Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3811      
       3813              4321       4322       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

gerov
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3812 #1 · p.3812 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

On a slightly different note, thoughts and prayers go out to the victims of the horrific train accident in Santiago de Compostela in Spain - 78 dead and 131 injured when a high speed train left the tracks in a curve just outside of town. Unfortunately, initial reports indicate that the train was travelling at 190kph on a stretch limited to 80kph.

ToPP - from a few years ago - color IR from a converted D30.

Edited on Jul 25, 2013 at 07:33 PM · View previous versions

Jul 25, 2013 at 06:54 PM
nrferguson
• • •
p.3812 #2 · p.3812 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Congratulations Niall!

Gero is correct, you will love it! I'm assuming yours is a II, you'll love it even more from what I hear. This is a slippery slope you know, you'll start wondering what the 300 and 800 would do to your image making efforts!

I've got the 300 but it's not quite long enough
Niall

Jul 25, 2013 at 07:32 PM
Zane Adams
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3812 #3 · p.3812 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I went out to our local university to watch the Formula SAE autocross action last weekend.

This was really my first time trying panning of cars to capture the action...I seem to have a hard time getting the whole car in focus during the shot...more so at the slowest shutter speeds. Any ideas on how to better the shots would be greatly appreciated.

Some samples.

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:02 PM
futurshox
• • • •
p.3812 #4 · p.3812 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Zane Adams wrote:
I seem to have a hard time getting the whole car in focus during the shot...more so at the slowest shutter speeds.

I see that often, too, especially with aircraft tails. I suspect it's to do with the change in angle, relative to the moving object. The slower your shutter speed, the more time the object has to move and get out of focus/motion blurred.

Not sure how to combat it really other than use a faster speed or just concentrate on the driver or pilot and get them sharp, at least. Anyone else...?

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:14 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3812 #5 · p.3812 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

futurshox wrote:
I see that often, too, especially with aircraft tails. I suspect it's to do with the change in angle, relative to the moving object. The slower your shutter speed, the more time the object has to move and get out of focus/motion blurred.

Not sure how to combat it really other than use a faster speed or just concentrate on the driver or pilot and get them sharp, at least. Anyone else...?

Yes, Jo is in the right of it: simple geometry is working against you at the slower shutter speeds. When you pan with an subject moving across in front of you, various bits of it are moving at slightly different rates and directions through your frame even when the subject, as a whole, is tracked perfectly. So at the slower speeds you can expect only some part of the subject to be sharp, no matter how good your technique.

Jul 25, 2013 at 10:56 PM
pburke
• • • •
p.3812 #6 · p.3812 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

just go with it. As long as the helmet is in focus, the rest can be as blurred as it can be. That looks even faster, especially at more extreme angles.

No zoom pull here - just the car doing it's thing while panning, Velvia back in the day...

Jul 26, 2013 at 12:24 AM
Tim Adams
• • • •
p.3812 #7 · p.3812 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

For race fans and Senna fans, an absolutely brilliant Honda commercial,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeO2q8FzcnM

If you have not seen the movie "Senna", do yourself a favor and see it. It is incredibly moving.

Jul 26, 2013 at 01:46 AM
Ernie Aubert
• • • •
p.3812 #8 · p.3812 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

That sounds like what must have been going on with this one from five years ago:

Jul 26, 2013 at 01:54 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3812 #9 · p.3812 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

That is one gorgeous image Peter! And a great illustration of what's being discussed here. You're yet one more example of the stunning talent that resides out there.

I'd have a 60" print of that on the wall before the motor drive had cooled.

Jul 26, 2013 at 01:57 AM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.3812 #10 · p.3812 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Zane Adams wrote:
I went out to our local university to watch the Formula SAE autocross action last weekend.

This was really my first time trying panning of cars to capture the action...I seem to have a hard time getting the whole car in focus during the shot...more so at the slowest shutter speeds. Any ideas on how to better the shots would be greatly appreciated.

Zane, here is an old post of mine to the Sports forum (2008) where I was looking for help with this issue. As everyone has said, it's the changing angles and distances at various points on the car.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/669380/0

Mark

Jul 26, 2013 at 01:58 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3812 #11 · p.3812 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

My OSH plans might have changed. May have a B25 gig, and that would change everything. I have tickets on hold for a late Monday night arrival into MKE.

Booked three B25 shoots this afternoon, we'll most likely base out of Georgetown and use Glenn's landscape as backdrops.

Jul 26, 2013 at 02:07 AM
astrobrian
• • •
p.3812 #12 · p.3812 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Assuming Devil Dog is one of them yes? They're heading up Sunday morning if my last info is correct.

