FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3754      
       3756              4530       4531       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3755 #1 · p.3755 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Nice Steven! Are the vantage points as tough as last year?

Apr 12, 2014 at 12:20 AM
Go4Long
• • • •
p.3755 #2 · p.3755 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Mostly. There's two new holes in the inner fence that I've seen so far...going to go on the hunt for more tomorrow morning.

Apr 12, 2014 at 12:42 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3755 #3 · p.3755 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I've been having a battle with myself for several years now over what direction I wanted to go with the video segment of my work, and even just general video. It's really a case of too many options, brought on by the advance of technology. One one hand I'm tempted to buy one of the latest higher end camcorders and go the simple and much more convenient route. The other option is to grow my dslr accessories into a system that would allow me to capture the "cinematic" clips with the character that we all appreciate. This second option is much more complicated, even after one has put together the system, but the outcome, like Jay's mini production, is just so rewarding.

Back to the options quandary, I have shot with the 1DC, the C300 and 500, looked at every dslr rig manufacturer's wares, and, at the end of the day, I just throw my hands in the air in confused frustration. It really has little to do with the expenditure involved, and a lot to do with too many options. I came very close to pulling the trigger on a brand new Sony camera with 4K, which really has limited appeal to me, but I decided to hold off until I get back from my next assignment. Amidst all this, I "taped" Halle's ballet practice this morning with the 1DX/70-200. A little while ago I downloaded those clips and watched them. In a flash it became crystal clear to me that I will never again be satisfied with video from a "camcorder". The cinematic quality, and even my feeble attempt at follow focus, just captivated me. I called the folks at Zacuto and got them rolling on the dslr rig we've been talking about for a couple of weeks. Edelkrone makes an incredible slider system that is far and away cooler than anyone else's. Now I just need to get Jay fired up to go play"...............Spielberg, step aside

Apr 12, 2014 at 12:45 AM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3755 #4 · p.3755 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jim, I'm itching to play!

Saw my first operational A380 today at LAX. Amazing!

Shooting here through sometime Sunday.

Pics to come eventually. Not doing road edits this trip.

Apr 12, 2014 at 07:46 AM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3755 #5 · p.3755 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Day five in Blenheim and we did see the sun briefly today, after the fog lifted and between showers. I have no photographic evidence of this, but I do have some photos of the world's only airworthy Avro Anson, and some stuff from inside Sir Peter Jackson's Aviation Heritage Centre in Omaka. Amazing place! There are some priceless original artifacts as well as the most realistic dioramas I've ever seen. I've attached a couple of shots of Captain Eddie Rickenbacker's W.W.I flying suit, and they've got a piece of the Red Baron's fuselage fabric, 'souvenired' from the red Fokker Triplane he crash landed after being mortally wounded in the chest by a single bullet fired from the ground.

Apr 12, 2014 at 09:51 AM
Jan-Arie
• • • •
p.3755 #6 · p.3755 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Cool Steve there is another Anson flying in the UK it's a civil version build in 1946.
http://www.airport-data.com/aircraft/G-AHKX.html
I saw it fly last year at Old Warden.

yours is a mk1 and the other one prob a mk?I Think

So there are three a MK1 in New Zealand
A T21 G-VROE with air Atlantique
and the Nineteen with the Shuttleworth collection

But the MK1 is the nicest i think enjoy your stay

Apr 12, 2014 at 10:02 AM
gopans

Account locked
p.3755 #7 · p.3755 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Amazing shots. Thanks for sharing.

Apr 12, 2014 at 10:30 AM
Colin Giersberg
• • • •
p.3755 #8 · p.3755 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Welcome to MA2A gopans. Stick around and enjoy the discussions and the images and participate when you want to.

Regards, Colin

Apr 12, 2014 at 02:23 PM
nickjohnson
• • •
p.3755 #9 · p.3755 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jan-Arie wrote:
Cool Steve there is another Anson flying in the UK it's a civil version build in 1946.

Your right J-A, the UK one is very “vanilla”.

Apr 12, 2014 at 02:26 PM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.3755 #10 · p.3755 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Marine ATTACK Squadrons VMA-311 and VMA-231 on the ramp at Phoenix-Mesa Gateway Airport. I love to take my grandsons out to watch these heroes hone their skills. The public park is so close that I have to bring hearing protection for my grandsons - those Harriers are extremely loud

V/STOL PARKING ONLY

Apr 12, 2014 at 03:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3755 #11 · p.3755 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Here's something a number of my friends are involved in, funded by patriots. They are in Palau at the moment.

http://www.bentprop.org/index.htm

Apr 12, 2014 at 03:11 PM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
p.3755 #12 · p.3755 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Funny your post about taking video JW - ive been feeling challenged myself to get something to offer in the air to air video arena..and after giving a few people a shot at it it just wasnt something I could put my name on yet.

as you pointed out, dslr video rigs are $$$$$. So to make a long story short, i built this silly looking rig for about $20 and took it for a spin yesterday. The whole thing is filled with sand, and the gyro is attached beneath the camera plate.

They wont be showing this footage at ICAS anytime soon, but there is some potential there...with video, getting it right in the camera is imperative i'm learning!

Step aside stedicam, Watsoncam is coming!

Glenn

Apr 12, 2014 at 04:08 PM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.3755 #13 · p.3755 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Glenn Watson wrote:

Funny your post about taking video JW - ive been feeling challenged myself to get something to offer in the air to air video arena..and after giving a few people a shot at it it just wasnt something I could put my name on yet.

as you pointed out, dslr video rigs are $$$$$. So to make a long story short, i built this silly looking rig for about $20 and took it for a spin yesterday. The whole thing is filled with sand, and the gyro is attached beneath the camera plate.

They wont be showing this footage
...Show more

Very interesting Glenn. I don't know squat about video (not a whole lot more about still photography); however, I will offer a couple of comments. Besides the need for some sensor cleaning (something I'm sure you are aware of), the video did not seem to have the tack sharp focus I'm accustomed to seeing in your work. The colors were also muted; missing the rich luster you normally produce. Maybe this is simply a quick edit and your environmental lighting was not optimal.

Your Watsoncam is cool and quirky - I applaud your inventiveness.

Last but not least, in some of the footage where a part of your fuselage enters the frame, really gives me a sense of how darn close you are to these other aircraft.

Keep up the good work sir.

Apr 12, 2014 at 05:06 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3755 #14 · p.3755 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jan-Arie wrote:

Got it: the only flying Anson Mk 1. Thanks for the education, J-A.

Apr 12, 2014 at 08:55 PM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
p.3755 #15 · p.3755 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hi Jeff:
I dont know squat about video either! I watched a 5 minute youtube about doing video on the d800 and then took it for a spin. The sole purpose of the flight was to test for steadyness as i've yet to see anything good out of handholding video in flight.

Your dead on about being out of focus and that was the most challenging part was the focus tracking. As far as image quality, i fully agree and that was right out of the camera. not sure yet what options exist to enhance colors and contrast. Maybe a PM to mr Beckman is in order!

thanks for watching...I hope to keep stepping it up! F/22 and dont be there!

Glenn

Apr 12, 2014 at 09:42 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3755 #16 · p.3755 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Stereo-X pair of the replica Breguet 14.2 at Omaka Aviation Heritage Centre. Painted to represent an aircraft of the 12th Photo Section of the A.E.F. 96th Aero Squadron. I can't imagine doing aerial photography while people are shooting at you…

Apr 12, 2014 at 09:56 PM
JamesG
• •
p.3755 #17 · p.3755 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Playing with software (lightroom, ptgui, photomatix pro, perfect photo suite) and ended up with this creation. One thinks one can over edit!!

Apr 12, 2014 at 11:26 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3755 #18 · p.3755 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Funny Glenn! You are unstoppable! I love the D800, that isn't a secret, but I rarely use it for video. Maybe Jay can explain this, but my impression is that the 1DX has it all over the 800 in video quality. Actually, not in "quality" per se, but the D800, in any mode but "M", continually lightens and darkens as if the videographer was varying f-stops, it's very distracting. The 1Dx has none of that and is silky smooth. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I'm doing the same thing wrong with my X and it is fine.

