FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3809      
       3811              4529       4530       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3810 #1 · p.3810 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Welcome back Rodolfo, I feel your pain, although I've been employing Zim's succinct strategy for not assuming board positions, airport board positions, committees of any kind, etc. Thanks again Zim, "No!" is in fact, a complete sentence. Now given our age difference and the honors that are being bestowed upon you, I can completely see what you would accept those challenges, and congratulations!!

Thanks Guys, for your offers to throw a little "film" experience my way. Truthfully, video makes still photography and post processing look like paint by numbers! Sure wish GoPro would step up the Hero4, there are some clips that scream for the versatility of that little camera. That project is in it's infancy, so I have some time. I'm thinking we'll shoot some of the story during AFW 2014.

Jun 03, 2014 at 03:40 AM
pokertony211

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3810 #2 · p.3810 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

incredible

Jun 03, 2014 at 07:55 AM
richhrly
• • •
p.3810 #3 · p.3810 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
Colin, Jay, and Laura... thank you. I'm delighted to "see" you all as well.

I may actually get the chance to see some of our British contingent in real life soon, since I have at least two trips to the UK this year. I'll be in Ireland 6/18 to 6/29 and in London 6/30 to 7/8, combining a business trip with a family vacation.

If Daniela, the kids, and I can break bread with any of you, please PM me so we can discuss!

Do shout Rodolfo! I've recently returned to the thread too, it's that time when excitement kicks up for air shows! Welcome back!

Jun 03, 2014 at 08:04 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.3810 #4 · p.3810 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Interesting, Mark. I went looking at a news story here and found some Medal of Honor winners, and one from Dayton, Ohio, drew my attention quickly. I pass by a memorial to him just about every day, and never knew the story till yesterday:

Tony Stein
World War II, Marine Corps Reserve
Rank and unit Corporal
Entered service
Birth date 30 September 1921
Birth city Dayton
Birth county Montgomery
Birth state Ohio
Birth country United States of America
Accredited city
Accredited county
Accredited state Ohio
Place of action Iwo Jima, Volcano Islands
Date of action 19 February 1945
Issue date
Issue year
Citation:
For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving with Company A, 1st Battalion, 28th Marines, 5th Marine Division, in action against enemy Japanese forces on Iwo Jima, in the Volcano Islands, 19 February 1945.

The first man of his unit to be on station after hitting the beach in the initial assault, Cpl. Stein, armed with a personally improvised aircraft-type weapon, provided rapid covering fire as the remainder of his platoon attempted to move into position.

When his comrades were stalled by a concentrated machinegun and mortar barrage, he gallantly stood upright and exposed himself to the enemy's view, thereby drawing the hostile fire to his own person and enabling him to observe the location of the furiously blazing hostile guns.

Determined to neutralize the strategically placed weapons, he boldly charged the enemy pillboxes 1 by 1 and succeeded in killing 20 of the enemy during the furious single-handed assault.

Cool and courageous under the merciless hail of exploding shells and bullets which fell on all sides, he continued to deliver the fire of his skillfully improvised weapon at a tremendous rate of speed which rapidly exhausted his ammunition.

Undaunted, he removed his helmet and shoes to expedite his movements and ran back to the beach for additional ammunition, making a total of 8 trips under intense fire and carrying or assisting a wounded man back each time.

Despite the unrelenting savagery and confusion of battle, he rendered prompt assistance to his platoon whenever the unit was in position, directing the fire of a half-track against a stubborn pillbox until he had effected the ultimate destruction of the Japanese fortification.

Later in the day, although his weapon was twice shot from his hands, he personally covered the withdrawal of his platoon to the company position.

Stouthearted and indomitable, Cpl. Stein, by his aggressive initiative sound judgment, and unwavering devotion to duty in the face of terrific odds, contributed materially to the fulfillment of his mission, and his outstanding valor throughout the bitter hours of conflict sustains and enhances the highest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service.

msalvetti wrote:
Bringing this back to the fore, because I just heard a story on the CBS Evening News about Jim "Pee Wee" Martin, who parachuted into Normandy in 1944. Laura, he's from the Dayton area (Xenia, specifically).

I Googled him and came across articles that included a story about what was supposed to be his last parachute jump in 2010, when he was 89. That one was in Ohio. Well not so fast, he's going to jump again into Normandy later this week. Pretty amazing.

I also came across this Flickr gallery of some of Jim's WWII photos.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/brevort/sets/72157625284582297/

As an aside, Whiskey 7 will
...Show more

Jun 03, 2014 at 09:00 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.3810 #5 · p.3810 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks Jim, I appreciate the kind words and prayers.

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Dear Laura, you are already on my prayer list due to the anniversary you have coming up this month, so a little extra can't hurt! Best of luck with your interview, they'd be crazy not to hire you, you're nothing short of amazing.

Jun 03, 2014 at 09:02 AM
Shaggy Wolf
• • •
p.3810 #6 · p.3810 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Woo! Finally got to an air show this season, probably the only one for the year, though :/ Hit up the Virginia Beach Patriotic Festival on Sunday. It was a tiny little show, only ran about 3 hours, but they had some really fun displays. The aerobatic guys are often ho-hum at these things, but they had 5 different ones there, and they put on a great show.

Here's Rob Holland and Jack Knutson experiencing the magic of telephoto compression (either that, or they are somehow defying physics:

The Geico Skytypers put on their typically fun display. I got a few others of them that I may have to process and see what I can make of them:

It was also my first time seeing an Osprey. He was fun to watch, initially did a couple of passes in "plane mode," and then converted over to helicopter mode and tooled around. He was churning up the water something fierce, and at one point everyone on the boardwalk got hit with salt spray. It was a little entertaining when suddenly the entire line of photographers standing there turned and faced away from the beach as one.

Then...I finally caught a Raptor! The thing has been crazy elusive, first show that I was supposed to see it at removed it from the roster when all of the F-22s were down for mx issues, and then the next show got cancelled totally last summer. He never flew all that fast, and when he did it was almost unimpressive, I guess because it was almost like he wasn't trying. The display was CRAZY though, I'd seen videos, but watching it in person was thoroughly impressive. The pilot just kinda flopped around in the air, and you wondered how the heck it wasn't just falling to the ground. There was a line of hotels immediately at our backs, and I heard the airboss clear the pilot into the show box on my scanner, but we couldn't find him. He came up behind us and probably lit the burners right as he crossed the hotel line, we didn't hear him until he was right overtop of us.

It was a good day. I got some neat shots, hopefully I'll have some time away from the kiddo to work on a few more. Maybe not up to the standards of some of the folks here, but I like them

As an aside, I love listening to the pilots on the radio. The aerobatic guys are always excited (especially Sean Tucker, that guy has WAY too much energy). It's also amusing that all of the military pilots adopt the "I'm a badass" voice, speaking in the sort of emotionless, low growly sort of way. It's probably a class at the AF academy or something.

Jun 03, 2014 at 11:32 AM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.3810 #7 · p.3810 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Welcome back Rodolfo, I feel your pain, although I've been employing Zim's succinct strategy for not assuming board positions, airport board positions, committees of any kind, etc. Thanks again Zim, "No!" is in fact, a complete sentence. Now given our age difference and the honors that are being bestowed upon you, I can completely see what you would accept those challenges, and congratulations!!

If I ever grow up to be as accomplished in my field as you are in yours, my friend, I'll consider declining such appointments.

At the moment, though, I relish the opportunity to serve the family-business world in one more way. My family was lucky enough to be one of the first-ever clients of one of the first-ever professional family-business consultants, and his advice and guidance has helped keep us united, happy, and successful for the last 35 years. Working with the Family Firm Institute is one of the best ways I have to pay it forward and help other families get better counsel from the professionals who serve them.

Whether you measure by employment, revenue, or any other metric, family businesses are the lion's share of every economy on Earth; and most of them are more successful and longer-lived than their non-family counterparts. But sadly, "family business management" as a serious field has been around barely 40 years. We've built up a great deal of knowledge in that time, but many families and many advisers haven't gotten the memo, and the wheel is often reinvented simply because the family/business doesn't know about the resources and best practices they should be using.

richhrly wrote:
Do shout Rodolfo! I've recently returned to the thread too, it's that time when excitement kicks up for air shows! Welcome back!

Hi, Rich! Our trip to Ireland (June 18th through 30th) is with the whole family, and we'll be moving around quite a bit. The first couple of nights are near Belfast, the last couple near Dublin, and the rest of the time we'll be based near Limerick. From June 30th until July 8th, Daniela, the kids, and I will devote ourselves to getting to know London in a more leisurely fashion.

I'll PM you a little later to talk about the details. I'd love to catch up with you.

Jun 03, 2014 at 12:35 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.3810 #8 · p.3810 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

NightOwl Cat wrote:
Interesting, Mark. I went looking at a news story here and found some Medal of Honor winners, and one from Dayton, Ohio, drew my attention quickly. I pass by a memorial to him just about every day, and never knew the story till yesterday:

Tony Stein
World War II, Marine Corps Reserve
Rank and unit Corporal
Entered service
Birth date 30 September 1921
Birth city Dayton
Birth county Montgomery
Birth state Ohio
Birth country United States of America
Accredited city
Accredited county
Accredited state Ohio
Place of action Iwo Jima,
...Show more

Thanks Laura. The Marines earned 82 Medals of Honor during WWII, and 22 of them came during the two months of fighting on Iwo Jima. Unfortunately, Tony was awarded his posthumously. Reminds me of the line from Flags of Our Fathers: "Yesterdays heroes became today's dead."

Oh, I forgot to wish you luck on your interview. I'm sure you'll do great.

Mark

Jun 03, 2014 at 02:01 PM
Shaggy Wolf
• • •
p.3810 #9 · p.3810 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Anyone have any good presets as a starting point in Nik software? I've got it with LR3, and my usual strategy is just clicking a few sliders and calling it a day. The photos I posted above were tweaked with Viveza and Sharpener, then cropped in LR. I have the full collection of Nik stuff, including Color Efex and Silver Efex.

edit: or even a favorite online tutorial would be great

Jun 03, 2014 at 02:29 PM
Kingfishphoto
• • • • •
p.3810 #10 · p.3810 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I +1 to JW comment about Laura.
Harry Palmer

Jun 03, 2014 at 02:50 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Glenn Watson
• • • •
p.3810 #11 · p.3810 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Shaggy Wolf wrote:
Woo! Finally got to an air show this season, probably the only one for the year, though :/ Hit up the Virginia Beach Patriotic Festival on Sunday. It was a tiny little show, only ran about 3 hours, but they had some really fun displays. The aerobatic guys are often ho-hum at these things, but they had 5 different ones there, and they put on a great show.

Here's Rob Holland and Jack Knutson experiencing the magic of telephoto compression (either that, or they are somehow defying physics:
https://farm6.staticflickr.com/5485/14147327519_e350e3c375.jpg

The Geico Skytypers put on their typically fun display. I got a few
...Show more

Hi Sean:

All pilots adopt the "I'm a badass" voice.

Glenn

ps - i've never been to a beach airshow - looks awesome!

Jun 03, 2014 at 04:32 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3810 #12 · p.3810 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Shaggy Wolf wrote:
Anyone have any good presets as a starting point in Nik software? I've got it with LR3, and my usual strategy is just clicking a few sliders and calling it a day. The photos I posted above were tweaked with Viveza and Sharpener, then cropped in LR. I have the full collection of Nik stuff, including Color Efex and Silver Efex.

Of the Nik tools, Siver Efex Pro 2 is the only one I've gotten friendly with. It comes with a large number of presets; the way I learned the software was to run images through and check all the presets until I found one that seemed closer to what I was after than the others, then play with the sliders to see how they changed the end result. Eventually I started saving some of my own presets using names like "aerial snow hi structure", so I could try to pick a reasonable starting place the next time I brought an image in for conversion.

Don't miss the chance to play with the color filter sliders: they often yield big results with little effort.

Jun 03, 2014 at 05:11 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3810 #13 · p.3810 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Kingfishphoto wrote:
I +1 to JW comment about Laura.
Harry Palmer

Absolutely! Go get 'em, Laura!

Jun 03, 2014 at 05:13 PM
Shaggy Wolf
• • •
p.3810 #14 · p.3810 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Glenn -

It seems like the .mil guys use it more, though. At least, in my experience of listening at airshows.

It was neat having it on the beach, unfortunately no one did low passes to get "rooster tails," but we had blue skies, the sun at our backs, and a sustained ~10 knot wind clearing the smoke out quickly. We did have to watch out for the "creep factor," since we were standing on the boardwalk overlooking the sunbathers with telephoto lenses

They parked a CG Cutter (the USCGC James Rankin) at show center, to give the pilots something to take a mark from. I got a few pictures of it, I need to look to see if any are in focus, I was trying for a shot of a plane flying by the cutter and wasn't watching my f-stop, looks like most of them have either the plane or the cutter in focus, not both.

I wish I could get back down there for Oceana, but it's a heck of a drive. I was only down there because my sister was graduating from seminary. Conveniently, there was a local air show at the same time

Steve -

I'll just have to twiddle knobs some more, then. A few quick tutorials I've seen make it look fairly simple, so we'll see what I can do with it.

Jun 03, 2014 at 07:25 PM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3810 #15 · p.3810 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Shaggy Wolf wrote:

And when you hit on something you like, be sure to use the "Custom" feature and save your preset!

I've let too many "Hey, that's kinda cool" moments get away in all the Nik/Google products.

Jun 03, 2014 at 08:27 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3810 #16 · p.3810 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Marcia and I went for a flight this morning early, before the turbulence got too unpleasant. I was hoping for gaggles of white pelicans to shoot, but all I got was these lousy stereo-X pairs.

You can see Pike's Peak on the far horizon in the second pair.

Edited on Jun 03, 2014 at 09:37 PM · View previous versions

Jun 03, 2014 at 08:30 PM
Razor17
• •
p.3810 #17 · p.3810 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Wrei wrote:
Nah...he lives in Texas...

Its a Texas thing.

Jun 03, 2014 at 09:07 PM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
p.3810 #18 · p.3810 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Shaggy Wolf wrote:

Hi Sean:

I use Nik stuff a lot -

i really like color effex detail enhancer (used sparingly, gets hdr overcook look real easy)
i really like viveza structure slider for white puffy things
i don't really use their sharpener much, but I always run en through dfine when complete.

i like the tools, but they introduce a lot of noise, esp with higher ISO files - and dfine seems to deal best with that compared to the lightroom NR function.

I kinda wish it wasn't 5 separate programs - i hate having to create 4 sep TIF files so I can run a small thing through each one, but disk space is cheap.

You should consider the upgrade the LR4 - its a big upgrade.

Glenn

Jun 03, 2014 at 09:24 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3810 #19 · p.3810 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Here's a construction project I've been watching for over two years (it's about a mile off the departure end of Rwy 33 at KEIK): it's a velodrome that they started and then stopped construction on for well over a year; in the meantime, a big windstorm knocked down a good chunk of what they'd already erected. It looks like they're pushing to completion, now, though.

http://www.bouldervalleyvelodrome.com/page/2/

Jun 03, 2014 at 10:03 PM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3810 #20 · p.3810 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hard Drive Cleaning / Gleaning Continues...

Jun 03, 2014 at 10:09 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password