Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3822      
       3824              4132       4133       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

pburke
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3823 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

MustangsX2 wrote:
The tallest point at the end of the tunnel image is Clouds Rest. It can also be seen to the right Half Dome in the image from Glacier Point. If you ever want a challenging day hike with spectacular views of ALL of Yosemite, that is the place to go. You can look down on Half Dome from there. Like Half Dome, you must obey the weather when thinking about going up there as the top is extremely narrow and the falls are fatal. My 11 yr old son and I did the hike one day, about 15 miles
...Show more

The top itself of Clouds Rest isn't all too narrow, just a short spot to get there is a little narrow. On top is enough space for a group of 8 or so to spend the night

from August 1990

this one shows Tenaya Lake in the distance - image center shows Olmsted Point, a popular lookout on the Tioga road where most people stop to take a look at Half Dome.

The view from Clouds rest is among the best in the entire Sierra, far better than the view from Half Dome (because you don't see Half Dome when you stand on top of it)

Aug 01, 2013 at 06:06 PM
astrobrian
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3823 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Awesome views! Betting that is something else to open a tent to see in the morning

Aug 01, 2013 at 06:48 PM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.3823 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Help!

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1231175

Aug 01, 2013 at 07:05 PM
Jeff W.
• • •
p.3823 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Early morning monochrome - Qantas A380 on final into LAX...

G'Day Lalaland

Edited on Aug 02, 2013 at 05:53 AM · View previous versions

Aug 01, 2013 at 07:28 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3823 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Last night around 11:30 Chandler came to me and asked if we could get up early and watch the sun rise from the Cub. A little calculation put wake up time at about 5 to make sure we were in place at sunrise. The only appropriate response to a request like that is...."Sure!"

Lo and behold, the deep tones of my Buddy Bryan Martin greeted us as we taxied out, he was just opening the tower. We had 20 minutes to actual sunrise. After a slow motion rendition of the Top Gun tower buzz, we headed north to watch the day begin...............

Aug 01, 2013 at 07:33 PM
pburke
• • •
p.3823 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

astrobrian wrote:
Awesome views! Betting that is something else to open a tent to see in the morning

what tent? cowboy camping is the way to go up there

Aug 01, 2013 at 08:08 PM
Jeff W.
• • •
p.3823 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Last night around 11:30 Chandler came to me and asked if we could get up early and watch the sun rise from the Cub. A little calculation put wake up time at about 5 to make sure we were in place at sunrise. The only appropriate response to a request like that is...."Sure!"

Lo and behold, the deep tones of my Buddy Bryan Martin greeted us as we taxied out, he was just opening the tower. We had 20 minutes to actual sunrise. After a slow motion rendition of the Top Gun tower buzz, we headed north to watch the day
...Show more

Very nice Jim. If I was younger, I'd be submitting my application to be one of your grandkids. Way to go papa! While I've never been to your part of Texas, the morning light you enjoy is amongst the best.

Aug 01, 2013 at 08:12 PM
gerov
• • • • •
p.3823 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jim,
Absolutely priceless. Your grandchildren are incredibly fortunate!

I tip my hat in admiration.

Gero

And ditto on what Jeff said

Aug 01, 2013 at 08:23 PM
Wrei
• • • •
p.3823 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

What fun Jim!

Aug 01, 2013 at 08:33 PM
Wrei
• • • •
p.3823 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Enroute to Yosemite during my USAF years, we pulled the Jeep over to a state run campsite. There was a latrine with a shower. It was late February, and we simply threw our sleeping bags on the ground by the Jeep. Woke up the next morning, began brushing our teeth at a nearby water faucet. A truck with a cab-over camper parked during the night. The door opened and a very tall beautiful blond lady came out, stretching, wearing an unbuttoned mans shirt and bikini bottoms. (Did I mention the three of us were 19-21 years old?) Our brushing stopped as she walked by, smiled and said good morning...we began gagging on the toothpaste.