Yes, one of the things that has caused me to toss my hands in the air has been the fact that no matter what product line you look at for dslr rigs, you blast through four grand without batting an eye. The Zacuto Recoil set up is 4K, and there is another grand or so that really should be added. Yesterday they told me about their new EVF HD viewfinder (available in October, they hope). Well, the EVF that is part of the system I'm working with them on is a thousand bucks, and the new design is light years ahead. I'd be throwing 1 grand down the drain. Unfortunately, the rig requires viewing through an EVF because it offsets the camera for balance and comfort. Basically I either throw away the grand, or wait until the new EVF is available. You know that the current version will be a paper weight when they release the new one.

I can easily see myself moving into a C300/500 in the not too distant future. The Zacuto system is so customizable that little would need to be modified in the move up. Really Right Stuff has just brought a beautiful fluid head to market for tripod mounted video applications. The product looks and reads to be every bit of the quality we've come to enjoy from RRS.

Apr 12, 2014 at 11:35 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3755 #19 · p.3755 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Just watched your footage Glenn, what fun! Here's what I can tell you from a "been there, done that" perspective. Air to air video requires at least 3 axis stabilization like the 4x4. There are a couple of rigs that utilize double 4x4 stabilizers and they approach the image quality of the really high dollar nose mounted stabilizer rigs, for about what the sales tax on those set ups run. I flew with guys using those very stabilizers a few years back when Gunny had me doing stills for "Wings to Adventure", the footage was, well "like butta......" 15K gets you in the ballpark. In those days they were using dual Kenyons like yours, I can only imagine what dual 4x4's would bring to the table.

Technique wise, like still work, velvety air is always preferred, but the 4x4, and the dual 4x4 rigs let you push that envelope. There are a lot of techniques in still imaging that you can't get away with in video, zooming is one of those. You can zoom, but it needs to be electrically smooth and almost imperceptibly slow, which is a tall order in the environment we are asked to perform. Better to shoot a bit wide and crop slightly in post sometimes. Follow Focus is indispensable when you are aiming at that "cinematic" quality in the end product. The Zacuto rig I'm putting together has their patented "Tornado" that serves both as the front grip in your left hand, and, as long as your gripping it, the perfect "follow focus" tool. Now if they could figure out how to actually give you zoom on the other side, it would be perfect. I found an OKI product that allows control of the 1DX in several areas, even digital zoom, but I have to believe the quality of the image goes right down the porcelain facility with digital zoom, just like it does with camcorders. Of course, absolutely none of this will fit in my platform of choice, so there's that!?

Edited on Apr 13, 2014 at 12:04 AM · View previous versions

Apr 13, 2014 at 12:00 AM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
p.3755 #20 · p.3755 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I was shooting in M mode so in that regard, i dont know.. the main reason i'm using the D800 over a Canon is well, i have a D800

I'm so far away from invoicing a video project its hard to feel that serious about it - but i like challenges and its a challenge!

My biggest complaint about my rig is when moving a hand off of the frame to adjust camera, or focus really de-stabalizes the whole rig. 2nd complaint is the viewfinder is hard to see if the image is in focus......so a small hdmi monitor attached to the hot shoe, and a remote AF-ON button would be slick (along with remote push-to-talk which I built today). I'm wondering if the camera has the ability to just 3d-auto tracking auto focus the entire time its rolling? That would be pretty cool and likely work well. Guess i need to get back on youtube and find out.

If you were referring to the constant changing of exposures in my video, that would be due to having about 15 different 2 minute clips taken over a half hour - flying in circles gives too many different lighting situations - not the metering sympton you were describing. Ideally I think taking off and holding a northwesterly heading for the entire flight would be ideal. (and a sensor cleaner!)

More soon!

Glenn

Apr 13, 2014 at 12:01 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password