moving around in the frame.

The other clip shows a late afternoon takeoff and a some crepuscular rays over Boulder as yesterday's cold front moved in. Landing in a crosswind blowing 21G28 in the long-wing Sinus is a bit of a challenge!

http://www.stevezphoto.us/virbtest/h3b93cb96#h3b93cb96
http://www.stevezphoto.us/virbtest/hacfa26e#hacfa26e

Edited on Jul 09, 2014 at 05:14 AM · View previous versions

Jul 08, 2014 at 11:47 PM
futurshox
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3847 #4 · p.3847 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

So here's something completely different for y'all. Back in March I paid a visit to the Jet Age Museum which recently opened at Gloucester Airport. It's only a stone's throw from the old Brockworth Airfield where Gloster Aircraft Company was based. So the museum features their products pretty heavily.

They also had this display case about Russell Adams, who was a leading aviation photographer in the 50s and 60s. They have his old kit here. Boys and girls, this is how it used to be done...

If you want to see more of his work, check this out: http://www.amazon.com/Jet-Age-Photographer-Aviation-Photography/dp/0750940093# I have a copy; lots of good stuff inside.

Check out the photos on the walls here. Vertical jets! Dissimilar formations!

Leather flying helmet and goggles

He designed his own camera and had it built in the company workshops, to fit in the cockpit of a jet.

Jul 09, 2014 at 01:52 AM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.3847 #5 · p.3847 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

MMcGrath wrote:
Did you go to see the Tour de France in London yesterday?

We did make the attempt, and found a nice spot where both the kids and the camera would get a great view; but we had to bail before the peloton arrived at our location: too many other people wanted to be right behind us, and it was getting very squishy. Too good a spot, I guess.

The time was well-spent in any case. I think the kids' minds are reeling from the firehose of history we've thrown at them this week.

Jul 09, 2014 at 07:05 AM
carrg1954
• • •
p.3847 #6 · p.3847 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

https://stevezimmermann.see.me/post/1078519?tab=image
done, good luck

Jul 09, 2014 at 08:11 AM
Razor17
• •
p.3847 #7 · p.3847 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
My photo, "Bow Watch" is in the running to be displayed 200' high in Times Sqaure. You can enhance my chances by clicking through the link below and either 'Like' the work, or purchase a T-shirt or postcard. Thanks in advance...

https://stevezimmermann.see.me/post/1078519?tab=image

Done, good luck...

Jul 09, 2014 at 12:36 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3847 #8 · p.3847 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jan-Arie wrote:
Mmm those Brazilians are not laughing at the moment 0-5 for Germany in the first half of the game

Oof, that was a brutal result.

http://on.ft.com/1jdH2CK

Jul 09, 2014 at 12:37 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3847 #9 · p.3847 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

FlyingPhotog wrote:
I'm told that because the Fireworks Drone driver violated the USGC's exclusion zone, he's facing $40K in fines and 5-10 yrs in jail...

Bet he didn't see that one coming...

Wait, the Coast Guard now claims jurisdiction over the airspace above waterways? The FAA won't stand still for that, I bet. I see a long bout of legal wrangling over this one: the boom in multi-rotor 'copters is creating a regulatory nightmare and it will take a long time to sort out.

And just in case it was needed, here's a reminder that a Phantom is essentially a flying Cuisinart with no safety interlocks, and that these things warrant an operators' extreme caution when flown in the vicinity of other people. You can bet I have a newfound respect for the dangers.

No, it wasn't a case of me snatching it out of the air at the end of a flight; and, yes, that's my blood on the fuselage. I'll share the whole sorry tale via PM if you want to hear it. The short version: think before you act. Also: automation can be a two-edged sword.

Jul 09, 2014 at 01:41 PM
Tim Adams
• • • •
p.3847 #10 · p.3847 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Some interesting stuff has just come up for sale, Battle of Britain collection, and this P-51.

http://www.platinumfighters.com/#!p-51d-n38227/c132k

Price is too steep. 1.5, then you have to spend a boat load of money to restore it.

Jul 09, 2014 at 03:04 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jeff W.
• • • •
p.3847 #11 · p.3847 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
And just in case it was needed, here's a reminder that a Phantom is essentially a flying Cuisinart with no safety interlocks, and that these things warrant an operators' extreme caution when flown in the vicinity of other people. You can bet I have a newfound respect for the dangers.

No, it wasn't a case of me snatching it out of the air at the end of a flight; and, yes, that's my blood on the fuselage. I'll share the whole sorry tale via PM if you want to hear it. The short version: think before you act. Also: automation
...Show more

Looks like the UAV took a bite of of you and you took a bite of of it. That rotor blade had to hit you hard to incur that damage. Med quickly Steve

Jul 09, 2014 at 03:05 PM
Bill Gass
• • • •
p.3847 #12 · p.3847 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Tim Adams wrote:
Some interesting stuff has just come up for sale, Battle of Britain collection, and this P-51.

Price is too steep. 1.5, then you have to spend a boat load of money to restore it.

Be kool to buy that and a couple of 109's, even if they just sat there.

Jul 09, 2014 at 03:17 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3847 #13 · p.3847 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I just received a package from 42º S. containing comp copies of the official commemorative book published to record the 2014 Warbirds Over Wanaka International Airshow. Author Jill Herron asked us, the book photographers, to send her a dozen of our best shots. In the end she used nearly forty of my images, including the title page shot you see in the photo below; Jill even even included another photographer's shot of me in my orange safety vest, chimping, after a photo pass by one of the performers. The other principal book photographers are Gavin Conroy, Philip Makanna, Glenn Alderton and Geoff Soper: pretty good company, I'd say.

Mine is the inside title shot: the A2A is Gavin Conroy's

Edited on Jul 09, 2014 at 05:02 PM · View previous versions

Jul 09, 2014 at 04:25 PM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.3847 #14 · p.3847 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
I just received a package from 42º S. containing comp copies of the official commemorative book published to record the 2014 Warbirds Over Wanaka International Airshow. Author Jill Herron asked us, the book photographers, to send her a dozen of our best shots. In the end she used nearly forty of my images, including the title page shot you see in the photo below; Jill even even included another photographer's shot of me in my orange safety vest, chimping, after a photo pass by one of the performers. The other principal book photographers are Gavin Conroy, Philip Makanna, Glenn Alderton
...Show more

Very well done Steve. Your images are truly deserving of such notice. I'd say Messrs. Conroy, Makanna, Alderton and Soper feel equally honored to rub shoulders with a photographer of your talent. Excellent work as usual

Jul 09, 2014 at 04:44 PM
Shaggy Wolf
• • •
p.3847 #15 · p.3847 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I don't see this on the last couple of pages, so hopefully it hasn't been posted before:

A quick little video by the Thunderbird's official photographer. What an awesome job.

Jul 09, 2014 at 04:55 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3847 #16 · p.3847 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jeff W. wrote:
Looks like the UAV took a bite of of you and you took a bite of of it. That rotor blade had to hit you hard to incur that damage. Med quickly Steve

The rotor blade had already shattered before the Phantom took its pound of flesh out of me, Geoff. I don't know which bits bit me, if you catch my meaning, but I doubt very much it was the broken blade or I'd look a lot worse than I do already.

Jul 09, 2014 at 04:59 PM
Jan-Arie
• • • •
p.3847 #17 · p.3847 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Tim Adams wrote:

Movie clip of the same aircraft

Jul 09, 2014 at 05:46 PM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3847 #18 · p.3847 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Nicely done with the NZ book Zim! Sorry your quad turned on you...

Jul 09, 2014 at 07:31 PM
nrferguson
• • • •
p.3847 #19 · p.3847 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

next week is Farnborough International 2014 and they have started practicing. As I came up the M3 from Southampton today I saw the F-16 leaving and just caught the end of the Red Arrows practice. The big question is whether the F-35B will be back in the air for Farnborough and RIAT. 5hrs ago the UK Defence Minister was saying doubtful will make RIAT but may make Farnborough.
http://uk.reuters.com/article/2014/07/09/uk-lockheed-fighter-idUKKBN0FE1P620140709
and
http://www.defensenews.com/article/20140708/DEFREG02/307080026/US-Marine-F-35Bs-Could-Make-Airshows-Even-UK-Jets-Do-Not

Jul 09, 2014 at 07:37 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3847 #20 · p.3847 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Well done Zim!

Phantom/Piraña sure can get you.

That fireworks guy is going to be very busy for a very long time. I doubt JR would have enjoy the legal battle that that fellow is facing. I would guess that he can't afford to fight it, so "off to prison he must go, he must go, he must go....." .

Like I said, I had all these creative ideas prior to launching mine. Once it left the ground all I could see was liability. The average photographer with ten bucks in his or her pocket and assets totaling a grand or two, doesn't have to sweat liability, because no lawyer will go after them if there isn't a deep pocket in there somewhere, but the Feds don't care about that. I'd guess that they are looking for an example as well, to stem the tide to some degree. Not looking good for walking away from that deal.

Jul 09, 2014 at 07:49 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password