Colin Giersberg wrote:
Sweet shot, Jeff.

Thanks much Colin.

Feb 05, 2014 at 04:47 PM
Wrei
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3683 #2 · p.3683 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Depot Maintenance found the F-4 front canopy would not release (eject) into the slip stream when the rear canopy had been previously ejected. (There was a selector valve in the aft cockpit allowing rear seat ejection only.) They added pop-up pins mounted under the forward canopy sill to force the front canopy into the slip stream. The F-4 ejection system had a jillion timed sequences that had to function for a safe ejection. However, if the canopy squib safety pin was not installed and the canopy was up, the seat could fire. That was the last pin we pulled from the ejection system after the crew was strapped in. There were reports of several maintenance guys ejected inside hangers because that pin wasn't installed.

Feb 05, 2014 at 05:19 PM
Wrei
• • • •
p.3683 #3 · p.3683 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hmm...Just back the Land Cruiser and trailer into the cargo bay, strap it down and get on with it. Oh, yeah, and a heck of an air to air platform for multiple shooters! All that for $60 mil!!!

WASHINGTON, Feb 3 (Reuters) - Lockheed Martin Corp on Monday launched the civil variant of its C-130J Super Hercules military transport plane, the LM-100J, saying it expected to sell about 75 of the planes to mining and energy companies, and other commercial and government customers in coming years.

Lockheed said it had asked the U.S. Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) to certify the LM-100J, which will mirror the four-engine C-130J military workhorse, but without military avionics and communications equipment.

"The significance of that kickoff is that we're expanding the capability of the C-130 enterprise into the commercial arena. That opens up a different market to us," said Jack Crisler, vice president of business development for Lockheed's air mobility, special operations and maritime programs.

Crisler told Reuters that Lockheed hoped to land an initial order for the new LM-100J aircraft this summer but declined to provide more details. He said the turboprop plane, aircraft would be priced in the mid-$60-million range.

Feb 05, 2014 at 06:34 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3683 #4 · p.3683 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
In unrelated news, the ship carrying my new Pipistrel docked in Houston overnight. It's getting close...

Want me to go down there and get it for you Zim?

Feb 05, 2014 at 09:02 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3683 #5 · p.3683 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

That would solve all of our air to air problems in one 60 million dollar swoop. Wouldn't we look good all sitting on the extended ramp dangling our feet shooting air to air. Lace up those boots boys and girls, we wouldn't want any FOD now would we?!

Feb 05, 2014 at 09:07 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3683 #6 · p.3683 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Want me to go down there and get it for you Zim?

Sure, Jim: just pop down to the shipping terminal and sign for it. Let me know when you've got it assembled and registered with the FAA.

Edited on Feb 06, 2014 at 01:41 AM · View previous versions

Feb 05, 2014 at 09:57 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3683 #7 · p.3683 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
That would solve all of our air to air problems in one 60 million dollar swoop. Wouldn't we look good all sitting on the extended ramp dangling our feet shooting air to air. Lace up those boots boys and girls, we wouldn't want any FOD now would we?!

Nice one, Jim. I can just about make out my orange vest down there on the ramp...

Feb 05, 2014 at 09:59 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3683 #8 · p.3683 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I can see you down there Zim

Feb 05, 2014 at 10:10 PM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
p.3683 #9 · p.3683 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Howdy folks:

Our resident Jay Beckman and I are putting together an air to air experience / workshop and wanted to put it out to our ma2a family for first dibs. The location will be Columbus Mississippi and the date hasnt been set, but likely in the april-may timeframe. We are actually somewhat flexible so the attendees could help narrow this down based on there availability.

As for the workshop we're looking at a day and a half or two day event. Will include one or two air 2 air photo missions, dawn/dusk statics, post flight image review, and classroom sessions. topics include mission planning, formation safety and risks, pre-flight briefings and pre-flight image planning. We will also discuss camera settings and technique as it pertains to air to air, but we'll presume you know the basics of photography so that will not be a prime point. I want the overall emphasis of the workshop to be on thorough mission planning and flight safety.

