1       2       3              3624      
       3626              4533       4534       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevezzzz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3625 #1 · p.3625 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Colin Giersberg wrote:
Uhhhh Steve, shouldn't RSS be RRS for Really Right Stuff? Just wondering.

Doh! Again.

Dec 10, 2013 at 02:48 PM
Bill Gass
• • • •
p.3625 #2 · p.3625 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Ya, get it right ! -

Dec 10, 2013 at 04:12 PM
MMcGrath
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3625 #3 · p.3625 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Colin Giersberg wrote:
Mark, Really Right Stuff has no retail stores. You order right from the factory, and the order may ship out out the same day if they have the ballhead in stock. I believe that they alternate production on their different items based on demand.

Colin,

Thanks for the info. I've sent them an email asking the question if they will ship to either a hotel or a Fedex / UPS office that offers the hold for collection service.

Mark

Dec 10, 2013 at 05:17 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3625 #4 · p.3625 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

In the NYT Magazine I found this article, "Life Along the 100th Meridian", with a photo essay by Andrew Moore. He has his own pilot and an empty landscape so a lot of this work is shot at far lower altitudes than I can safely manage myself, where I do both the flying and the shooting. Does anyone know who backed this project? Two guys, a $200/hr airplane and an expensive remote camera rig adds up to a lot of dollars...

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/08/magazine/life-along-the-100th-meridian.html

I wonder why (aside from creature comfort) he decided to use the robotic gimbal, instead of going hand-held?

Dec 10, 2013 at 07:38 PM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.3625 #5 · p.3625 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
In the NYT Magazine I found this article, "Life Along the 100th Meridian", with a photo essay by Andrew Moore. He has his own pilot and an empty landscape so a lot of this work is shot at far lower altitudes than I can safely manage myself, where I do both the flying and the shooting. Does anyone know who backed this project? Two guys, a $200/hr airplane and an expensive remote camera rig adds up to a lot of dollars...

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/08/magazine/life-along-the-100th-meridian.html

I wonder why (aside from creature comfort) he decided to use the robotic gimbal, instead of going hand-held?

Very cool imagery Steve. Just my opinion, but I suspect Messrs. Moore does this to ensure he does not have any interference with the wing or strut encroaching into his photographs. It facilitates him capturing an image as he approaches instead of always torquing backwards to avoid the strut/wing. I also think he prefers to see his work immediately on the larger screen of his laptop rather than chimping on the back of his Phase One. I'm guessing he's got about $50,000 to $75,000 worth of camera, lens, 80MP digital back, and gimbal goodies hanging off that strut. Not a bad way to shoot A2G landscapes

Dec 10, 2013 at 10:12 PM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3625 #6 · p.3625 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

All I took away from the BTS video was:

"We spent a crap-ton of money on gear for this shoot but we lucked into the best stuff..."

<shrug>

In all honesty, projects done on the uber expensive just to say they were done, leave me cold and kind of disinterested.

Dec 10, 2013 at 10:38 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3625 #7 · p.3625 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks for sharing that Zim, very interesting. I must be set in my ways or something, but I like to have much more control over the image capture, without all the joysticks etc. I'd like that rig for altitudes, mountain ridges, freezing temps though. Very similar rig to the gentleman I spoke with a few years ago from the U.K, Adrian Warren. I think I posted a link to his work at the time. His wife emailed me a year or so after we spoke to tell me that her husband had discovered a spot on his ear, turned out to be Melanoma which he battled valiantly to the end.

http://www.lastrefuge.co.uk/data/LRP_aviation_main.html

We had talked about him building me the same set up for my Skylane. The tab was 18K and about six months of build time, but he got too sick to think about a project.

Dec 10, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Bill Gass
• • • •
p.3625 #8 · p.3625 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

What's that castle or rock building at 1:51 ?

Dec 10, 2013 at 10:47 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3625 #9 · p.3625 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

If we get a 429, I could see picking various locales and spending a week or two shooting perspectives that would make you tear up. One idea I've had is basing out of Monterey CA, and shooting the PCH coastline between there and Big Sur. Can you imagine having that platform, and that kind of beauty at your disposal. I know several guys that would capture stuff that would make your dog weep (James Taylor) if they had those opportunities. And, if we have a 429, they will have those opportunities, cuz I ain't going alone..........

Dec 10, 2013 at 10:54 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3625 #10 · p.3625 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Definitely brings Hasselblad to mind again. Too bad they don't have a marketing department. On that subject, I just had a discussion with a photographer who shoots the HD-50. He says the imagery is pretty spectacular, but the fact that the sensors are good for 100,000 exposures max, and if any repairs are needed you can expect a base tab north of ten grand, doesn't appeal to me much. He also mentioned that the autofocus is not as advertised, slow and unpredictable compared to what we are used to with our gear. All in all, not a testimonial that would have me running to the nearest Blad "boutique".

