Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3665      
       3667              4344       4345       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3666 #1 · p.3666 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Dear Wrei,

Glad to hear you all are ok. Given the state of this world and the fragility of our existence, you kind of wonder why some folks take that eternal life thing so lightly.........or not at all. I used to scratch my head over that "Many are called, but few are chosen" verse, ........ I don't anymore.

Apr 18, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Wrei
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3666 #2 · p.3666 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jim, I am a guy of few words and simple thoughts, but seeing the devastation from the explosion speaks volumes to me for the misery the town of West is experiencing. Not only because of the lives lost, but the families and futures that have been changed. There is one constant you will find in many of these small Texas towns, and that is they are believers. That is what gives me confidence these wonderful people will find the strength to make it through this tragedy.

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:20 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3666 #3 · p.3666 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Well said Wrei, and isn't that the Strength that allows us to navigate every day and every curve that life throws at us? Under the heading of "it could have been worse" , unthinkable if that would have taken place during school hours.

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:40 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3666 #4 · p.3666 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

BTW, when life goes south, the people I want closest to me are those of Faith, few words and simple thoughts, actually even when life isn't going south!

Apr 18, 2013 at 11:44 PM
Wrei
• • • •
p.3666 #5 · p.3666 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
BTW, when life goes south, the people I want closest to me are those of Faith, few words and simple thoughts, actually even when life isn't going south!

In a word...Yep!

Apr 19, 2013 at 12:06 AM
BillyBlaylock

p.3666 #6 · p.3666 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

First off - I know that this is an aviation themed thread....

But - you guys are an unrivaled collection of photographers and I value your abilities and opinions. Here is the question: The following pic is a quick portrait of a friend's family that looks like it was taken in front of a printed background but was actually taken in front of a pond on his property. I used a single softbox powered with a SB700 camera right with the sun camera left. Is this just a color temperature issue? Is there any way to fix this (if it even needs fixing)? Maybe a 1/4 CTO on the light would have helped some. Or maybe this is all my imagination...

Apr 19, 2013 at 01:08 AM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3666 #7 · p.3666 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I think it's a lovely portrait as is. Clean. Sharp. Level.

Skin tones may be ever so slightly warm of normal, but the angle of the light says golden hour so it's not un-natural looking to my eye.

Apr 19, 2013 at 02:07 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3666 #8 · p.3666 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hi Geaux,

Welcome back! Two thoughts, yes, your cto suggestion would help, and you're going to probably smack your forehead with the next thought, the perfect light for your shot probably happened about 20 minutes after you shot the one we see here. You can avoid all kinds of problems by timing a portrait like this to just a few minutes after the sun drops below the horizon. You can still kick in a little strobe in a soft box if you want to punch it up a little, but once the sun drops, you have a huge natural soft box as your main light. Portraits with direct sunlight are a technical problem, and rarely enhance the subject. In fact, I have a 5'x5' diffusion frame that I can mount to a Matthews stand for situations where schedules won't allow the appropriate time of day.

Next time you're outside at sunset, watch the change that takes place just as the sun sinks and becomes "bounce" light. Sometimes, when you have a really hazy sky, but no clouds, you can get away with a portrait before the sun drops and get pretty much the same effect. None of this will help you fix what you don't like about the existing capture, but put it into practice on the next one and you'll love it.

Good luck!

JW

Apr 19, 2013 at 02:13 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3666 #9 · p.3666 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

And I agree with Jay, there's nothing "wrong" with the shot. I'm just hearing that you'd like it to be more natural looking.

Apr 19, 2013 at 02:14 AM
DanNehmer
• •
p.3666 #10 · p.3666 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Cuz the price don't make it "home", the people do!

A short story on this subject: Couple years ago my cuzin was visiting and we were having a good time enjoying laughs etc. My sister invited us up because Billy had never seen her home, or family in a long time. So we drove up and spent a few hours, and my sister made sure Billy saw all the wonderfulness of her large, new home. Our home by comparison is slightly more than 1/2 as large, well furnished.

