Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3694      
       3696              4395       4396       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3695 #1 · p.3695 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Just spent a couple of hours in choppy air with the KS-4x4, it's a keeper. Today is beautiful, not much wind and lots of sun so the air is like a cobblestone road down low. It's very strange to feel the bumps, but not see them in the viewfinder, kind of surreal. I really don't know how low you could go, shutter speed wise, with the 4x4 in relatively smooth air. I would take a wild guess and say you could shoot air to air all day long at 1/30th and slower in smooth air. I can hardly wait to try one of my low level air to airs in soft light. This unit will allow you to turn the background into pure velvet. I bolted it to the X a little while ago and stuck the 70-200/II on just to see how they would play. Choppy air, focal lengths around 135, lens poking out into the slipstream occasionally, keeper rate/100%! I'm about to look at the first D800 video clip, once again, it was surreal to watch the stability in the viewfinder while my fanny was coming out of the seat. Nice work Kenyon! If the sky cooperates tonight, Brian and I are going to take a whack at shooting KTKI at dusk.

May 06, 2013 at 10:18 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3695 #2 · p.3695 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Sheesh! I just looked through the D800 folder and my keeper ratio is 100% there as well with the 24-70 /D800 combination. I thought certainly that there would be a couple of soft ones because I hit a couple of pretty good jolts, in this configuration the camera just doesn't seem to care.

May 06, 2013 at 10:33 PM
JamesG
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3695 #3 · p.3695 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks guys! Just trying to keep up the standard that's been set on here . I'm looking forward to sharing more of experiments over the coming months, with Flying Legends & RIAT already booked and a trip to the D-Day battlefields.

Jim, thanks for the heads up on the cleaning demands of the X. Currently using a Giotto Rocket blower, any other suggestions?

Cheers

James

May 06, 2013 at 10:34 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3695 #4 · p.3695 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Ridiculous! This is at 200mm, bumpy air, not one that isn't crisp!

May 06, 2013 at 10:54 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3695 #5 · p.3695 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

You're welcome James! Don't let the dust problem diminish your affection for what is an incredible photographic tool. The Rocket Blower, in this instance is akin to the proverbial "whizzing" into a rain storm, it'll be worse than worthless. My weapons of choice for sensor cleaning, and I've bought ant used them all, are Visible Dust products. The ones I use every time are the Sensor Loupe, Visible Dust 1.0 (full Frame) Swabs, and Sensor Cleaning Solution. Don't let anyone talk you into any one else's swabs or solution, it's tossing money down the drain. You can order the stuff from B&H and not fool with the customs costs, they come from Canada (so they must be good eh Steven! I can walk you through the process if you would like, it's nothing to be afraid of, just a few precautions and some patience.

May 06, 2013 at 11:30 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3695 #6 · p.3695 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

PS, Y'all keep this gyro thing quiet, Glenn with a KS-4 is dangerous enough, we don't want him getting any better than he is for a while.......................... I'll give him my 4x4 when I am ready to hang up the spurs.

May 06, 2013 at 11:33 PM
Angry
• • •
p.3695 #7 · p.3695 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JamesG wrote:
Hi guys,

Took delivery of a 1DX last week and had my first play with it yesterday at the Abingdon Air & Country Show. A big change from my 1Dmkii, so its going to take a little getting used to. Spent time mainly playing with the different AF modes, if anyone's got any tips with this camera I'm all ears!

The only downers were that I found the sensor is absolutely filthy, with dust even in the viewfinder. Never had a new camera arrive in such a state before. And as it was my first airshow in 10 months, I can't believe
...Show more

Welcome James,....

Mate if thats what you term rusty ,.........I goota get me some rusty.....
Hope you enjoy your 1DX....

Al.....

May 07, 2013 at 12:42 AM
RobMoser
• • •
p.3695 #8 · p.3695 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

A few more.

Rob

May 07, 2013 at 02:17 AM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3695 #9 · p.3695 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JamesG wrote:
Hi guys,

Took delivery of a 1DX last week and had my first play with it yesterday at the Abingdon Air & Country Show. A big change from my 1Dmkii, so its going to take a little getting used to. Spent time mainly playing with the different AF modes, if anyone's got any tips with this camera I'm all ears!

The only downers were that I found the sensor is absolutely filthy, with dust even in the viewfinder. Never had a new camera arrive in such a state before. And as it was my first airshow in 10 months, I can't believe
...Show more

Rusty, my a$$! Those are stellar, James.

The 1DX sensor is a dust magnet, but that's a real bummer to have it arrive in such a state.

May 07, 2013 at 02:42 AM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3695 #10 · p.3695 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

RobMoser wrote:
A few more.

Rob

Woot, Rob: nice work!

And for whatever reason, the color balance issues I normally see with your stuff are absent from this series. Whatever you're doing, don't change a thing!

May 07, 2013 at 02:46 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

RobMoser
• • •
p.3695 #11 · p.3695 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks! Mostly I've given up some of the pseudo HDR stuff

Rob

May 07, 2013 at 03:16 AM
Razor17
• •
p.3695 #12 · p.3695 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

RobMoser wrote:
A few more.

Rob

Well done, Rob. Do you know if Paul is still flying for the KIng Ranch?

Lynn

May 07, 2013 at 03:19 AM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
p.3695 #13 · p.3695 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hey Rob: did you come down to Temple or are those from another show?

May 07, 2013 at 03:23 AM
Razor17
• •
p.3695 #14 · p.3695 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JamesG wrote:
Hi guys,

...Show more

All of them are really nice, which setting did you use for the Mustang T/O roll?

Lynn

May 07, 2013 at 03:27 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3695 #15 · p.3695 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

He must have used "P" for professional.....cuz it is!

May 07, 2013 at 04:09 AM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.3695 #16 · p.3695 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Don't know if you guys saw this, but today Adobe announced that CS6 is the last of the boxed Photoshop software products. All future versions will only be available by monthly subscription through Creative Cloud. Some lively threads over on the post-processing forum, here is the Adobe press release:
http://www.adobe.com/aboutadobe/pressroom/pressreleases/201305/050613AdobeAcceleratesShifttotheCloud.html

No mention of their intentions for Lightroom.

Mark

May 07, 2013 at 05:16 AM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.3695 #17 · p.3695 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Mark,

I've been an Adobe subscriber since CS6 came out so have 1st hand experience of how it works.

I pay a flat fee of 17, incl. tax, each month for a standalone CS6 subscription. The standalone full price of CS6 in the UK is in the region of 700. I could not justify the cost of the full standalone boxed CS6, so was happy to be able to take up the option to get a Photoshop subscription.

When Photoshop CC comes out, I am eligible to upgrade, with no change to my monthly subscription fee - subscriptions are based on a calendar year from when you 1st subscribed.

That's the point a lot of folk are missing - you are subscribing to Photoshop, not a specific version, as under the terms of the subscription you will always have the latest available version of the software.
The cost of the subscription is no more than it would be if purchasing the products as boxed versions under the traditional upgrade cycle - the difference being, you won't need to purchase an upgrade every time a new release comes out if you want to keep your software current.

As for LR, Adobe say they have no plans to make it subscription only.

Mark

May 07, 2013 at 06:06 AM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3695 #18 · p.3695 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Mark...

At $49/mo here, that's $588 which is close to the purchase price of CS6.

If Adobe doesn't offer a significant upgrade each year, then IMO, you're p*ssing away money because most folks are good with a given version for a couple of seasons.

I'm probably missing something or doing the math wrong (I was a broadcasting major after all...) but $1176 for two years of the same product doesn't sound so appealing.

May 07, 2013 at 06:24 AM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3695 #19 · p.3695 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

P-63 King Cobra from Chino 2013

May 07, 2013 at 06:25 AM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.3695 #20 · p.3695 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

FlyingPhotog wrote:
Mark...

At $49/mo here, that's $588 which is close to the purchase price of CS6.

If Adobe doesn't offer a significant upgrade each year, then IMO, you're p*ssing away money because most folks are good with a given version for a couple of seasons.

I'm probably missing something or doing the math wrong (I was a broadcasting major after all...) but $1176 for two years of the same product doesn't sound so appealing.

Jay,

The standalone CS6 subscription is $20/mo.

For $49/mo afaik you get everything - CS6, Illustrator & a whole load of other software.

Mark

May 07, 2013 at 06:28 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password