Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3758      
       3760              4872       4873       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

msalvetti
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3759 #1 · p.3759 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Peter, what's the story behind the F-35? That looks like a mock-up? I don't think there are any real aircraft in Norway yet, are there?

Mark

Jun 21, 2013 at 09:20 PM
RobMoser
• • •
p.3759 #2 · p.3759 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Seriously clean for a real aircraft. Sure cleaner than mine

Rob

Jun 21, 2013 at 10:56 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3759 #3 · p.3759 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

James is the go to Berkut guy in the world. He's based at McKinney and we've been trying to do an air to air mission for a year, shame on me. I'm sure my Buddy JK did him justice.

Jun 21, 2013 at 11:35 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.3759 #4 · p.3759 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Sad story, Colin, but lovely craftsmanship.

Colin Giersberg wrote:
Back several years ago, I posted several images of a large wooden model mining excavator. For those that saw it then, you remember it. For those who have yet to go that far back in this thread, I would like to post a link to the photos I just posted on a woodworking message board I go to. There are better images in this thread than what I had available to me then, so I hope you check it out.

http://festoolownersgroup.com/general-friendly-chat/wooden-excavator-model/

Jun 22, 2013 at 02:02 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.3759 #5 · p.3759 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

From last weekend

© NightOwl Cat 2013

© NightOwl Cat 2013

© NightOwl Cat 2013

© NightOwl Cat 2013

Jun 22, 2013 at 02:06 AM
Colin Giersberg
• • • •
p.3759 #6 · p.3759 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks for the comments on the excavator. I believe it has just sold, but I doubt that it sold for enough money to make a decent wage. It took 3040 hours to build and over 4000 parts. At $20 an hour, it would cost $60800 just for the labor. But that is life, and it goes on.

Jun 22, 2013 at 02:57 AM
PeterGlaso
• • •
p.3759 #7 · p.3759 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

msalvetti wrote:
Peter, what's the story behind the F-35? That looks like a mock-up? I don't think there are any real aircraft in Norway yet, are there?

Mark

You're right - it's a mock up. Looking forward to seeing the real deal!

Jun 22, 2013 at 10:09 AM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3759 #8 · p.3759 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

The fine folks at the Pima Air & Space Museum turned our Arizona group loose for a few hours in the dark...

Five Lights .. Four Layers .. Two Software Packages

Jun 22, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Wrei
• • • •
p.3759 #9 · p.3759 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Nice job on the Voodoo Jay, looks like it's sporting New York ANG (Niagra) paint. The F-101 helped pay for my first 35mm camera, a Canon AE-1.

Jun 22, 2013 at 12:28 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3759 #10 · p.3759 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I like the way you used a gelled flash to simulate a rotating beacon, Jay. Never seen that done before: good thinking!

Jun 22, 2013 at 01:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

BillyBlaylock

p.3759 #11 · p.3759 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

It has been a while since I checked in here. Man you guys are putting up great images. On the broadband issue - I use Comcast and while their customer service is no better than AT&T the d/l speed is 50 Mbps (or close to it) for $40.

Jun 22, 2013 at 02:16 PM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.3759 #12 · p.3759 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Terrific image of the Voodoo Jay. Wish I could have joined you and the others - looks like you had a good time.

Here is something from KPHX that I photographed back in March. Not exactly in the dark, but getting there…

Jun 22, 2013 at 03:49 PM
PeterGlaso
• • •
p.3759 #13 · p.3759 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jun 22, 2013 at 05:13 PM
PeterGlaso
• • •
p.3759 #14 · p.3759 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jun 22, 2013 at 05:31 PM
nrferguson
• • • •
p.3759 #15 · p.3759 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Just back from a trip to the battlefields around Verdun, France. Not much aircraft-wise, but we visited the grave of Hamilton Coolidge, first world war fighter pilot and a friend of Eddie Rickenbacker
Hamilton Coolidge (September 1, 1895 – October 27, 1918), was an American pursuit pilot, flying ace in World War I, and recipient of the Distinguished Service Cross.

