FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3656      
       3658              4531       4532       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3657 #1 · p.3657 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

There was a story on AvWeb about that. I can't be an unbiased source in that debate because I'm sure I lose a few jobs a year to someone with a Rebel and Quadcopter, or a blimp with something hanging from it. From what I've seen the imagery is just acceptable, but one of the side effects of the dumbing down we've been discussing is the fact that "barely acceptable" is just fine these days.

I have no idea what a person with a Rebel and a drone charges to go to a site, fly and shoot, but if it's less than three or four hundred dollars they are crazy. They'll do to themselves what photographers have done to the stock market. I rarely side with "The Society For The Prevention Of Flight" (FAA), but one reason I can see for limiting commercial use of drones for photography is that a bunch of the folks who would jump on, would not pony up for the liability insurance. I have heard that it is not only difficult to secure, but pretty pricey if you are able. A quad with a 5D hanging from it has the potential to be lethal if something goes south.

Aren't the feds busy these days though, sleep apnea, considering prohibiting most non high end flight sim use, and several other initiatives. I thought they were so underfunded and short handed they can't take care of what is already on their plate. No secret that they and the airlines, would like to see GA relegated to the scrap heap, and warbirds to static displays. Given the level of government overstep these days, they just might be able to get it done without so much as one of their patronizing "Notice of Proposed Rule Making".

Edited on Jan 11, 2014 at 05:15 AM · View previous versions

Jan 11, 2014 at 01:14 AM
Tim Adams
• • • •
p.3657 #2 · p.3657 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

18 minutes of Unlimited Gold fun.

Jan 11, 2014 at 01:15 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3657 #3 · p.3657 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

No Cubbin' today...................

Jan 11, 2014 at 02:15 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3657 #4 · p.3657 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Firmware updates to all the 1DX's and the D800's. complete. Not a tremendously difficult process, but a little spooky because if something doesn't go right, all the warnings indicate that the body becomes toast and has to be sent back to CPS/NPS.

Jan 11, 2014 at 05:27 AM
yipDog
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3657 #5 · p.3657 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

170 landing at Coolidge

Jan 11, 2014 at 04:22 PM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.3657 #6 · p.3657 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

yipDog wrote:
170 landing at Coolidge

I really like the B&W conversion on this image Rob. It certainly compliments the looks of this clean 170. Well done sir

Here some information on the image below that I found interesting. The LTJG Bruce Carrier award is named after an aviator who experienced a tragic list of misfortunes during what should have been a routine flight off the coast of the Philippines.

In 1975, LTJG Carrier’s A-4 Skyhawk had a hydraulic failure as he returned to the deck of the USS Hancock. Unable to lower his flaps, the Air Boss decided that it was too dangerous to land aboard the aircraft carrier and instructed LTJG Carrier to divert to nearby NAS Cubi Point. During the divert, he was unable to get his right landing gear down, and was told to return to the ship to land. While trying to refuel during his return trip back to the aircraft carrier, the A-4’s refueling probe broke off, leaving him without enough fuel to make it to the ship. Without any other options, he attempted to eject, however the ejection mechanism failed. Finally, LTJG Carrier was told to climb as high as possible and bail out, but unfortunately he ran out of fuel and was killed when his aircraft crashed into the ocean.

This catastrophic event highlights the importance of a quality maintenance department and VFA-147 was honored to be the recipients of such a meaningful award in 2012.

Jan 11, 2014 at 05:46 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3657 #7 · p.3657 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Gee, the poor guy.

Jan 11, 2014 at 06:05 PM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.3657 #8 · p.3657 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Gee, the poor guy.

Isn't that the truth Jim; clearly not his day.

That being said, when your time is up, there is little one can do to avoid the heavenly call to come home.

EDIT: TOPP

Jan 11, 2014 at 06:23 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3657 #9 · p.3657 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Yikes, Murphy was working overtime that day.

Jan 11, 2014 at 06:39 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3657 #10 · p.3657 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

In unrelated news, I got word this morning that the my new plane, in its container, is now docked at the port of Genoa, Italy. Starting on December 16 in Ajdovscina, Slovenia, the container so far has been transported on a truck and three different ships, ships that have docked in Koper, Slovenia; Damietta, Egypt; Cagliari, Sardinia; and three ports along the west coast of Italy. That's about three thousand sea miles, so far. But at the same time it's managed to travel less than 300 air miles from where it was built, and it's still a long damn way from Colorado.

Jan 11, 2014 at 06:49 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jeff W.
• • • •
p.3657 #11 · p.3657 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Goodness gracious Steve, it reminds me of the football player that runs 110 yards (sideline to sideline) just to gain 5 yards. Do you get some kind of patch or sticker for the new plane from every port/city it visits?

Jan 11, 2014 at 07:56 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3657 #12 · p.3657 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Probably not. But I will take a photo of the stickers on the container, when it gets here.

Jan 11, 2014 at 08:41 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3657 #13 · p.3657 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

OK, here's a really tough one (if you don't already know what it is): Guess What?

?PHPSESSID=a4tui1fjrcilamggki2d6e20l5

Note: not my photo!

Jan 11, 2014 at 08:45 PM
Aero_70

p.3657 #14 · p.3657 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Is it a balloon bursting?

Jan 12, 2014 at 12:11 AM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3657 #15 · p.3657 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

You guessed it. A bunch of school kids sent a balloon to the edge of space with two Hero3 video cameras aboard. One was pointed up at the balloon, and it captured this frame as the balloon burst.

http://spaceweather.com

Jan 12, 2014 at 01:43 AM
ELinder
• • •
p.3657 #16 · p.3657 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thank God for cameras with dual card slots. About 9.5 hours and almost 1,000 pics into shooting today's horse competition my D4 threw up an error message saying the CF card was unreadable or some such. I was shooting RAW onto the primary XQD card and JPG onto the CF card. My Lexar Pro 1000x card is dead as the proverbial door nail. When I put it in the card reader the light doesn't even light up saying it's trying to read the card.

Today's lesson: if it's important, have a backup at every possible point!

Erich

Jan 12, 2014 at 02:08 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3657 #17 · p.3657 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

That's exciting Zim! Keep us posted.

Jan 12, 2014 at 04:22 AM
Aero_70

p.3657 #18 · p.3657 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
You guessed it. A bunch of school kids sent a balloon to the edge of space with two Hero3 video cameras aboard. One was pointed up at the balloon, and it captured this frame as the balloon burst.

http://spaceweather.com

Science class is a whole lot cooler than when I was in school!

Jan 12, 2014 at 04:41 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3657 #19 · p.3657 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Sorry Erich, that's the scary side of this digital thing. I programmed all my bodies to record to both cards months ago, too many quirks with memory cards. I've go two 32GB CF's on their way back to Lexar for warranty exchange as we speak. Can't say for certain, but it seems more failures/corruptions happen when I'm utilizing the 1DX's fastest frame rate.

Jan 12, 2014 at 04:42 AM
Aero_70

p.3657 #20 · p.3657 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Are CF more prone to issues than SD/USB or other forms of flash memory? I am purely a hobbyist (but sure wish that my camera's helped to support the habit). So if a card fails I just loose whatever I happened to get pics of on that day. I am only accountable to myself and not a client.
I have SD cards that have been through the laundry, two that are cracked in half and scotch taped together and they have been fine.

Thanks
Paul

Jan 12, 2014 at 05:08 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password