1       2       3              2446      
       2448              4533       4534       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Shaggy Wolf
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2447 #1 · p.2447 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
Very, very few dogs, of course. Only a couple that I can remember, and all those way back in the mists of time. I should have said "...even the eternally-awesome Red Hat...". Pardon the vague and insufficiently-clear phrasing.

Always knew you were a stand-up guy, Shaggy. Current or former employee? What area? Care to share some details of what you do (or did) at the world's first company to hit almost a billion dollars in annual sales while selling and/or supporting almost exclusively open-source products?

So I worship the company... sue me.

Current, started in Jan '09. I'm an Associate Systems Administrator in Engineering Operations, the group that supports the engineers. We maintain all of the test hardware, and the infrastructure that the engineers use to utilize it. We basically have this giant heterogeneous pool of hardware that the engineers can use to test whichever of our products they are working on. It's kind of a crazy environment, we hire some EXTREMELY passionate people, and things move at 900mph. With all of this discussion about iPads...one of our vendors donated an iPad2 for us to give away to our employees. That caused a huge stink, there are a lot of very vocal proponents of the Open Source way who were not too happy about the fact that we were - even inadvertently - supporting a rather closed product.

Personally, I run linux on most of my systems (2 laptops, and two dinky systems I'm using as servers), though I do have an old PPC based Mac Mini and a tower running Win7 - there are just some things that Linux can't do very well, yet, like modern gaming...

It's a great company to work for, we have our tiffs on occasion (what company doesn't), but they take care of us, and the environment is very open, a lot of the guys liken it to the old glory days of working at DEC, especially since a fair number of our engineers came from there. It's also fun to see your company in the news. I've had the opportunity to work on hardware that had been touched by maybe a dozen people before, it's neat.

I'm glad you spelled it right...it's crazy how many people type RedHat, redhat or red hat. Caps with a space!

Glad to hear you like what we're doing, we're pretty excited about our products, and our place in the market

Mar 09, 2012 at 03:26 AM
Angry
• • •
p.2447 #2 · p.2447 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

FlyingPhotog wrote:

We interrupt this discussion for a random act of aviation...
http://crosswindimages.com/img/s11/v34/p1003174712.jpg

Note Smile In Back Seat...
http://crosswindimages.com/img/s11/v32/p1026604668.jpg

Carry On...

jay, next time ...pick me, pick me !!!!! Whos the lucky lady

Mar 09, 2012 at 04:06 AM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.2447 #3 · p.2447 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I honestly don't know who she is...

I just wish I was driving!

Mar 09, 2012 at 05:43 AM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.2447 #4 · p.2447 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Marine Life
Capt Brandon Cordill USMC .. Blue Angel #3

Mar 09, 2012 at 06:32 AM
jbear2000
• • • • •
p.2447 #5 · p.2447 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

May i humbly wade into the computer conversation? I have to agree with Rodolfo - some things fit some people better than others and you have to see which one works for you. Its as simple as that. Its a tool, some people like a shovel, while others like a spade and yet others wouldn't begin the job without a backhoe.
As for me - my experience is quite limited. I started using a Mac 128K at the office where my wife worked at the time. Her boss wrote training manuals and they used the page layout and word processing features exclusively. It was back in the days of the first PC computers and I had no computer experience at all. In less than an hour I had laid out a fairly professional looking Lab Fees brochure - ready for print. I didn't even have a lab yet - just an idea.

The Mac just made good sense to me. Simple, easy enough to understand and enough software to do what I needed (because i wasn't tied to corporate big iron). I bought my own first Mac when it was a 512ke. When everyone said you couldn't upgrade them, i popped the case and put in a daughterboard that allowed me to add what was at the time a boatload of RAM. LAter I got the upgrade that turned it into a Mac Plus. I mostly ran two software packages - because that was all i needed. Pagemaker and JAZZ. I still wish Pagemaker were still around. JAZZ was a Lotus 123 knockoff for the MAC - which had all the same apps as the original Microsoft Office. It did all I needed to run a business and we put these pieces of software to work at the Catering business in Palm Beach. A big upgrade to what they had before.
Over the years I've had just about every new Mac version and all in all, I've had maybe three hard drive crashes that kept me up for hours getting stuff back. I learned how to use utility software well enough I could rescue just about anything that happened. I've seen all the sad macs, bombs and disasters in the book - and a few that weren't in there.
Then when it looked like I was finally going to have to buy a PC to run some vertical market photo software for dental color analysis, I bought an HP laptop. It worked, and fairly well - i was impressed. But it was just as cludgy and unintuitive as all the Mac magazines always said it was. I suppose if PC were all one knew, it would be fantastic compared to a command line interface. Compared to a Mac - no contest!

