Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3647      
       3649              4282       4283       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3648 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I'll tell you what, Kevin Eldridge and I have been friends for a couple of decades and that guy is one sharp stick, but he's blessed with nine lives as well. I photographed him bailing out of the Super Corsair at the Phoenix 500 Air Races in the early 90's. He caught his foot in between the seat and the canopy rail, was 90% out in the slip stream with the Corsair trailing 100' of orange flame and black smoke, broke a number of things as he got bashed against the fuselage, managed to get free as the plane plummeted into the GM proving grounds. He deployed his chute at a ridiculous altitude and it barely in filled as the poor guy hit the ground. I was the shooter for the event so they rushed me out there to document the whole thing, not pretty. He is a great guy, and obviously very lucky.

Apr 08, 2013 at 08:54 PM
kwoodard
• • • •
p.3648 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

mikeengles wrote:
Hello

Thanks for the page jump tips.
The 3 dots does not work for me, possible browser problem, but the url number does work.
Obvious really!

Mike Engles

If you have Java disabled on your computer, then the ... will not work. Least you have a work around.

Apr 08, 2013 at 08:59 PM
Tim Adams
• • • •
p.3648 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
I'll tell you what, Kevin Eldridge and I have been friends for a couple of decades and that guy is one sharp stick, but he's blessed with nine lives as well. I photographed him bailing out of the Super Corsair at the Phoenix 500 Air Races in the early 90's. He caught his foot in between the seat and the canopy rail, was 90% out in the slip stream with the Corsair trailing 100' of orange flame and black smoke, broke a number of things as he got bashed against the fuselage, managed to get free as the plane plummeted
...Show more

That's a very common mistake. Different last name spelling. Eldredge on the NXT. Happens all the time.

Apr 08, 2013 at 10:27 PM
jj_glos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3648 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Fly navy

Prescott Bike Festival 2013 by jj_glos, on Flickr

Apr 08, 2013 at 10:40 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3648 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I got up before dawn today, rousted Jay out of bed to take me to the airfield and lit out for home at first light, and a good thing, too: I felt the deteriorating weather nipping at my heels the whole way to Colorado. Jay, driving back to Phoenix, reported winds gusting to 50 and a sky obscured with blowing dust an hour or two after I departed. I saw plenty of blowing dust myself: the whole north end of the San Luis Valley was obscured and Ship Rock was enveloped in a wall of dust that reached up from the desert floor to the rotor clouds downwind of the Chuska Mtns. I got tossed about and saw my altitude vary from 10,500 to 9,000 and then 12,800 (I nearly got sucked into a rotor cloud) within the space of a minute or two, and there was very little I could do about it: one second I had the throttle firewalled, the next at idle. Thankfully, things settled down a little after that and I made it home (in record time) safe and sound. We're now battening down the hatches for the major snowstorm that comes on the heels of all that wind. Yes, folks, it's springtime in the Rockies!

Photographic evidence of a wild ride attached. I had to push the sliders pretty hard to get anything like full tonal range in this rendering: the unedited camera file shows a rectangle of nebulous, mottled blue-gray.

Edited on Apr 08, 2013 at 11:20 PM · View previous versions

Apr 08, 2013 at 10:53 PM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3648 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
I'll tell you what, Kevin Eldridge and I have been friends for a couple of decades and that guy is one sharp stick, but he's blessed with nine lives as well. I photographed him bailing out of the Super Corsair at the Phoenix 500 Air Races in the early 90's. He caught his foot in between the seat and the canopy rail, was 90% out in the slip stream with the Corsair trailing 100' of orange flame and black smoke, broke a number of things as he got bashed against the fuselage, managed to get free as the plane plummeted
...Show more

That's a legendary and somewhat infamous incident out here...

Didn't know you had a connection Jim.

Apr 08, 2013 at 11:05 PM
david russell
• • •
p.3648 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
I got up before dawn today, rousted Jay out of bed to take me to the airfield and lit out for home at first light, and a good thing, too: I felt the deteriorating weather nipping at my heels the whole way to Colorado. Jay, driving back to Phoenix, reported winds gusting to 50 and a sky obscured with blowing dust an hour or two after I departed. I saw plenty of blowing dust myself: the whole north end of the San Luis Valley was obscured and Ship Rock was enveloped in a wall of dust that reached up from
...Show more

Steve, if you turn this one into something that you are happy with, I'd like to put a copy on my mountain home. It reminds me of racing in Utah and has a great story behind it.

Apr 08, 2013 at 11:22 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3648 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

david russell wrote:
Steve, if you turn this one into something that you are happy with, I'd like to put a copy on my mountain home. It reminds me of racing in Utah and has a great story behind it.

I think it will print well and I can clone out the wing, but I'll get back to you, David. When you say 'on my mountain home', how big are we talking?

Apr 08, 2013 at 11:53 PM
david russell
• • •
p.3648 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
I think it will print well and I can clone out the wing, but I'll get back to you, David. When you say 'on my mountain home', how big are we talking?

I like little homes Steve...1300 square ft....as for the size of the photo...let's talk about that.

Apr 09, 2013 at 12:13 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3648 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Wow Zim! That's the kind of stuff I love to fly in..................at 510 looking down on it! That image is wonderful!! How did you take that while attempting to dislodge your seat cushion from where it must have been stuck?!!

Apr 09, 2013 at 12:28 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3648 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Butch stopped by HQ this morning to ask me if I wanted to fly the King Air to Kansas with him, returning late tomorrow or Wednesday morning. Couldn't do it due to assignments, but I pictured the weather we'd be coming home in and double passed on that opportunity.

Apr 09, 2013 at 12:40 AM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3648 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Toto, you're not in Colorado anymore!
Zim on short final in my neck of the desert...

Apr 09, 2013 at 01:17 AM
cbrandt
• • •
p.3648 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Beautiful day in Md so I slipped out to the airport to see what was going on this afternoon - drove up as the Army Chinook was leaving - turned out the only reason it had been here 3 days is that it had mechanical problems -- with the arrangement of the planes on the tarmac, wasn't able to shoot much of what was there leaving .. did find the following though ..

Eclipse EA500

United States of America - ARMY ( How do you find registry on gov planes )?

These folks are going to have a good resume for the corporate world I imagine - young man in the pilot seat, young lady co-pilot.

Then this " catfish " was at the other end of the airport waiting on passangers - took on a ton of fuel - when this big ole tinted SUV pulled onto the ramp - engines immediately started ..

2007 PIAGGIO P180 registered out of Clearwater, Fl

and the one that got away .. topped off with 500 gallons .........

and this one was out and about in the morning the Flight Line told me, but I was out of town - missed it too ;(

Edited on Apr 09, 2013 at 01:56 AM · View previous versions

Apr 09, 2013 at 01:52 AM
Razor17
• •
p.3648 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
...Show more

I was in the Merlin Magic pit and filmed it as well, from a distance it still wasn't pretty...

Lynn

Apr 09, 2013 at 01:55 AM
Razor17
• •
p.3648 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

nrferguson wrote:
Spitfire F Mk.XIVe RN201 owned by Tom Blair and based at Kissimmee, Florida. Ex. Belgian AF as SG-31.

Apparently the supposed Griffin engine is a fake.
Niall

Thank you, I thought he sold everything...

Lynn

Apr 09, 2013 at 01:56 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3648 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Nice work Curtis!

Apr 09, 2013 at 02:55 AM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3648 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Wow Zim! That's the kind of stuff I love to fly in..................at 510 looking down on it! That image is wonderful!! How did you take that while attempting to dislodge your seat cushion from where it must have been stuck?!!

Thanks, Jim. This one is a 'spray and pray' gift from heaven. I shot it blind and one-handed out the right side window, with my wrist resting on the camera bag I had strapped in the passenger seat. Mostly, I was just hoping the camera wouldn't fly out of my hand and hit the cabin ceiling. There wasn't a lot of light, either. How's that saying go: 'ISO 1600 and be there'?

I think the D800's high bit-depth sensor deserves a lot of credit: there was very little contrast in the scene, but superior bit depth allows it to be teased out in post.

Apr 09, 2013 at 03:17 AM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3648 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

One does not like to hear that a camera bag in the right seat is more helpful than a friend...

Apr 09, 2013 at 04:53 AM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3648 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

FlyingPhotog wrote:
One does not like to hear that a camera bag in the right seat is more helpful than a friend...

You're too tall, Jay.

Apr 09, 2013 at 02:09 PM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3648 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Well there's a first!

Apr 09, 2013 at 02:50 PM
       3649              4282       4283       end

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell