Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              566      
       568       end

Alternative Image Thread 3

sflxn
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.567 #1 · Alternative Image Thread 3

denoir wrote:
I have a 5.8 GHz analog video downlink that has a range of 1+ km. I have not flown further than about 400m up and 1 km away but others have pushed it much furhter. On the ground side I have a reciever hooked up to a monitor. I can see what the camera sees plus an overlay of information that shows me the battery status, drone position, speed, number of GPS satellites locked etc

That other version with a built in camera uses Wi-Fi to give a live feed, and yes, the range is much shorter compared to the analog
...Show more

The specs on their website says the radio transmitter only go as far as 300m. What good is an analog video downlink of 1km if you can only control it up to 300m?

Why did you chose the GoPro model instead of the DJI camera? High res video? The DJI camera looks like it will take still images in RAW.

Feb 07, 2014 at 07:06 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.567 #2 · Alternative Image Thread 3

denoir wrote:
Hi Carsten As things are now it's completely unregulated. However IMO one should be a bit careful. The thing weighs about 4 kg and crashing it onto a busy street probably wouldn't be good. I'm also not sure how happy they would be if I flew it over the royal palace (next to gamla stan).

Yeah, I can see that. However, rather than fly around all over the place, I could imagine that simply going somewhere, and flying up and then down would still get you some interesting shots. Personally, I would try hooking up a camera like the Olympus E-PL5, very nice image quality and very small and light, or even my Sony A7.

What Phantom are you flying, the plain Phantom 2, like this:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=171214311538

Feb 07, 2014 at 07:29 AM
denoir
• • • •
p.567 #3 · Alternative Image Thread 3

sflxn wrote:
The specs on their website says the radio transmitter only go as far as 300m. What good is an analog video downlink of 1km if you can only control it up to 300m?

The stock radio transmitter on the phantom 2 (not vision) is officially rated for 1 km ( http://www.dji.com/tech-spec/phantom-2-spec/ ), but in reality it's more like 2-3 km.

The Phantom 2 Vision model uses Wi-Fi and has a shorter range (300m in theory, half of that in practice)

Why did you chose the GoPro model instead of the DJI camera? High res video? The DJI camera looks like it will take still images in RAW.

Yep, as well as video stabilization and range. The Phantom 2 has a gimbal that the gopro is mounted on while the Phantom 2 Vision has the camera attached directly to the fuselage which results in shaky footage.

Feb 07, 2014 at 07:35 AM
denoir
• • • •
p.567 #4 · Alternative Image Thread 3

carstenw wrote:
Yeah, I can see that. However, rather than fly around all over the place, I could imagine that simply going somewhere, and flying up and then down would still get you some interesting shots. Personally, I would try hooking up a camera like the Olympus E-PL5, very nice image quality and very small and light, or even my Sony A7.

What Phantom are you flying, the plain Phantom 2, like this:

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=171214311538

Unfortunately you'd have to get something more heavyweight to carry an A7 or E-PL5. From what I understand, using the Rx100 is already pushing it.

Yeah, it's a stock DJI Phantom 2, with a Zenmuse H3-2D Gimbal and a AVL58 video downlink. I'll probably add another component later that allows for autonomous flight (you define waypoints on an map on a tablet).

Feb 07, 2014 at 07:39 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.567 #5 · Alternative Image Thread 3

Ah, the 1.3kg includes the chopter itself? That is too bad. Well, the RX100 is also a nice camera.

Wait, so the Phantom 2 + Gimbal + downlink = 1000g + 230g + 22g + 60g = 1312g, so the camera should weigh -12g to hit the max payload weight? How does that work?

Feb 07, 2014 at 09:33 AM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.567 #6 · Alternative Image Thread 3

Hmm. The Panasonic GM1+kit lens is 274g, as far as I can tell, which is in the same ballpark as the RX100 II. The sensor has about twice the area, so I presume a higher image quality, especially around dusk, which could be significant.

Feb 07, 2014 at 10:01 AM
denoir
• • • •
p.567 #7 · Alternative Image Thread 3

carstenw wrote:
Ah, the 1.3kg includes the chopter itself? That is too bad. Well, the RX100 is also a nice camera.

Wait, so the Phantom 2 + Gimbal + downlink = 1000g + 230g + 22g + 60g = 1312g, so the camera should weigh -12g to hit the max payload weight? How does that work?

The 230g for the gimbal is including the Gopro. So it's quad= 1000 + gimbal & camera = 230 + downlink tx with antenna = 50 g => Total of 1280g which is slightly below the max recommended takeoff weight.

Having said that, it's only a recommendation. People have done stuff such as mounting a full DSLR on them:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhaocIQounQ

.. and that was on a Phantom 1 that had smaller propellers and a lower recommended take off weight.

I would not do something as extreme though for a couple of reasons:
1) It will drain your battery much quicker.
2) It will fly like crap, making it more likely that you hit things
3) It might work OK when there's no wind, but a strong gust of wind might make it crash

carstenw wrote:
Hmm. The Panasonic GM1+kit lens is 274g, as far as I can tell, which is in the same ballpark as the RX100 II. The sensor has about twice the area, so I presume a higher image quality, especially around dusk, which could be significant.

