Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3760      
       3762              4376       4377       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

futurshox
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3761 #1 · p.3761 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Pretty awful day in Dayton, for sure. I only witnessed one airshow crash (the two MiGs at Fairford, way back when) but both involved survived. I don't even want to think about witnessing a fatality like that. *hugs* to Laura and her friends.

On a completely different note, here's something that just popped up on my radar: http://www.fractureme.com/ - printing on glass. No idea what it's like but it sounds interesting.

Edit: Another TOPP! Here's that helicopter again, disgorging its Sheriffs:

Jun 22, 2013 at 11:46 PM
ELinder
• • •
p.3761 #2 · p.3761 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

It's days like this that make you remember that every day is a blessing. It doesn't matter if you are personally touched by tragedy or see it unfold in front of you. Live each day to it's fullest. Tell those closest to you that you love them.

That detachment that was mentioned is a funny thing. I saw it happen. I knew immediately what happened and why. And yet after a short time I was drawn to watch the video. The pilot in me wanted to know if the plane gave any early warning signs. How did the pilot react, could you see his control movements trying to save them. Could anything have prevented it. Detachment, covering the deep sorrow for the loved ones of those lost today.

And yet I'll be back at the airport tomorrow, cheering on those who go back up, and fondly remembering the days that I too held the controls of an aircraft.

Erich

Jun 23, 2013 at 12:05 AM
Jan-Arie
• • • •
p.3761 #3 · p.3761 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hey Guys just checking in to see if everybody is allright heard the news about Dayton.
I'm with Marcel at the 24h race at Le Mans.
Just finish'd some night shooting with the gang should have some good stuff.
Take it easy Ripper out

Jun 23, 2013 at 12:41 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.3761 #4 · p.3761 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks Jo and Ripper. Physically, we're all fine. Looking forward to your Good Stuff from LeMans.

Jo, printing on glass definitely sounds interesting.

Jun 23, 2013 at 01:05 AM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.3761 #5 · p.3761 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Tough day in Dayton (my thoughts are with all of you that witnessed this, and the families of all involved), and tough day at Tertre Rouge (for those not following, Danish driver Allan Simonsen was killed 10 minutes into the 24 hours when his Aston Martin went off into the Armco).

J-A, don't know if you've seen the in-car from the car following, but it looked like Simonsen got up on the rumble strip, went squirrely, then veered straight off into the barrier.

Mark

Jun 23, 2013 at 01:06 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.3761 #6 · p.3761 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Some processed images from the tour

NightOwl Cat 2013

Under Fifi's Protection :)

NightOwl Cat 2013

NightOwl Cat 2013

Jun 23, 2013 at 01:07 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.3761 #7 · p.3761 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

NightOwl Cat 2013

NightOwl Cat 2013

NightOwl Cat 2013

This One Could Have Been Trouble Too

NightOwl Cat 2013

Jun 23, 2013 at 01:08 AM
Mrussfoto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.3761 #8 · p.3761 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

One of my favorite things about this thread is the way everyone truly cares for one another when tragedy strikes. This thread has truly turned into a family. May God bless those by the affected by the accident today and help heal their hearts.

Jun 23, 2013 at 01:13 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3761 #9 · p.3761 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Welcome home Tony! Cool shots!! Someone needs to ring that bonehead's doorbell, his schtick is getting a little old. Glad you are home safe and sound. Hey, who is the dashing young guy in the white shirt?

Jun 23, 2013 at 02:48 AM
astrobrian
• • •
p.3761 #10 · p.3761 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Sad day at Le Mans too. Crazy how life is for the sports in our life.

Jun 23, 2013 at 03:59 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Wrei
• • • •
p.3761 #11 · p.3761 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Guess I won't be waiting on the 'big' moon tonight...

Jun 23, 2013 at 04:25 AM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3761 #12 · p.3761 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

So sad to think of the families of the Dayton performers; Laura and Erich, I hope you and the others who witnessed it will be able to put it behind you.

Reviewing the video, things look OK at the entry (low angle of attack, and lined up well), but the maneuver starts to go south during the half-roll to inverted, when the aircraft veered pretty markedly toward the crowd (a combination of yaw toward the heavy wing and 'nose down' pitch while steeply banked). She represented a lot of drag out there on the wing: the pilot seemed to get a little sideways in the roll and pushed forward stick a little too hard through the knife-edge, scrubbing off some energy in doing so; and then he was maybe startled to see the crowd in front of him so pushed the stick forward again, instinctively, to get the nose up, and it snapped out from under him. I wonder if he ran out of aileron authority, too, in the last instants before it snapped: the wings never reached level in inverted flight.

Jun 23, 2013 at 04:33 AM
Jan-Arie
• • • •
p.3761 #13 · p.3761 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

msalvetti wrote:
Tough day in Dayton (my thoughts are with all of you that witnessed this, and the families of all involved), and tough day at Tertre Rouge (for those not following, Danish driver Allan Simonsen was killed 10 minutes into the 24 hours when his Aston Martin went off into the Armco).

J-A, don't know if you've seen the in-car from the car following, but it looked like Simonsen got up on the rumble strip, went squirrely, then veered straight off into the barrier.

