FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3626      
       3628              4532       4533       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3627 #1 · p.3627 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I agree with that Jay. When Zim and I are out hunting A2G images, we are control freaks. The only "luck" involved is the happenstance of light and shadow, but even that is closely controlled by the timing of our flight. I much prefer to put myself where I need to be in the A2G situations, rather than have someone attempt to put me where they think I want to be. Much more time gets burned making passes trying to hone in on the proper composition, and of course the nausea thing.

We all could have captured the same or better and I prefer to deposit the "crap ton" so I can buy cool stuff. Looking at all the gear it took to do it that way, one could buy a pretty nice photo platform instead. Come to think of it, it probably wasn't any colder for that shoot than Zim's Rocky Mountain A2G sorties, ya just gotta man up and go get 'em.

Nonetheless, that photographer had his goals and techniques, and we have ours. There are lots of ways to get to a destination, photographically or otherwise. I like more control, more precision, less luck, it has worked well so far, so I'll stick with it.

Dec 11, 2013 at 02:03 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3627 #2 · p.3627 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

It's always interesting to see the makings of something like that. You never know when a light bulb will come on and add something to your bag of tricks. You kind of wonder why they just didn't pull the door off the 180 and go for it though. Sure would have given them a lot more flexibility Scott Slocum has experimented with a remote camera in the tail of the A36, but I got the impression that he too felt like it was an abdication of precision and compositional control. Shooting remotely, especially A2G, you have to depend a lot on "dumb luck" or make a bazillion passes, because by the time you joystick compose and zoom, the subject has gone by.

Dec 11, 2013 at 02:09 PM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.3627 #3 · p.3627 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I sent my dad the link to the BTW video yesterday and he just sent me an email asking; "Why didn't they just take the door off?" When he owned the 206, that is exactly what he did for shooting A2G. Since I'm clearly the least knowledgeable of the MA2A family on A2G and A2A, I have the luxury of looking at a variety of techniques without the filter of practical experience. For me, ignorance is often bliss

Dec 11, 2013 at 02:46 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3627 #4 · p.3627 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I've enjoyed reading everyone's comments concerning the 100th Meridian project. My own (random) observations:

- I'm a big fan of serendipity.
- Who was it that said, "Luck favors the prepared mind."?
- I like flying with the door off.
- I am reluctant to cede control of any aspect of a shoot I can control. There are already plenty of things I can't.
- If I can't get the shot I want on the first two passes, I move on...unless there's a reason to suspect the third pass will be materially better.
- It's easier to shoot out the left side than the right, for ergonomic reasons.
- Having another pilot in the right seat enhances safety and can be terrifically useful, especially if they are also a photographer.

That said, I have equipped my new, soon-to-be-shipped-from-Slovenia Pipistrel Virus SWiS with a large sliding photo window in the left door. It just gives me another arrow in the quiver.

Dec 11, 2013 at 03:35 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3627 #5 · p.3627 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jeff W. wrote:
I sent my dad the link to the BTW video yesterday and he just sent me an email asking; "Why didn't they just take the door off?"

I like your dad.

Dec 11, 2013 at 03:38 PM
tom cardin
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3627 #6 · p.3627 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Now, that's a photographer. I tell everyone, that JW, is the real thing, and these images prove it

Tom.....

Dec 11, 2013 at 05:27 PM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3627 #7 · p.3627 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Lost in the "Plain" discussion was the fact that I'm still chasing my jaw across the floor due to Jim's GV and Architecture posting(s)...

Dec 11, 2013 at 06:15 PM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.3627 #8 · p.3627 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
I like your dad.

You and me both Steve. As he approaches 90 he doesn't get around as much as he used to, but he is still one of my very best friends and I take every chance I get to go shooting with him.

Dec 11, 2013 at 06:23 PM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.3627 #9 · p.3627 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

FlyingPhotog wrote:
Lost in the "Plain" discussion was the fact that I'm still chasing my jaw across the floor due to Jim's GV and Architecture posting(s)...

Ain't that the truth Jay. I'm still trying to decide which is more opulent - the GIV or the North Texas abode. Did you notice in one of the GIV images a laptop with a photo of a fine Chris Craft-like power boat cutting a classy wake across a wonderful body of water (i.e. Lake Tahoe). I'm guessing if you can afford one, the other is not a problem. BTW Jim, nice touch on the laptop inset imagery

Dec 11, 2013 at 06:25 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.3627 #10 · p.3627 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I saw that power boat image too, and I was about to ask Jim about it.

Jim, isn't that also one of your photos from that series you took a couple of years ago? Did you deliver the GIV image to the client that way, or did they ask for something specific for that screen? I imagine if it didn't happen this time (that the client asked for a specific image), it often does?

Edit: Darn, top of page. Here's something from this summer. At least it's flying. A hummingbird moth:

7D, ISO3200, 1/8000 to freeze the wings, bare 100-400:

Same combo, ISO6400, 1/4000

Would have liked a bit more wing blur, but handheld those didn't come out well.

Mark

Edited on Dec 11, 2013 at 06:37 PM · View previous versions

Dec 11, 2013 at 06:30 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3627 #11 · p.3627 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

FlyingPhotog wrote:

Because that Cub shot is chopped liver...

Dec 11, 2013 at 06:35 PM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3627 #12 · p.3627 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
Because that Cub shot is chopped liver...

I prefer to think of that shot as thinly sliced and lightly grilled...

Dec 11, 2013 at 07:26 PM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.3627 #13 · p.3627 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

A bit of a crop, but this bad boy was running away from my 100-400L at some serious speed. Nevertheless, I'm a sucker for after burners.

Interesting factoid I learned while shooting the Strike Eagles. They were launching with full AB until they got to the EOR. They'd then peddle out of AB until the gears were fully retracted, then throttle right back to full AB and complete their climb to altitude. In speaking with a fellow shooter that works the Luke tower, he said it is to avoid damaging the gear doors on takeoff. Apparently the F-15 can accelerate so quickly that it reaches a speed that could damage the retracting gear doors before they are fully closed. Talk about horsepower - WOW!

Edited on Dec 11, 2013 at 07:50 PM · View previous versions

Dec 11, 2013 at 07:39 PM
Jan-Arie
• • • •
p.3627 #14 · p.3627 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Nice Catch Jeff is that a so called slam eagle?

Dec 11, 2013 at 07:47 PM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.3627 #15 · p.3627 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jan-Arie wrote:
Nice Catch Jeff is that a so called slam eagle?

That is my understanding JA. They are F-15SGs from the Republic of Singapore Air Force participating in an exercise at Luke this month.

Dec 11, 2013 at 07:49 PM
Colin Giersberg
• • • •
p.3627 #16 · p.3627 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

This might become another image editing program for some here. Watch the video to see some examples.

http://www.wimp.com/designtechnology/

Dec 11, 2013 at 08:36 PM
Colin Giersberg
• • • •
p.3627 #17 · p.3627 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

And for those that want the thrill of skydiving, but without the cost or danger....

http://www.wimp.com/skydivingbudget/

Dec 11, 2013 at 08:43 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3627 #18 · p.3627 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I see plenty of danger.

Dec 11, 2013 at 09:34 PM
futurshox
• • • •
p.3627 #19 · p.3627 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Here's some helicopter pilots who understand the physics of pendulums: http://kottke.org/13/12/helicopter-xmas-tree-harvest

Dec 11, 2013 at 10:54 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3627 #20 · p.3627 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks Guys, if I can still make a jaw here drop every once in a while, I might just still have my edge Yes, the Mahogany runabout is one of my shots. Sometimes I drop in some stock where I think it is appropriate. I was working with the designer that evening so I asked if they liked it and got two thumbs up.

The gentleman who owns the Gulfstream works two days a week now and every Wednesday he lights it up and heads to the blue water to clear his mind. Nice regimen

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:05 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password