Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3807      
       3809              4307       4308       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jeff W.
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3808 #1 · p.3808 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
I'd like to welcome a budding talent to the list by publishing her first air-to-air, this shot of papa Rodolfo flying with fellow-MA2Aer David Russell in the 2-32 over the foothills west of Boulder, at 12,500'.

Anya and I chased Rodolfo and David in the Remos (with the doors off, of course!) and tucked into a thermal outside and above them, at 12,500'. I handed Anya my D-800 and with two sentences of instruction, this is what she squeezed off.

Everyone, please welcome Anya Paiz.

Terrific photograph Anya. I wish my first A2A image looked this good. I'm looking forward to your next effort

EDIT for TOPP:

A minor tribute to the newest addition to the royal family

Jul 23, 2013 at 01:10 PM
ELinder
• •
p.3808 #2 · p.3808 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
What glass were you using for that wonderful image?

Thanks. I used the current Nikon 300mm f/2.8. Love that lens. It just came back from Nikon where they replaced the focus motor, and I think it's even sharper than it was before.

Jeff, love that last toned image! Incredibly ominous looking.

Erich

Jul 23, 2013 at 06:17 PM
ELinder
• •
p.3808 #3 · p.3808 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

As for GPS apps, I have the TomTom app on my iPhone and iPad. It's a big download, but what I like is that you don't need a data connection for it to run, it,s all stored in the device.

Erich

Jul 23, 2013 at 06:24 PM
Jan-Arie
• • • •
p.3808 #4 · p.3808 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

ELinder wrote:
As for GPS apps, I have the TomTom app on my iPhone and iPad. It's a big download, but what I like is that you don't need a data connection for it to run, it,s all stored in the device.

Erich

Interesting

Jul 23, 2013 at 06:31 PM
jj_glos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3808 #5 · p.3808 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

From the weekend:

RIAT 2013 by jj_glos, on Flickr

Jul 23, 2013 at 07:29 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3808 #6 · p.3808 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JDE1 wrote:
"Pair of Sixes"

This one is art.

Thanks JDE. They did a nice routine. Carl Best is one of the pilots. He is the absolute repository of North American AT-6 knowledge, I mean down to what MS number nut should be installed. He was instrumental in bringing 41 Charlie up to standards after a supposedly "Ground Up" restoration. A restoration that left one elevator push pull tube rod end attached by only three threads and no safety wire! And three annual inspections that never broke paint on any inspection panels. Just one of dozens of lethal little details. Carl and I talked at Thunder, and again last night about finding me the nicest Six around for our stable. He is a tremendous resource, and one heck of a stick in a Six.

The other half of the team, well, as Thumper's Dad told him, "If you can't say somethin' nice...........don't say nuthin' at all....."

Edited on Jul 23, 2013 at 07:51 PM · View previous versions

Jul 23, 2013 at 07:47 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3808 #7 · p.3808 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Beautiful captures jj!

Jul 23, 2013 at 07:50 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.3808 #8 · p.3808 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

This looks so otherworldly, Jeff.

Jeff W. wrote:
Terrific photograph Anya. I wish my first A2A image looked this good. I'm looking forward to your next effort

EDIT for TOPP:

Jul 23, 2013 at 08:00 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.3808 #9 · p.3808 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

And in other news, I ordered one of Brian's photos of the Aeroshell, and it just came. It's fantastic on metallic paper. Now to make room on the walls.

Jul 23, 2013 at 08:01 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3808 #10 · p.3808 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Not being able to leave well enough alone, I called my folks at Home Theatre Direct to discuss my hangar speaker travails. I don't know why I didn't go to them in the first place, the system I have in HQ sounds incredible. Anyway, my guy there said he had just the thing for me and I headed his direction. An hour later Halle and I were connecting up two beautiful speakers in the hangar and firing them up. I knew with the first guitar strum, they were staying. They aren't "outdoor" speakers, but considering how long my old Bose lasted, I'm willing to risk it for the sound quality. JD always made sure we had front row center seating for his concerts, and they sound just about like that.

Jul 23, 2013 at 08:02 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.3808 #11 · p.3808 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Glad they got that fixed for you, hope the storms that are currently rolling through here don't head your way. Weather radio is going crazy today with severe thunderstorm warnings including hail and high winds. (also glad I don't have to worry about a motor in the MF version)

ELinder wrote:
Thanks. I used the current Nikon 300mm f/2.8. Love that lens. It just came back from Nikon where they replaced the focus motor, and I think it's even sharper than it was before.

Jeff, love that last toned image! Incredibly ominous looking.

Erich

Jul 23, 2013 at 08:04 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3808 #12 · p.3808 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I don't know if I ever mentioned it, but I had a dozen photographs in John's last concert tour brochure. There was even a shot of Sheila, JR and me with him standing in front of his Skybolt after a day of biplane fun. When I got my Bipe finished, he was going to take me on some special route he loved, to Sedona to have breakfast at a favorite spot. Wasn't to be.

Edited on Jul 23, 2013 at 08:41 PM · View previous versions

Jul 23, 2013 at 08:07 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3808 #13 · p.3808 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hey Guys, I never thought of it til now, but how was the Blad presentation at ISAP? Obviously not terribly impressive, or one of you would have said something. Maybe it's just the thought of spending a 100K to shoot with something 4 MP larger than the D800 that turned you off. Never saw an image, never heard a peep from us, or Blad about the experience, interesting.

Jul 23, 2013 at 08:41 PM
Bill Gass
• • • •
p.3808 #14 · p.3808 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Love and miss JD.
I would always have my sister play his songs on her guitar for me when I was younger.

Jul 23, 2013 at 09:33 PM
nrferguson
• • •
p.3808 #15 · p.3808 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

My first ever B-25!!!! (It didn't show at Dunsfold last September)
Niall

Jul 23, 2013 at 10:30 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3808 #16 · p.3808 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Bill Gass wrote:
Love and miss JD.
I would always have my sister play his songs on her guitar for me when I was younger.

I'm with Ya Bill. JR fingerpicks his music beautifully. We all miss him, just a senseless loss, red flags all over that one. John just got too cavalier about flight and it bit him. We were about as far away politically as two people can get, even way back when we weren't nearly as polarized, or in as much trouble as we are now, but the music, flight and photography somehow overshadowed all that. Sheila and I were with him at a concert on the grass in Dallas the first time he played "For You". His voice really matured over the years. Love the early stuff, but his voice in later years, "Perhaps Love", "For You", and a few others was really beautiful.

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:01 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3808 #17 · p.3808 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Hey Guys, I never thought of it til now, but how was the Blad presentation at ISAP? Obviously not terribly impressive, or one of you would have said something. Maybe it's just the thought of spending a 100K to shoot with something 4 MP larger than the D800 that turned you off. Never saw an image, never heard a peep from us, or Blad about the experience, interesting.

I was underwhelmed.

Now, I don't have a lot to go on, because all I got to do was hold one in my hands for a minute or two in the meeting room. But compared to the old Blad gear the one I handled felt cheap, like they put it together from a bunch of plastic parts. The reps did nothing to sell me on it, either: it was like, Hey, we're Hasselblad and you're just a 35mm guy who wouldn't understand. Sad, really.

On the field day at Paine FIeld, the reps were having, well, a field day, shooting air-to-air from the B-25 and generally looking like they were enjoying themselves. But they didn't give a talk in the symposium and I doubt very much that they sold any gear.

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:39 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3808 #18 · p.3808 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

This is a neat story about a Lend-Lease P-39 that was repatriated to western NY and is being restored in the same facility where it was built.

video: http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid34757272001?bclid=0&bctid=87804472001

text: http://www.historynet.com/lend-lease-p-39-returns-to-western-n-y.htm

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:43 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3808 #19 · p.3808 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

nrferguson wrote:
My first ever B-25!!!! (It didn't show at Dunsfold last September)
Niall

Nice! And the Corsair ain't chopped liver, neither.

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:44 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3808 #20 · p.3808 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jeff W. wrote:

I absolutely love your re-processed stormscape, Jeff. But this one looks a tad overcooked to me, almost like it was faked.

Jul 23, 2013 at 11:46 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password