Coolidge was the great-great-great grandson of U.S. President Thomas Jefferson and the best friend of Quentin Roosevelt, the youngest son of President Theodore Roosevelt. Ham Coolidge and Quentin Roosevelt attended the Groton School together, attended Harvard together, and served together in the U.S. Army Air Service First Pursuit Group in France. They were killed in action within a few months of each other in 1918.

Coolidge dropped out of Harvard College during his senior year to join the U.S. Army Air Service. He was one of ten Harvard undergraduates accepted from a field of forty applicants for training at the Curtiss Flying School in Buffalo, New York in July 1916.

A private with the Aviation Section, U.S. Signal Corps, stationed in Miami, Florida when the United States entered the war, Coolidge was sent the School of Military Aeronautics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology on June 5, 1917. He embarked for France on July 23, 1917 and was commissioned first lieutenant on September 29, 1917. After serving as a test pilot at Issoudun, he was assigned to the 94th Aero Squadron, commanded by Eddie Rickenbacker, on June 16, 1918. He was promoted to captain on October 3, 1918.

On October 27, 1918, he was killed in action, his SPAD S.XIII taking a direct hit from a German anti-aircraft shell near Grandpré, Ardennes. He had eight confirmed "kills" when he was shot down. Like Quentin Roosevelt, he was posthumously awarded an A.B. {War Degree}, Harvard Class of 1919.

Last year they discovered, buried in the ground next to his grave (he was buried where he fell) the engine of his Spad XIII - you can see what I think is the attachment point for one of the exhaust manifolds in the photo.
Niall

Hamilton Coolidge's grave

SPAD XIII engine

Jun 22, 2013 at 05:52 PM
Kingfishphoto
• • • • •
p.3759 #16 · p.3759 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
I like the way you used a gelled flash to simulate a rotating beacon, Jay. Never seen that done before: good thinking!

Steve - with Jays talent- , its no VON OH WUNDER - it turned out so great. Nice image, per usual Jay .. The aircraft was said to have, i believe a nasty pitch up tendency. The Canadians took the remaining USAF inventory, deliveries and parts.
Harry

Jun 22, 2013 at 05:53 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.3759 #17 · p.3759 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Sad day in aviation today. Jane Wicker and her pilot died in a crash at the Dayton Air Show.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/news/local/wing-walkers-plane-crashes-at-dayton-air-show/nYSBY/

I was shooting, but stopped when I saw the wing on the ground. Don't know if I can look at the images on the cameras, but know I need to get them off the cameras and into FAA hands.

Jun 22, 2013 at 06:22 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3759 #18 · p.3759 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Sorry you witnessed that Laura. Looks like the Stearman stalled when the pilot pitched up after the roll to inverted and half snapped towards upright. Obviously not survivable. Dangerous business.

There's a YouTube that captures the sequence of events clearly. One always wonders how stuff like this can happen with all the practice. Clearly too low, too slow. What a shame.

Jun 22, 2013 at 06:37 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.3759 #19 · p.3759 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jim, I'm doing ok. My hope is that Mike's wife Lisa (he's a lurker here) is ok. Our prayers went out immediately to Jane's and her pilot's children. The announcers had mentioned she was a single mom as well. I'm now sorting the images.

Jun 22, 2013 at 07:01 PM
Wrei
• • • •
p.3759 #20 · p.3759 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Harry, it had a flight characteristic (feature?) our pilots called "porpoise" due to the stab vacillating during auto pilot. The problem with the pitch up was when a pilot pulled the stick to an attitude where airflow over the wing blocked airflow over the horizontal stab. This caused the F-101 to go into a vertical position, falling tail first towards the ground. The only recovery was to deploy the drag chute. After that, it was ejection time. We lost one because of an improperly installed drag chute fell out on the runway during take off. During the mission the pilot pulled up and stalled. Both guys got out. It was our WSO's third ejection, first in SEA, the other two with us.

Jun 22, 2013 at 07:14 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password