Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3755      
       3757              4132       4133       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

MMcGrath
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3756 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Interesting how far behind the US is with broadband speeds.

My package in the UK is up to 100MB speed. Just ran a test on a wifi connection in the house, in a room that is on a different floor to the router. Download speed of 26mb and upload speed of 4.5mb. I reckon the speeds will be higher on the PC which is wired into the router.

Jun 18, 2013 at 10:38 PM
Guari
• • •
p.3756 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

MMcGrath wrote:

My package in the UK is up to 100MB speed. Just ran a test on a wifi connection in the house, in a room that is on a different floor to the router. Download speed of 26mb and upload speed of 4.5mb. I reckon the speeds will be higher on the PC which is wired into the router.

Who's your provider, if I may? I'm getting 5mb download and 1 upload with orange/EE in Edinburgh... Maybe it's my location?

Jun 18, 2013 at 10:59 PM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.3756 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Guari wrote:
Who's your provider, if I may? I'm getting 5mb download and 1 upload with orange/EE in Edinburgh... Maybe it's my location?

Virgin Media. Location is about 50 miles west in Glasgow.

Edited on Jun 18, 2013 at 11:34 PM · View previous versions

Jun 18, 2013 at 11:33 PM
Macc
• •
p.3756 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Desert Rat wrote:
Hi Guys and Gals,

Just throwing something up here to see what sticks..

A Westland Apache AH Mk 1 from the British Army Air Corps doing some flight testing at Naval Air Facility El Centro. February 2013.

http://www.pbase.com/image/150716067/original.jpg

That is stunning!

Jun 18, 2013 at 11:33 PM
Macc
• •
p.3756 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

The light was horrendous! Shot at 1/125th, f/3.5, ISO200.

Dambuster in the dark by Chris Milne Photography, on Flickr

Jun 19, 2013 at 01:26 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3756 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Since we're sharing I recently switched from DSL to Roadrunner, only because of the speed difference, I was happy with my local provider, but DSL to my house is limited by the distance to the CO (central office) to 1.54MB.

Jun 19, 2013 at 01:51 AM
Desert Rat
• • • •
p.3756 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Macc wrote:
That is stunning!

Thanks..

Jun 19, 2013 at 04:22 AM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3756 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Derivative Work...

(I like Eric's better...)

Jun 19, 2013 at 04:32 AM
pburke
• • •
p.3756 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

NightOwl Cat wrote:
Since we're sharing I recently switched from DSL to Roadrunner, only because of the speed difference, I was happy with my local provider, but DSL to my house is limited by the distance to the CO (central office) to 1.54MB.

I've had the same cable provider for 14 years now - started at 256k up and 1.5mbps down. Never upgraded to their highest level plan, but today I measured 3mbps up and 43.58mbps down - not bad for $50 a month (no TV, no phone). Seems like I have twice as much down compared to just a year ago.

DSL is a hit and miss - I know people who have similar speeds to mine, and others who barely got dial-up performance.

Jun 19, 2013 at 04:44 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3756 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

This is an interesting exchange. I had no idea we were so far behind. I pay 70 bucks a month for TWarner at home, internet only, and about the same for Clear at HQ.

Tomorrow morning TW and Dish should be arriving around 8:30 to put everything back the way it was prior to AT&T thoroughly goofing everything up yesterday. We should be back to normal by noon. "If it ain't broke.........." is a good saying I should have listened to my gut and never tried AT&T.

I don't think I've ever experienced a cluster of that proportion, and a group of people so totally incapable of trouble shooting their product. I waltzed into the AT&T store when it opened this morning and asked just how quickly they could have everything with AT& T on it, gone from my house. Uverse appears to be slower than TW by a little too.

Jun 19, 2013 at 05:03 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Leviathor
• •
p.3756 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

MMcGrath wrote:

It's interesting how far behind the US is in comparison to any country with broadband. Speeds like yours are available in eastern countries for around $40 a month. Hong Kong is the real capital of this endeavor: for $35 a month one can get 500 Mbit symmetrical fiber with no data cap, and for only $50 a month one can get a symmetric gigabit connection. Tokyo: 200 Mbit symmetrical for $25 a month. The only place in the US that has anything similar is San Francisco, with one ISP that offers 200 Mbit symmetric for about $40 a month.

Monopolization of the industry in the US has 1) stunted our growth and 2) made everything outrageously expensive. There's an ISP in Tennessee that offers symmetric gigabit fiber, but it costs ten times as much as the HK offering. Go figure. They also reserve the right to assess fees for going over an unlisted bandwidth cap, whereas the sky's the limit with the HK service provider.

Jun 19, 2013 at 01:43 PM
Desert Rat
• • • •
p.3756 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

FlyingPhotog wrote:
Derivative Work...
(I like Eric's better...)