Just about all of the Macs I have now will run windows and I have it installed on two of them. I hardly ever even venture there and have no desire or need to do so. The HP laptop is lost. Literally lost, its somewhere in the house but I haven't a clue as to where. I don't care. If I find it, i'll use it for target practice. It was cheap - a lot cheaper than any of the Macs I've bought. But the one thing that has always struck home for me is this. If you buy a tool to use, and you never use it, or despise every minute using it, it is an expensive waste of money! VS a tool you enjoy and use every chance you get and you accomplish your tasks with ease... that technology is downright cheap by comparison.
This coming from a regular guy - who has never had tons of money to throw around at technology - so expensive is a relative term to me.

Mar 09, 2012 at 11:57 AM
threemilesfina
• •
p.2447 #6 · p.2447 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
I'm certainly no Microsoft apologist. If I had access to Adobe products like PS and LR on Linux, I wouldn't touch MS stuff with a ten-foot-pole. And I actually like Apple products: it's just the stratospheric pricing, limited choice, jail-your-customer mentality, and extortionist twists like banning others (e.g. Amazon and B&N) from selling their own products via their own apps that get my goat.

I'll give Apple a better score for reliability, functionality, and elegance every day of the week and twice on Sunday. I just feel sometimes that the size of those advantages is exaggerated and needs a
...Show more

This is pretty much how I feel about Apple stuff as well.

I've been in and out of different Linux distros since I was in High School but still have a Windows machine. Heck, even did my training for MCSE on Win2K when it was all the rage.

It's just like the whole Canon and Nikon debate to me. Some folks work better with one and some with the other.

Mar 09, 2012 at 02:40 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2447 #7 · p.2447 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

https://www.adobe.com/products/pagemaker/ shows it's still around Jon

jbear2000 wrote:
(snip)I mostly ran two software packages - because that was all i needed. Pagemaker and JAZZ. I still wish Pagemaker were still around. JAZZ was a Lotus 123 knockoff for the MAC - which had all the same apps as the original Microsoft Office. It did all I needed to run a business and we put these pieces of software to work at the Catering business in Palm Beach. A big upgrade to what they had before.(/snip)

If you do find it, I know some folks that could maybe use it.

jbear2000 wrote:
(snip)
The HP laptop is lost. Literally lost, its somewhere in the house but I haven't a clue as to where. I don't care. If I find it, i'll use it for target practice. It was cheap - a lot cheaper than any of the Macs I've bought. But the one thing that has always struck home for me is this. If you buy a tool to use, and you never use it, or despise every minute using it, it is an expensive waste of money! VS a tool you enjoy and use every chance you get and you accomplish
...Show more

Mar 09, 2012 at 02:40 PM
Shaggy Wolf
• • •
p.2447 #8 · p.2447 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

jbear2000 wrote:
But the one thing that has always struck home for me is this. If you buy a tool to use, and you never use it, or despise every minute using it, it is an expensive waste of money! VS a tool you enjoy and use every chance you get and you accomplish your tasks with ease... that technology is downright cheap by comparison.

The wonderful part about technology is...the more you use it...and the more you get used to using it, and the better you get at it (and the more technical you become)...the more it drives you crazy. Doesn't matter what it is. I've been a Linux user for years, and there's things about it that drive me nuts. I used my Mac as my primary system for quite a while, and there's things about it that drive me nuts. Same thing with Windows. They all have their advantages and disadvantages.

Just don't get me started on browsers. I hate browsers. I haven't had a browser I've liked in 5 or 10 years. They all drive me crazy. Firefox is at least behaving, at the moment, only using 1.5G of the 8G of memory available on my system...had it up to 3.7G, the other day

It really just comes down to what you are comfortable with using, what tasks you are trying to do, and how much work you want to do. I use a (gasp) iPod to listen to my music, because it just works. I went for a Nook over a Kindle due to Amazon's stupidity with locking their material (though, I still prefer dead tree format books). I use Fedora Linux on my workstations, but one of my two server machines is running Debian - no RHEL on ARM, and Fedora moves to quickly for me to really want to base infrastructure on it. My other server runs RHEL6. I use a Windows machine for some things, because Sibelius and Photoshop just work better under it (compared to Linux), as do my games. I probably won't ever had an iPad, I do have some issues with Apple's heavy handed approach to things. I use an Android phone, but that was a major concession on my part, since Google drives me nuts a lot of the time, too. I wish Nokia had continued to develop Symbian.

Anyway...that's that. Stay off my lawn, and I'll stay off of yours

Mar 09, 2012 at 02:55 PM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.2447 #9 · p.2447 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Shaggy, you said "crazy" or "nuts" at least five times in that post. You're starting to worry me....

Mark

Mar 09, 2012 at 03:14 PM
Wrei
• • • •
p.2447 #10 · p.2447 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Funny how several talk about Apple's "heavy hand" for their products...and what has MS done, the same. They put out a beta for their product to SW developers who tell them issues, then they do very little prior to the initial release where thousands stay up late to invade their Best Buy store to purchase the latest serving from MS. These people then try to test the release to find bugs so they can be the first to notify MS. MS dribbles releases over the years to fix the little stuff, but saves the big problems for a fix as a future release. (What a great process for a market survey?) All the while, SW producers have to live with what MS allows. So what is your choice, it's MS or Apple...at least you have a choice which evil heavy hander you want to support.

