FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3683      
       3685              4533       4534       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3684 #1 · p.3684 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

http://www.daytondailynews.com/news/ap/top-news/apnewsbreak-faa-to-examine-airport-towers/ndFWf/

WASHINGTON —

A lightning strike that injured an air traffic controller at Baltimore's main airport has exposed a potential vulnerability at airport towers during storms and is prompting Federal Aviation Administration officials to inspect hundreds of towers nationwide, The Associated Press has learned.

The FAA will look for problems with the lightning protection systems for airport towers, where air traffic controllers do the vital job of choreographing the landings and takeoffs of tens of thousands of flights each day.

The FAA told The AP about the planned assessments of the towers' lightning protection systems after responding to a Freedom of Information Act request about the Sept. 12, 2013, lightning strike at the Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport.

The FAA said in a statement that the accident was "the first of its kind in FAA history," and the agency plans on "assessing the condition" of lightning protection systems at the 440 air traffic control towers it is responsible for across the country. In particular, the agency said it will examine lightning protection at more than 200 towers that were built prior to 1978, when the FAA first issued standards for the protection systems.

Feb 06, 2014 at 04:20 PM
Wrei
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3684 #2 · p.3684 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Breakaway Point Fly-in. A lot of round motors and noise!

Feb 06, 2014 at 09:15 PM
Tim Adams
• • • •
p.3684 #3 · p.3684 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Some very cool footage of Darryl Greenamyer setting the prop driven record in Conquest 1, which now sits at Udvar Hazy. Rare Bear then broke it years later at 528 and change.

Feb 07, 2014 at 01:27 AM
JakeB17
• •
p.3684 #4 · p.3684 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I've been a little slow to start posting more photos since I've been busy shooting.

But here are two from a Pacific theater mock dogfight last year.

Wildcat attacking a Val.

In addition, for those who haven't seen it yet, here is one of my favorite aircraft interior photos, the nose of a B-17. http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1269994/

And while I'm at it, some awesome aerial cinematography shot by a colleague of mine.

The first one is of a Texan over Catalina island...

And the second one is a Stearman over the mountains in Oxnard and Ventura...

Feb 07, 2014 at 01:47 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3684 #5 · p.3684 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Nice Jake! The T-6 cinematography is wonderful. Can you give us some technical info on that? Platform, equipment, etc.?

Feb 07, 2014 at 02:41 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3684 #6 · p.3684 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Another FMAO assignment today. Took me over two hours to get downtown, the three hours of outside shooting. Not enough snow to get the feel my client and I were looking for, so it was most likely a preparatory run for when we really get some snow.

Edited on Feb 07, 2014 at 03:01 AM · View previous versions

Feb 07, 2014 at 03:00 AM
ELinder
• • •
p.3684 #7 · p.3684 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jim, there's info in the description of the second video, the link of which should be http://youtu.be/GWWoM38VMio

Erich

Feb 07, 2014 at 03:00 AM
JakeB17
• •
p.3684 #8 · p.3684 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Nice Jake! The T-6 cinematography is wonderful. Can you give us some technical info on that? Platform, equipment, etc.?

I wasn't on set for that one unfortunately, so I don't know all the details.

He did post this though, "We shot the aerials from an Aérospatiale A-Star helicopter, fitted with a Wolfe Air Gyron gyro-stabilized camera mount, containing an Arri Alexa, with an Angenieux Optimo 24-290mm lens. The images were recorded in ArriRaw format to an on-board S-two recorder."

Feb 07, 2014 at 03:03 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3684 #9 · p.3684 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks Jake & Erich. I knew there were some bucks involved in that short production.

Feb 07, 2014 at 03:05 AM
Wrei
• • • •
p.3684 #10 · p.3684 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

FMAO is finding the frozen hot water line under the house, lying on the ground for 20 minutes getting it unfrozen, then rewrapping without gloves...with an 11° windchill temperature.

(Remember, I'm a warm weather guy!)

Feb 07, 2014 at 03:11 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3684 #11 · p.3684 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

You win Wrei, and I was making money to boot!

Feb 07, 2014 at 03:14 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3684 #12 · p.3684 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Wow! These guys have it down!

http://wolfeair.com/about/

Feb 07, 2014 at 03:15 AM
Colin Giersberg
• • • •
p.3684 #13 · p.3684 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jacob, I really like your website. Excellent work.

Feb 07, 2014 at 04:37 AM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
p.3684 #14 · p.3684 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Impressive fleet they have at Wolfeair!

Feb 07, 2014 at 04:43 AM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.3684 #15 · p.3684 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
We have a dozen takers on El Centro already. The five selected will be notified.

Thanks!

I am concerned about this.

There are small aviation photography groups that have been shooting at El Centro for years and lost slots so ISAP could be accommodated. Because he told me, I know what Larry's long-range plans are for places like El Centro and it does not bode well for non-ISAP groups. If ISAP is the premier and preeminent aviation photography group they claim to be, why don't they have the horsepower to arrange their own photography opportunities at El Centro? These existing smaller groups have worked very hard over the year to forge strong relationships with the fine folks at El Centro and should not be negatively impacted by ISAP's desire to provide its members access? Why isn't ISAP/Larry more sensitive and respectful to the smaller groups? And let's not blame this on the PAO's at El Centro. If ISAP/Larry knew their request would result in these other groups losing slots, then ISAP/Larry should have withdrawn out of respect to the smaller groups.

Did anyone or other non-ISAP groups loss access, slots or were otherwise restricted due to ISAP's attendance to Sun-N-Fun this year? I hope not.

Edited on Feb 07, 2014 at 03:03 PM · View previous versions

Feb 07, 2014 at 07:04 AM
JakeB17
• •
p.3684 #16 · p.3684 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Colin Giersberg wrote:
Jacob, I really like your website. Excellent work.

Thanks Colin!

Feb 07, 2014 at 08:04 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3684 #17 · p.3684 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Dear Jeff,

The Blue Angels offered the opportunity to ISAP. My guess would be that they didn't say, "we're bumping other photographers for you". I see your point, but unfortunately it is a fact that in most rare shooting opportunities, there are a limited number of slots. We, as photographers probably rarely think, or are even cognizant of, the person who didn't get the slot, the client, or the assignment that we landed.

Yes, ISAP will have a substantial presence at SNF, and we will have some very special shooting opportunities. Once again, because of the relationships we have built, those opportunities most likely won't go to other photographers. Some might see this as a reason to join and contribute time and talent to the organization.

Feb 07, 2014 at 05:03 PM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.3684 #18 · p.3684 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Dear Jim:

I am familiar with coordinating access at El Centro. There are two general ways it is achieve; through the PAO's office and through an individual squadron. For example, I recently shot at El Centro in coordination with a Harrier squadron from the east coast. While they certainly coordinated with the PAO's office, all access and chaperoning was provided by the squadron. They determined how many folks they could accommodate - not the PAO. When the PAO's office is responsible for a photocall such as the February visit and they provide all the chaperoning and security, then the PAO's office determines the number of photographers they can accommodate.

I offer that background to suggest that if ISAP/Larry have forged a nice relationship with the Blues (something I think is wonderful for ISAP), then the Blues could have easily hosted the ISAP shooters on nearly any day they wanted without impacting other groups.

The fact is that slots have been reduced for this photocall and the only thing that I am aware is different (this year's visit compared to last year) is ISAP's participation. I'm happy for ISAP/Larry to explore and develop relationships that benefit its members beyond the annual symposium. That being said, I also think respect for existing non-ISAP groups is appropriate and would demonstrate ISAP's class and global support for aviation photography at the grass roots level.

Had Larry not told me of his long-range plans for ISAP and photocalls like El Centro, maybe I wouldn't be concerned. I hope I'm wrong about this and my concern is misplaced.

Feb 07, 2014 at 05:04 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3684 #19 · p.3684 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

In the interest of fairness, I looked into this and the email chain surrounding it. Larry was offered this, and the SNF opportunity while he was with The Blues at ICAS. The emails, and Larry's personal account, indicate to me that the additional slots were added because of the request from The Blues, and not taken away from any other groups. We expect several of the team members to attend the symposium. I can only imagine that the relationships we forge will bring about more and more of these opportunities for ISAP members, that's our job as leadership. Personally, most of the board can have these opportunities any time we want them, our motivation is to provide them when we can for people who don't have that level of access.

Feb 07, 2014 at 05:34 PM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.3684 #20 · p.3684 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks for the additional information Jim. I guess this is just a case of ISAP gets added to the photocall, other groups lose slots, and one thing has nothing to do with another.

Regarding the boards work to provide more opportunities for its members, I think that's great. However, if it takes on an approach that this will happens at all costs and that other groups lose their opportunities, I have an problem with that. And that is precisely what Larry was talking to me about.

Feb 07, 2014 at 06:04 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password