Now for what you probably care about - the photo subjects. These will include some or all of the following: Corsair, P51 Mustang, 2-ship T6/SNJ and possibly something very special with 4 engines. Warbirds and their maintenance dont always make themselves available on the schedule we want so nothing is guaranteed. Can probably get aerobatic smoke blowers if that is what you want instead.

The photo platform for this exercise will be the popular A36 Bonanza with the rear doors removed. There could be spots for 2 - 4 people.

If anybody is interested in partcipating please let me know either here or via PM. We would love our first workshop to be with MA2A family.

Glenn

Feb 05, 2014 at 10:19 PM
gerov
• • • • •
p.3683 #10 · p.3683 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

That sounds very exciting Glenn and a fabulous opportunity for all the good people in our MA2A family. I'm pretty sure I won't be able to make it, but want to thank you and Jay regardless for taking the time to put such a workshop together.

Gero

Feb 05, 2014 at 10:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Colin Giersberg
• • • •
p.3683 #11 · p.3683 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Glenn, I am intrigued about this. As the crow flies, Columbus is 125 miles away from me. As the car drives, probably around 175 to 200 miles. Depending on the number of members, I would like to participate. If there are more members wanting to participate in this but have to drive quite a lot further, then I am willing to let them have the chance, however, I would still like to come down for a meet and greet and for some ground to air photo ops.

Feb 05, 2014 at 10:41 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3683 #12 · p.3683 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Sounds great Glenn! Hope the sign up roster fills quickly! Best of luck!

Feb 05, 2014 at 10:42 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3683 #13 · p.3683 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Just wrapped up an outside shoot that began at 9 this morning. Temps in the 20's, winds 15/25, pleasant.........but my "freeze my rear off" surcharge kicked in about 9:05, so that's good.

Sitting comfortably by the fire with my Sweetie, Photoshopping and generating invoices for the rest of the afternoon.

Feb 05, 2014 at 10:50 PM
ELinder
• • •
p.3683 #14 · p.3683 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

That sounds awesome Glenn! Unfortunately I'm trying to figure out how to get to Sun-n-Fun and maybe ISAP and can't do all three. Good luck with it!

Erich

Feb 06, 2014 at 01:33 AM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3683 #15 · p.3683 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Sounds like a great opportunity, Glenn (and Jay). But my April-May dance card is already pretty full, so it would depend entirely on the actual dates.

Feb 06, 2014 at 01:44 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3683 #16 · p.3683 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

ISAP members can look forward to an increasing number of unusual photo opportunities in the future, these will come about because of the relationships we are building on your behalf.

Feb 06, 2014 at 03:01 AM
Ryan Harris
• •
p.3683 #17 · p.3683 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Used Nik Silver Efex for the first time last night. A few of you have seen it already, but I thought I would ask the group's opinion here.

Feb 06, 2014 at 05:04 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3683 #18 · p.3683 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

We have a dozen takers on El Centro already. The five selected will be notified.

Thanks!

Feb 06, 2014 at 05:49 AM
Wrei
• • • •
p.3683 #19 · p.3683 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

We have our first volunteer meeting Sunday for the Central Texas Airshow! Airshow season is on it's way!

Feb 06, 2014 at 02:20 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3683 #20 · p.3683 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Ryan Harris wrote:
Used Nik Silver Efex for the first time last night. A few of you have seen it already, but I thought I would ask the group's opinion here.

Hi, Ryan; good first effort, but here are some suggestions.

Just as an overdone HDR treatment seems fake, pushing the sliders too hard in Silver Efex gives you results that could never be passed off as 'true to life'.

- the first thing that pops out at me is the excessive haloing, you probably need to back off the Structure slider and maybe play with the contrast sliders, too.
- I'd like there to be more tonal range in the skin of the airframe, which looks a bit washed out. Since the numbers on the tail are a nice deep black, the way to approach this is with the color filters controls. Find the color band that darkens the painted stripes and then play with the amount until it looks right.
- in order not to lose the drama in the clouds, you may need to approach the step above as a local adjustment using control points, rather than applying it globally.

Hope this helps...

Feb 06, 2014 at 03:03 PM
1       2       3              3682      
       3684              4533       4534       end

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3682      
       3684              4533       4534       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password