Jul 26, 2013 at 02:55 AM
Go4Long
• • •
p.3812 #13 · p.3812 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hope you all have fun...
here's a picture of my latest acquisition...the ram, not the cat :P

Jul 26, 2013 at 03:08 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3812 #14 · p.3812 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Nice Steven!

Jul 26, 2013 at 03:31 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3812 #15 · p.3812 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

DD will be the platform if it all comes about, at OSH and back here in The Lone Star.

We're closing in on having our own, but I'm not rushing it, prosperity can be a bit daunting in and of itself. I was a pretty content and blessed guy before all this other stuff started. I want to make darn sure that I stay that way and don't let "stuff" cloud my vision.

Jul 26, 2013 at 03:33 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3812 #16 · p.3812 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Go4Long wrote:
Hope you all have fun...
here's a picture of my latest acquisition...the ram, not the cat :P

http://www.stevenszabophoto.com/photos/i-fxxMckQ/1/L/i-fxxMckQ-L.jpg

Know what the commission is on that excavator? About 100K. I used to love to lease them with a purchase option, because then you have a whack coming in monthly from each of the machines you have out on lease. Eventually the client has so much in them in lease payments, their accountant tells them to go ahead and exercise the purchase option and walla, you get another chunk. That was the second most fun job I ever had

Jul 26, 2013 at 05:02 AM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.3812 #17 · p.3812 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
We're closing in on having our own, but I'm not rushing it, prosperity can be a bit daunting in and of itself. I was a pretty content and blessed guy before all this other stuff started. I want to make darn sure that I stay that way and don't let "stuff" cloud my vision.

Jim, I can attest to just how true it is that "prosperity can be a bit daunting." I have zero concerns about "stuff" clouding your vision... I do not expect that to be a problem for you. But there are plenty of other problems you can run into when you acquire wealth (and especially liquidity) very quickly, and most of them are not easy to predict and not easy to prepare for. And they can be hugely stressful or even lethal, financially speaking.

I see it all the time with my clients, and I've even seen it with my own family: the change from running a business to running an investment portfolio (or even worse, a portfolio of working assets like airplanes) is like leaving your photography business to running a hospital construction group... it's a whole 'nuther set of skills and nearly nothing carries over. It's incredibly easy to bite off more than you can sustainably chew -- even if you take great care.

Be very, very, very careful my friend. As you move forward, please note that all parts of the puzzle are interdependent and that you can make 10 good investments only to find that the "big picture" of all 10 shoots a hole in your foot because of the way they can interact.

Also note... the structural work (legal, fiscal, etc.) is critical. The right structures will make your life much easier, and of course the inverse also applies.

I'll leave it at that for now, hopefully we'll get a chance to chat soon just to catch up and add some detail to this post.

Jul 26, 2013 at 05:20 AM
Larry Grace
• •
p.3812 #18 · p.3812 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

ISAP member meet-up at EAA AirVenture

ISAP members have asked about a meet-up in Oshkosh during EAA
AirVenture, and it looks like there will be a number of ISAP members
attending this year's weeklong event.

A good area to meet up with fellow ISAP members and to make plans is at the media center. Many photographers
who are on assignment meet there to catch up, to make dinner plans, or make plans to spend time shooting together during the week.

For members at Oshkosh for the beginning of the show, a meet-up will take place at 4 p.m. Sunday at the media center. At that time, interested photographers can plan for future meet-ups during the week.

Other good times to meet your fellow ISAP members at the media center are during the lunch hour, and before and after the daily airshows.

Have a great time at AirVenture, and good shooting!

Members of MA2A are welcome to join us at OSH / EAA Air Venture.

Jul 26, 2013 at 05:59 AM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.3812 #19 · p.3812 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Larry Grace wrote:
Members of MA2A are welcome to join us at OSH / EAA Air Venture.

You're always a class act, Larry.

I'm sorry that I will miss the chance to spend time with you on this particular occasion.

Jul 26, 2013 at 06:10 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3812 #20 · p.3812 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks for the insight Rodolfo. One good thing is, none of our aircraft will be working investments. The other good thing is, I've worked my fanny off for the better part of 50 years, my responsibility in all of this is to relax and have a very good time, while remaining exactly who I am (for better or worse) I'll put a coat and tie on and shake a hand, but then I'm going to play at the airport. There is a very astute international team handling the heavy lifting. The sign next to my door will say "VP of Fun", most likely with a "Gone Flying" sign hung over it.

You should have seen Gunny's face when JR told him, over a BBQ plate, that he wanted us to find our two favorite Mustangs and buy them asap, so we could just go to fly in's together and have fun. I think he's still pinching himself!

Jul 26, 2013 at 06:15 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password