1       2       3              3516      
       3518              4530       4531       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevezzzz
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3517 #1 · p.3517 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Leo Hursh wrote:
I'm sure you know this, but don't forget that the 17-55 is equivalent to 25-82 on a full frame.

Something doesn't sound right. I thought you couldn't mount an EF-S lens on an EF-mount body...?

Sep 16, 2013 at 10:48 PM
cbrandt
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3517 #2 · p.3517 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

WHOA Leo ......... aren't you thinking about the crop camera ....... ??

and .............. your gonna get that hood shadow ..... need to start at 26mm

but I could be wrong Below is a lens mismatch ....... I grabbed the wrong camera body

This is the 17-55mm on the D700 full frame ..

Edited on Sep 16, 2013 at 11:11 PM · View previous versions

Sep 16, 2013 at 10:53 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3517 #3 · p.3517 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

You can't have 51's without a Six Zim. And yes, that one has been at Lance, waiting for us.

Edited on Sep 17, 2013 at 01:07 PM · View previous versions

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:06 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3517 #4 · p.3517 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Chris Luvara wrote:
Thanks.

I was at Pylon 5. It's a lottery pylon and it's one of the normal spots so you have to take the opportunity when you're name is drawn. It has the best light of the whole course.

Chris

Sweet! Beautiful light and great results, Chris.

Sep 16, 2013 at 11:06 PM
Leo Hursh
• • •
p.3517 #5 · p.3517 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I should have worded it a bit better...

I believe that Erich is shooting Nikon gear and said he has the 17-55 mounted on a D7100. It would have a similar field of view to a 25-82 (35mm terms). While it might be preferable to shoot a 24-70 on the D4, he already has a similar focal range with his existing gear. That being said, if it was me, I would try to use the best gear I could afford for this type of shoot as I may only get one chance to do it.

Sep 17, 2013 at 12:44 AM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3517 #6 · p.3517 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
Something doesn't sound right. I thought you couldn't mount an EF-S lens on an EF-mount body...?

I won't confirm "can't" but I know you shouldn't. Mirror <---> Back Of Lens is a real possibility.

Sep 17, 2013 at 12:47 AM
gerov
• • • • •
p.3517 #7 · p.3517 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Unfortunately, I haven't been anywhere near an airfield lately, but I did catch this fellow on Saturday morning while my kids were competing in 1/2 mile and mile open water swims in the Chesapeake Bay. My favorite bird of the warm blooded variety

Edited on Sep 17, 2013 at 02:24 AM · View previous versions

Sep 17, 2013 at 12:55 AM
Leo Hursh
• • •
p.3517 #8 · p.3517 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

FlyingPhotog wrote:
I won't confirm "can't" but I know you shouldn't. Mirror <---> Back Of Lens is a real possibility.

Uh, guys, EF-S and EF lenses are Canon mount. Erich is shooting Nikon, which "can" mount DX lenses on FX bodies. However, there is no real benefit to doing so.

Sep 17, 2013 at 12:59 AM
Leo Hursh
• • •
p.3517 #9 · p.3517 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Cracking shots on the last number of pages y'all!!!

Sep 17, 2013 at 01:11 AM
Angry
• • •
p.3517 #10 · p.3517 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Go4Long wrote:
I sat there and deliberated, even maneuvered my schedule and budget so that I could justify going. I REALLY want to go...I'm just saddened by all the teams cancellations.

If the teams were still flying I definitely would have hit Abbotsford and Alliance this year (f-22 was supposed to be at Abbotsford), but the lineups and even the static displays at both shows rely so heavily on the US military that justifying the expense for me is tough.

I've heard some rumors circulating about some European content at some of the North American shows next season...that could make things interesting...

Sorry to hear you wont make it.
Looked forward to catching up.

I dont think next year is going to be an option for me.

Al

Sep 17, 2013 at 01:52 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Angry
• • •
p.3517 #11 · p.3517 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
I don't know what that is in the foreground on the road, but I know what it would have been if I'd been flying that 51.......

And lots of it.....lol

Al

Sep 17, 2013 at 01:58 AM
ELinder
• • •
p.3517 #12 · p.3517 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Leo Hursh wrote:
I should have worded it a bit better...

I believe that Erich is shooting Nikon gear and said he has the 17-55 mounted on a D7100. It would have a similar field of view to a 25-82 (35mm terms). While it might be preferable to shoot a 24-70 on the D4, he already has a similar focal range with his existing gear. That being said, if it was me, I would try to use the best gear I could afford for this type of shoot as I may only get one chance to do it.

