Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              542      
       544              571       572       end

Alternative Image Thread 3

helimat
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.543 #1 · p.543 #1 · Alternative Image Thread 3

Thanks everyone. Although I have to admit, I am confused by the ten minute comment. Too grody for ya?

Sep 13, 2012 at 03:49 PM
adrianb
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.543 #2 · p.543 #2 · Alternative Image Thread 3

Canon 5Dc + Helios 58mm f2

Canon EOS 5D    50mm    f/1.4    1/320s    200 ISO    0.0 EV  

Sep 14, 2012 at 01:10 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.543 #3 · p.543 #3 · Alternative Image Thread 3

helimat wrote:
Thanks everyone. Although I have to admit, I am confused by the ten minute comment. Too grody for ya?

10 minute wait ... hmmm, ya might have "missed the moment" ... ya think?

Despite the initial "gut check" ... the lighting adds drama/emphasis. Diggin' the reality, yet dramatic (vs. boring textbook) representation. License it and you can pay for college down the road.

I can see it on the brochure ... "So you want to be an OB-GYN doctor?"

It really is a great shot.

Sep 14, 2012 at 03:56 PM
helimat
• • • •
p.543 #4 · p.543 #4 · Alternative Image Thread 3

Thanks Rusty. I agree, had I waited the moment would have been long gone. I was told by the nurses most OB's do not allow the support person to even look over the curtain during a c-section, let alone photograph the moment so I consider myself lucky.

For those who requested it, here is a shot from about 10 minutes later:

0J7A0678 by helimat, on Flickr

Baby and mom having their first look at each other.

Cheers,

Mat

Sep 14, 2012 at 06:23 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.543 #5 · p.543 #5 · Alternative Image Thread 3

helimat wrote:
Thanks Rusty. I agree, had I waited the moment would have been long gone. I was told by the nurses most OB's do not allow the support person to even look over the curtain during a c-section, let alone photograph the moment so I consider myself lucky.

indeed, they didn't let me look over the curtain till the very moment you captured.

i was too eager to see to try to take a picture at that point.

Sep 14, 2012 at 06:45 PM
Jim Schemel
• • • •
p.543 #6 · p.543 #6 · Alternative Image Thread 3

helimat wrote:
Here is the birth of my daughter a few days back. The OB was kind enough to let me shoot during the procedure.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8038/7974312247_c4fd3011b9_b.jpg
0J7A0630 by helimat, on Flickr

5D3 + Sigmalux (Also posted in the monthly assignment thread)

Great Capture! Congratulations
-Jim

Sep 14, 2012 at 07:14 PM
carstenw
• • • • • •
p.543 #7 · p.543 #7 · Alternative Image Thread 3

helimat wrote:

Haha, it was a joke. I was there for my daughter's birth, and in fact, I was receiving, with some assistance, so I know what it is like. My daughter wasn't pale yellowish-white though, she was deep purple, and I quickly and discreetly asked if that was okay Obviously, I couldn't take photos, but I have a photo from just after the wash, which I love. I think that although I am happy I was there for the birth, I am somehow happy that the first photo I have is from when my daughter is all clean and cute and smiley

Sep 14, 2012 at 07:55 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.543 #8 · p.543 #8 · Alternative Image Thread 3

Has the Alt Image thread been superceded now by all special interest threads for every kind of lens maker? It's funny to see this thread sunk down, four or five days since its last posting.

Here's a new shot of one of my favorite models: Katie Perry Mop, my famous celebrity stunt double and stand-in. Jim Cowell encouraged me to revisit the Samyang 85, and yes, it is pretty decent, Jim. Thanks for the incentive on another thread.

5D2, Samyang 85 @ f/2, 1/200, ISO 50 with CPL and flash fill.

The ever perky, Ms. Mop:

Sep 19, 2012 at 08:21 PM
wfrank
• • • •
p.543 #9 · p.543 #9 · Alternative Image Thread 3

Nice facial expression Jim! :-)

Never tried that Samyang 85 but it is surely an exceptional lens in any measurable respect! Almost bought it once.

Agree about the thread, I used to spend time here but seem like an awful long time ago. Here's two shots from last summer. I am trying to recall what lens, it ought to be Samyang 35/1.4 but looks too wide so I am puzzled. Second is high ISO, possibly 1600.

Sep 19, 2012 at 08:59 PM
helimat
• • • •
p.543 #10 · p.543 #10 · Alternative Image Thread 3

Gunzorro wrote:
Has the Alt Image thread been superceded now by all special interest threads for every kind of lens maker? It's funny to see this thread sunk down, four or five days since its last posting.

It's a shame really. The alt image thread used to be a one-stop-shop for viewing images created with all types of gear, which was great for discovering new lenses and of course seeing the many different styles the great photographers here have. And before the alt board was fractionalized, there a better sense of community here IMO. Anyways, let's try to keep it going!

