Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3808      
       3810              4288       4289       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevezzzz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3809 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Rodolfo, I'm glad I was able to make Anya a gift of the opportunity, but you're so right to be proud of the way she took the bit in her teeth and ran with it. We were at 12,500' with the doors off, banked steeply toward Anya's side of the plane, leaving her looking straight down at the ground. Didn't faze her a bit: she had a camera in her hands and was intent on making the most of it. That girl will go far.

[edit for TOPP: old-school cowling of the Wright Whirlwind on an old Travel Air]

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:50 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3809 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
I was underwhelmed.

Now, I don't have a lot to go on, because all I got to do was hold one in my hands for a minute or two in the meeting room. But compared to the old Blad gear the one I handled felt cheap, like they put it together from a bunch of plastic parts. The reps did nothing to sell me on it, either: it was like, Hey, we're Hasselblad and you're just a 35mm guy who wouldn't understand. Sad, really.

On the field day at Paine FIeld, the reps were having, well, a field day, shooting
...Show more

Interesting Zim. There were two Blad employees that I really hit it off with decades ago, the first was Professor Ernst Wildi, Blad photographer of historical proportions and writer of all the manuals, hard cover books, etc. The second guy was my rep, Rob Logan. Rob was just a wonderful person, no hype or arrogance to either of those gentleman. They were there to support their loyal Blad customers and that they did. I put two Halliburton cases in the lake during a sailing regatta years ago. The new SuperWide had just been released and Rob had gotten me the first one to enter the US. Three 500 C/M's and a host of lenses, along with my new SW spent about an hour in a boat that had a waterline slightly above it's deck line. We had gone in to lunch at the yacht club, returned to the dock an hour later for the next race, but found an odd sight. The four mooring ropes were taught and disappeared into the murky lake. Our "water to water" platform was at the wrong end of the ropes. Halliburton cases are a lot of things, but water proof doesn't happen to be one of them. When they pulled my two big Halli's out of the boat, water poured out the hinges that ran along the back of them. I took that as a bad sign.

I finished the race work with 35mm Nikon gear and called Rob on my way home. He told me to put all the bodies and lenses in a cooler filled with clean water and bring them to the Blad service center in Dallas. He then called the director of the facility, it was a Sunday, and asked if he'd meet me there. Fast forward..... the director had two techs come in as well and we all stood looking into three coolers filled with clear water and Hasselblads. A day later, the verdict was in, all that gear had become property of The Hartford.

I didn't have a 4x5 then, so all my architecture and most of my annual report work was shot on my Blads, the SW being the primary architectural tool. Competitive Camera was more than happy to rush order all the 500 bodies, backs and lenses, but I had sunk the only SW in the country, and it wasn't coming back. I was out of the architectural business, and had work coming out my ears, it was the 80's the Reagan years, and business was great.

Lo and behold, my phone rings and it's Professor Ernst. He introduces himself in a thick German accent and proceeds to explain that he is in Goteborg Sweden, at Hasselblad. He tells me that he has Blad building me a new SW, but in the interim he has already overnighted his personal brand spanking new Super Wide for me to use until my new one arrives. Rob had called Ernst and told him of my plight, and Ernst jumped on it. I shot with The Professor's SW for a month, until my new Blad arrived. Ernst, Rob and I became fast friends through all of that and our friendship endured.

So Zim, you and I are of the same opinion. "Real" Hasselblads are no longer. One only has to pick a new one up (as you so accurately described) to realize that they have been supplanted with plastic bits and pieces and lenses not befitting the Ziess moniker. And, it appears, they are being marketed by people too impressed with themselves to care if anyone buys their product. Eastman Kodak implemented a marketing plan very similar to that years ago. I got to witness a bit of the result of that when I photographed all their Gulfstreams for a broker.

Too bad. I do have one Hasselblad left, the shiny 500 C/M that God gave me, sitting on a shelf at HQ. It has worked hard, and well, and it has served as a constant reminder for three decades, through thick and thin, of the promise "For I know I have plans for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11 And that He has.

Guess we'll stick with our meager 35mm gear and let the esoteric breath the rarified air, huh? Until there is no more.

Jul 24, 2013 at 12:32 AM
Tim Adams
• • • •
p.3809 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

1956 C/G

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM lens    200mm    f/20.0    1/100s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jul 24, 2013 at 12:47 AM
PDumm
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3809 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
"For I know I have plans for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you a hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11 And that He has.

Thanks Jim, I needed that after today

Jul 24, 2013 at 01:44 AM
Jeff W.
• • •
p.3809 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
I absolutely love your re-processed stormscape, Jeff. But this one looks a tad overcooked to me, almost like it was faked.

Thanks for the input Steve. I always appreciate solid C&C; it is how an old guy like me learns and improves. Dramatic scenes like that stormscape create difficult decisions for me during PP. It is a thin line that I can easily trip over in trying to convey the mood - going from subtle to burnt. I'm still playing with it as I think it might be a good candidate for a print using the Piezography process.

Jul 24, 2013 at 02:38 AM
Jeff W.
• • •
p.3809 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Tim Adams wrote:
1956 C/G

Talk about a ride in a time machine. You just took me back 40+ years Tim - thank you

Jul 24, 2013 at 02:42 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3809 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

You're welcome Paul. Isn't it odd that a Book many consider irrelevant, or don't consider at all, can have so much wisdom for the moment it's needed. Kind of leads you to believe it's True, doesn't it.

