Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              2447      
       2449              4397       4398       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jeff W.
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2448 #1 · p.2448 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

@Jay: Congrats on the Aviation Week recognition - way to represent. Have a great weekend.

Oct 21, 2011 at 04:50 AM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.2448 #2 · p.2448 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jeff W. wrote:
@Jay: Congrats on the Aviation Week recognition - way to represent. Have a great weekend.

Way cool digiBug, Jay. Well deserved accolades from AW&ST, for sure.

In other news, Jay and I were in Jim's golf cart headed out between the rows of hangars to shoot the takeoff of a DC-3 when we heard it coming. Too soon! I raised my loaner 1DmkIV with my trusty 70-200 II and managed to squeeze off a handful of shots as it appeared over one hangar and disappeared behind another.

Let me count how many mistakes I made in capturing the attached image, all due to my lack of preparation. The lens was last used in a studio shoot on a tripod, so it was
1) ...in MF mode
2) ...with image stabilization off.
3) ...camera's drive mode was set to single shot
4) ...image quality was set to JPEG
5) ...shooting mode set to Av
6) ...ISO set to 1000

So I ended up with a handful of JPEGs, with blown highlights, at f/6.3, 1/3200 and 1/4000 of a second. Stop the presses! The DC-3 has three bladed props!

I'm glad I got that out of my system

Onward and upward...

Canon EOS-1D Mark IV    EF70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM lens    190mm    f/6.3    1/3200s    1000 ISO    0.0 EV  

Oct 21, 2011 at 05:19 AM
mikegeng
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2448 #3 · p.2448 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Steve, I'm probably right behind you ;-) . Are any of you guys meeting for breakfast?

Oct 21, 2011 at 11:00 AM
Shaggy Wolf
• • •
p.2448 #4 · p.2448 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jay, congrats on the 3rd place, that is a really awesome shot. Talk about making lemonade, right?

Oct 21, 2011 at 12:10 PM
Aviationbuff
• • •
p.2448 #5 · p.2448 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Love the Fat Albert shots Jon!

Oct 21, 2011 at 12:13 PM
Aviationbuff
• • •
p.2448 #6 · p.2448 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Congratulations Jay

Oct 21, 2011 at 12:13 PM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.2448 #7 · p.2448 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

See Steve, it didn't turn out bad at all...

Razor sharp!

Oct 21, 2011 at 12:44 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.2448 #8 · p.2448 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jay, congrats on the award! Well-earned, my friend. It continues to amaze me how quickly you went from another, entirely different career, into becoming one of the best photographers I know, with a compelling eye for composition and impact and the technical execution to match. Hat's off to you, sir.

Oct 21, 2011 at 01:56 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.2448 #9 · p.2448 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

To the Alliance contingent: may you have blue skies with white puffy clouds, great weather, nice breezes to dissipate the smoke, and awesome performances with no problems, glitches, or accidents. May you enjoy yourselves immensely, and bring back the kind of images of which we know you're capable. Good luck and Godspeed to all of you.

(Ignore the green color cast in this post... I'm having a massive attack of envy here...)

Oct 21, 2011 at 01:59 PM
jbear2000
• • • • •
p.2448 #10 · p.2448 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Odds are they won't be doing any shooting in Florida next month - so once they lay the gauntlet down with their captures - it will be up to the rest of us to respond in kind. ... that's one way to get the burnt west Texas and arid Arizona "green"!

Oct 21, 2011 at 02:17 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

MMcGrath
• • • •
p.2448 #11 · p.2448 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

It's cold & damp here today. Man I wish I was at Alliance with blue skies & fighter jet demos.

Still there is always Vegas in February.

Oct 21, 2011 at 02:29 PM
Jeff W.
• • •
p.2448 #12 · p.2448 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
To the Alliance contingent: may you have blue skies with white puffy clouds, great weather, nice breezes to dissipate the smoke, and awesome performances with no problems, glitches, or accidents. May you enjoy yourselves immensely, and bring back the kind of images of which we know you're capable. Good luck and Godspeed to all of you.

(Ignore the green color cast in this post... I'm having a massive attack of envy here...)

+1 on your sentiments Rodolfo. While our associates are rubbing shoulders in Texas, how about you post a few of your fine images from Africa? I would love to see some more photos from Ngorongoro.

jbear2000 wrote:
Odds are they won't be doing any shooting in Florida next month - so once they lay the gauntlet down with their captures - it will be up to the rest of us to respond in kind. ... that's one way to get the burnt west Texas and arid Arizona "green"!