Dec 10, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3625 #11 · p.3625 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

RRS just sent me a tracking number on my order from last night, pretty speedy service.

Dec 10, 2013 at 11:17 PM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.3625 #12 · p.3625 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

FlyingPhotog wrote:
All I took away from the BTS video was:

"We spent a crap-ton of money on gear for this shoot but we lucked into the best stuff..."

<shrug>

In all honesty, projects done on the uber expensive just to say they were done, leave me cold and kind of disinterested.

I guess I see it another way Jay. We all generally bring our best tools with us on a shoot. Some simply can afford more and better tools than others. I think the luck part is simply the dynamics of shooting a static subject on the ground from a moving airplane at a low AGL, not every frame is going to be a keeper. To me it looks like this rig allows the photographer and pilot to collaborate and craft precisely the image desired. Sometimes I bet that does not reveal itself until they have made several passes.

I can only assume that the "forward looking" aspect of his gimbal arrangement gives the photographer the option and/or advantage to capture imagery that he and/or his client desires. It is no different that when Jim does architectural work compared to when I do it. His lighting resources easily overwhelm my humble set-up. Unfortunately, any gear debate always seems to avoid what I believe is the most important factors - talent, skill and vision.

I'm guessing I could take most of Jim's lighting equipment away from him and he'd still produce superior architectural photographs for his clients. In fact, that is probably exactly what he had to do in the early years of his career. Don't get me wrong, I want the best equipment I can afford, but IMHO that will never overcome a deficit in talent, skill and vision.

I give this photographer credit for finding an innovative approach to taking these photographs.

Don't forget my brother, compared to most everyone else at an AzAP photocall, you are the guy that "spent a crap-ton of money on gear". All that great gear not withstanding, it is your talent that separates you from other shooters. I prefer to admire this photographers vision and skill to create some terrific images.

Dec 10, 2013 at 11:51 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3625 #13 · p.3625 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

A very reasoned analysis Jeff....and just about all of us have spent a ton on gear, a ton is a relative thing. The photographer did a good job and, for the time being this is still a free country, so we get to pay our money and take our chances with our talent and vision. I just much prefer looking through my viewfinder and controlling exactly what I'm capturing. I think Zim would concur, while occasionally you get surprised by a capture, you generally know when you have locked on to a striking composition and having hands on the camera and lens focal length allows a spontaneity that the remote set up doesn't offer.

Truthfully, that set up, and the repeated circling passes would have me green in very short order. The guy did a good job, and I saw snow drifts along the taxiway a couple of times, so he would have been freezing using my techniques. We each have our own vision and technique, and the freedom to exercise them, the proof is in the final product.

Dec 11, 2013 at 01:21 AM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.3625 #14 · p.3625 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

A Singapore Viper on final into Luke.

Dec 11, 2013 at 01:23 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3625 #15 · p.3625 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Oh, and I think if we take a 429 to Big Sur, or Monument Valley, that would definitely come under the heading of a "crap ton of money"..... But then, who cares........

Dec 11, 2013 at 01:26 AM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.3625 #16 · p.3625 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

For me, the 1DMkIV I recently picked up represented "a crap-ton of money". But it let me catch this shot of my daughter. I know my 7D wouldn't have been as clean and there would have been a good chance it would have missed focus. I love this camera.

1DMkIV, 70-200II, ISO1600

I don't think I ever shot one of her looking right at me like this. Too bad I caught some of the stanchion on the left, but you can only lean so far over the boards. A few weeks before she actually hit me with a puck when I hung in there longer than was sensible to try to get a shot (I can usually sense when I need to duck). Luckily it was just a graze.

Mark

Dec 11, 2013 at 03:23 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3625 #17 · p.3625 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Nice shot Mark, the IV is a camera a guy can love for sure. Way to go on the puck hit, you are deeply into the "do you want the shot, or not?" brotherhood.

Speaking of...................

Dec 11, 2013 at 03:27 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3625 #18 · p.3625 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Gives "First Class" a new meaning....................

Dec 11, 2013 at 03:33 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3625 #19 · p.3625 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Aerodynamic grace....................

Dec 11, 2013 at 03:40 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3625 #20 · p.3625 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

iStock must have their ducks in a row these days. I sent them a half dozen images an hour ago and the first two acceptances just popped up. That whole deal has proven to be worth the frustration early on.

Dec 11, 2013 at 03:50 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password