Leo, you've got it correct. The DX 17-55 on the D7100 is the focal length I'm looking for and is one of the sharpest lenses I own. My only hesitation is the lack of VR. As you say, this may be my only chance at this, so I want to use the best gear I can. If I mount the 70-200VR on the D7100 it gets too long I think at effective 105-300mm. Then I still need to find something for the wide end for the D4. The 24-70 would be plenty sharp, but again the lack of VR makes me wonder about it. I don't have the magic steady hands that so many around here have.

Erich

Sep 17, 2013 at 02:27 AM
Go4Long
• • • •
p.3517 #13 · p.3517 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
I don't have any experience shooting the 400 f/2.8, either with or without the 1.4x; all I can tell you is that the 500 f/4 is a hell of a lens and that I don't recall seeing anyone using the 400 f/2.8 at an airshow. Maybe the front-weighted balance (big objective glass) is awkward for hand-holding?

Way to hurt my feelings Steve1
Mine was the Nikon, but it still counts.

The 400mm 2.8, regardless of manufacturer, is rediculously sharp, but as Steve1 mentioned it's a little awkward to handhold. I made it through the days of the few air shows I shot with it by resting it on my knee, or on the ground between passes...on full frame I still found myself looking for more reach as well.

Sep 17, 2013 at 02:54 AM
Go4Long
• • • •
p.3517 #14 · p.3517 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Leo Hursh wrote:
Uh, guys, EF-S and EF lenses are Canon mount. Erich is shooting Nikon, which "can" mount DX lenses on FX bodies. However, there is no real benefit to doing so.

There's a big disadvantage in fact. Most newer cameras will automatically enter crop mode when mounted to a crop lens (cutting your megapixels in half in most cases), and the ones that don't you will just end up with dark circles around the outside of the image.

But no, there is no physical reason why you CAN'T mount a crop lens on a full frame body.

Sep 17, 2013 at 03:00 AM
alawadhi
• •
p.3517 #15 · p.3517 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Go4Long wrote:

The 400mm 2.8, regardless of manufacturer, is rediculously sharp, but as Steve1 mentioned it's a little awkward to handhold. I made it through the days of the few air shows I shot with it by resting it on my knee, or on the ground between passes...on full frame I still found myself looking for more reach as well.

Thank you Steve and Go4Long...
I just made my mind based on the cost, either 500mm or a 100-400, what do you say?

Sep 17, 2013 at 03:32 AM
dehowie
• • •
p.3517 #16 · p.3517 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hi level of skill to get a P-51 down on that dirt road in perfect order.
Great work..

Sep 17, 2013 at 03:47 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3517 #17 · p.3517 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I've been on a pretty intensive quest for two Mustangs, a TF and a P51D. There are only 18 true TF models left in the world. Right at the moment, the only 51 I'm interested in is Double Trouble Too out in Virginia. This is the fulfillment of a life long dream, so I have no intention of rushing it. Lot's to consider, a lot to learn. Additionally, it's sobering to search through the serial numbers on the Warbird Registry, look deeper into the history of each of those aircraft from delivery to the military to the present day. One finds the words "crashed" and "fatality" repeatedly along side the names of owners with the same dream I have entertained, sobering, yes indeed.

There has never been a doubt that we'd put a Six back in the hangar at some point. Although, any Mustang pilot will tell you that the 51 makes a great trainer if you want to learn to fly a Texan, and not all of that is tongue in cheek. Chuck Gardner has been kind enough to allow me to buy him lunch next week, at which point I will wear him out with my quest for Mustang knowledge. Thanks in advance Chuck!

Sep 17, 2013 at 04:25 AM
Tim Adams
• • • •
p.3517 #18 · p.3517 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Back in IL tonight. Here are a couple departure shots from early this morning, and a Mustang that stays hidden away in a hanger in Reno. It has not flown in many years, annual is supposedly done every year though.

And is BW also.

Sep 17, 2013 at 05:00 AM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3517 #19 · p.3517 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Leo Hursh wrote:

Oh, geez, you're right. I've got one leg in the Nikon camp and another in the Canon camp and another in the Oly micro-4/3 camp, and it's got me so turned around I can barely tell my arse from my elbow, if you'll pardon the fine old phrase. That, and I had been thinking about Al's equipment questions over on the Canon side. Don't mind me, I'll just go and drool in the corner over there...

Sep 17, 2013 at 05:30 AM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3517 #20 · p.3517 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Go4Long wrote:

Apologies, Steve2. You'll note that I'm still drooling in my corner, as penance.

Sep 17, 2013 at 05:33 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password