0J7A0352 by helimat, on Flickr

5D3+Sigmalux

Sep 20, 2012 at 04:29 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

adrianb
• • •
p.543 #11 · p.543 #11 · Alternative Image Thread 3

Canon 5Dc + Industar 50-2 ( 50mm f3.5 / m42)

Oct 01, 2012 at 06:01 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.543 #12 · p.543 #12 · Alternative Image Thread 3

helimat wrote:
It's a shame really. The alt image thread used to be a one-stop-shop for viewing images created with all types of gear, which was great for discovering new lenses and of course seeing the many different styles the great photographers here have. And before the alt board was fractionalized, there a better sense of community here IMO. Anyways, let's try to keep it going!

I got away from posting in this thread ... not because I'm not using alts, but because I'm doing more PP'ing than I felt was a fair representation of the glass. Part of the reason I like the alts so well, is because of how well corrected they are (the ones I've chosen) which means less correction, more creation in PP to S&P to taste. For others, they like the alts because of their inherent "character" ... good reasons either way.

I figure alt users aren't interested in my PP, they want to see the glass in its more 'natural' state. I spend more time in PC forum these days, but I haven't forgot the gang over here either. If you can handle a x-post or two and some PP (always disclosed), I'll see about tossing a few more this way.

Here's an Oly 18 vertical pano on a Kodak SLR/c from Horseshoe Bend. 4 images, three for the vertical pano +1 for exposure composite.

100% crop sooc jpg (sharpening at lowest setting) from the Oly

Oct 01, 2012 at 08:07 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.543 #13 · p.543 #13 · Alternative Image Thread 3

Rusty -- Thanks for posting!

I don't think anyone will mind PP. I see a lot of shots throughout the Alt threads, some of which are heavily PP'ed, more than I would ever do. But they are still from Alt origins and often very striking finished images.

Oct 02, 2012 at 05:08 AM
mann_p
• •
p.543 #14 · p.543 #14 · Alternative Image Thread 3

Hello everyone! I'm glad I dropped in here. I recently sold almost all of my m4/3 gear to come back to a dslr. Now instead of getting mainstream lenses I decided to go all legacy save the 85/1.8 Canon for my ever energetic 2 year old. I'm really loving everyone's photos here! So here are a few rather boring contributions

MIR-24H + 5D

Rokkor 58/1.2 + 5D

Oct 02, 2012 at 06:16 AM
cogitech
• • • • • •
p.543 #15 · p.543 #15 · Alternative Image Thread 3

mann_p, nice gear choice. The 5D + Rokkor 58/1.2 is a match made in heaven, IMO. If I could have only one camera and lens it is those that I would keep.

Everyone else, I am lurking quite a bit recently and glad to see this thread has survived. You all continue to post some really beautiful work.

The photography bug is nibbling at me once again, although I am taking many more photos with my mind than with my cameras... Spending tons of time in the middle of the bush these days. I really need to take my camera along with my guns.

Oct 02, 2012 at 04:33 PM
mann_p
• •
p.543 #16 · p.543 #16 · Alternative Image Thread 3

cogitech wrote:
mann_p, nice gear choice. The 5D + Rokkor 58/1.2 is a match made in heaven, IMO. If I could have only one camera and lens it is those that I would keep.

Everyone else, I am lurking quite a bit recently and glad to see this thread has survived. You all continue to post some really beautiful work.

The photography bug is nibbling at me once again, although I am taking many more photos with my mind than with my cameras... Spending tons of time in the middle of the bush these days. I really need to take my camera along
...Show more

Thanks, Cogitech. I really do think I've made a good choice in the 58/1.2. I went through four legacy 50/1.4 brands before settling on one- given the skyrocketing prices of f/1.2 lenses today and a limited budget I thought it's now or never.

You should really bring along your camera in the bushes. You'll never know when you'll come across something beautiful.. then you would be shooting something else entirely

Some shots from a nice afternoon walk with my 2 yr old daughter today:

Oct 03, 2012 at 02:43 PM
mann_p
• •
p.543 #17 · p.543 #17 · Alternative Image Thread 3

Tokina RMC 17mm f/3.5 + 5D

Oct 07, 2012 at 02:28 PM
Matthew0404
• •
p.543 #18 · p.543 #18 · Alternative Image Thread 3

A few images from my 5d2 and pre-AI Nikkor-S 50mm f/1.4. A very nice little lens that I find on my camera more than its Zuiko counter part.

Fall Flare by mkrepp, on Flickr

Fall Colors by mkrepp, on Flickr

Untitled by mkrepp, on Flickr

Oct 08, 2012 at 03:01 AM
rattymouse
• • • • •
p.543 #19 · p.543 #19 · Alternative Image Thread 3

Don't know if this is allowed in this thread. I always think of alt as anything not Canon or Nikon.

Fuji X100

Oct 08, 2012 at 04:00 AM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.543 #20 · p.543 #20 · Alternative Image Thread 3

Matthew0404 wrote:
A few images from my 5d2 and pre-AI Nikkor-S 50mm f/1.4. A very nice little lens that I find on my camera more than its Zuiko counter part.

trippy!

really like the first one.

Oct 08, 2012 at 04:08 AM

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password