p.3548 #1 · p.3548 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

-LMAO

Oct 09, 2013 at 07:20 PM
Jeff W.
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3548 #2 · p.3548 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
i have a number of very dynamic air to airs of Charlie that haven't been scanned. I'll send them off and post them forthwith. I just had the film/digital discussion with one of my new clients. I equate it with the people who still like vinyl v. CD's, purely a personal preference. Occasionally i hear someone wax nostalgic about vinyl, all I can recall is the hours spent with anti-static guns, cloths, solutions, and still hearing pop and snap.

Having been a very early adopter of digital, i was aware of it's limitations, using it in those situations where it offered
...Show more

I agree with you 100% Jim. When I informed my dad I was going to add a medium format film camera to my tool box, he nostalgically smiled and also laughed. Even an 85 year old retired pro shooter understands that digital is how you put food on the table today, creative film photography is what you pursue with the $$$ you make shooting digital. I'm twice blessed as I don't need my cameras (digital or film) to bring home my bacon. While I make a few humble $$ shooting architectural and real estate, I'd thin-out quickly if that was my only source of bread money.

My sortie back to film is in response to some creative emotions that have been tugging at my heart - nothing more and nothing less.

Edit for TOPP. From the archives...

Oct 09, 2013 at 07:38 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3548 #3 · p.3548 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

And that is exactly what you should do Jeff. I look very forward to seeing the results, although somewhat ironic that you'll have to turn them back into digital to share them

The "Asian Guy in Columbus" reference was re: the guy I did the cash/Halliburton case swap at the baggage carousel when I flew in for The Gathering of Mustangs. Wish I could have given you that deal instead. Three grand for 50K in Blad stuff, and I was ecstatic to get it!

Edited on Oct 09, 2013 at 07:58 PM · View previous versions

Oct 09, 2013 at 07:49 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3548 #4 · p.3548 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Bryan Martin was telling me a story from his ATC days in the Navy. One night he was handling carrier ops in the Pacific off California when a Harrier lost all electrical returning to the ship. Black as pitch, out over the ocean, this poor Navy jock tried to solve his problem and put it back on the carrier. Finally Bryan said he told him he was headed to shore, a runway, any runway. He made it to Miramar, or El Centro, got out of his plane, went to the commander's office and handed him his wings. Apparently flying a Harrier at night out over the Pacific, with a flashlight in his teeth, was his threshold.

Oct 09, 2013 at 07:57 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.3548 #5 · p.3548 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Bryan Martin was telling me a story from his ATC days in the Navy. One night he was handling carrier ops in the Pacific off California when a Harrier lost all electrical returning to the ship. Black as pitch, out over the ocean, this poor Navy jock tried to solve his problem and put it back on the carrier. Finally Bryan said he told him he was headed to shore, a runway, any runway. He made it to Miramar, or El Centro, got out of his plane, went to the commander's office and handed him his wings. Apparently flying a
...Show more

And then there are those pilots that become astronauts. This reminded me of a story I read about Jim Lovell:

When I asked Lovell to comment on the navigation aspects of the Apollo missions, he began by reminiscing about his early days at the Naval Academy, when the only forms of navigation were celestial and dead reckoning. To illustrate his near-earth navigation skills, Lovell recounted an experience he had in the Sea of Japan in the early 1950s. He was flying a night combat air patrol in an F2H Banshee off of the aircraft carrier USS Shangri-La under adverse weather conditions. Three planes were involved, and all were to rendezvous at a particular point. At the time, navigation was accomplished with an Auto Direction Finder signal broadcast from the carrier. For some reason, the first two planes acquired the correct signal, but Lovell's instrument homed on a signal that was being broadcast from Japan. Needless to say, he failed to make the rendezvous and found himself circling, lost in the darkness. Being somewhat of an inventor, Lovell had designed a lighted knee-board for use in the aircraft. He plugged the device into the instrument panel to consult his list of radio frequencies, whereupon something shorted out and left the cockpit in total darkness. Although this added to the frightening aspects of the mission, it actually saved his life. When he looked down, he was able to discern a faint phosphorescent trail caused by the carrier's screws churning the algae in the water. He followed the trail right back to the carrier. As he came to the end of the story, Lovell smiled and said that it would have been a non-issue with GPS.

Oct 09, 2013 at 11:22 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.3548 #6 · p.3548 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
i have a number of very dynamic air to airs of Charlie that haven't been scanned. I'll send them off and post them forthwith. I just had the film/digital discussion with one of my new clients. I equate it with the people who still like vinyl v. CD's, purely a personal preference. Occasionally i hear someone wax nostalgic about vinyl, all I can recall is the hours spent with anti-static guns, cloths, solutions, and still hearing pop and snap.

Jim, when I think of vinyl, I think of listening to a Mobile Fidelity pressing of Sgt. Pepper. As the orchestra tails away at the end of A Day In The Life, when you turn it up, you can actually hear the creaking of the wooden chairs the musicians are sitting in at Abbey Road Studios. That nuance is nowhere to be found on the CD.

Looking forward to seeing your scans, and Jeff, really looking forward to seeing what you create with your skills and vision. I think Jim's analogy is perfect - there is a certain nuance to film. Maybe a warmth that is almost impossible to recreate with digital.

That said, I had drifted away from photography, and if it wasn't for discovering digital (when I bought a 10D in 2003), I don't think I ever would have come back.

Mark

Oct 09, 2013 at 11:35 PM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3548 #7 · p.3548 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

msalvetti wrote:
And then there are those pilots that become astronauts. This reminded me of a story I read about Jim Lovell:

When I asked Lovell to comment on the navigation aspects of the Apollo missions, he began by reminiscing about his early days at the Naval Academy, when the only forms of navigation were celestial and dead reckoning. To illustrate his near-earth navigation skills, Lovell recounted an experience he had in the Sea of Japan in the early 1950s. He was flying a night combat air patrol in an F2H Banshee off of the aircraft carrier USS Shangri-La under adverse weather conditions.
...Show more

Tom Hanks, as Jim Lovell, tells this story in an "interview" in the movie Apollo 13

Oct 10, 2013 at 12:41 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3548 #8 · p.3548 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Amazing isn't it?

Oct 10, 2013 at 01:16 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3548 #9 · p.3548 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Oct 10, 2013 at 01:17 AM
Chainshot
• •
p.3548 #10 · p.3548 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

http://www.avweb.com/avwebflash/news/Mooney-Sold-To-Chinese-Company-Report220708-1.html

Oct 10, 2013 at 01:24 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3548 #11 · p.3548 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

When the smoke clears the Chinese will hold sway over our aviation industries. Cirrus, Lycoming/Continental, Mooney, and countless others. I don't know if it's a bad thing or not, but they are buying us up at break neck speed.

I shot the last campaign for Mooney, but they were dead in the water when we did that one.

Oct 10, 2013 at 01:50 AM
ifxbonz
• • •
p.3548 #12 · p.3548 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Spent three hours gelling windows, tweaking lights, adding/subtracting, I think I'm there on this image......

Super nice Jim. Did you use any fill here, or is this's all ambient ?
Makes you want to lie down and catch some z's

IDE like to take some lessons.
Let me know when you come to Fla next time.
Andy

Oct 10, 2013 at 02:54 AM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3548 #13 · p.3548 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

104 Images from Oshkosh on the website...

http://crosswindimages.com/p716442266

Oct 10, 2013 at 05:31 AM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3548 #14 · p.3548 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Greetings from beautiful Tuscany. After another incredible dinner that started in the cucina at 4 and ended after 10:30, I had a dream last night that I bought the P-51 'Gunfighter'. The thing I looked forward to most was flying on Jim's wing in his Mustang. The only thing left unresolved as I awakened was when I would be able to schedule some training time at Stallion 51.

Most of my dreams are not this good. I think it's the Tuscan influence.

Here's another crappy iPhone pano, this time of Firenze from Piazzale Michelangiolo.

Oct 10, 2013 at 07:32 AM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.3548 #15 · p.3548 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

@Jim - Your night shot of the helo (500D ?) and moon is tremendous

Velvia or digital?

Oct 10, 2013 at 01:14 PM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.3548 #16 · p.3548 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

FlyingPhotog wrote:
104 Images from Oshkosh on the website...

http://crosswindimages.com/p716442266

Super portfolio from Osh Jay. My three favorites are the 4 ship Aeroshell night shot, the RedBull helo panning shot, and Julie Clark bifurcating the firework blasts. That being said, they are all excellent

Oct 10, 2013 at 01:22 PM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.3548 #17 · p.3548 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
Greetings from beautiful Tuscany. After another incredible dinner that started in the cucina at 4 and ended after 10:30, I had a dream last night that I bought the P-51 'Gunfighter'. The thing I looked forward to most was flying on Jim's wing in his Mustang. The only thing left unresolved as I awakened was when I would be able to schedule some training time at Stallion 51.

Most of my dreams are not this good. I think it's the Tuscan influence.

Here's another crappy iPhone pano, this time of Firenze from Piazzale Michelangiolo.

I had a different dream Steve. I dreamed you were laying on your back atop a large set of scaffolding painting the roof of Jim's hangar ala Michelangelo. Kind of an aviation themed Sistine Chapel effort

Oct 10, 2013 at 01:26 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3548 #18 · p.3548 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jeff W. wrote:
I had a different dream Steve. I dreamed you were laying on your back atop a large set of scaffolding painting the roof of Jim's hangar ala Michelangelo. Kind of an aviation themed Sistine Chapel effort

I gave up painting ceiling frescos: the plaster drips in your eyes.

Oct 10, 2013 at 03:01 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3548 #19 · p.3548 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

You Guys crack me up Great dream Zim, hope it's a harbinger!

Andy there are a half dozen lights/light modifiers in that image, along with neutral density gels on the windows and a few other hard won techniques. The client flipped when they saw it, and put 15 more projects on my plate.

Thanks Jeff! That is a 1Ds MKIII capture with a 500L, lit with strobes. Funny how your technique and equipment evolves, I could really make that image sing today.

So Zim, should I have the scaffolding ready for your mural?

Oct 10, 2013 at 03:08 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3548 #20 · p.3548 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

No biz jet images to share with you from last weekend. Gunny and I had a brief conversation with the pilot and quickly discerned that his formation "experience" was largely a figment of his imagination consisting of some single engine "in trail" stuff. It was a race to see who pulled the plug first, me or Gunny. I think Gunny won, looking at the expression on his face. You can die doing this stuff ya know!

Oct 10, 2013 at 03:15 PM
1       2       3              3547      
       3549              4531       4532       end

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3547      
       3549              4531       4532       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password