Mark

Hey Mark no i havent seen the footage we were at the Porsche curve when it happend but your right he went over the curbes and was gone very sad he was only 34

Jun 23, 2013 at 07:49 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.3761 #14 · p.3761 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Tony, did you also do the DMZ tour while you were there? How'd you happen to be in South Korea anyhow? And what's up with "This Side Off", for someone not in the know Sheesh, I'm nothing but questions this morning, rolled out of bed without the assistance of an alarm clock, at 4:15am

Jun 23, 2013 at 08:56 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.3761 #15 · p.3761 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I'm no expert in these things, but I also wonder how much of a role the weather had in this, as the area I'm in, not that far from the airport, had rain and was extremely muggy when I got home. The airport's on the north side of I-70 and I live on the south side of I-70, less than ten miles between us, I'm guessing, in a straight line.

stevez wrote:
So sad to think of the families of the Dayton performers; Laura and Erich, I hope you and the others who witnessed it will be able to put it behind you.

Reviewing the video, things look OK at the entry (low angle of attack, and lined up well), but the maneuver starts to go south during the half-roll to inverted, when the aircraft veered pretty markedly toward the crowd (a combination of yaw toward the heavy wing and 'nose down' pitch while steeply banked). She represented a lot of drag out there on the wing: the pilot seemed to get a
...Show more

Jun 23, 2013 at 09:04 AM
futurshox
• • • •
p.3761 #16 · p.3761 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I am hearing rumors that Rod Lewis has bought Jerry Yagan's Mosquito....

Jun 23, 2013 at 01:02 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.3761 #17 · p.3761 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

GEnx-1B engine fan on a B787-800

X20    7mm    f/5.6    1/105s    640 ISO    0.0 EV  

Edited on Jun 23, 2013 at 07:28 PM · View previous versions

Jun 23, 2013 at 01:39 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3761 #18 · p.3761 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

NightOwl Cat wrote:
I'm no expert in these things, but I also wonder how much of a role the weather had in this, as the area I'm in, not that far from the airport, had rain and was extremely muggy when I got home. The airport's on the north side of I-70 and I live on the south side of I-70, less than ten miles between us, I'm guessing, in a straight line.

Hot and humid (I read it was 90+ in Dayton yesterday, with RH around 75%) is the worst combination for density altitude. It's not well known outside aviation circles but humid air is less dense than dry air, despite what it feels like to us. Increased density altitude reduces engine output and increases true airspeeds, and thus reduces the performance margins built into any low-level airshow act. The last airshow fatality I remember in Colorado (where density altitudes at the surface in Denver often soar to 10,000' or more) was a victim of density altitude: the wx for Sunday's show was 10-15 degrees warmer than on Saturday, and a MIG 17 pancaked into the ground on the backside of a low-altitude loop: he didn't get quite as much altitude at the top in the hotter weather and didn't have quite enough margin to finish the maneuver. Almost, but not quite.

Jun 23, 2013 at 01:44 PM
futurshox
• • • •
p.3761 #19 · p.3761 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Aaaaand now I am hearing that Jerry Yagen is selling his entire collection!

Jun 23, 2013 at 02:53 PM
mrkyle
• • •
p.3761 #20 · p.3761 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Laura and the rest of the gang that was in Dayton Saturday,

I probably saw some of you on the photo tour and did not even know it. I have been really busy with my life & work and have not spent a lot of time lately looking at all of the fantastic images from you talented folks or taking photos of my own.

After the Indianapolis show got canceled I was very much looking forward to going to Dayton. I was hoping to meet a few of the folks who hang out here but never had the time to check in and make arrangements.

I was also very excited to be in Dayton for another reason. I was going to do a short hop in "Aurora" Jane Wickers Stearman as a thank you for allowing them to use of one my images in the design of some of their merchandise items. My wife and I drove down Friday and met Jane and the gang at the airport around 4pm.

I flew in Aurora with Rock at the controls and had a grand time. It was my first flight in an open cockpit plane and my first time doing some aerobatics. WOW even though I am blessed with a wimpy stomach I was having way too much fun to think about getting sick. Rock let me fly the plane a bit, another first for me. They even mounted a go-pro on the tail to get video for me.

While I was up making holes in the sky my wife was getting to know Jane, Charlie and Brian back at the Wright Aero hanger. She later commented to me that they were a great group of people. We came back and they all signed one of the shirts for me and we had a little photo op in front of the plane.

That was one of the most exciting things I have done in a long time, and now it seems so small and trivial as my wife and I witnessed Saturdays tragic event up close. We were along the fence line just left of the photo pit. I was shooting as the plane went down trying real hard to get a few really nice shots to send them as a thank you. I have not brought myself to look at any of the photos

After it happened I just sat back down stunned, It probably took me 10 minutes to actually process what I just saw. I just knew that they could not have survived that crash. I suppose it took another ten minutes for me to snap out of it and decide that even if the show went on I was done for the day. We packed up and took the long slow back roads way home. I was in no shape to be on I-75.

I later found out that indeed they both had died in the crash.

After spending a short amount of time with all of the Jane Wicker crew it was obvious that they loved what they we doing, even with the crazy schedules they all kept. Having met them and talking with them and knowing a little about them and then witnessing the crash it hit me a little hard.

I commented to my wife early Saturday morning that any day you can see an F-86 and a B-29 is going to be a good day, but I was wrong. I'm still feeling, actually I'm not really sure how I feel I just know I don't feel normal. I do however feel a little better after telling this story. Thanks for listening.

Regards to all

Matt

Jun 23, 2013 at 03:09 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password