FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3813      
       3815              4532       4533       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Ryan Harris
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3814 #1 · p.3814 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Here is a link to the 2011 incident that prompted bringing McWherter back into the team. The altitude bust (which was more than just a bust, it was at the least almost the #4 jet into the ground) occurs towards the end of the video. I believe a knock it off to the entire routine was called after they broke formation.

Jun 05, 2014 at 04:31 PM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
p.3814 #2 · p.3814 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

man he botched that one up bigtime! scary stuff as a wingman.

Jun 05, 2014 at 04:38 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3814 #3 · p.3814 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

That incident was just the final straw. If I recall, there were other issues as well. Here is CMDR Koss' statement when he resigned:

"I performed a maneuver that had an unacceptably low minimum altitude, Cmdr. Koss said in a statement. "This maneuver, combined with other instances of not meeting the airborne standard that makes the Blue Angels the exceptional organization that it is, led to my decision to step down."

Mark

Jun 05, 2014 at 04:44 PM
Wrei
• • • •
p.3814 #4 · p.3814 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

OK guys. Having spent 20 years in the military and 40+ years in civilian employment, and there's not any difference. I saw it in both places. The only observation I will make is it occurs more often higher up the food chain. My observations include retail sales, machine shops, Atlantic Richfield, Boeing, GE, Loral/Lockheed Martin, NASA, and Oceanneering.

Edit: Should be 30+ years in civilian employment, sorry.

Edited on Jun 05, 2014 at 06:44 PM · View previous versions

Jun 05, 2014 at 05:45 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3814 #5 · p.3814 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Sad, but true Wrei. I'm going to refrain from launching into what is going on this week with our military, and the SNL skit that is our current administration. November..................!

Jun 05, 2014 at 05:58 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3814 #6 · p.3814 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I got out last evening and flew through sunset while a monster line of T-storms ripped through south and east of Denver. Here's a stereo-X pair of the storm clouds. Downtown Denver is barely visible below the base of the storm.

The second image is a shot of the ramp at KEIK a few minutes earlier, just before sunset.

The third one is a plowed field with what I take to be some kind of wellhead catching the last rays of the sun.

Last is KEIK as the runway lights take hold; it was seriously dark by that point.

Jun 05, 2014 at 06:55 PM
Jan-Arie
• • • •
p.3814 #7 · p.3814 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

very cool that last one

Jun 05, 2014 at 09:31 PM
Razor17
• •
p.3814 #8 · p.3814 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Very nice Steve, looking at Foreflight right now, there is a nader going to pass just South of Erie and is between the storms over Denver. Are you based there?

Lynn

Jun 05, 2014 at 11:01 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3814 #9 · p.3814 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

This has to be one of the guys you have photographed Jeff............

http://www.flyingmag.com/technique/accidents/harrier-jet-crashes-california-neighborhood?cmpid=enews060514&spPodID=030&spMailingID=20943382&spUserID=NTY3MzA4Nzg1OTgS1&spJobID=340289944&spReportId=MzQwMjg5OTQ0S0

Jun 06, 2014 at 12:35 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3814 #10 · p.3814 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Zim is that all D800 work? Love the image of your home base at dusk. Well love all of them, but that one is especially nice.

Jun 06, 2014 at 12:37 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3814 #11 · p.3814 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Does the city own your airport Steve? KTKI is experiencing a bit of governmental over reach (what a surprise). Every day we have some new regulation imposed by the city. I used to welcome all the airport maintenance people into the hangar and my office, but I'm backing off of that warm and fuzzy approach because I'm getting the feeling that they are running back to mgmnt. and tattling, and mgmnt. is all to happy to issue new rounds of edicts. We're all getting pretty tired of it, we understand security and safe operations, but our public servants have forgotten from whence the golden egg emanates.

JR and I are seriously considering revamping our investment strategy at McKinney in light of what we are seeing. There are a number of airports that would canonize and shine the shoes of investors willing to bring five or six million dollars to their field, not including aircraft. The bloom is not off the rose yet, but it's definitely wilting.

Jun 06, 2014 at 01:38 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3814 #12 · p.3814 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Spent half the week shooting in San Antonio, kind of out north west into the beginnings of the Hill Country. I love that whole area from San Antonio west and north all the way up to west of Austin. The rolling terrain, oaks and bristlecone pines, the vistas and the laid back atmosphere really appeal to me. Every once in a while you get a whif of someone burning pinion wood, just a great environment to shoot in. Happy to say that I have a half dozen new projects in those areas, with more in the pipeline for completion.

Jun 06, 2014 at 01:50 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3814 #13 · p.3814 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

yipDog wrote:
Jim...When you get spare time feel free to ping me about the video side of the world. Tis how I make my living and I've been doing more and more aviation related shoots. Learned a lot by trial and error and would be happy to share!

Rob, knowing what I'm thinking about in the video area, I'd like your insight. Is there a fixed lens camcorder that you would suggest as part of the equipment list? Maybe they are all too limited. I want something that has the option of a frame rate that allows great slow motion in post. I'd like 4K capability, but if there are other factors that are more important to the end product, I could let that go. I know that as you step up, audio and codec specs improve. I've looked at Canon, Sony, JVC and Panasonic, all of which has added to my confusion.

