1       2       3              2445      
       2447              4533       4534       end

Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

MMcGrath
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2446 #1 · p.2446 #1 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Similar deal for me.
My brother bought a Macbook then an iPhone 4. After seeing how these were compared to my laptop & Blackberry I decided to make the switch to the iPhone 4. Then when I could afford it I went for the Macbook Air which really is the ultimate travel computer for someone interested in photography as its small & light weight but with the full ability to do editing on the go via LR.

Mar 08, 2012 at 09:43 PM
Tim Adams
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2446 #2 · p.2446 #2 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I have played with the tablets, but I have laptop. If you have a good laptop I see no need for a tablet. I don't need to be connected 24/7.

Mar 08, 2012 at 09:59 PM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.2446 #3 · p.2446 #3 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Tim,

I agree with you to an extent about the laptop. The MBA can do the majority of what I want when on the move.
If I were to own a tablet, I think I would use it more as an advanced version of a Kindle type device & purchase magazines this way rather than buying the traditional paper versions.

Mark

Mar 08, 2012 at 10:11 PM
Angry
• • •
p.2446 #4 · p.2446 #4 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

pfnskyshots wrote:
You have to pry my iPad from my cold, dead hands (along with my guns and Bibles!)

I love the comment about guns n bibles !!!,

You guys crack me up.

Weve had huge floods down under in my part of the world, one of the largest rivers in Australia runs right through town. With 3 months of rain falling in a week theres water everywhere, the older part of town has a Levee protecting it which is 25/30' high, the Murrumbidgee river peaked on Wednesday night @ 10.5metres .
Tnhere has been about 8000 people evacuated as it was feared the
...Show more

Edited on Mar 08, 2012 at 11:59 PM · View previous versions

Mar 08, 2012 at 10:30 PM
Wrei
• • • •
p.2446 #5 · p.2446 #5 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

In 1998 I asked my college bound daughter which OS she wanted, PC or Mac. She said "If I want to work on a computer, I would buy a PC, but I want a computer to do work on, I prefer a Mac." So I got her a Mac. Shortly after that, Apple/Mac went through an identify crisis and franchised their OS to computer mfgrs. Software for Macs were not as plentiful, so I had a company build me a Windows OS computer. Unfortunately, I have been working on computers and peripherals since. And then I got Vista. MS's answer to the blue screen and crashes was a new OS. I am not paying $100 to fix their problems. I am deciding what Mac will be my next. I will eventually end up with a desk top and a lap top. I cannot wait!

Mar 08, 2012 at 10:31 PM
Tim Adams
• • • •
p.2446 #6 · p.2446 #6 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Wrei wrote:
In 1998 I asked my college bound daughter which OS she wanted, PC or Mac. She said "If I want to work on a computer, I would buy a PC, but I want a computer to do work on, I prefer a Mac." So I got her a Mac. Shortly after that, Apple/Mac went through an identify crisis and franchised their OS to computer mfgrs. Software for Macs were not as plentiful, so I had a company build me a Windows OS computer. Unfortunately, I have been working on computers and peripherals since. And then I got Vista. MS's answer
...Show more

Win 7 is so much better. The only BSD's I have gotten were from overclocking memory, the CPU and the video card. Mine runs 24/7, is always connected to the net, with no issues.

Mar 08, 2012 at 10:53 PM
MMcGrath
• • • •
p.2446 #7 · p.2446 #7 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I'd agree with Tim that Windows 7 is by far the best iteration of Windows there has been.
Lion on the Mac however is a step above.

As a comparison, boot up time on the Macbook Air with i5 processor is under 30 seconds. PC with i5 processor & double the RAM of the Macbook Air is nearly 2 minutes at times.

Mar 08, 2012 at 11:05 PM
Tim Adams
• • • •
p.2446 #8 · p.2446 #8 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

MMcGrath wrote:
I'd agree with Tim that Windows 7 is by far the best iteration of Windows there has been.
Lion on the Mac however is a step above.

As a comparison, boot up time on the Macbook Air with i5 processor is under 30 seconds. PC with i5 processor & double the RAM of the Macbook Air is nearly 2 minutes at times.

I agree, that's why I never shut my desktop off.

Mar 08, 2012 at 11:26 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.2446 #9 · p.2446 #9 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

NightOwl Cat wrote:
I still have my iPod Mini (6GB) and it works fine, did the battery replacement myself once. I also have the iPod Classic 160GB.

I use an older version of this Sandisk Sansa Clip to get the most portable thing possible. It's $62 for 8GB, and with an additional 32GB card inserted cost me a grand total of $90 for 40GB of flash-memory storage. Love it beyond description, including the fact that it doesn't lock me down to just MP3: it supports MP3, WMA, secure WMA, Ogg Vorbis, and FLAC.

Mar 08, 2012 at 11:26 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.2446 #10 · p.2446 #10 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Wrei wrote:
And then I got Vista. MS's answer to the blue screen and crashes was a new OS. I am not paying $100 to fix their problems. I am deciding what Mac will be my next.

Ray, no one -- absolutely no one is immune to crappy releases. Remember just a week or two ago how Jim upgraded his MacOS and everything went to hell in a handbasket? Apple's had dogs before, Microsoft has had dogs before. I love Linux, but Red Hat has also had dogs before. There is no perfect supplier, they're all going to screw you at some point with bad code.

I run an enterprise-class firewall/router at home, with integrated WiFi repeaters around the house. Serious devices. And guess what the only things that have trouble with network connections? Macs. Apple has not followed the WiFi standards to the letter, so some useful broadband features that allow higher bandwidth needed to be turned off before the MBA, MBP, or iPad would work well.

