FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3623      
       3625              4531       4532       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevezzzz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3624 #1 · p.3624 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Start near the bottom of page 3995 and read to the end...

Dec 09, 2013 at 08:01 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3624 #2 · p.3624 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Zane Adams wrote:
Iced Song Sparrow from the weekend.

Wow, that's beautiful, Zane!

Dec 09, 2013 at 08:03 PM
azbill
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3624 #3 · p.3624 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jeff W. wrote:
Love that angle on the Strike Eagle Bill. Nice work, especially considering the iffy conditions you had today.

Thanks Jeff!

Dec 09, 2013 at 08:29 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3624 #4 · p.3624 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Thanks to Jay for pointing out this article about an insider's tour of Canon's lens factory and headquarters. Fascinating stuff. But still photography lenses seem to get short shrift in this discussion, and still camera bodies don't come up at all. It's all about the Cinema, baby...

http://library.creativecow.net/kaufman_debra/Canon_2013/1

Dec 09, 2013 at 08:31 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3624 #5 · p.3624 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

It is indeed Zim. They must feel that the Cinema market will pay big dividends because they sure aren't paying a great deal of attention to us. I've considered an EOS Cinema product, but the product lines are so mixed, and the updates and technology seems to be advancing so rapidly, I just don't think the investment is worth it at this point for me. They were going to demo a "C" body to me around AFW time, but they never got back to me and I was too busy to call them about it.

Dec 09, 2013 at 10:28 PM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.3624 #6 · p.3624 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Steve / Jim,

Are there any retail outlets that do RRS stuff?
I might be interested in pairing one of those ball heads up with my Gitzo tripod, but don't fancy trying to arrange shipping to the Mandaly Bay next week.

Dec 09, 2013 at 10:37 PM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3624 #7 · p.3624 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
Thanks to Jay for pointing out this article about an insider's tour of Canon's lens factory and headquarters. Fascinating stuff. But still photography lenses seem to get short shrift in this discussion, and still camera bodies don't come up at all. It's all about the Cinema, baby...

http://library.creativecow.net/kaufman_debra/Canon_2013/1

The cutaway of the 200-400 though is rather mind boggling...

Dec 10, 2013 at 12:07 AM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3624 #8 · p.3624 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

The Big Kahuna...
Hawaiian Airlines Boeing 767-300 takes the active at Sky Harbor

Dec 10, 2013 at 12:09 AM
Ryan Harris
• •
p.3624 #9 · p.3624 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

If the elliptical pair look vaguely similar to a Spitfire, that's because I've read that the wing and tail shape were modeled directly after it. RJ Mitchell got it right the first time and I'm not sure a prettier wing shape has come along since. I love the laminar flow of a Mustang, but that Spitfire elliptical is pure grace in my mind. The British have designed some questionable airplanes in the looks department through the years, but the Spitfire is certainly not one of them.

Dec 10, 2013 at 12:59 AM
Colin Giersberg
• • • •
p.3624 #10 · p.3624 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Mark, Really Right Stuff has no retail stores. You order right from the factory, and the order may ship out out the same day if they have the ballhead in stock. I believe that they alternate production on their different items based on demand.

Edited on Dec 10, 2013 at 03:14 AM · View previous versions

Dec 10, 2013 at 01:20 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3624 #11 · p.3624 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jay, you have a way of bringing three dimensions to an image, consistently. You are quite simply, an exceptional artist.

Dec 10, 2013 at 02:01 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3624 #12 · p.3624 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Just put a few bucks into RRS's bank account. Looking forward to what certainly must be a finely made precision tool. For the past hour I have been trying to determine exactly what Gitzo tripod I own. The center column data plate is still readable, but nowhere on the tripod itself can I find a model number. I'm perfectly happy with it, and it seems to be as solid as a rock, but I wanted to do some comparisons.

I think the mounting plate that attaches to the camera bottom will add quite a bit of stability to the whole rig. Compared to the small quick release plates I use with the Gitzo head, RSS's plates are substantial.

Mark, I'm sure they would be happy to ship your gear anywhere you are going to be. There was something in the order process that indicated they require a few extra security steps from first time customers, particularly ones who are having their gear shipped to an address other than the one on their credit card.

Dec 10, 2013 at 02:15 AM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3624 #13 · p.3624 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Colin Giersberg wrote:
Mark, Really Right Stuff has no retail stores. You order right from the factory, and the order may ship out out the same day if they have the bullhead in stock. I believe that they alternate production on their different items based on demand.

Don't you just hate it when AutoCorrect steps in where it's not wanted? I had to re-re-recorrect 'ballhead' a dozen times yesterday.

Mark, don't hesitate to have RRS ship to your hotel: if they have it in stock their standard shipping will get it there by next week easily. Whatcha doin' in Vegas?

Dec 10, 2013 at 03:02 AM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3624 #14 · p.3624 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
The center column data plate is still readable, but nowhere on the tripod itself can I find a model number. I'm perfectly happy with it, and it seems to be as solid as a rock, but I wanted to do some comparisons.

I think the mounting plate that attaches to the camera bottom will add quite a bit of stability to the whole rig. Compared to the small quick release plates I use with the Gitzo head, RSS's plates are substantial.

Jim, for my money, ditching the center column is what gets you the biggest step up in stability. You can hang weights from your rig to stabilize the sticks, but the center column will still be as sturdy/wobbly as it ever was.

Dec 10, 2013 at 03:07 AM
Colin Giersberg
• • • •
p.3624 #15 · p.3624 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

And I proof read this before posting.

Dec 10, 2013 at 03:15 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3624 #16 · p.3624 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Good point Zim. The center column on my Gitzo seems to be rock solid. Do you think I'd find a difference if I went solid? I'm not having the motion issues you and I chased around for a while. Worst scenario is in a jet, with flexible flooring, workers shaking the fuselage, etc. I'm getting tack sharp stuff. I've never liked flipping vertical with a platform head, especially the restriction when the arms hit the sticks, or the base. I think I'll really like the ball head. Sure hope so, as you pointed out, they are proud of their gear. I never mind that if the quality is there.

Dec 10, 2013 at 03:39 AM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3624 #17 · p.3624 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

It's just physics and mechanics, Jim: there's no way a column can be as stiff as a tripod. The best you can do is limit the issues by keeping the column extension as short as possible, even if you have to extend the last, skinny section of your tripod's legs. This increases the natural frequency of column vibrations and reduces the vibratory amplitude: both are Good Things.

Are you investing in L-Plates, too? That's the best way to go portrait mode on a tripod. With the RRS quick clamp on top of the ball, you don't have to disturb the setup of your ballhead and it takes only a couple of seconds.

Edited on Dec 10, 2013 at 02:48 PM · View previous versions

Dec 10, 2013 at 05:29 AM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3624 #18 · p.3624 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Jay, you have a way of bringing three dimensions to an image, consistently. You are quite simply, an exceptional artist.

TY <blush>

Dec 10, 2013 at 08:20 AM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.3624 #19 · p.3624 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
Don't you just hate it when AutoCorrect steps in where it's not wanted? I had to re-re-recorrect 'ballhead' a dozen times yesterday.

Mark, don't hesitate to have RRS ship to your hotel: if they have it in stock their standard shipping will get it there by next week easily. Whatcha doin' in Vegas?

Vacation Steve. I arrive Saturday, leave on the 23rd.

Dec 10, 2013 at 08:36 AM
Colin Giersberg
• • • •
p.3624 #20 · p.3624 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Uhhhh Steve, shouldn't RSS be RRS for Really Right Stuff? Just wondering.

Dec 10, 2013 at 12:52 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password