1       2       3              3750      
       3752              4533       4534       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevezzzz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3751 #1 · p.3751 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

kwoodard wrote:
I think this one is absolutely amazing. This would rock on either metallic paper or an aluminum print. I would love to see it this way...

Absolutely amazing, indeed. But I'd be leery of printing it on aluminum: I took one of my favorite shots of a polished Lockheed Lodestar and had it printed on aluminum using Bay Photo's 'sheer' surface treatment, and it came out looking dull because the aluminum substrate has a lightly brushed surface texture instead of being polished.

Apr 08, 2014 at 04:34 AM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3751 #2 · p.3751 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

wow, maybe i should accidentally open Silver Efex pro more often!

Apr 08, 2014 at 04:55 AM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3751 #3 · p.3751 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Get the white substrate .. more pop

Prints on metal / Metallic prints .. very different animals.

Apr 08, 2014 at 07:49 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.3751 #4 · p.3751 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Got some sample packs of 8.5x11 Red River paper, and trying to decide which print best on a Pixma Pro-100. I do wish though, that they put the paper names on the backside of the papers.

Apr 08, 2014 at 11:46 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3751 #5 · p.3751 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

A good friend involved with The Flying Tigers sent me this today:

http://pippaettore.com/Horrific_WWII_Statistics.html

Apr 08, 2014 at 01:47 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3751 #6 · p.3751 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Yesterday afternoon I had everything that needed to be done, done, and the wind was 360 degrees at nuthin' so I headed to our happy place. Flew the r/c Cub for three six minute flights with no repairs necessary (a new personal best!). I could see something brewing on the western horizon, but it looked like it was about 40 miles out, Bryan confirmed that it was there, headed our way, and nasty, but that I had some time. A half an hour of W1 Approaches and it was time to put everything away and batten down the hatches, fifteen minutes later it was Katy bar the door with gusts to 45, timing is everything.

Apr 08, 2014 at 02:15 PM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.3751 #7 · p.3751 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
A good friend involved with The Flying Tigers sent me this today:

http://pippaettore.com/Horrific_WWII_Statistics.html

Thanks for sharing this Jim. It is absolutely overwhelming for me to contemplate the countless personal sacrifices that were made - both at home and abroad. I must admit to getting a bit emotional as I read. As I finished, Churchill's statement was ringing quietly in my ears:

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."

Apr 08, 2014 at 02:20 PM
Wrei
• • • •
p.3751 #8 · p.3751 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

" The Group commander, Col. Donald Blakeslee, said, "You can learn to fly `51s on the way to the target."

...and I thought I was under pressure when my boss dropped me (a 19 year old 2 striper, first night on the shift) and my tool box off at a C141A and told me to troubleshoot the APU that wouldn't start, then drove off.

I have been truly humbled reading WWII books written by soldiers, especially the 18 year old volunteers who made up a large segment of the Pacific island hoppers. What a great generation.

Found this oldie from basic training...(1970, yeah, last century)...I am the handsome guy in the group...

Apr 08, 2014 at 02:38 PM
jcuecker

p.3751 #9 · p.3751 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

^ raptor looks great.

Apr 08, 2014 at 02:51 PM
jj_glos
• • •
p.3751 #10 · p.3751 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Never disappointed when I check back in this thread, nice work all

Apr 08, 2014 at 04:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3751 #11 · p.3751 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

FlyingPhotog wrote:
Get the white substrate .. more pop

Prints on metal / Metallic prints .. very different animals.

Very true, Jay: the white substrate makes beautiful prints. But I was hoping a polished aluminum airplane would look great printed in B&W on the bare aluminum substrate, and it just didn't turn out that well.

Apr 08, 2014 at 08:22 PM
Colin Giersberg
• • • •
p.3751 #12 · p.3751 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

jcuecker, welcome to [email protected], home of the greatest bunch of aviation photographers on the world wide web. Stick around and make yourself at home.

Regards, Colin

Apr 08, 2014 at 08:58 PM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3751 #13 · p.3751 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Local Muni had their open house over the weekend. "SJ" was the guest of honor:

Apr 08, 2014 at 09:31 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.3751 #14 · p.3751 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

If someone wanted to take me on a flight in one of those B17's when it passes through Sacramento next...I would be much obliged. (I don't have the disposable income to pay for a flight, its #1 on my bucket list of things to do). I know its a shameless plug, can't fault a guy for asking.

Apr 08, 2014 at 09:43 PM
Go4Long
• • • •
p.3751 #15 · p.3751 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I've been trying to convince Jim to convince JR that I REALLY need a ride in the T-38 for a while...you know, to keep up foreign relations...