Hey now Jon, I resemble that remark Just another 90* afternoon of blue skies at Willie for me

Oct 21, 2011 at 02:57 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.2448 #13 · p.2448 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
I did some research on home theater earlier this year, and I agree with you the the Epson 8350 is at the top of a short list at its price point...and I'm not willing to go enough higher to make a discernible difference. Screens I never did figure out.

skyhawkpilot wrote:
You know you are tired when....you totally miss the scenario after the first question...will look into it. Though on first glance, I agree with Steve.

I'm designing an office environment intended to look understated and be supremely comfortable in which to work. Dark wood floors, light-colored area carpet, dark wood furniture with stone tops, black leather seating, and so on. Photos, art, and wooden bookshelves on the walls. Serious thermal insulation for energy efficiency, with a little acoustic insulation thrown in to reduce distractions and help the music sound better. It's not very large, about 650 sqft, but it holds a couch and two armchairs for brainstorming and discussions, a six-seat conference table for work on paper, my two desks and a small half-bath.

Gonna be beautiful, as soon as I figure out who's doing the furniture.

Given all of this, I wanted to put in highly-capable technology but make it unintrusive, relatively invisible. I also incorrectly thought that a projector and screen would cost less than a good TV on the wall: now that I've gotten into the details a little more, I can see what the differences are between a $200 screen and a $2,200 screen, and I can see that those differences are important to me. Now I'm just trying to figure out which screen, and to verify whether I can place the screen in such a way as to not have it be too close for comfort.

I hope to be able to work it out. This setup will be used for videoconferencing, showing presentations and photo slideshows, projecting a computer screen for working with multiple people, with a Wacom tablet as an electronic whiteboard, and to show the odd movie or two.

Oct 21, 2011 at 03:04 PM
richhrly
• • •
p.2448 #14 · p.2448 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Sounds very elegant, and to that end - I trust you're getting a iMac then, Rodolfo?

Oct 21, 2011 at 03:06 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.2448 #15 · p.2448 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jeff W. wrote:
While our associates are rubbing shoulders in Texas, how about you post a few of your fine images from Africa? I would love to see some more photos from Ngorongoro.

Let me see what I can dig up. Haven't really done any editing on those yet, but I really should get started.

Oct 21, 2011 at 03:07 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.2448 #16 · p.2448 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

richhrly wrote:
Sounds very elegant, and to that end - I trust you're getting a iMac then, Rodolfo?

The iMac is a good-looking box. But there's a curved translucent wall (frosted Corian, not glass... I have kids) separating the conference table from my two desks, so people won't really see my desktop. And while I appreciate how well the Mac works, and love the fact that its rock-solid functionality is largely a legacy of the Linux and FreeBSD underpinnings on which it's based, I'll admit that the prices Apple charges and the way they limit my choices still stick in my craw. I've built too many of my own computers, and loved the freedom to upgrade components at will too much, to easily change architectures.

I'm already beginning to debate technology with myself, since February (when the office is finished) may be a good time to change my desktop. And the cost of the computer will seem quite reasonable after the cost of building and equipping the office itself!

Right now, the plan is to buy a new desktop and two 30" monitors. There's a chance that it could be a Mac: not out of the question, but not very likely right now either.

Oct 21, 2011 at 03:15 PM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.2448 #17 · p.2448 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
Serious thermal insulation for energy efficiency,

Rodolfo, you live in Florida. Why do you need insulation FFS?

Oct 21, 2011 at 03:15 PM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.2448 #18 · p.2448 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Rodolfo,

sounds like you need the following:

2 x Apple Thunderbolt Monitors.
1 x iMAC
1 x Apple TV
1 x iPAD

The iPAD can control everything.

Oct 21, 2011 at 03:17 PM
jbear2000
• • • • •
p.2448 #19 · p.2448 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

If upgradability is necessary - why an iMac at all? The Mac Tower has all the expansion ports and bays any other compubox has with all of the technology of an iMac.
Don't get me wrong - I like my 27"iMac - but it isn't all that much in upgradability - but my tower at work will be with me for a while and its already long in the tooth.

Oct 21, 2011 at 04:04 PM
Macc
• •
p.2448 #20 · p.2448 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Red Arrows

Diamond nine. by Maccphoto.co.uk, on Flickr

Chris

Oct 21, 2011 at 05:13 PM
1       2       3              2447      
       2449              4397       4398       end

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell