Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              544      
       546              569       570       end

Alternative Image Thread 3

cogitech
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.545 #1 · p.545 #1 · Alternative Image Thread 3

A few from last weekend's trip to the bush; a glimpse into my new life in British Columbia:

2 with the Rokkor 58/1.2 on 5D:

We had spent the morning, since before sunrise, hunting a vast area of cut blocks and forest service roads. We stopped in a nice area, chopped some wood and the girls loaded the truck, then we had some stew.

2 with the Tamron 17/3.5 on 5D (have seen this tree many times, and finally brought my camera and captured it):

In the afternoon we shot a snowshoe hare and then headed home and I made Hare Pesto Linguine.

We'll do it all again tomorrow, but this time a white tail buck is coming home with us.

Nov 17, 2012 at 02:02 AM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.545 #2 · p.545 #2 · Alternative Image Thread 3

Something little in BW.

Nov 18, 2012 at 12:49 AM
wfrank
• • • •
p.545 #3 · p.545 #3 · Alternative Image Thread 3

Thanks sculptor, yes it is a sharp lens.

Really like the last flower shot, also aspect ratio and (somewhat) weird colors.

Cogtech, your first two shots is exactly why I like that lens. MF look for sure.

Pleasant tones Mescalamba, very handsome still life - almost defining the genre.

Nov 18, 2012 at 10:32 AM
pingflood
• • •
p.545 #4 · p.545 #4 · Alternative Image Thread 3

1DsII + PC-Nikkor 35/2.8 (the old "bad" version):

At full shift:

Nov 18, 2012 at 08:38 PM
bkwphoto
• •
p.545 #5 · p.545 #5 · Alternative Image Thread 3

Canon 5D Tamron 28-75 Yachats, Oregon Always big surf here.

Brian Karl Werner

Yachats, Oregon

Nov 19, 2012 at 01:19 AM
Phillip Reeve
• • •
p.545 #6 · p.545 #6 · Alternative Image Thread 3

my GF borrowed my Nex-5n for the week so i was forced to take out the borrowed 5dII
I hade to expose it quite different to the Nex to get good image detail in the shadows and colors.
So here are my first attempts:

I am still unsure which should be my next lens: Samylux 35 or C/Y 28/2.8? Right now i lean towards the Samyang.

Nov 19, 2012 at 11:35 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.545 #7 · p.545 #7 · Alternative Image Thread 3

Strange, these lack the clarity and colours of your usual images. I guess you have to learn the processing all over again for a new camera.

Nov 19, 2012 at 11:44 PM
Phillip Reeve
• • •
p.545 #8 · p.545 #8 · Alternative Image Thread 3

carstenw wrote:
Strange, these lack the clarity and colours of your usual images. I guess you have to learn the processing all over again for a new camera.

hmm, to my eyes the images look ok and i don't think that they would have looked that different if i had taken them with a Nex, the light was quite muted. Colors are different but not too much, based on my experience with a 550d i would have thought that it would be harder to get ok results.

Nov 19, 2012 at 11:52 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.545 #9 · p.545 #9 · Alternative Image Thread 3

Well, I am not sure what to say. I don't feel they have the pop and clarity of your usual images. If it was the light, then it was the light...

Nov 19, 2012 at 11:57 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.545 #10 · p.545 #10 · Alternative Image Thread 3

I lack some of the DANG too. NEX with G's is fine F/5.6 but FF need 1-2 steps more stopped down (thinking about #2:ish shots).

Regarding the lenses proposed they are very different. For me the Samyang 35 is much a people-shooting lens where's the CY 28 is more of a scenery one. The Samyang is probably sharper, but then we have the microcontrast boost of the CY countering that. Samyang is a beast whereas the 28 is a neat little fellow. But not tiny as the G's of course.

Nov 20, 2012 at 08:02 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Phillip Reeve
• • •
p.545 #11 · p.545 #11 · Alternative Image Thread 3

Thanks for the input, i hope i will find enough time with the Canon, the Nex is much easier to handle for me, so i fear that i won't use the Canon enough to get comfortable with it.

I lean towards the Samyang because it would be an interesting lens on my Nex as well (a big one though ) and more versatile plus i wouldn't have to worry about infinity focus.

Nov 20, 2012 at 10:23 AM
Peire
• • •
p.545 #12 · p.545 #12 · Alternative Image Thread 3

Phillip Reeve wrote:
Thanks for the input, i hope i will find enough time with the Canon, the Nex is much easier to handle for me, so i fear that i won't use the Canon enough to get comfortable with it.

I lean towards the Samyang because it would be an interesting lens on my Nex as well (a big one though ) and more versatile plus i wouldn't have to worry about infinity focus.

My 2 cents:I came through the similar process a year ago.I was pleased with Samyang 35/1.4 IQ on the nex (wide opened,close ups,poor lighting) compared to Distagons: 28/2.8 and 35/2.8 C/Y,but this feeling immediately disappeared when I compared images taken outside,at f5.6-f8 in a dull,overcast day and in good weather.

