Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3626      
       3628              4277       4278       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3627 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I shot a GV until late last night. The final perspective was of the aft baggage compartment. After I had it captured I realized that a Gulfstream would make a wonderful photo ship. The aft baggage compartment is stand up, and about 5'x7'. The baggage door pops in and slides up. It would be pure comfort and you would only be a few steps from a big leather captain's chair and the refreshments for the ride home. Speed would never be a problem again and it only costs a little more than the B25 to run. The initial acquisition would be a bit steep

Mar 29, 2013 at 03:54 AM
jcmedeiros
• • •
p.3627 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

astrobrian wrote:
Collings B-17

beautiful shot

Mar 29, 2013 at 04:11 AM
yipDog
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3627 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Well geez Jim! There seems to be a few seats in there! How many members could you get to chip in a couple hundred...I mean... couple hundred-thousand dollars! HaHa!

Mar 29, 2013 at 04:13 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3627 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

On the subject of why I think you don't give away trade secrets to just anyone who asks, or a room full of folks who would like your job. This is a new client and a number of photographers from around the country were bidding on the assignment. Dollar wise my bid was double the nearest one and triple a couple of them. We had to get very creative with several perspectives because of some technical problems with the aircraft systems, it took some thought, experience and ingenuity. There was no possibility of another opportunity, the jet had passed it's "cold soak" earlier that day and the owner was headed to the blue water at first light. When I shook the client's hand and thanked him in the wee hours, he smiled and said, "there's no doubt in my mind that we picked the right photographer for this assignment!" Makes you feel good about the three decades of hard work invested in developing a style and a depth of techniques that are difficult to derail with a few technical hiccups.

Mar 29, 2013 at 04:22 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3627 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Oh yeah Yip,

We could get five people to chip in 5K a piece and have a great time shooting in the lap of luxury. As far as creature comforts, it is at the other end of the universe from my beloved B 25. I guess I could market it as "The luxury air to air experience" If we wanted to own it the tab would be a little higher, but look at the depreciation we could take, no one would have to pay Washington a cent for the rest of their natural days!

Mar 29, 2013 at 04:26 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3627 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Just noticed the banner at the bottom of this page, it's my shot!

Mar 29, 2013 at 04:31 AM
astrobrian
• • •
p.3627 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Dollar wise my bid was double the nearest one and triple a couple of them.

Like you say, you can't under bid yourself for the sake of getting the gig. This would be a textbook example of that in practice. The results speak for themselves.

Mar 29, 2013 at 04:33 AM
astrobrian
• • •
p.3627 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Oh yeah Yip,

We could get five people to chip in 5K a piece and have a great time shooting in the lap of luxury. As far as creature comforts, it is at the other end of the universe from my beloved B 25. I guess I could market it as "The luxury air to air experience" If we wanted to own it the tab would be a little higher, but look at the depreciation we could take, no one would have to pay Washington a cent for the rest of their natural days!

NMA2A for the tail? It's not showing up as taken

Mar 29, 2013 at 04:37 AM
astrobrian
• • •
p.3627 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Awesome on the banner shot Jim, congrats sir.

Mar 29, 2013 at 04:39 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3627 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks Brian. Three decades plus, the kick never goes away, it never gets old. The photographer gets old, but seeing your work pop up doesn't.................

Mar 29, 2013 at 04:46 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jan-Arie
• • • •
p.3627 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Glenn Watson wrote:
yeah I really feel for you!

I'm a little surprised nobody is interested but i understand - P51 Mustangs arent THAT cool!

You know if !! i win the Lottery I'm going to buy a house right next to you and stalk you all day long
Any chance you can give the name of the P51 you are going to do?
I think there aren't that many MATA members in that area... Good luck with your flight Ill be watching here...

Mar 29, 2013 at 09:06 AM
Jan-Arie
• • • •
p.3627 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Looking sharp Mr Wilson one of these days when I grow up I'm going to buy me one

Mar 29, 2013 at 10:49 AM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
p.3627 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Something I would really love to do, but there's a boatload of homework to do still.

Glenn Watson wrote:

Last call invitation to join me on a p51 air to air april 6th in California....base out of San Carlos and shoot in Watsonville/Hollister area....pm me for details if anybody wants to come along..

picture this, but a Mustang..

http://www.machpointoneaviation.com/img/s4/v10/p1394034892.jpg

Glenn

Mar 29, 2013 at 11:37 AM
Wrei
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3627 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

From FB this morning:

Found the story: http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/texas/txdot-to-pay-to-keep-13-small-airport-towers-open

Guess TX still believes in self reliance!

Mar 29, 2013 at 01:18 PM
Jan-Arie
• • • •
p.3627 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Wrei wrote:
From FB this morning:

http://eddiewreispix.zenfolio.com/img/s8/v76/p1506024708-3.jpg

Found the story: http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/texas/txdot-to-pay-to-keep-13-small-airport-towers-open

Guess TX still believes in self reliance!

http://www.txdot.gov/inside-txdot/media-room/news/statewide/014-2013.html
Airports that could receive state funding to continue safe operations include:

New Braunfels (BAZ); Brownsville (BRO); Easterwood Field College Station (CLL); TSTC Waco (CNW); Lone Star Executive Houston (CXO); Georgetown Muni (GTU); San Marcos Muni (HYI); Dallas Executive (RBD); Sugarland Regional (SGR); Stinson Muni San Antonio (SSF); Collin County Regional (TKI); Tyler Pounds Regional (TYR); and Victoria Regional (VCT)

So It seems that Jim's field is keeping its tower operational

Mar 29, 2013 at 02:29 PM
Leo Hursh
• • •
p.3627 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Glenn Watson wrote:
yeah I really feel for you!

I'm a little surprised nobody is interested but i understand - P51 Mustangs arent THAT cool!

Mustangs ARE that cool Glenn! It's a bit too far of a hop, skip and jump from South AL though, at least on my budget.

I too am looking forward to the images you bring back.

Have fun and be safe!

Mar 29, 2013 at 03:11 PM
Jeff W.
• • •
p.3627 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

My fine associates. Once again I humbly stand upon my soapbox to further promote a charity effort on behalf of the men and women of NAF El Centro. 100% of all proceeds from the sale of this book go directly to benefit the NAF El Centro charity. Considering the impact "sequestration" is having upon our military, this is your opportunity to support them. In return, you will receive the wonderful book described below. Sales have progressed well thus far - but we can always do more. I want to thank all of my MA2A comrades for their support to date and encourage all to consider additional participation.

Post Script - While I love the hard bound version, I want you to know that the ebook ($9.99 USD) actually creates the largest contribution to the NAF El Centro charity per book sale than any other version (no printing costs). It looks great on your iPads and downloads slick as a whistle

http://store.blurb.com/ebooks/379339-the-out-of-towners

Mar 29, 2013 at 04:39 PM
Razor17
• •
p.3627 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
I shot a GV until late last night. The final perspective was of the aft baggage compartment. After I had it captured I realized that a Gulfstream would make a wonderful photo ship. The aft baggage compartment is stand up, and about 5'x7'. The baggage door pops in and slides up. It would be pure comfort and you would only be a few steps from a big leather captain's chair and the refreshments for the ride home. Speed would never be a problem again and it only costs a little more than the B25 to run. The initial acquisition would
...Show more

Or be like Mark Cuban and buy it on the internet...

Mar 29, 2013 at 07:39 PM
Razor17
• •
p.3627 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Zane Adams wrote:

A little something from Love Field this weekend.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8249/8594647168_2d05f3c246_b.jpg

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8225/8588424796_5fb6f80f5e_b.jpg

Well done Zane, did you get a chance to talk with Jim??

Lynn

Mar 29, 2013 at 07:49 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3627 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Further musings concerning the new Nikon 80-400 VR. I'm absolutely convinced of the quality of the lens for fixed subjects; however I haven't had much luck at all with panning. Now, mine is not the greatest panning technique on this forum, far from it, but I usually manage to get a decent hit rate at any reasonable shutter speed...and sometimes I get lucky with the not-so-reasonable shutter speeds, too. But so far I haven't managed a decent shot of anything in motion at less than 1/400 sec when shooting at the longer focal lengths.

It may be a combination of the lens and the D7100, both of which are new to me, but since I'm getting good results with static subjects I tend to rule out the camera and its AF system. My sense is that the VR during panning isn't managing itself very well: the subject judders around in the frame and I never have a sense of 'locking on' the subject as the mirror slaps up and down during a burst. Nikon's normal VR mode is supposed to recognize panning and only correct in one axis, but I have my doubts.

Here's one of my static successes: a robin going about its lawful occasions. The first image is a moderate crop from a 24mp D7100 frame, handheld. The second is a 1:1 crop that reveals the D7100's tendency to produce Moire patterns (like the D800E, it has no optical low-pass filter). BTW, I'm shooting JPGs at the moment because none of the Adobe products yet has the ability to deal with the D7100's RAW files.

NIKON D7100    80.0-400.0 mm f/4.5-5.6 lens    400mm    f/5.6    1/250s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Mar 29, 2013 at 09:44 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password