Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3443      
       3445              4138       4139       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3444 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Greetings to all, from way back on page 3420!

I have a simple suggestion for Shooter and others worried about card failures. If you have the luxury of dual slots, buy bigger cards than you need and use them in pairs. Set the camera to use the second slot as a backup, storing all images to both cards simultaneously, and you should be well-insured against any card failure that may occur.

Since my D800 has CF/SD slots, I shoot this way all the time but only download from the CF since it's faster. Once I'm sure the download (and the backup) were successful, I simply format both cards again and I'm good to go. I see no downsides to this other than the additional cost. If I've missed something, please let me know!

I'll get an image in here somehow...

Dec 08, 2012 at 11:09 PM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3444 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Stopped by my local camera guy's place to pick up a few things, one being Canon's new 600EX-RT. I'm going to sell my 580 EXII's if anyone is in need. We had an interesting discussion re: the 1D X sensor. Seems that everyone with an X is experiencing the same particulate accumulation problem. No one knows why, but everyone agrees that it exists. Nothing to do but stock up on sensor cleaning tools and be vigilant about keeping them .

Headed off to break in the 600 EX-RT. hands on report to follow.

Dec 08, 2012 at 11:18 PM
gerov
• • • • •
p.3444 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

For those of you with Macbook Pros, did you opt for the glossy, glossy hi res, or anti-glare hi res screen. Are you happy with your selection? I'm going to upgrade (finally) from my 2008 15" macbook pro, and it has the anti-glare screen. I'm debating between a 27" iMac and the 15" macbook pro, and if I go for the macbook, would like to get the best screen possible.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions,
Gero

edit - here's an image to hold the fort while Rodolfo goes digging...

Canon EOS 5D    200mm    f/8.0    1/800s    100 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Dec 08, 2012 at 11:21 PM
ELinder
• •
p.3444 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jurgen Radier wrote:

Although I have to admit that gliders have their charm as well!

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1733989/KZC/dag2-3.jpg

Funny enough, both categories don't see nearly enough posts here compared to all the military stuff. Seems like I have to start posting more!

Yes please! My first solo flight was in a Schweizer 2-33, so I have a soft spot for sailplanes. But then I've flown helo's too, so I'm partial to both ends of the spectrum.

Erich

Dec 08, 2012 at 11:53 PM
Jeff W.
• • •
p.3444 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jurgen Radier wrote:
Jeff, nothing wrong with some good old big stuff! They pay my bills at least

I'm definitely learning to enjoy this corner of aviation photography. Went out again this evening and tried a few different techniques. Certainly a change of pace (in a good way) from what I'm used to.

NIGHT OWL

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +1.4x III lens    200mm    f/4.5    1/15s    640 ISO    -0.3 EV  

INTO THE NIGHT

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +1.4x III lens    200mm    f/4.0    1/15s    640 ISO    -0.3 EV  

CONTRAILS AT SUNSET

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +1.4x III lens    200mm    f/29.0    1/15s    640 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Dec 09, 2012 at 04:23 AM
Tim Adams
• • • •
p.3444 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Very cool. I think you will find the mkIII AF pretty amazing at night. It only needs a little light to lock on.

Dec 09, 2012 at 04:28 AM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3444 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Apaches at sunset..

Glenn

Dec 09, 2012 at 04:39 AM
Glenn Watson
• • • •
p.3444 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Dec 09, 2012 at 04:41 AM
Wrei
• • • •
p.3444 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Gero, in March I bought the 17" MBP with the anti glare high res screen. I have not been disappointed. I use it in several rooms in the house (depending on what my wife has on the boob tube). I talked to several Apple guys and they all recommended the anti glare high res for photos. I thought Shooter also recommended that screen. I got it because I may be in a room with a lot of light and the glare is not a problem. I guess if you are using it in a room where you can control the light, glossy may be fine.

Why wouldn't you consider the new retina display with the MBP?

Ray

Dec 09, 2012 at 04:51 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3444 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

+1 for Wrei's opinion.

I've shot in this room dozens of times but it still knocks me out when I walk into it, especially at Christmas........

Dec 09, 2012 at 05:03 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jurgen Radier
• • •
p.3444 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Erich, I'll do my best! Not much flying going on for the next three months, but then I'm planning on doing more gliding photography and video! I'll be sure to post some old work in the meantime though!

Jeff, I'm glad you are getting to enjoy it! The good thing about civil aviation is the access, you can usually get a lot closer than military and try more angles! I love PHX for it's parking garages as well, where you can do some excellent nightshots. The two shots below are from 5 years ago (damn, that long already?) but I imagine it isn't much different now!

Dec 09, 2012 at 11:29 AM
JWilsonphoto
• • • • • •
p.3444 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

600 series flash units work very nicely. ANyone interested, I just posted two 580 EXII units on Buy & Sell for $300 each.

Dec 09, 2012 at 01:49 PM
gerov
• • • • •
p.3444 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Wrei wrote:
Gero, in March I bought the 17" MBP with the anti glare high res screen. I have not been disappointed. I use it in several rooms in the house (depending on what my wife has on the boob tube). I talked to several Apple guys and they all recommended the anti glare high res for photos. I thought Shooter also recommended that screen. I got it because I may be in a room with a lot of light and the glare is not a problem. I guess if you are using it in a room where you can control the
...Show more

Ray,
I've looked at the new MBP with retina display - the thing holding me back is that I'd like to have more storage on there as I keep a large part of my photo library on the laptop, and with the 768mb drive, it will be out of my budget.

I'd certainly like that display though, as well as the light weight.

Gero

Dec 09, 2012 at 01:53 PM
jerboyd
• • •
p.3444 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jim -

I have been to that room many times. We are doing some great things with the family. Such a rich history there.

I'll talk to you soon.

Jeremy

JWilsonphoto wrote:
+1 for Wrei's opinion.

I've shot in this room dozens of times but it still knocks me out when I walk into it, especially at Christmas........

Dec 09, 2012 at 03:14 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3444 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jurgen, US commercial operators have historically favored aero tow over winch launch because the economics don't favor it: it takes too many (paid) people to do winch launches safely, and the cost of operating tow planes in the US is much lower than in Europe.

Dec 09, 2012 at 03:26 PM
Wrei
• • • •
p.3444 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Appears things are going slow this morning, so an oldie but goodie:

Dec 09, 2012 at 04:23 PM
futurshox
• • • •
p.3444 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Gero, I have the matte screen on my MBP and I love it. The shiny one looked just too shiny for me, although by all accounts it's good for watching films on.

Glenn, I do like those sunset Apache shots!

Excuse my ignorance, but whose room is that? It is very fabulous.

Dec 09, 2012 at 06:16 PM
Jeff W.
• • •
p.3444 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

@Gero - FWIW I have the shiny hi-res on my MBP and wish I'd gotten the anti-glare.

@Jurgen - While your commercial aircraft photographs are terrific, I've always thought your sailplane images were my favorites. Ever since I went for a ride in a Schweizer in Durango, I've been in love with the serenity and beauty of flying thermals.

@Tim - I've been very impressed with the 5D3's AF. Seems to be the equal or superior to my 1D4.

@Glenn - Your Apache images just keep getting better and better. The 2nd one on this page is a favorite.

@Jim - I've never been in that room and your photograph of it knocks me out. It appears they have a nice library upstairs

G-V Stylin'

Dec 09, 2012 at 06:36 PM
tom cardin
• • •
p.3444 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

That room, is just beautiful. How much light did all that wood soak up?I think, inviting is the word I would use..
Tom

t

Dec 09, 2012 at 06:58 PM
Aviationbuff
• •
p.3444 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Waiting For Daybreak - P-51C Mustang "By Request" at the 2012 Thunder in the vallery airshow. Columbus, GA

Dec 09, 2012 at 08:32 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password