Samyang have won by a tiny bit in the corner sharpness in close-ups,but generally failed by rendering muted (I call them "dirty") colours and lack of crispness despite it's all-singin'-all dancing modern design.And it's huge combined with the NEX5/5N compared with D 28 and 35/2.8 C/Y.

Canon 5D2 was more forgiving - but overall conclusions were similar.

I'm saying all this not to discourage you from choosing Samyang - it is a very good lens for the money.And at the end of the day lens choice is a personal matter.

Good luck anyway.

Nov 20, 2012 at 12:45 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.545 #13 · p.545 #13 · Alternative Image Thread 3

Phillip Reeve wrote:
I am still unsure which should be my next lens: Samylux 35 or C/Y 28/2.8? Right now i lean towards the Samyang.

Get the Samyang and an Oly 28/3.5. A big, fast, smooth option and a tiny, sharp, landscape option...

Many will question my choice, but I chose the Oly 28/3.5 over 2 copies of the C/Y 28/2.8, so I have to encourage you to give one a try. Make sure to get one in mint condition (they are well under $100, so no big deal).

The Sammy is next on my list. Actually, it is the only lens on my list right now (but I am in no rush to buy new gear).

Nov 20, 2012 at 03:15 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.545 #14 · p.545 #14 · Alternative Image Thread 3

A couple of 5D3 + OM21/3.5 images, trying to catch Leonid meteor showers. This silly tiny lens grows on me every time I use it. I am considering a SY14 for a bigger sky view, but don't really want to take this lens off of the camera yet.

This night was pretty good. This was about the last image of the night, as the sun was rising. Liked the sky in this one.

This night was not good at all (last night, damn you NASA!). But my light painting got a little better, so all is not lost. There is one tiny shooting star on the right, and that was it!

Nov 20, 2012 at 03:58 PM
wayne seltzer
• • • •
p.545 #15 · p.545 #15 · Alternative Image Thread 3

Paul, nice to see your images of your girls with the Rokkor 58 again.
Interesting, older daughter is playing/using the tablet and the younger is whittling wood.
New school and old school! Nice Jeffrey pine.

Pingflood, beautiful b&w images!

MCO, nice night photography shots and good LP!
Did not have time last night to shoot the crescent moon.
Last night photography for me was the Sept Harvest moon and a Alcatraz at night shoot last month.

Nov 20, 2012 at 04:44 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.545 #16 · p.545 #16 · Alternative Image Thread 3

cogitech wrote:
Many will question my choice, but I chose the Oly 28/3.5 over 2 copies of the C/Y 28/2.8,

I've got both ... hard to go wrong with either.

If you could only have one "hidden gem" ... to me, the Oly 28/3.5 is the one. Some guy named Paul told me about it a few years ago ... and he was right.

Michelle ... keep it up and I'm gonna have to go shoot with my Oly 21/3.5 some again.

Nov 20, 2012 at 04:47 PM
Peire
• • •
p.545 #17 · p.545 #17 · Alternative Image Thread 3

Peire wrote:
My 2 cents:I came through the similar process a year ago.I was pleased with Samyang 35/1.4 IQ on the nex (wide opened,close ups,poor lighting) compared to Distagons: 28/2.8 and 35/2.8 C/Y,but this feeling immediately disappeared when I compared images taken outside,at f5.6-f8 in a dull,overcast day and in good weather.

Samyang have won by a tiny bit in the corner sharpness in close-ups,but generally failed by rendering muted (I call them "dirty") colours and lack of crispness despite it's all-singin'-all dancing modern design.And it's huge combined with the NEX5/5N compared with D 28 and 35/2.8 C/Y.

Canon 5D2 was more forgiving -
...Show more
Oly 28/3.5 could be a nice option indeed.I wasn't lucky with my first copy (too much red CAs) but the second one is really OK,so I keep it.Both C/Y Distagons are sharper in the corners WO,though.On both the NEX5N and 7.

Nov 20, 2012 at 04:53 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.545 #18 · p.545 #18 · Alternative Image Thread 3

mco_970 wrote:
This night was not good at all (last night, damn you NASA!). But my light painting got a little better, so all is not lost. There is one tiny shooting star on the right, and that was it!

Very nice shot! Makes me want to try light painting.

Did you ever catch your puma?

Nov 20, 2012 at 05:36 PM
mco_970
• • • • •
p.545 #19 · p.545 #19 · Alternative Image Thread 3

Thank you, Wayne and Rusty (Kent)!

carstenw wrote:
Very nice shot! Makes me want to try light painting.

Did you ever catch your puma?

Not yet, but I did consider the irony of being eaten by a lion while out sitting alone in a very dark meadow watching the Leonid showers, which appear to emanate from the constellation of Leo (the great lion of legend who could only be killed by Hercules).

Nov 20, 2012 at 06:03 PM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.545 #20 · p.545 #20 · Alternative Image Thread 3

Beautiful photos, Michelle.

One comment/question though; does anyone notice "blotchy" colours in these shots? Is it just my sub-standard workplace LCD, or is it something Michelle has done in PP, or is it something specific to the 5D3?

(I secretly suspect it is the camera, as I have seen other 5D3 images that looked distinctly "digital". Forgive me for bringing this up, please!)

Nov 20, 2012 at 06:46 PM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password