New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2007 · Panagor PMC 24mm f2.5

Rik Martens

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Panagor PMC 24mm f2.5

I just bought a Panagor PMC 24mm f2.5 for my Nikon camera's.
I was looking for a Nikkor 24mm but these are hard to come by.
So I bought the Panagor for just 45 euro's.
Does anybody have experiance with the same lense in addition to the Nikkor 24mm? Is it a good choise? All I know that it's very cheap.
I hope somebody can give me some valual information about this lense.
All I know about it is that is probably made by Kiron which is formed by former emloyees of the Nikon company. But can I compare this lense with the original Nikkor?

Dec 17, 2007 at 09:29 AM
Leen Koper

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Panagor PMC 24mm f2.5

Panagor was imported in the Netherlands by Senfor BV and, indeed, manufactured by former Nikon employees. About 20 years ago Senfor closed down and that was the end of Panagor in the Netherlands. Panagor lenses were pretty good at the standards of that time, some even up to par with Nikon, but standards have risen, due to the advent of digital.

Dec 17, 2007 at 10:42 AM
Rik Martens

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Panagor PMC 24mm f2.5

I only gonna use the 24mm on my F3. So I think the quality is good in this combination. As you can see I old school as it comes to photography.
I work a lot in countries as Haïti and Mexico. So I like to use camera's that I can rely on. So I can still take pictures even when the batteries fail me.

Dec 17, 2007 at 10:56 AM
Elan II
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Panagor PMC 24mm f2.5

Rik, I've heard of the Panagor 24/2.5, but never actually seen one and would love to see a pic. Kiron (Kino Precision), the ex Nikon employees that started a lens company and probably what Leen is referring to, made many of the Panagor lenses. But they never made a 24/2.5, only 2.0 & 2.8. So I'm wondering if Panagor actually made this one, or if it's perhaps the Tamron 24/2.5. My guess is that this is the Kiron 24/2.8 with the speed misstated, a common practice at that time.

A couple of pics will solve the mystery here, if you have the time. If it's the Kiron and if your copy was treated well, you'll be very happy with it, although it does tend to flare a little outdoors.

Dec 17, 2007 at 11:29 AM
Rik Martens

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Panagor PMC 24mm f2.5

Hello Elan II
I will receive the lense the day after tomorrow but here is the link to the site where I bought it.
I cannot download the picture because it's protected but this way you can see the picture.
http://fotografie.marktplaats.nl/lenzen-en-filters/135439935-panagor-pmc-24mm-f-2-5-auto-wide-angle-voor-nikon.html

Dec 17, 2007 at 12:52 PM
Elan II
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Panagor PMC 24mm f2.5

Okay, you had me stumped there for a minute, but I think I have it figured out. As far as I know, the only 24/2.5 made was the Tamron. That one is too different from your Panagor to be a match, and Panagor didn't actually make any lenses as far as I've been able to ascertain. Rather, they tried to use the Vivitar formula of branding high quality lenses from small manufacturers with their name and marketing those in wealthy markets, like the U.S. and Europe.

Kiron, one of the best no-name manufacturers of all time, was connected at the hip with Vivitar, who sold most of their lenses at premium prices under their prestigious "Series One" label. So when Kiron sold the same lenses under their own name, they crippled the specs a little to make them appear different. Not in every case, but in enough of them to create a pattern of confusion.

Panagor sold some of the Kiron products, but again, some of the information was distorted. One of the best examples I can think of is their famous 2x macro-focusing TC, which has seven elements. Under the Panagor name, the same TC is said to have four elements. The Kiron actually does have seven elements, I took one apart so I know. I bet you anything that the Panagor does too. This is such a unique product that there's no way a second design was ever made, way too much engineering work for such a low volume item. So my conclusion is that they are identical and the specs are misstated, and I will prove that one day. Long background I know, but I enjoy blabbering about this stuff, so I hope you excuse that.

Thats leading to your lens. I believe this is actually the Kiron 24/2.0. It has the same look, same 0.4m minimum focusing distance, and the same 55mm filter thread. The build looks more like a Komine, which did make a 24/2.0 also, but that one had a 52mm filter thread and a 0.3m minimum focusing distance. So that rules it out, especially the focusing distance. Now tell me what you think.

Your lens:
http://fotos.marktplaats.nl/kopen/5/b5/SIWHIzSs869lf8Wfx0liCg==.jpg

The Kiron 24/2.0:
http://homepage3.nifty.com/3rdpartylens-om/kiron24mm.jpg

Now as far as the speed, they can actually cripple the aperture very easily to 2.5. But if you have roughly the same amount of travel between the 2.5 and the 2.8 as between the 2.8 and the 4.0, then you have a 24/2.0. You can set your Non-CPU lens data to 2.0 and shoot at all apertures indoors and out. If she exposes correctly at 2.0 or even 2.2, then she's a 2.0.

I'll be curious to see the results btw, close up and at infinity.

Edited by Elan II on Dec 17, 2007 at 07:51 PM GMT

Dec 17, 2007 at 04:12 PM
Elan II
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Panagor PMC 24mm f2.5

This is the Komine btw, with the Vivitar brand. Looks like an even better match, but I can't overcome the minimum focusing distance difference. Unless there's a "0.3" hiding further around the barrel of your lens.

http://homepage3.nifty.com/3rdpartylens-om/vivitar24.jpg

Dec 17, 2007 at 04:20 PM
Rik Martens

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Panagor PMC 24mm f2.5

It sure looks more like the Kiron to me.
As soon as I have the Panagor I will test it and I will come back with the results. But it looks like it's a rare model. Doesn't it?

Dec 17, 2007 at 04:38 PM
Elan II
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Panagor PMC 24mm f2.5

Rarity is really not important. A lens can be rare and suck, and a common lens like the Nikon MF 24/2.8 can be superb. I have a Komine 28/2.5 that is sharp wide open. My other Komines are all very good too. Same for every one of my Kirons, so you're in good shape regardless. If the lens was mint, the Komine is rarer and would be worth more to a collector. It looks to be quite departed from mint though.

Dec 17, 2007 at 05:09 PM
Russtopher

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Panagor PMC 24mm f2.5

I have and use a Panagor 24mm f/2.5 lens. It's pretty good.

Jul 24, 2015 at 02:11 PM
Russtopher

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Panagor PMC 24mm f2.5

How do I submit sample images?

Nov 07, 2018 at 01:27 PM
Russtopher

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Panagor PMC 24mm f2.5

Russtopher wrote:

Nov 07, 2018 at 02:48 PM
jstrawman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Panagor PMC 24mm f2.5

Duplicate

Edited on Nov 07, 2018 at 04:09 PM · View previous versions

Nov 07, 2018 at 04:07 PM
jstrawman
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Panagor PMC 24mm f2.5

Russtopher wrote:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/faqforum.php

Nov 07, 2018 at 04:08 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.