New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2007 · A Different Kind of 90mm

rico
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A Different Kind of 90mm

A Leica rangefinder lens can be attached to your DSLRs if it has a longer focal length, if certain adapters are acquired, and if you're slightly nuts. The system designed by Leitz that makes this possible is called Visoflex, and gives M or LTM bodies the TTL framing and GG focus of SLR cameras. The vast array of components includes mirror boxes, adapters, bellows, focussing units, lenses, prisms, magnifiers, and cable releases.

With a moving mirror added to the light path, the lens register is necessarily increased. That increase will cause RF lenses to lose infinity focus. To address the problem in part, Leitz offered a dedicated lens (Elmar 65/3.5), and designed long lenses with removeable heads. Unlike a telephoto lens, a long lens has its optical cell at the far end of the barrel: this cell can unscrew into your hands, and then be remounted into a short barrel or bellows for Viso purposes. With a system like this, who needs Nikon F?

Seventy years later, it seems perfectly logical that the front end of the Viso system is ready to roll with the latest FF Canon DSLR, if adapters are available. My first thought was a 90mm head, short barrel, Leitz Viso-to-R adapter, R-to-EOS adapter, and 1Ds. I then discovered an eBay seller of Chinese Leitz Viso-to-EOS adapters - a welcome simplification.

While some Leitz 50 lenses can be used on Visoflex, they are limited to close-up applications. The first FL for standard lenses is 90mm, and there are several optical designs of varying aperture and character. My chosen optic for this report is the rare 3-element Elmar 90/4 of 1961 vintage. One of my favorites, this lens has a build quality and finish which can no longer be produced, even by Leica AG. For such an old and simple design, it is a powerful performer. Its optical quality and $1000 expense makes it a good candidate for my testing (and the $100 worth of adapters).

Okay, time to show pictures. First is the Elmar 90 in its natural habitat:

Second is a parts inventory. From left to right: original Elmar barrel focusser, Viso short-barrel focusser (OUAGO) for 3- and 4-element Elmar 90, the Elmar 90 head, the Viso M-to-EOS adapter, the 1Ds.

Third is the Elmar reconfigured for digital activities:

Fourth is a still life at full aperture, lit by Profoto beauty dish:

Fifth is an urban scenic, f/8, 4sec:

Finally, a Vogue-style portrait, lens wide open, Profoto zoom reflector:

All pictures shown are Alt. Besides the Elmar, #1 used a CZ S-Planar 100/4 C/Y with bellows and 2x Mutar II, while #2 and #3 used the lovely CZ Sonnar 100/3.5 C/Y on the not-so-lovely D30 (showing its age).

Ciao!

Ref: Visoflex Primer

Nov 10, 2007 at 04:53 PM
caleb condit
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A Different Kind of 90mm

fairly complicated to get it to work, but the tones look amazing!

Nov 11, 2007 at 01:16 PM
Graham Mitchell
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A Different Kind of 90mm

The results look great at this size.

Nov 11, 2007 at 01:27 PM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A Different Kind of 90mm

Given the vintage of Visoflex, the main attraction is optical character and enjoying the use of quality equipment, rather than modern performance. For shooters of Leica M classics, you get dual use of your (longer) lenses. Prices of non-collector pieces are cheap, too. The Elmar 90 I tested is remarkably sharp but, even better, has graceful rendition: little or no linear distortion, CA, coma. The single-coated surfaces suppress obvious flare, but allow a small halo around bright lights. For your pixel-peeping enjoyment, here are lightly-sharpened 1x-scale crops throughout the frames #4 and #5.

Nov 13, 2007 at 12:07 AM
apras

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A Different Kind of 90mm

wow makes me wants it....Bravo Rico!!!

where did you get the Viso-eos adapter?

Nov 13, 2007 at 02:01 AM
felixshmak

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A Different Kind of 90mm

I'm speechless, lovely colour tones

Nov 13, 2007 at 07:08 AM
StevenPA
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A Different Kind of 90mm

Beautiful results, Rico, and it looks fantastic attached to the Canon.

Nov 13, 2007 at 07:38 AM
rico
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A Different Kind of 90mm

apras wrote:
where did you get the Viso-eos adapter?

From eBayer "buyitjnow". It is solid metal, and sturdy. The edges could use some anglage but, for USD 60, I can't complain. eBayer "markhsu_100" sells the premium Kindai brand (Japan), but they cost 3x, or almost $200 - more expensive than many Viso lenses!

Nov 14, 2007 at 03:43 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.