On the way home I ask Billy what he thought of my sisters home, etc. "Nice house, but you have warm, wonderful, and inviting home"! Enough said, the people make the home, not the stuff.

Dan

Apr 19, 2013 at 02:19 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3666 #11 · p.3666 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Ever so subtle Elinchrom Ranger in a softbox, subtle to the point you can't tell it's used, unless I hadn't used it. Does that make sense?...............

Apr 19, 2013 at 02:21 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3666 #12 · p.3666 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Right you are Dan, and that was a compliment of the nicest kind from your cuz. I can't begin to tell you the stories of homes I have been in that rival small cities, yet the absence of "home" is glaring. On the other hand, I have a number of clients whose digs run 20,000 aq. ft. plus, and they are "homes" as well, that's pretty cool too. Still "it's the folks". "The "Eye of the needle.." thing is real though, the more money there is, the more the human tendency leans toward self sufficiency and away from dependence on God. Odd delusion though, seeing as how we are dependent upon Him for the next heartbeat, but we humans are a funny lot. Sometime I think He should have quit with the animals...........

Apr 19, 2013 at 02:30 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3666 #13 · p.3666 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

At the opposite end of the portrait spectrum is one like this, five hours of set up and tweaking and four sessions. I love the challenge of portraiture though, lighting is a big part, yet a small part, getting the subject to reveal a glimpse of themselves to you is the magic..............

Apr 19, 2013 at 02:37 AM
DanNehmer
• •
p.3666 #14 · p.3666 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Geaux,

I love the shot, very nice. My only thought would be to bring in just a bit of fill light straight in to soften the shades created by the sun. Set the flash 1 f-stop below, maybe more to not take away the wonderful sun light, just soften the shadow some.

I tried a similar timed portrait a couple months back of our foriegn exchange student Diana just before Home Coming but I hid in the shadow of the house and used two speed lights (one left, one right) to light her and then set camera exposure for the background. Let me know what you think, and C/C is welcome. 2 different crops.

Dan

PS - I resized in Canon DPP and yuk on the sharpness, much better sharpness before brought down to 400kb to fit on page. I need to learn more about how you guys get such nice sharp photos to post on web. Dan

Edited on Apr 19, 2013 at 02:41 AM · View previous versions

Apr 19, 2013 at 02:37 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3666 #15 · p.3666 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Nicely done Dan!

Apr 19, 2013 at 02:40 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3666 #16 · p.3666 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Looks like I'm going to become a genuine LeMans photographer. A new client approached me today about joining the team as photographer of record. Unfortunately I had to decline the first shoot, in Long Beach on Saturday. I'm guessing that kind of gig gets you pretty decent access. Gotta love photography!

Apr 19, 2013 at 02:46 AM
DanNehmer
• •
p.3666 #17 · p.3666 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jim,

You wrote " I have a number of clients whose digs run 20,000 aq. ft. plus, and they are "homes" as well, that's pretty cool too"

Yes, because they remember what is important and where they come from. When humility remains within one's self the $$$ isn't important because it is shared, not shown!

I don't have a fancy camera and try to be a photographer cause it makes me cool, I do it because I want to capture a moment and share it with all. The cameras and stuff are meaningless to me unless I can share it. And that I think is the difference, humbly share gifts/talent versus using it for show.

Dan

Apr 19, 2013 at 02:49 AM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3666 #18 · p.3666 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Portrait dabbler that I am...

Apr 19, 2013 at 02:55 AM
DanNehmer
• •
p.3666 #19 · p.3666 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

And about capturing a moment! Da Girls. See, 10 yr olds and 13 months do slow down for a while.

Dan

Da Girls Napping

Apr 19, 2013 at 02:56 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3666 #20 · p.3666 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

What other vocation opens the variety of doors and offers the experiences that photography does? I can't think of one.

Apr 19, 2013 at 03:06 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password