Macs are great and they generally work very well... but this halo of infallibility they have in some circles is nothing but wishful thinking. They break too. Everything does at some point. Buy a Mac because you like it, and you'll be happy. Don't buy it because you think it'll never give you headaches, because it will at some point.

Mar 08, 2012 at 11:38 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.2446 #11 · p.2446 #11 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

MMcGrath wrote:

Mark, that's not a fair comparison (though I'm sure it's unintentionally so), unless your PC also has an SSD like the MBA does. My Win7 desktop does use a fast SSD for the boot drive, and I'm looking at a login screen 22 seconds after I touch the power button.

Mar 08, 2012 at 11:40 PM
FlyingPhotog
• • • •
p.2446 #12 · p.2446 #12 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

We interrupt this discussion for a random act of aviation...

Note Smile In Back Seat...

Carry On...

Mar 09, 2012 at 12:13 AM
threemilesfina
• •
p.2446 #13 · p.2446 #13 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

I keep hmm'ng about getting an iPad since my laptop decided to die a not-so-graceful death.

Only got an iPhone 4 reluctantly after three years on the Blackberry but so far the only thing I dislike still is the touch keyboard.

Speedair 03 pulling in for the night.

Another Kingfisher Airbus on its way to its Lessor.

Mar 09, 2012 at 12:31 AM
msalvetti
• • • •
p.2446 #14 · p.2446 #14 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Angry wrote:
Weve had huge floods down under in my part of the world, one of the largest rivers in Australia runs right through town. With 3 months of rain falling in a week theres water everywhere, the older part of town has a Levee protecting it which is 25/30' high, the Murrumbidgee river peaked on Wednesday night @ 10.5metres .
Tnhere has been about 8000 people evacuated as it was feared the Levee was about to fail...( a close thing ).
No one was hurt , about 100 houses got wet when an outerlying suburb got inundated.

Wow Alan. Didn't Australia have flooding on a biblical scale last year? I have to admit I don't know my Australian geography very well - different location? I haven't read anything about the current situation. Stay safe.

What's the forecast for Melbourne next weekend?

Mark

Mar 09, 2012 at 12:46 AM
Wrei
• • • •
p.2446 #15 · p.2446 #15 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

From Rodolfo: "Ray, no one -- absolutely no one is immune to crappy releases."

I agree, but when they make you buy a new full version for the fix (especially after years of updates to Vista), well, that turns me off. I was a Apple/Mac user from 1983 until 1999 with no issues.

Mar 09, 2012 at 01:19 AM
Angry
• • •
p.2446 #16 · p.2446 #16 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

In October 2010 it was the same thing.......same place not quite as bad..

mother natures scary when she wants to be...

Were OK,

Bernie has organised it , its fine, well fine for melbourne ,......
if Bernie says its OK then its OK....

we just had the opening round of Aussie V8 Touring cars on last wekend in Adelaide , ( sorry guys THE best Touring car Championship in the World !!) & the weather was mild for Adelaide...around 25C n no rain....Adelaides either 40C or pouring rain @ 20C....lol

Now Sydney is copping a real rain event with water everywhere yesterday..

Google Earth Wagga Wagga NSW, (where I live), Sydney & Melbourne you'll get the general layout, main cities are Sydney, Melbourne, Canberra (national Capital of Oz) Brisbane, all on the east coast, Adelaide in the middle & Perth way over on the west coast.

Al

Edited on Mar 09, 2012 at 04:07 AM · View previous versions

Mar 09, 2012 at 01:30 AM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.2446 #17 · p.2446 #17 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Wrei wrote:
I agree, but when they make you buy a new full version for the fix (especially after years of updates to Vista), well, that turns me off. I was a Apple/Mac user from 1983 until 1999 with no issues.

I'm certainly no Microsoft apologist. If I had access to Adobe products like PS and LR on Linux, I wouldn't touch MS stuff with a ten-foot-pole. And I actually like Apple products: it's just the stratospheric pricing, limited choice, jail-your-customer mentality, and extortionist twists like banning others (e.g. Amazon and B&N) from selling their own products via their own apps that get my goat.

I'll give Apple a better score for reliability, functionality, and elegance every day of the week and twice on Sunday. I just feel sometimes that the size of those advantages is exaggerated and needs a reality check.

Mar 09, 2012 at 02:25 AM
Shaggy Wolf
• • •
p.2446 #18 · p.2446 #18 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
I love Linux, but Red Hat has also had dogs before.

As an employee of Red Hat...nuh uh!

Mar 09, 2012 at 02:37 AM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.2446 #19 · p.2446 #19 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Very, very few dogs, of course. Only a couple that I can remember, and all those way back in the mists of time. I should have said "...even the eternally-awesome Red Hat...". Pardon the vague and insufficiently-clear phrasing.

Always knew you were a stand-up guy, Shaggy. Current or former employee? What area? Care to share some details of what you do (or did) at the world's first company to hit almost a billion dollars in annual sales while selling and/or supporting almost exclusively open-source products?

So I worship the company... sue me.

Mar 09, 2012 at 02:41 AM
Colin Giersberg
• • • •
p.2446 #20 · p.2446 #20 · Mustang Air to Air: The Sequel

Happy belated birthday, Rodolfo. Hope you had a blast.

Regards, Colin

Mar 09, 2012 at 03:21 AM

FM Forums | City, Street & Architecture | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password