FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3778      
       3780              4533       4534       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Wrei
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3779 #1 · p.3779 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

The Texas Military Museum from Camp Mabry, TX and the Collins Foundation Huey participate in a SEA battle re-enactment at the Central Texas Air show. I am amazed each year when the event begins, how many kids and SEA veterans rush up to the fence to watch the action. Of course we are here in the Ft. Hood area. (SEA-Southeast Asia)

I used the patch tool in PS-6 with content-Aware to remove the runway, lights and markers plus a water tower on the hill, but I left the bluebonnets...it's a Texas thing!

Before

After

Edited on May 05, 2014 at 01:02 PM · View previous versions

May 05, 2014 at 12:57 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3779 #2 · p.3779 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Interesting that the photographer creates these perspectives almost completely in post, but doesn't bother to clone out an unsightly roof vent while he's at it, or the articulating portion of an otherwise unseen lamp in an adjoining room. It's just beyond me that there are marketing directors who will pay for this stuff, I used to shoot for that builder prior to a mgmnt. change a few years ago. Truthfully, I wouldn't have time to shoot for them if they called me back, but it does make you scratch your head over what some folks will accept, or even like??

May 05, 2014 at 12:57 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3779 #3 · p.3779 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

That's a great shot Wrei.......um, but I'd check your patch tool.....................

May 05, 2014 at 01:00 PM
Wrei
• • • •
p.3779 #4 · p.3779 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Edited to cover up an operator error! Thanks guys!

May 05, 2014 at 01:02 PM
Aero_70

p.3779 #5 · p.3779 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jim.. Are those actual photo's or renderings out of an Office-Max, home architect program?

May 05, 2014 at 01:04 PM
Wrei
• • • •
p.3779 #6 · p.3779 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jim, I could have taken those shots...'nuff said!

May 05, 2014 at 01:04 PM
stevet5808

p.3779 #7 · p.3779 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Razor17 wrote:
Did anybody make it out to Chino this weekend for there show??

No, but we saw a great show at the Spirit of St Louis airport. Warbirds, Sky Soldiers, Patty Wagstaff, Michael G, and Skip Stewart.

May 05, 2014 at 01:09 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3779 #8 · p.3779 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Dear Paul, Exxxxxactly!

Dear Wrei, You "could" have taken those shots.......but you would have deleted them!

May 05, 2014 at 01:22 PM
Aero_70

p.3779 #9 · p.3779 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Whew. I was sitting here trying to figure out some of the shadows and textures.

In the front view of the house, aside from the driveway, the vent pipe and the shadows that make my brain hurt...
The roofing just below the vent shadow looks like the sheeting is not level.. Something that drives me insane when I look at new homes that have crappy roofing jobs. If I can see the joint between the plywood/OSB that's under tar paper and shingles, then I fear everything else in the house.
To have this in a CGI rendering.. Sad and funny all at once.

May 05, 2014 at 01:45 PM
futurshox
• • • •
p.3779 #10 · p.3779 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Thanks Jo. I ordered the wider gear, a set of back up props and the prop protectors last night. My gimbal is acting a little weird, the GoPro continuously pops from level to 45 degrees down, then back up. I removed the mount and am going to reinstall it this week and troubleshoot it. The 8" HD monitor is going to be really cool. How long did it take you to get comfortable flying it? I need to get some tips from you and Zim, he seemed to be an expert with his right off the bat. The Phantom is
...Show more

I didn't know there was wider gear! Alan got me the prop protectors along with the machine, so I've always flown with them. Seems like a good idea. I don't have a gimbal so can't comment on those. As for flying it, well I'm not sure I'm 100% used to it yet.... although on a calm day in a hover, yes, you can just park it in the sky. I still need to learn my left from right when it's facing towards me, though ;-)

TOPP...Have a nice Texas-y Cub.

May 05, 2014 at 02:18 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3779 #11 · p.3779 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Actually Paul, sad to say, those are actual "photographs". The technique (or imho..lack of ) is to walk take a zillion varying exposures, flash light around here and there, then take pre-existing skies and views for out the windows and blend them all together in some ridiculous looking post processing stew. Somehow, in the spirit of "The Emperor's New Clothes" photographers pass this along as artistry. They aren't renderings and they're a poor excuse for photography, but it's out there and someone is buying the work. I've had an agency ask me if I could shoot in that style for a particular( not very) client. I was courteous in my reply, but it translated into not only No, but H#@% No.

May 05, 2014 at 03:21 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3779 #12 · p.3779 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I applaud you for your versatile talents Jo, and never being hesitant to jump into something new! Wish I had known about the prop protectors before I chewed my new one's up. It's inevitable because the quad wants to tilt one direction or another on take off and landing, and with the standard gear it can go over on it's side in a blink. I was hovering and rotating pretty well after about a half an hour, but you're right, it adds several dimensions even to the r/c techniques I've developed. I'm close to having the control reversal become instinctual, but my flying is still punctuated with moments of abject panic.

I think the AMA and the local chapter will be a big help to Chandler and me, although we are pretty spoiled with just walking out the back door and launching our planes. There's a place for both. AMA membership for Seasoned Citizens is practically nothing......um, so I have that going for me?

JR is such a character. We assembled and launched the quad and twenty minutes into it he says, "Dad, this isn't going to do what you want. I'm calling right now and ordering you the full blown version that I was going to get you in the first place!" I love the Phantom, especially with the bells and whistles he added on for me, and it's going to be a while (if ever) before I get up the courage to hang a 1DX and a lens from anything I'm not actually riding in!

I guess the Phantom guy is heading the way of the surfer dude who thought up GoPro, into the ranks of the Forbes List. There are simpler ways to become billionaires than the route JR and I are traveling! UGH!

On the subject of GoPro, they have to be close to popping out the Hero4. I want to get a couple more 3+ units, but I think I'll wait a few months to see if they release a sequel. I want to get my props/guards/wide gear and a little practice before I stick the GoPro on and divide my attention.

May 05, 2014 at 03:40 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.3779 #13 · p.3779 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Such a lovely view of the brick wall in the last image Why do I get the impression that it was an "Uncle Bob" sort of shoot?

JWilsonphoto wrote:
I consider you all truly the most discerning group of photographers I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. Let me put before you what my competition (and obviously some visually challenged clients) seems to think passes as photography......................

May 05, 2014 at 03:43 PM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.3779 #14 · p.3779 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jim,

As they say in the UK -

Congrats on collecting the bus pass!

May 05, 2014 at 05:15 PM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.3779 #15 · p.3779 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I've ordered up some new stuff for my GoPro -

Item 1 - GoPro stealth housing.

Item 2 - Switronix GoPro Battery Eliminator USB.

The USB battery eliminator should allow for a USB battery pack to power the GoPro, avoiding the short duration battery issues and the excessive heat build up.

There are 2 or 3 other companies who make Battery Eliminators.
One of them even makes a unit that can be connected to an aircraft's electrical system.

May 05, 2014 at 05:22 PM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.3779 #16 · p.3779 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jim,

It might be worth getting a set of the carbon fibre props for the Phantom rather than the plastic ones.

May 05, 2014 at 05:24 PM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.3779 #17 · p.3779 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
I consider you all truly the most discerning group of photographers I've ever had the pleasure of knowing. Let me put before you what my competition (and obviously some visually challenged clients) seems to think passes as photography......................

First, let me thank you for sharing your personal images from the weekend celebration. Always a refreshing diversion from our normal visual treats.

Second, I think the architectural/real estate photography market is a microcosm of the US economy and businesses in general. I see several components to your work.

1. The equipment component. It appears to me that you've made a serious and significant financial commitment to ensuring you have the "best" equipment available to produce the best imagery for your clients. I would suggest that most of your competition either won't or can't make that financial commitment. If it gives you and your clients an advantage, you add it to your quiver.

2. The technical expertise component. You've invested countless hours learning to use all your equipment to achieve those killer images. Besides the learning curve, this is time you generally can't bill to the client. Therefore, you have to make a personal commitment to increase your technical skill set on your nickel. Again, I would suggest that most of your competition either won't invest the personal time or simply don't have sufficient horsepower between their ears to figure the technology out.

3. The artistic component. Beyond the equipment and technology, you've got an artistic vision that allows you to "see" the potential of every location and then use your tools/skills to realize said vision. This is where I believe most of your competition and visually-challenged clients fall short. Neither can "see". Accordingly, they can't understand why they need to spend their money for something they don't understand from a visual and marketing standpoint.

4. The work ethic component. You simply outwork your competition. You also out-deliver your competition. It isn't coincidence that your award winning clients also have the vision and "see" the value in hiring Jim Wilson. They understand that buying a luxury home means they need to help potential buyers "see" what makes the difference between their products and the competition - value for value.

This is what I think makes the free enterprise system so great. The cream generally floats to the top. Not everyone can afford or even appreciates cream. If we can find a way to keep the Fed's from screwing things up anymore than they already have, the free enterprise dynamic will always give those willing to make the effort a chance to succeed.

Just my 2-cents.

May 05, 2014 at 05:44 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3779 #18 · p.3779 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:

What's with the 'fun house' forced perspective on the far wall in the first shot? Sheesh.

May 05, 2014 at 07:25 PM
JamesG
• •
p.3779 #19 · p.3779 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Waiting for action @ Duxford

May 05, 2014 at 07:50 PM
Jan-Arie
• • • •
p.3779 #20 · p.3779 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

That's a cool one James