Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3516      
       3518              4242       4243       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

msalvetti
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3517 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
The mighty (and mighty loud) Phantom. Note the binder clip holding the glare shield together.

I hope I get to see (and hear) a Phantom before they are all gone. They've got to be the meanest looking fighter out there, even without the teeth. All business.

I was reading that the performance envelope of the F-4 drones isn't enough of a challenge for modern missile systems, and soon they are going to start shooting at old F-16's.

To of Page Image:

Not as sharp as it should be (heavy crop), but it's what I got:

Mark

Jan 23, 2013 at 05:31 AM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.3517 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

astrobrian wrote:
Yup I'm sure Guessing your shot wasn't too long ago as the MLP is still at the pad.

This past Friday, in fact. Weather's been 70F and breezy, so it's really comfortable, but we had a couple of gray overcast days -- including Friday -- that made shooting less productive.

Jan 23, 2013 at 05:51 AM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.3517 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

More from Alliance.

Off to pack, I've got an early flight out and client meetings for the next three days so I'll be a little scarce for awhile. Y'all have fun now.

Tora! Tora! Tora!

NIKON D800    200.0-400.0 mm f/4.0 lens    400mm    f/16.0    1/100s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

NIKON D800E    500.0 mm f/4.0 lens    500mm    f/4.0    1/60s    320 ISO    0.0 EV  

Jan 23, 2013 at 05:52 AM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3517 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Iron Horsepower Anyone?
Durango .. Way Back .. 2005

Jan 23, 2013 at 06:40 AM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
p.3517 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

This Baron belongs to my friend Jack who also owns the red Pitts from a couple weeks ago..it was fun watching him manhandle this thing like the Pitts too!

Glenn

Jan 23, 2013 at 07:21 AM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
p.3517 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Glenn

Jan 23, 2013 at 07:22 AM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
p.3517 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Glenn

Jan 23, 2013 at 07:23 AM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
p.3517 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jan 23, 2013 at 07:24 AM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
p.3517 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Glenn

Jan 23, 2013 at 07:25 AM
futurshox
• • • •
p.3517 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Hey, where's Lady Jo? I'm getting worried about her. And how about Sir Donald?

*raises hand*
I'm here! Just haven't had a lot to say recently.... mind you, Glenn's been taking up the slack from this corner of Texas, I think....

I have booked a trip to the UK in March. It will be busy; I'm seeing five different sets of friends/family and spending a week in the office. I will be transitioning from Heathrow across London on Saturday 9th March, and back again on Monday 25th. If anyone's in the area those days and wants to grab a coffee or beer, please do let me know!

Jan 23, 2013 at 01:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3517 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Good to hear from you Jo. Glad you're doing well. Sounds like your trip east will be action packed.

Jan 23, 2013 at 05:01 PM
Tim Adams
• • • •
p.3517 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Nineteen seconds of monumental stupidity in North Texas.
http://www.kens5.com/news/FAA-looking-into-dangerous-stunt-at-North-Texas-airport-188028631.html

Jan 23, 2013 at 07:13 PM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3517 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

The monumental stupidity was letting someone on the runway with a camera who obviously doesn't "get it"

I've seen exactly the same type of video come out of other airshow performer's camps but nobody is screaming like a little girl.

Jan 23, 2013 at 07:28 PM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.3517 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Appropriate Signage...

Jan 23, 2013 at 07:59 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3517 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

FlyingPhotog wrote:
Appropriate Signage...

["Use Noise Abatement Procedures"]

Too late!

Jan 23, 2013 at 09:03 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3517 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Tim Adams wrote:
Nineteen seconds of monumental stupidity in North Texas.
http://www.kens5.com/news/FAA-looking-into-dangerous-stunt-at-North-Texas-airport-188028631.html

Well...

If I were setting up this shot I would have marked the runway spot where the videographer was to stand at a half-span-plus-n-feet from the edge stripe, so the pilot has something to aim for that guarantees clearance, minimal though it may be. You can see in the video that the pilot has the Pitts stabilized, wings level, angling across the runway and clearly aimed to miss the videographer. Then he starts a bank _toward_ the videographer about a half-second before passing his/her position. It's awfully close, but the angle's improving rapidly in the last couple of frames before he passes by. Mind you, I would never volunteer to be that videographer and it was _really_ close. All I'm saying is that it was probably carefully set up and there was an easy out until a moment before minimum separation, if anything hadn't looked right.

Reminds me of the story Derek Piggott told us one day at the late, lamented Black Forest Gliderport, talking about filming the classic aviation movie, The Blue Max. His stunt on this occasion required flying a WWI fighter under a bridge with piers that were spaced only a few feet wider than his wingspan. In setting up the stunt he placed two poles at different distances on the far side of the bridge to set up a sort of range: if he had the poles lined up on approaching the bridge he could be assured of clearance on both wingtips; if he didn't have the poles lined up, he'd just pop over the bridge and go around to try again. It worked, they shot 20 takes, and he lived to tell the story.

Here's an imdb.com page that mentions the stunt: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060177/trivia

Jan 23, 2013 at 09:44 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3517 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Those Wacky Canadians, Eh?

Jan 23, 2013 at 09:46 PM
Go4Long
• • •
p.3517 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

if I were setting up that shot I would have put the camera on a tripod or any other form of support and recorded the screaming in post...which is what the lawyer should claim :P

realistically though, given how much the movements seem amplified, I would imagine there is a bit of a zoom going on there, the plane is moving across the runway, and then banks back over it, so I could foresee a circumstance where it's not nearly as close as that video makes it seem. Still close enough to piss off the FAA though...and the ridiculous screaming probably doesn't help.

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:03 PM
RobMoser
• • •
p.3517 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

FlyingPhotog wrote:

Appropriate Signage...

http://crosswindimages.com/img/s8/v81/p1395226334.jpg

It looks worse from the back than the front

"Do these prop disks make my butt look big?"

Rob

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:50 PM
nickjohnson
• • •
p.3517 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

JWilsonphoto wrote:
Hey, where's Lady Jo? I'm getting worried about her. And how about Sir Donald?

Jim, All,

Just to let you know that I hit the panic button this afternoon. Donald just checked in by text about 15 minutes ago. I do know that there has been a lot of snow down where he lives. He knows about our concern.

Jan 23, 2013 at 10:57 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password