Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              3317      
       3319              4285       4286       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3318 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

And it was so much fun meeting everyone this weekend, even though the weather decided to follow the Canadians and me down from "the north". This was a once in a lifetime trip for me, now to go figure out what I want to do when I grow up, school will definitely be involved, as I know I'm going to have to retrain myself for some other career.

And hey, I've learned how to drive around Dallas/Fort Worth pretty well, piece of cake here.

One more from today

NightOwl Cat 2012

NIKON D700    400mm    f/6.3    1/1000s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Oct 08, 2012 at 02:34 AM
astrobrian
• • •
p.3318 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I couldn't make it up this year with Devil Dog, and these shots making me start my planning right now to head up with the gang next year. Great shots by all, hope to see you there in 2013

Oct 08, 2012 at 02:58 AM
cbrandt
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3318 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Beautiful images folks !!

Looking forward to seeing more as you have time to process. Once I get alot better, I'd sure like to make the trip. Local shooting for me this weekend was enjoyable.

1943 Spitfire IX N644TB kept in Easton, Md

Edited on Oct 08, 2012 at 03:34 AM · View previous versions

Oct 08, 2012 at 03:29 AM
cbrandt
• • •
p.3318 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

L39 NX3467N ( doesn't come up on Aircraft Registry ) but it's based in Easton, Md

Edited on Oct 08, 2012 at 03:38 AM · View previous versions

Oct 08, 2012 at 03:30 AM
cbrandt
• • •
p.3318 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

correction ..

Nanchang ( thanks for the ID Ken )

Edited on Oct 08, 2012 at 01:50 PM · View previous versions

Oct 08, 2012 at 03:32 AM
Angry
• • •
p.3318 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Tim Adams wrote:
The classic lines of 232, with Hoot Gibson at the controls.

neat Plane Tim,...Love the paint job...

Oct 08, 2012 at 03:48 AM
Jeff W.
• • •
p.3318 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Ever since I acquired Zim's 5D3, I've not had the time I'd like to become more familiar with the platform in different environments. This weekend, I took a couple of hours and ran out to the Scottsdale Municipal Airport to give the 5D3's AF a test drive on some moving objects - read private jets. Here are a couple of images from that effort. Thus far, I could not be happier.

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM lens    260mm    f/10.0    1/1000s    160 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Canon EOS 5D Mark III    EF100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM lens    350mm    f/6.3    1/1000s    160 ISO    +0.3 EV  

Oct 08, 2012 at 05:28 AM
kwbarnes
• •
p.3318 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

cbrandt wrote:
YAK

http://skipjackphotography.smugmug.com/Other/Easton-Airport-Day-2012/i-gwWDQ2g/0/XL/c-red-YAK-going-away-XL.jpg

Curtis,

If the wings are straight, and the tail is round, it's a Yak.

If the wings are bent, and the tail is angular (not round) it's a Nanchang.

There are other differences, but the wing, and the shape of the tail are quick ways to visually identify the aircraft as a Yak, or Nanchang.

Ken

Oct 08, 2012 at 05:40 AM
went
• • •
p.3318 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jeff W. wrote:
Ever since I acquired Zim's 5D3, I've not had the time I'd like to become more familiar with the platform in different environments. This weekend, I took a couple of hours and ran out to the Scottsdale Municipal Airport to give the 5D3's AF a test drive on some moving objects - read private jets. Here are a couple of images from that effort. Thus far, I could not be happier.

Jeff you've got to be very pleased with these clean & very sharp, just can't beat the FF file, I'm finding the same thing moving from the APS-C to the 36 x 24 file size and it just feels like there is more information to work with during processing, especially with jpg's, can't comment on the raw files yet at the D600 plugin is not available yet.

Went

Oct 08, 2012 at 06:11 AM
Jeff W.
• • •
p.3318 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

went wrote:
Jeff you've got to be very pleased with these clean & very sharp, just can't beat the FF file, I'm finding the same thing moving from the APS-C to the 36 x 24 file size and it just feels like there is more information to work with during processing, especially with jpg's, can't comment on the raw files yet at the D600 plugin is not available yet.

Went

I sold my 1D4 to fund the 5D3 purchase. It wasn't easy seeing the 1D body go bye bye. Suffice it to say the 5D3 has salved my wound rather nicely. The AF works like a champ and the RAW IQ is tremendous. I'm sure you will enjoy the files produced by your D600.

Oct 08, 2012 at 06:36 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Jim Bau
• • •
p.3318 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hey Jeff, Whatr AF settings did you set up for the shots? I am going to my first air show this weekend with my 5D3. I have tentatively set if for expanded AF point, scenario #5 with increased tracking sensitivity an AF point switching.

Oct 08, 2012 at 08:05 AM
dswiger
• • • • •
p.3318 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Fireworks & an FA-18

At the S.F Giants-Cincinnati playoff game, treated to a fly over form Lemoore NAS

Dan

Oct 08, 2012 at 08:23 AM
Go4Long
• • •
p.3318 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

The Horsemen by Steven Szabo, on Flickr

I'm expecting a lot of B&W edits from the weekend :P

Oct 08, 2012 at 10:40 AM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3318 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jim Bau wrote:
Hey Jeff, Whatr AF settings did you set up for the shots? I am going to my first air show this weekend with my 5D3. I have tentatively set if for expanded AF point, scenario #5 with increased tracking sensitivity an AF point switching.

I recall Tim saying he used Case 2 for shooting from the pylons at Reno this year. I used basic Case 1 with good results at Alliance. I don't believe you need to over think the AF: it's just damn good out of the box.

Oct 08, 2012 at 10:43 AM
Go4Long
• • •
p.3318 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Cool Your Jets by Steven Szabo, on Flickr

Oct 08, 2012 at 11:03 AM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3318 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Four engine jello maker...

I asked one of the flight crew why they'd left the engines running so long after taxiing in to the static area on Friday. He said they were waiting for the Alliance folks to remove all the Tora Tora Tora aircraft from their position 100 yards behind the B-1 so they wouldn't flip anything over taxiing the last 50 feet to their final parking spot. I also asked him why they didn't give us a pass on arrival: they were late because of a mechanical with the first jet they tried to bring, and the T-birds were anxious to fly, so they just had to land...fortunately for us, they had to land on the near runway since the T-birds were staged on the far runway.

Oct 08, 2012 at 11:25 AM
Jim Bau
• • •
p.3318 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
I recall Tim saying he used Case 2 for shooting from the pylons at Reno this year. I used basic Case 1 with good results at Alliance. I don't believe you need to over think the AF: it's just damn good out of the box.

Thanks Steve! That's good to know. I read all of the different cases & suggested uses, then watched the videos on the Canon website and was more confused than before I started. I'm all about the K.I.S.S. method if it works! Got any shots of the B-1 aloft?

Oct 08, 2012 at 11:36 AM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3318 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

T-28 belonging to the Cavanaugh Flight Museum, from the B-25.

Oct 08, 2012 at 12:08 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.3318 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jim Bau wrote:
Thanks Steve! That's good to know. I read all of the different cases & suggested uses, then watched the videos on the Canon website and was more confused than before I started. I'm all about the K.I.S.S. method if it works! Got any shots of the B-1 aloft?

We didn't see it coming until it was on short final; I've already posted a touchdown shot here.

Oct 08, 2012 at 12:10 PM
Tim Adams
• • • •
p.3318 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
We didn't see it coming until it was on short final; I've already posted a touchdown shot here.

Actually I used case 4 all week, whether it was static or flying, I just left it on 4.

Oct 08, 2012 at 12:37 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password