That could definitely work, but you'd still need some way of triggering the shutter. The RX100 II has Wi Fi which you can use (although not a brilliant idea in itself as the Tx uses the same frequency: http://blog.chasejarvis.com/blog/2013/12/dji-drone-fail-over-iceland-waters-chasejarvistech/ )

Feb 07, 2014 at 03:22 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.567 #8 · Alternative Image Thread 3

The GM1 also has Wireless:

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonic-lumix-dmc-gm1/7

And a remote:

http://www.digitaltoyshop.com/TM-D_Timer_remote_control_Panasonic_Lumix_DMC-GX1_t2728_6225_1

And an intervalometer, I believe. And there are some great lenses for the MFT system too, in case you don't want the kit lens.

Feb 07, 2014 at 07:41 PM
sflxn
• • •
p.567 #9 · Alternative Image Thread 3

I was thinking a smartphone would be a good platform to use on this phantom. If wifi is conflicting with the transmitter, you could just use cellular for controlling the camera. It would also fit the weight constraint. I have seen much more expensive drones take up heavier cameras, but when I went to price them, they were selling for north of 10k. Imagine the large panoramic shots you could stitch together with a good drone setup that you can program.

Feb 07, 2014 at 11:36 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.567 #10 · Alternative Image Thread 3

What you really want is 5 drones, flying in formation, releasing at exactly the same time so that no moving objects get in the way of a good stitch

Feb 07, 2014 at 11:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sflxn
• • •
p.567 #11 · Alternative Image Thread 3

carstenw wrote:
What you really want is 5 drones, flying in formation, releasing at exactly the same time so that no moving objects get in the way of a good stitch

GoPro claims they can control up to something like 50 cameras at the same time with their software. We're talking Matrix style wrap around on a city level. It's going to happen.

I've been wanting to get a drone but 10k for a setup that can take up a heavier camera is a bit much for something you could easily crash, and that doesn't include camera costs. Denoir setup costs 1.8k. It's definitely a unique look and unique way to tell a story. The Phantom carry case is pretty compact and convenient for travel. Even with the GoPro limitations, I am very interested. The Phantom is a cool platform since you can navigaate it via GPS.

Feb 08, 2014 at 12:09 AM
Grenache
• • •
p.567 #12 · Alternative Image Thread 3

A little monochrome.
Jim

Contax 2/100:

Medusa by Only_to_be_kind, on Flickr

Minolta 2/28:

JAWS! by Only_to_be_kind, on Flickr

Feb 09, 2014 at 10:39 PM
Cadaver
• •
p.567 #13 · Alternative Image Thread 3

Canon t3i with Nikon 200mm f4 AIS

Cadaver 2014

Winter Branch

Feb 13, 2014 at 03:29 PM
Tarocco
• •
p.567 #14 · Alternative Image Thread 3

A few shots with my new favorite lens - Zuiko 50 f2 macro on a Canon 6D. It's amazingly sharp, even wide open; renders with lots of pop and the bokeh is pretty good. Add really great macro performance and it's close to a perfect all-rounder.

Mar 02, 2014 at 07:23 PM
helimat
• • • •
p.567 #15 · Alternative Image Thread 3

7 days?! Time to bump it up!

Sony RX1 by helimat, on Flickr

Ricoh GR (from jpg) by helimat, on Flickr

Sigma DP2 Merrill by helimat, on Flickr

Mar 09, 2014 at 05:16 PM
a.RodriguezPix
• • • •
Account locked
p.567 #16 · Alternative Image Thread 3

FUJIFILM FP-100C , Mamiya RB67 Pro. S, with the Polaroid back plus, Mamiya Wide Angle 65mm f/4.5 Lens

#5 B&W

Mar 25, 2014 at 11:50 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.567 #17 · Alternative Image Thread 3

Canon EF 135/2.8 Soft Focus

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    EF135mm f/2.8 (with Softfocus) lens    135mm    f/2.8    1/80s    200 ISO    -0.7 EV  

Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III    EF135mm f/2.8 (with Softfocus) lens    135mm    f/2.8    1/125s    200 ISO    -1.0 EV  

Mar 27, 2014 at 06:13 PM
Taylor Sherman
• • •
p.567 #18 · Alternative Image Thread 3

Yikes, hadn't seen the new Flickr UI until now. Think this is the right thing to do. . . they sure made it even less clear!

A7 + Summicron-M 28/2.

Mar 28, 2014 at 01:58 AM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.567 #19 · Alternative Image Thread 3

I wish Olympus made FF sensors, because I really like their color and contrast.

From RAW via LR5.4.

Happy Easter, Passover, and Spring!

Minolta MC 28/2.5 @ f/2.5

E-P2    1/1250s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Minolta MC 28/2.5 @ f/4.0

E-P2    1/500s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Minolta MC 28/2.5 @ f/5.6

E-P2    1/80s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Apr 19, 2014 at 12:07 AM
15Bit
• • • •
p.567 #20 · Alternative Image Thread 3

sflxn wrote:
I've been wanting to get a drone but 10k for a setup that can take up a heavier camera is a bit much for something you could easily crash, and that doesn't include camera costs.

Have you had a look round team black sheep? http://team-blacksheep.com

I wondered a few years back about how to get a decent camera onto one of the Zephyr wings, but they do pretty beefy-looking quadcopters now.

Or you could max out your credit card with something like this - http://kopterworx.com/dji-s1000-premium-a2-zenmuse-5d-iii.html

Apr 19, 2014 at 09:45 PM
       568       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

568       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password