Without speaking, we continued brushing our teeth at that faucet, looking at the latrine. I guess we were waiting for a return visit. After about 10 minutes of brushing, the door on the camper opened. A 300+ pound, very hairy bearded guy squeezed out the door, minus a shirt. Before he took 10 steps from the camper door, the Jeep was speeding to Yosemite. California, nice place to visit.

Edited on Aug 01, 2013 at 08:53 PM · View previous versions

Aug 01, 2013 at 08:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Razor17
• •
p.3823 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Those are really nice Jim, we did have a keeper this morning...

Lynn

Aug 01, 2013 at 08:50 PM
nickjohnson
• • •
p.3823 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Priceless indeed Jim, I'm sure that is a lifetime memory for both of you.
Actually saw a Cub for the first time last Saturday.

Aug 01, 2013 at 09:03 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3823 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks Guys. Definitely a sunrise to remember. We've got hot and hazy now with the days topping out in the low hundreds. This morning was pretty hazy, but smooth as glass. We were up for about 1.5 and Chandler flew the Cub for most of that. I coached him on climbs, descents, coordinated turns, he took to it like a duck to a June bug. This is the first time he really "flew" the airplane. When Bryan cleared us for a low approach Chandler popped on the intercom and said, "Wait, Papa! You're not expecting me to land this are you?!" I told him that we'd save that lesson for another day.

Couldn't help remembering the last sunrise circuit around the lakes, it was with Glenn. I envisioned him watching us with a big grin, leaning back and saying, "Remarkable!"

Aug 01, 2013 at 09:21 PM
astrobrian
• • •
p.3823 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Great way to start off a day Jim! Thanks for sharing that, it put a smile on my face

Aug 01, 2013 at 10:07 PM
chas
• • •
p.3823 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Wrei, that's why they call it the Greatest show on Turf!

Aug 01, 2013 at 11:17 PM
Angry
• • •
p.3823 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jeff W. wrote:
Very nice Jim. If I was younger, I'd be submitting my application to be one of your grandkids. Way to go papa! While I've never been to your part of Texas, the morning light you enjoy is amongst the best.

Sorry jeff, Ive already asked to be adopted,.....funny no reply to that request..
But in the event that jim does have any openeings Im sure it will be alphabetical order....
Alan Alexander Anderson.....beats Jeff Welker

ROFL...
Please note Jim I have an inexhaustable supply of crumble bars..

Al

Aug 02, 2013 at 12:35 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3823 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Well that does put you ahead of the game Al!

Aug 02, 2013 at 12:53 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3823 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Dear Nick,

A Cub is an amazing little airplane. I have never taken a "high and fast" pilot for a ride that they weren't absolutely in love with flight again upon our return. They aren't for long trips, unless you have lots of time, but for the pure joy of low and slow, there's nothing quite like one. The Legend flies so much better than a vintage Cub it's like night and day. Another plus is you aren't worrying about what might be going on in that 70/80 year old tubing. The airfoil on a Legend is different and it rides the air in a much more stable manner. The boys in Sulphur Springs got that airplane right.

Chandler and I rolled over 332 hours on ours this morning. Lot's of memories packed into that little yellow airplane, with many more to come.

Aug 02, 2013 at 01:16 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3823 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Funny how a mind works. We were up there suspended in God's creation this morning with a view few had the time, or privilege to access. All the different aircraft I've been thinking about lately rambled through my thoughts, and wonderful as any of them will be if and when we have them, there, in that moment, my joy meter was pegged. Wouldn't have been any more enjoyable in a shiny Mustang, in fact, probably would have been less in some ways. Perspective, it's a rare and wondrous thing, to be happy and at peace right where God has placed you at the moment is a feeling that I wish for everyone. Life today has a tendency to make those moments a bit elusive.

Aug 02, 2013 at 01:28 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3823 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Another facet of the Legend that I love, is the fact that both doors fold down and both windows latch up. Vintage Cubs, and the "Top Cub" design from out in the northwest, only open on one side. Lady Jo and Glenn will tell you, it's a view!

Aug 02, 2013 at 01:41 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password