Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3778      
       3780              4252       4253       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

astrobrian
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3779 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

gerov wrote:
Brian,
great timing on that shot. I have to say I get a chuckle when I see the size of the B-25 and its engines compared to that little fire extinguisher

Gero

Luckily there is a fire station only a block away

Edit TOPP: Run Up Blur

Edited on Jul 03, 2013 at 03:56 AM · View previous versions

Jul 03, 2013 at 03:41 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3779 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

For our aspiring pros in the group, today was another chapter in my as yet unwritten book, "So You Want To Be a Pro?!"

Just as I was finishing a five mile walk early this morning my cell phone rang. You know a challenge is afoot when the client begins apologizing before they even tell you what they need. "Is there any way you could bend your schedule to shoot a BBJ for us today?" If it's humanly possible, my default answer for the past three decades has always been, "Certainly!" My clients are probably the most pampered ones in existence, and I have no intention of changing that at this point.

A call to the client I was shooting for today, a quick shower, a gear check and I was on my way to what I knew would be a hornet's nest. The airplane had just landed from a one hour shakedown flight and at least twenty people stood waiting with their tools to dive in an do the final tweaks. This scenario isn't all that unusual, but then the rest of the story unfolded. Glancing at my watch it was just after nine, the plane was departing with a Prime Minister and fifteen crew and high ranking military officers at 12:45, no wiggle room. We boarded, did a quick walk through and I began setting up and shooting. The jet was shaking from the footsteps of the dozen or so technicians scrambling around the various cabin sections, dismantling tables, captain's chairs, trouble shooting the "Air Show" system, and a bunch of other things on the punch list.

My plan was to begin in the aft lav and work forward, partly because that was the only compartment not filled with people and tools. I began turning on all the lights and figuring out angles. When I had finished with that compartment, work in the next was supposed to be complete so I could progress toward the nose. Shooting a BBJ in three hours is basically an impossibility unless of course you utilize the advanced techniques we saw in the shots I posted yesterday When I opened the lav doors I was greeted with a war zone of tables, pedestals, wiring, and technicians in little blue surgical shoe covers. Having been around this block before, I could see that this shoot didn't have a prayer of getting completed, unless they wanted me to shoot it as it flew to the other side of the world, not out of the realm of possibility. The guys were able to put the next VIP cabin back together enough for me to fudge three or four perspectives, but that brought me to a stone wall of impossibility, and I was just in everyone's way, so I pulled all of my gear out of the plane and put my part of the operation on pause until I could determine what was going to happen next.

This was the point where a BBJ assignment did a rapid course change to a VIP/delivery ceremony shoot in a completely different location. None of this was planned, but it was happening and a whole different set of tools were required. I used to allow this stuff to get me all twisted up, which accomplished nothing, save limiting my ability to deal. The next two hours bounced back and forth between a board room and a middle of the day sunblasted ramp. The jet shoot never resumed, but I knew there was no way it was getting completed, or anywhere near.

Certainly this whole scenario is extreme, but it's the stuff a commercial shooter's life is made of to one degree or another, just listen to my friend Joe McNally wax poetic about his three decades in the crucible. I have have come to realize that it, if it doesn't make one a raving maniac, creates a confidence and flexibility that ends up permeating everything you do in life, and that's oddly satisfying, in a masochistic sort of way.

A dozen executive portraits tomorrow beginning at 7 am and I'm cranking up for the 4th.

Jul 03, 2013 at 03:55 AM
astrobrian
• • •
p.3779 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

In short, do not take only the gear you "think" you will need for a particular shoot. I have learned this one myself a couple of times already. As the saying goes, anything can happen, and will.

Jul 03, 2013 at 04:03 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3779 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Absolutely Brian. I bring everything, including the kitchen sink, to every shoot, in triplicate in most cases. You just never know and there's no coming back from being unprepared, even if it's not your fault.

Jul 03, 2013 at 04:35 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3779 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Saw the drawings for my 747-8i project today. Unfortuantely, under strict contract, none of those images will ever see the light of day, but I can tell you that there has never been anything like this, ever, anywhere. The final shoot will last a week or more. Absolutely unreal. Hopefully capping it off with a B25 air to air session over some cool landscape feature in the US. Aviation wise, it will most certainly be the pinnacle of my career. Isn' t it typical that it can't be used for marketing or horn blowing of any kind, oh well.

Jul 03, 2013 at 04:35 AM
Slug69
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3779 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks for the stories JW. Very intrigued about the last post too.

Cheers.

Jul 03, 2013 at 05:17 AM
Jeff W.
• • •
p.3779 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Here in AZ we were blessed today to have a Herc from the 302nd AW out of Colorado Springs come and join the fight. It is equipped with a Modular Airborne FireFighting System (MAFFS II). Three more 130's also equipped with MAFFS are scheduled to join the fight tomorrow. The Yarnell wildfire that killed the 19 firefighters is still not contained and we have many other wildfires going in various parts of the state. KIWA has become ground zero for much of the aerial assets fighting the various wildfires. Everything from BAE 146-200's, to DC-10's, to 130's, to Air Tractors, etc…

Herc with a Squirt

In the Belly of the Beast

Jul 03, 2013 at 05:47 AM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3779 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Nice Jeff.

I'm hoping to get over there tomorrow.

Jul 03, 2013 at 05:49 AM
Jeff W.
• • •
p.3779 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

FlyingPhotog wrote:
Nice Jeff.

I'm hoping to get over there tomorrow.

Thanks Jay. I'm currently planning to be there tomorrow afternoon - clients willing. I hope to see you there. Bring some water or Gatorade; you know how hot it can get - even under that pagoda.

Jul 03, 2013 at 06:16 AM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3779 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Yepper. Appreciate the reminder.

Jul 03, 2013 at 07:58 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

gerov
• • • • •
p.3779 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Nice, Jeff. That's some serious looking machinery inside the Herc.

If you hadn't posted the second image, I was going to ask you if that Herc had a Hemi with that pipe sticking out of the back

Gero

Jul 03, 2013 at 12:56 PM
Wrei
• • • •
p.3779 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

That C-130 reminds me of the nuclear powered B-36 project.

Jul 03, 2013 at 01:03 PM
Jeff W.
• • •
p.3779 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks Gero & Wrei. When one of my AzAP cohorts saw that image last night he was moved to offer a quote from the movie Ghostbusters:

"Why worry? Each one of us is carrying an unlicensed nuclear accelerator on his back."

Jul 03, 2013 at 01:57 PM
futurshox
• • • •
p.3779 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Interesting article on the BBC about flying the Blackbird, with stories I haven't heard before:
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20130701-tales-from-the-blackbird-cockpit

Jul 03, 2013 at 02:34 PM
david russell
• • •
p.3779 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

futurshox wrote:
Interesting article on the BBC about flying the Blackbird, with stories I haven't heard before:
http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20130701-tales-from-the-blackbird-cockpit

I like how he heated his food on the window glass. Somehow, I don't think that will translate to my Duo Discus.

Jul 03, 2013 at 05:02 PM
Jeff W.
• • •
p.3779 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Tanker 910 rotating at KIWA…

Jul 03, 2013 at 06:56 PM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3779 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Excellent Jeff...

What's your approx focal length there?

Jul 03, 2013 at 07:01 PM
Jeff W.
• • •
p.3779 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

FlyingPhotog wrote:
Excellent Jeff...

What's your approx focal length there?

Thanks Jay, it means a bunch coming from you sir.

According to the EXIF the focal length was 210mm on my 5D3 ff sensor. I was using my 100-400L, but could have easily gotten away with my 70-200IIL. The only crop on this image was to perform a very minor adjustment to the horizontal level. Otherwise, this is the frame that came out of the camera - with artistic massaging of the pixels of course

Jul 03, 2013 at 07:10 PM
cbrandt
• • •
p.3779 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Happy 4th of July folks -

Courtesy of Tom and Alice Blair of Easton, MD

http://www.chesapeakehome.com/2011/06/09/st-michaels-estate/

Jul 03, 2013 at 07:25 PM
Donald Gray
• • • •
p.3779 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Happy 4th July fly out to all my American friends...

Behave yourselves & if y'all pay all your back taxes to Her Britannic Majesty's Government & no more nonsense about wasting tea in Boston Harbour; that you take up cricket and stop wearing body armour when playing rugby etc, then we might, just might consider allowing y'all back in the Commonwealth - y'hear!

Jul 03, 2013 at 07:43 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password