Mar 09, 2012 at 03:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

richhrly
• • •
p.2447 #11 · p.2447 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Italian Tonka Time

Mar 09, 2012 at 03:44 PM
gerov
• • • • •
p.2447 #12 · p.2447 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Rich,
that is a fabulous shot. I see we're back to gel-aire again

Gero

Mar 09, 2012 at 03:54 PM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.2447 #13 · p.2447 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

gerov wrote:
Rich,
that is a fabulous shot. I see we're back to gel-aire again

Gero

+1 - Never seen that aspect of a Tonka before.

Mar 09, 2012 at 05:01 PM
Shaggy Wolf
• • •
p.2447 #14 · p.2447 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Mark - I think you must be going crazy, I did no such thing!

Wrei - At this point, Apple might be passing MS in the heavy hand department...I don't particularly care to support either of them, outside of some specific applications. Tablets, smartphones, and similar are causing a paradigm shift in computing. MS has missed this boat, and if they can't get back on, we'll see a huge upset. I don't think they'll go away anytime soon, but definitely a reduction in size. Apple, however, is constructing these giant walled gardens that people are lining up to get into.

Maybe I'm just getting old (at 27...). I use an iPod, but it's mostly music that I've ripped from my own CDs. I have a Nook, but almost every book I buy is a real book. Tablet computing doesn't fit my usage of computers, so I don't have one. It may also be that, coming from the computer industry, I just don't trust digital anything. For instance - recently, an online game where you played for free, but purchased ingame items with real money, just shut down. All of the money the players spent on their character's toys is gone forever. Who's to say that this couldn't happen with Kindle books, or anything digital? It's mostly a flaw of DRM, but still. I prefer a real, tangible item in my hand.

Rich - nice tonka! Wish more of those came over to this side of the pond.

Mar 09, 2012 at 05:26 PM
stevezzzz
• • • •
p.2447 #15 · p.2447 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Jeff W. wrote:
+1 - Never seen that aspect of a Tonka before.

Ditto, I'm sure. Wowser, Rich!

Mar 09, 2012 at 05:39 PM
Wrei
• • • •
p.2447 #16 · p.2447 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Since I do not run a lemonade conglomerate, I don't have a need or use for a tablet or multifunction phone (well, I do use the clock on the phone vs. a wrist watch). I do use a computer. I don't have a problem with what you guys are saying about Apple or MS. I agree, like I did earlier with Rodolfo, they both have their weaknesses. (Like our two political parties, I am ready for a third, more common sense party.) I look at computers like my camera gear. I want to use them, not work on them. Routine maintenance is to be expected to keep them operating at their expected capability, and I am OK with that.

Mar 09, 2012 at 05:40 PM
Jeff W.
• • • •
p.2447 #17 · p.2447 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Hey JW: If memory serves me correctly you spent some time with the Hasselblad folks in the recent past. How was that experience? I had an opportunity to play with a friends H4D-40 yesterday and feel in love. I'm already planning a series of bank heists to fund the switch from Canon

While they don't have the long glass like Canon, for everything else they would be a hoot. This guy uses their HC 3.5/35 mm lens with the HTS 1.5 tilt/shift adapter - a very slick setup for architectural work. I wondered what your impressions were?

Mar 09, 2012 at 05:40 PM
Donald Gray
• • • •
p.2447 #18 · p.2447 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

stevez wrote:
Ditto, I'm sure. Wowser, Rich!

They have said it for me too, Rich - a real cracker.

Mar 09, 2012 at 07:26 PM
futurshox
• • • •
p.2447 #19 · p.2447 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Well, let me jump in to be a data point in the computer fray.

A loooooong time ago, we were a purely Linux house. My better half liked to tinker with computers and I got caught up in that. Ended up doing a Red Hat training course, so (at least back then) I roughly knew my way around a Linux box.

And then along came Apple with their Linuxified OSX, and I ended up with a Windows box. Not quite sure how that happened, although I think Lightwave 3D and Microsoft flight sim had a lot to do with it.

Roll on a few years later and now we are a mostly Apple house. I retain one Windows laptop on which I do my regular work, while Apple stuff gets used for photos and video and Life In General. I definitely want to get things done with a computer, rather than fiddle with the computer itself.

So maybe I'm not making much of a point, except maybe to illustrate that people and their needs change as much as the hardware does...

And then Rich posts that splendid Tonka shot :-) The wing roots at that angle look so much like bird feathers, don't you think?

Mar 09, 2012 at 07:35 PM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.2447 #20 · p.2447 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Don't know how many here have contributed there but Airshow Buzz has "Gone West"

http://www.airshowbuzz.com/go/intro/asb

Mar 09, 2012 at 08:53 PM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password