Don't know what you had to deal with today, but He is sufficient, and I hope tomorrow will be a much better one.

Jul 24, 2013 at 03:08 AM
USM IS
• • •
p.3809 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

So real looking for being so small. Craftsmanship! The B-29 has a 13' wingspan, weighs 65# and has electric brakes, powered by four OS 91 engines. The Mustang has a seven foot wingspan! I caught some prop discs and even got a lightning bolt on the T-6, first for me on a little guy. Hope you enjoy the little guy's. The "war used" look on the Mustang and Mitchell are damn fine to me.

Mike

The Classy Miss B Haven by barbed wire photography, on Flickr

P-51D by barbed wire photography, on Flickr

Go Air Force by barbed wire photography, on Flickr

Dina Might-B29 by barbed wire photography, on Flickr

Jul 24, 2013 at 03:30 AM
DanNehmer
• •
p.3809 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Mike,

Very nice! Looks like you had a good time at the small fly in in Cedar Rapids. Wish I could have joined you. What lens did you use mostly? 600, or could you get close enough to work with shorter lens?

Dan

Jul 24, 2013 at 03:40 AM
USM IS
• • •
p.3809 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I have shot for them the last couple years so they let me up to within fifteen feet of the runway. All were with the 300 except the B-29 was with the 600 to get the nice angle, at least to me anyway. Thanks for looking.....

Mike

Jul 24, 2013 at 03:45 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3809 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jeff W. wrote:
Thanks for the input Steve. I always appreciate solid C&C; it is how an old guy like me learns and improves. Dramatic scenes like that stormscape create difficult decisions for me during PP. It is a thin line that I can easily trip over in trying to convey the mood - going from subtle to burnt. I'm still playing with it as I think it might be a good candidate for a print using the Piezography process.

I'm not sure we're on the same page, Jeff. The one I'm calling overcooked is the one with the BA 747, not the monsoon clouds over the city: that's just terrific.

Jul 24, 2013 at 03:52 AM
Jeff W.
• • •
p.3809 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
I'm not sure we're on the same page, Jeff. The one I'm calling overcooked is the one with the BA 747, not the monsoon clouds over the city: that's just terrific.

Sorry Steve, I misunderstood. You are spot-on with the 747. I overcooked it purposely as my vibrantly colorful salute to the new monarch across the pond

Jul 24, 2013 at 04:02 AM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3809 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jeff W. wrote:
Sorry Steve, I misunderstood. You are spot-on with the 747. I overcooked it purposely as my vibrantly colorful salute to the new monarch across the pond

Well, if it's a commentary on the British monarchy, then...

Jul 24, 2013 at 05:21 AM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3809 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

A day late and a dollar short: last night was the full moon and we had almost perfectly clear skies at sunset, too. But I was at the grocery store, kicking myself, when I spotted the full moon rising over the Taco Bell.

Tonight, Marcia and I made a sunset flight over Denver in the Remos, sans doors. But it was not nearly as nice as last night would have been: hazy, broken clouds, no moon to be seen. But you shoot what's in front of you, so here's my attempt at making lemonade out of some pretty sour lemons.

Edited on Jul 26, 2013 at 02:55 AM · View previous versions

Jul 24, 2013 at 05:26 AM
david russell
• • •
p.3809 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Nice stuff Steve. I really like that a lot.

Edited on Jul 26, 2013 at 05:55 AM · View previous versions

Jul 24, 2013 at 06:09 AM
misster
• • •
p.3809 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

USM IS wrote:
So real looking for being so small. Craftsmanship! The B-29 has a 13' wingspan, weighs 65# and has electric brakes, powered by four OS 91 engines. The Mustang has a seven foot wingspan! I caught some prop discs and even got a lightning bolt on the T-6, first for me on a little guy. Hope you enjoy the little guy's. The "war used" look on the Mustang and Mitchell are damn fine to me.

Mike

Very good work - I'm impressed !

Jul 24, 2013 at 06:18 AM
Jeff W.
• • •
p.3809 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
A day late and a dollar short: last night was the full moon and we had almost perfectly clear skies at sunset, too. But I was at the grocery store, kicking myself, when I spotted the full moon rising over the Taco Bell.

Tonight, Marcia and I made a sunset flight over Denver in the Remos, sans doors. But it was not nearly as nice as last night would have been: hazy, broken clouds, no moon to be seen. But you shoot what's in front of you, so here's my attempt at making lemonade out of some pretty sour lemons.
...Show more

I really like the A2G of Denver Zim.

Edited on Jul 26, 2013 at 03:40 AM · View previous versions

Jul 24, 2013 at 06:31 AM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3809 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Nicely done Steve...

Jul 24, 2013 at 07:29 AM
USM IS
• • •
p.3809 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

misster wrote:
Thank you very much misster.

Mike

Jul 24, 2013 at 11:27 AM
nickjohnson
• • •
p.3809 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I got one other nice shot @Yeovilton. This is it.

I'm going to the Scottish National Air Show @East Fortune on Saturday. The line up looks better than last year and the weather is likely to be better. Oh, did I say that? Well I know from last year that I might be shooting into a lot of things but the sun won't be one of them. So hopefully no repeat of the Yeovilton bleach out. Websee.

Jul 24, 2013 at 01:18 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password