Jun 06, 2014 at 02:03 AM
JakeB17
• •
p.3814 #14 · p.3814 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Is there a fixed lens camcorder that you would suggest as part of the equipment list? Maybe they are all too limited. I want something that has the option of a frame rate that allows great slow motion in post. I'd like 4K capability, but if there are other factors that are more important to the end product, I could let that go.

Fixed lens camcorders, in this age of digital cinema cameras, really only come into play when you absolutely need a doc style friendly camera with a sensor purposefully small to allow for the operator to pull focus, while at the same time having a crazy zoom range and built in audio.

They have major downsides in terms of IQ though, from poor color rendering to nonexistent depth of field control. You really only want one if you have zero control of the situation. Think news gathering. Anything else and there are far better compromises to be had.

I'm not really sure what you're using this for specifically, but 4k and slow motion don't often coincide. There aren't too many options with both, especially past 60fps. The Red epic and dragon are pretty much the only two cameras besides the phantom series that can handle 4k raw past 60fps without compromise. 4K prores is a different ball game though. The C500 can do 120fps in 4k.

But really, why do you need 4k? The most popular digital cinema camera in Hollywood right now, which I work with daily, the Arri Alexa, only shoots 2.8k and I bet you can't tell the difference between that and 6k dragon footage on a projected theater screen. Good 2k still beats bad 4k. Just look at the issues with the 4k Blackmagic camera.

If I were you I'd prioritize other things like color rendering, raw ability, slow motion capability, etc way ahead of the magic buzzword "4k", and see how that changes what cameras you may be considering.

Jun 06, 2014 at 05:38 AM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3814 #15 · p.3814 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Zim is that all D800 work? Love the image of your home base at dusk. Well love all of them, but that one is especially nice.

Yes, Jim: all from the D800 with the 24-120 f/4. It's no 24-70 f/2.8, but the extra reach is nice when you only want to carry one body and one lens. I hadn't shot with the D800 in several months; I'd almost forgotten what a spectacular tool it is.

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Does the city own your airport Steve? KTKI is experiencing a bit of governmental over reach...

Yes, Jim: KEIK is owned by the town of Erie. They've been mostly neglectful of this little gem of an airport, so close to Denver, a benign neglect in many ways. Federal money was used to improve the taxiway and upgrade the lighting in recent years so that, absent a Mayor Daley-style move the airport is safe from development pressure (of which there is plenty), but OTOH they did close our crosswind runway a while back.

Edited on Jun 06, 2014 at 10:57 AM · View previous versions

Jun 06, 2014 at 06:04 AM
Jan-Arie
• • • •
p.3814 #16 · p.3814 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Soldiers, Sailors and Airmen of the Allied Expeditionary Force! You are about to embark upon a great crusade, toward which we have striven these many months. The eyes of the world are upon you. The hopes and prayers of liberty loving people everywhere march with you. In company with our brave Allies and brothers in arms on other fronts, you will bring about the destruction of the German war machine, the elimination of Nazi tyranny over the oppressed peoples of Europe, and security for ourselves in a free world.

Your task will not be an easy one. Your enemy is well trained, well equipped and battle hardened, he will fight savagely.
But this is the year 1944! Much has happened since the Nazi triumphs of 1940-41. The United Nations have inflicted upon the Germans great defeats, in open battle, man to man. Our air offensive has seriously reduced their strength in the air and their capacity to wage war on the ground. Our home fronts have given us an overwhelming superiority in weapons and munitions of war, and placed at our disposal great reserves of trained fighting men. The tide has turned! The free men of the world are marching together to victory!

I have full confidence in your courage, devotion to duty and skill in battle. We will accept nothing less than full victory!

Good Luck! And let us all beseech the blessings of Almighty God upon this great and noble undertaking.

-- Gen. Dwight D. Eisenhower

Remember and take noting for granted

Canon EOS-1D Mark II    100.0-400.0 mm lens    400mm    f/8.0    1/320s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jun 06, 2014 at 07:32 AM
Donald Gray
• • • •
p.3814 #17 · p.3814 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I was in Yeovil this morning and stopped by the War Memorial to give a silen 'Thank You' and to remember them. I used my phone to take a photo of the names when a small child sat down by the two roses. I though: How apt! Those guys died to give her the gift of freedom.

Jun 06, 2014 at 12:47 PM
Donald Gray
• • • •
p.3814 #18 · p.3814 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

My tribute to today's remembrance: LEST WE FORGET

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old;
Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.
At the going down of the sun and in the morning
We will remember them."

I did remember them ...

-------------------------------

On 6th June 2004, I was there to witness Col Wilder USAF unveil a plaque

Two sea cadets were guard of honour to the plaque.

After the civic ceremony Col Wilder paid a visit to my Lodge.

Jun 06, 2014 at 01:01 PM
MrPlastic
• •
p.3814 #19 · p.3814 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Nice video from the business end of a KC-135, showing night refueling of two F-16s.

There are also some informative posts in the comments from a couple of tanker crew.

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/refueling-an-f-16-in-the-middle-of-the-night-is-scary-a-1586702940

Jun 06, 2014 at 02:03 PM
futurshox
• • • •
p.3814 #20 · p.3814 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I'm sure as hell remembering them. Wish I could be in Normandy today.

Got to love this mind you: http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-sussex-27735086
Pensioner is told by his nursing home that he couldn't go to Normandy, so he snuck out and went anyway :-)

Jun 06, 2014 at 02:34 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password