You have better colors.. Mine is just a silhouette.

Jun 19, 2013 at 02:32 PM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
p.3756 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

quick question for those using NiK Dfine....

This happens to me fairly often and its annoying - process images using LR4, whatever NiK plugins etc, then finish by running it through Dfine. all seems okay but when I go to export the file after it comes back to LR its corrupted with the "error working with the photo" message in LR library.

just wondering....its only Dfine files, no other nik returns this way. simply running the TIF through Dfine again and it comes back good.

Jun 19, 2013 at 02:55 PM
Jeff W.
• • •
p.3756 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Glenn Watson wrote:
quick question for those using NiK Dfine....

This happens to me fairly often and its annoying - process images using LR4, whatever NiK plugins etc, then finish by running it through Dfine. all seems okay but when I go to export the file after it comes back to LR its corrupted with the "error working with the photo" message in LR library.

just wondering....its only Dfine files, no other nik returns this way. simply running the TIF through Dfine again and it comes back good.

Dear Glenn: As I typically us my Nik plug-ins while working in CS6, I've not experienced the problem you've described. It sounds like the problem is with LR and not Dfine. You may want to query the "Adobe Community" (http://forums.adobe.com/community/lightroom) and see if there is someone who has experienced the same problem and found a fix. Best of luck finding a solution.

With July 4th fast approaching and assuming that conditions will allow for a few large displays of fireworks somewhere in your neck of the woods, I thought you might find this article by Joe McNally helpful. It's called "Prepping for the 4th". In typically McNally fashion, a story proceeds the more technical comments about photographing fireworks - I always enjoy Joe's stories and his blog in general. I hope you find this helpful.

http://www.joemcnally.com/blog/2013/06/19/prepping-for-the-4th/

Jun 19, 2013 at 03:24 PM
david russell
• • •
p.3756 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

This glider was featured in the 1995 IMAX film "Stormchasers." It was recently destroyed in an off-field landing at high altitude. I regret that I didn't take the time to get better photos of it while it was still whole.

Jun 19, 2013 at 04:46 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3756 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I'm sorry to hear the 2-32 was destroyed, David. Is everyone OK? How did it happen?

I was there the day the IMAX camera was mounted behind the cockpit by the production crew and Bruce Miller flew it for the opening sequence, shot over the Continental Divide west of Boulder. As I recall, the 'small' IMAX camera they used only had about 45 seconds of film.

Jun 19, 2013 at 06:08 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3756 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

The problem I was having with the Healing Brush in PS CS6 disappeared when I installed the CC version. But now I've got another issue, and it's the same in CS6 and CC versions: from LR5 I open a file in PS as a Smart Object and then add a smart filter (in this case, Dust and Scratches). I add a filter mask and only apply the effect to the portions of the image I want. Then I save the file back to LR5 as a TIFF. But when I view the image in LR5, it completely ignores the filter mask in the Smart Object and applies the filter effect to the entire image.

If I re-open the TIFF in PS it hasn't lost anything: it's still a Smart Object with a properly masked Dust and Scratches filter. So what gives? I've got the latest updates for both LR5 and PS CC (and CS6, for that matter). BTW, it doesn't matter if I use the PSD file format instead of TIFF: LR5 ignores the smart filter mask and applies the filter effect uniformly across the entire image.

I called Adobe support and talked to a clueless guy in some far-off land who wasted 45 minutes of my time before the call was dropped. He never called me back.

Jun 19, 2013 at 06:51 PM
david russell
• • •
p.3756 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
I'm sorry to hear the 2-32 was destroyed, David. Is everyone OK? How did it happen?

I was there the day the IMAX camera was mounted behind the cockpit by the production crew and Bruce Miller flew it for the opening sequence, shot over the Continental Divide west of Boulder. As I recall, the 'small' IMAX camera they used only had about 45 seconds of film.

Everyone was OK Steve. The short story is that they got shot down in wave and clipped some power lines while trying to land in Gold Hill at ~8500 feet MSL....the long story varies widely depending on who is talking....as would be expected with such a dynamic situation.

I know both pilots and can assure you that both are very lucky.

Jun 19, 2013 at 07:44 PM
ELinder
• •
p.3756 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Under the heading of "Oh Lord, what have I done", the Big Brown Truck just dropped off a box that says Nikon D4 on it. Feeling both excited and a bit overwhelmed. Anyone shot an airshow with this beast? Anything surprising or unexpected that I should look out for this weekend in Dayton?

Erich

Jun 19, 2013 at 08:00 PM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3756 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Backing The Visiting Team...

Jun 19, 2013 at 08:30 PM
       3757              4132       4133       end

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell