FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3650      
       3652              4532       4533       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

gerov
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3651 #1 · p.3651 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Beautiful Nick. I think I could spend a long time, if not a lifetime, appreciating the old cathedrals inside and out. Nicely done on the exposure on this one.

Gero

Jan 03, 2014 at 11:11 PM
nickjohnson
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3651 #2 · p.3651 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
"And they're off….!" First shoot of 2014 is under my belt and on the way to the EII archive vault

Hey, not so fast …. I've only just got the Christmas decs stowed away.

Great News!

Oh, and no surprise about the Phase One thing …. I knew something was going down – what with all the RRS ball head stuff.

Jan 03, 2014 at 11:12 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.3651 #3 · p.3651 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

" target="_blank">For Jim and you other RC fans....

Jan 04, 2014 at 12:26 AM
BKeroack

p.3651 #4 · p.3651 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

NASCAR is a great way to practice panning! (See if upload works)

710P0370 48 practice by r_keroack, on Flickr

710P0322 Earnhardt pan 1 - Copy by r_keroack, on Flickr

Jan 04, 2014 at 12:30 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.3651 #5 · p.3651 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Sure thing Erich... we've got temps heading down to -17 on Monday and some more snow coming too. Thankfully I can do cold a lot better than I do hot.

ELinder wrote:
I'll trade you our +10F and over a foot of snow for your -2F.

Erich

Yup Mark, I got good training there growing up and being out in it all day long, either shoveling for my grandparents or out playing hockey and snowball fights and ice skating on the ponds.

msalvetti wrote:
Stay warm Laura! I'm going back out, as the snow up here has just about stopped. We probably have around one foot, but it was so cold the snow is really light. We were lucky - maybe 10-20 miles from here some towns got two feet. It was around 0F last night, and now it's 7F but windy.

In this part of the country, it's usually not very cold when it snows. They are talking about this being one of the coldest major storms on record. Tonight there are forecasts for -35F in northern NH, we'll probably get down to -5.
...Show more

Thanks Jeff, I finally added a layer today, wasn't too bad for the short time I was out there.

Jeff W. wrote:
Stay warm and safe Laura. Same to all my cold MA2A friends. We are much blessed here in sunny AZ.

Jan 04, 2014 at 12:34 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3651 #6 · p.3651 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Welcome BK!

Jan 04, 2014 at 12:44 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3651 #7 · p.3651 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

You're most welcome Nick! Always glad to be a help, but I think you have this nailed. Nice work. Slight tweak here.........

Jan 04, 2014 at 12:49 AM
mikegeng
• •
p.3651 #8 · p.3651 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jim, saw your note about what I assume is Arlington Camera having the medium format stuff. I have done some serious business with them along with your usual place in Dallas. Both stores are the best I have seen anywhere and actually head and shoulders above 99% of them. Nothing in all of Atlanta can touch those two. Eugene is my favorite to deal with, but he doesn't carry one of the brands I shoot with either.

Jan 04, 2014 at 01:15 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3651 #9 · p.3651 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hi Mike,

No, interestingly enough, the dealer is one I have never heard of. Competitive has been hounded by Phase One, but they have no interest. My guess is when you're talking that kind of investment, a dealer has lots of money on the shelf, very slow turn over and a thin margin. Why mess with it?

There's no way, with back ups and accessories, you would have 100 grand in the system. If I'm going to invest that kind of money in a camera system, I want to be sold hard by the company, and feel the same level of confidence that I felt when I picked up the first 500 C/M set up. I wasn't good with it, but I had no doubt about it's capabilities and the fact we were going to become a great team. Unfortunately, as we've said, that ship has sailed. Now it's kind of up to the Phase One folks to convince me their gear is worth half an Aston. If they end up taking the Hasselblad, "we're Hasselblad...." approach, then I'll remain unconvinced an happy with my D800's until something else comes along. If, on the other hand, they actually "sell" and I'm convinced of the capabilities, I'll be all over it. I need to talk to another half dozen P1 owners too, to get their impressions.

"Drill Baby Drill....." A new client that will have me all over the globe this year..........

Edited on Jan 04, 2014 at 03:04 PM · View previous versions

Jan 04, 2014 at 05:07 AM
astrobrian
• • •
p.3651 #10 · p.3651 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

BKeroack wrote:
NASCAR is a great way to practice panning! (See if upload works)

Nice shots of Jr and Jimmie, looks like Richmond.

Jan 04, 2014 at 05:08 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jeff W.
• • • •
p.3651 #11 · p.3651 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
"Drill Baby Drill....." A new client that will have me all over the globe this year..........

Jim - I've always wondered about your work-related globe trotting. If/when you fly commercial to these far-flung locals, how do you transport all your gear? Are you trusting a stack of Pelican cases to the bag throwers? I'm guessing your taking more that what can be handled by carry-on - maybe not?

Jan 04, 2014 at 12:51 PM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.3651 #12 · p.3651 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jim,

thanks for the recommendation for the Stellar Phoenix recovery software.
After 30hrs or so of running, all files were successfully retrieved off the external portable hard drive.

Mark

Jan 04, 2014 at 02:53 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3651 #13 · p.3651 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Good Morning Jeff,

I keep camera bodies and a couple of essential lenses with me up top, along with my laptop. The rest of my gear, four cases of strobes/power packs, reflectors/grids, three cases of quartz lights, two cases of stands/tripods, a case or two of filters/light modifiers, and two rolling LowePro cases, one Nikon, one Canon, oh yeah a razor and a toothbrush This requires a big rolling cart, and sometimes two.

My Elinchrom gear is all packed in large rolling Pelican/Tundra cases now. Every case is carefully calculated to be right at the 50 lb. limit.

I have a new client in the southeast that says they'll need me all over Florida for 20+ assignments in the coming year. My over baggage on those round trips will run around $500.00 a leg. During one of our initial planning sessions I proposed buying an identical set of eight Elinchrom RX's, eight light stands, a set of incandescent/quartz lights and just leaving them in Florida. It will take roughly 8 trips to amortize the cost and then they'll be saving a grand on subsequent assignments. I'll always have a planning session in the same local before I go to the actual locations, so I can leave the gear there.

As far as protection goes, the Lightware and Tundra cases have proven to be up to the task. I have my longer glass in Lightware long lens cases, which I then pack in Lightware Cargo Cases just for added cushioning.

Jan 04, 2014 at 02:58 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3651 #14 · p.3651 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

You are welcome Mark, great news. It does take a long time, and the files lose the designations we're used to, but all in all it's a life saver. There have only been one or two occasions where S-P hasn't worked because the cards were fried.

I was down at Competitive a few days ago and a Secret Service Agent came in lamenting the corruption of a SanDisk CF. The pictures were of some politician he had been protecting. I gave him the S-P tip, hope it works for him as well.

Jan 04, 2014 at 03:03 PM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.3651 #15 · p.3651 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Good Morning Jeff,

I keep camera bodies and a couple of essential lenses with me up top, along with my laptop. The rest of my gear, four cases of strobes/power packs, reflectors/grids, three cases of quartz lights, two cases of stands/tripods, a case or two of filters/light modifiers, and two rolling LowePro cases, one Nikon, one Canon, oh yeah a razor and a toothbrush This requires a big rolling cart, and sometimes two.

My Elinchrom gear is all packed in large rolling Pelican/Tundra cases now. Every case is carefully calculated to be right at the 50 lb. limit.

I have a new
...Show more

Wow Jim - sounds like you have it down to a science. Your photography is one art form and your logistics another. It is especially impressive to me that you are a solo act skinning carts through a busy airport terminal. You need to teach McNally your method, he'd have a handful of assistants in the mix. I'm sure you could save Joe a few pesos

Jan 04, 2014 at 03:07 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3651 #16 · p.3651 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks Jeff! Certainly there are times when a couple of Sherpas would be appreciated. I was halfway to my Hertz SUV a few years ago, in the middle of the Vancouver airport parking lot, when the bar holding the front wheels on a new cart just snapped off. The welds were crummy I guess. Some nice guy offered to watch the cart while I went to get the SUV. The client had a complete fabrication shop so fixing it correctly wasn't a big deal, but when that broke, I sure could have used and assistant.

I don't work with assistants for several reasons. Certainly it would make my life easier in many cases. Honestly, I am not a delegator, never have been. That's a good and bad thing. I feel like, in most cases it takes more time to tell someone what you want done, than it does to just go do it yourself. I guess I'm a control freak as well. When I do it myself, I know just where to look if something doesn't go the way I had hoped. The flip side of that is that I know everything has been done to assure that things do go as planned. There's an economic component too, assistants double/triple airfare, hotel, food costs. My airfare is almost always walk on, like $1,200 to O'Hare, $1800 to Boston. Start doubling or tripling that in a quote and pretty soon clients start thinking about finding "local talent", not something I like to encourage.

You lose that "I'm a big dog, look at all my minions" aura with my method, and I'm sure their back and knees feel better at the end of the day (although Joe get's regular injections and is putting off full knee replacements), but it's too late in the game to change now. Truthfully, I work much more efficiently alone, and I solve problems better without the distraction of additional people. I guess it's just one of those things that I've found works well for me, so I don't mess with it.

I can tell you that there is no shortage of willing assistants if anyone is needing the help, I get no fewer than a dozen calls and or emails a week from guys and gals inquiring about the possibility of assisting.

Jan 04, 2014 at 03:49 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3651 #17 · p.3651 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Evidence that God retains His sense of humor.....................

http://news.investors.com/ibd-editorials/123113-684747-warming-researchers-trapped-in-antarctic-sea-ice.htm

Jan 04, 2014 at 03:50 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3651 #18 · p.3651 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Gotta go meet some clients/friends for lunch and an HQ tour. Have a great day!

Jan 04, 2014 at 03:51 PM
BKeroack

p.3651 #19 · p.3651 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Correct, Richmond it is! Just about an hour away, but credentials made it a very productive trip for a few years. I hope to get back to it this year after having to skip it in '13.

Jan 04, 2014 at 04:13 PM
BKeroack

p.3651 #20 · p.3651 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thank you, Jim. The quality of photography on this thread is tremendous! I hope to be able to hang out at the local airport this spring on occasion, and see what may come and go. If the airshow at the Navy base this year does not conflict with work, I'll make that as well.

Jan 04, 2014 at 04:16 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password