Apr 08, 2014 at 10:10 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3751 #16 · p.3751 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Funny story about the Talon and my close connections. A few weeks ago my cell phone rang and it was a guy from Missouri who had seen a shot of the 38 on the web somewhere, followed that to my website and dialed me up. He very non-chalantly asked if I'd set him up with a Talon ride..................... I'm sure a minute or so passed while I was wrapping my mind around the request, and it occurred to me that it could be Ross or Matt punking me, but it was actually a real call. The caller went on to tell me that he'd really appreciate it because it was on his personal checklist of things he wanted to do. In situations like this I have a mental checklist of my own that I go through and the first item is.....no matter how tempting it might be, don't be a sarcastic jerk. I consider it a great privilege to be close friends with the people that I am, and rather than use that as a platform to be a big dog by association, I see it as rather humbling and carrying an obligation to be kind and represent that friendship with the highest integrity.

Once I regained my balance after digesting the request, I attempted to bring the fellow to grips with the reality of his request, from the dual perspectives of cost and liability. He persisted, telling me that "it was really important to him". I was racing a dusk shot with 100' of garden hose trailing me and the light was edging toward peak. I once again attempted to gently explain that, absent a substantial business/military connection, the chances were next to zero that he would be blasting off in "The Spirit". He wanted to talk more about it and convince me just how important it was to him, but I was out of time and very close to out of patience. I think I suggested enlisting as an entre to the T-38.

Apr 08, 2014 at 11:09 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3751 #17 · p.3751 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Well Steven, as a citizen of a country that is becoming more conservative than our own, you just might have a better crack at it! Who'dathunkit?!

Apr 08, 2014 at 11:11 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.3751 #18 · p.3751 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jeff W. wrote:
Thanks for sharing this Jim. It is absolutely overwhelming for me to contemplate the countless personal sacrifices that were made - both at home and abroad. I must admit to getting a bit emotional as I read. As I finished, Churchill's statement was ringing quietly in my ears:

"Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few."

Great link. Reminds me of this book, "If You Survive" If You Survive

The title is drawn from the author's first day on the front lines in Normandy, July 1944. His commanding officer told him "If you survive the first day, I'll promote you." Of all the men and officers he started with in his company, he was the only one to finish the war.

I have some issues of The Martin Star, the company magazine of the Glenn L Martin Company in Baltimore. The December 1942 issue is pretty bleak, and a difficult read. Gives you an idea of the mood and problems on the production line, at least early in the war. And the motivational language they were using with their employees.

First page is about the first employee to die in combat, a kid killed on Guadalcanal.

"The Year: On Monday the people of America will have come to the end of an awful and historic year....In time of piece this issue of The Martin Star would concern itself much with the Christmas spirit. But in all truth, there can be little thought of Christmas in this year, 1942. Peace on earth is now a treasure we fight for; it is no longer a simple possession."

"Here in these pages, then, are history, regret, warning, and challenge....It is a grim record. It has been made purposely grim because some Americans still seem barely aware of one great truth - that we fight for survival and that in spite of the late good news from Africa and the Solomons, most of our year has told a story of defeat and withdrawal."

"...it is unbelievable that today, after the most disastrous military and naval year in our history, absenteeism is the greatest single problem confronting the production lines..."

"The year is gone and it avails nothing to weep for its bitternesses. A new year is upon us. Within the grasp of every American, man and woman and child, is an opportunity the like of which humanity has never before been offered. It is ours to take or reject.....Today we are unique; we hold the fate of an entire civilization in our hands. We cannot be false to that trust, for it is the most sacred given to us since the Revolution."

"And so the real battle joins, on the eve of Christmas. It is fought on many fronts. For those of us who remain in America the most vital front is the home front. The mill, the factory, the farm, the production line - there lies our duty - our share in this total war. Our role is to fight with the same Christian zeal as the men in the cockpits and in the fox holes and in the tanks."

Mark

Edited on Apr 08, 2014 at 11:55 PM · View previous versions

Apr 08, 2014 at 11:43 PM
Go4Long
• • • •
p.3751 #19 · p.3751 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Well Steven, as a citizen of a country that is becoming more conservative than our own, you just might have a better crack at it! Who'dathunkit?!

never hurts to dream...just as long as you acknowledge that some dreams will remain dreams

Apr 08, 2014 at 11:51 PM
KZinnack
• •
p.3751 #20 · p.3751 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Wrei wrote:
" The Group commander, Col. Donald Blakeslee, said, "You can learn to fly `51s on the way to the target."

...and I thought I was under pressure when my boss dropped me (a 19 year old 2 striper, first night on the shift) and my tool box off at a C141A and told me to troubleshoot the APU that wouldn't start, then drove off.

I have been truly humbled reading WWII books written by soldiers, especially the 18 year old volunteers who made up a large segment of the Pacific island hoppers. What a great generation.

Found this oldie from basic training...(1970, yeah, last
...Show more

Wow...from "it's a small world" file.. I have a similar picture from 12 years later...also the 3708 squadron. There is some debate if I was "the handsome guy." ( Now I gotta go find the pic)

Apr 09, 2014 at 12:15 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password